Bit Of A Yarn

Kumara

2 hours ago, Reefton said:

I haven’t got the calculation because I am not home but on a proportionate basis on population and turnover Ellerslie should be turning over (I think) $40m  on course per Raceday.  They are a dollar or two away.

The boot into Ellerslie based on KPI turnover per race day by surrounding population.......Gee wiz.....i thought you were better than that.

Let me guess you also have not variant for clubs that sustain multiple meetings per year v one meeting clubs.

Just shows you will look for any angle to justify to keep doing things based on the past.

1 minute ago, Chief Stipe said:

That's a false metric to use.  NZTR make that choice and it is apparent that it isn't made on sound business rationale.

So let me guess.......your solution would be to 1/2 the number of race meetings at Riccarton and have 15 race meetings a year on the Coast?

9 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Just shows you will look for any angle to justify to keep doing things based on the past.

Sorry but can you tell me any decision that our administrators have made in the last 20 years that has made a difference?

All you are promoting is that closing clubs down will save cost and generate more revenue.  Yet there is no evidence to support that.  Us mere uninformed mortals are not deigned important enough to even see the AWT business cases.

• Like 1

Just now, Tesio said:

It’s not the 1st of April Chief

Well then stop behaving like it is.  Look a bit deeper at the numbers AFTER you subtract the advantages the big clubs have been given.

Now explain to me how the high cost model of providing the product at Riccarton is going to raise stakes and sustain them AND maintain the new AWT?

While you're at tell me how a multi million dollar IT development at NZTR is going to improve the product and generate more revenue?

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Well then stop behaving like it is.  Look a bit deeper at the numbers AFTER you subtract the advantages the big clubs have been given.

Now explain to me how the high cost model of providing the product at Riccarton is going to raise stakes and sustain them AND maintain the new AWT?

While you're at tell me how a multi million dollar IT development at NZTR is going to improve the product and generate more revenue?

I’m not a magician chief......and i don't claim to know everything....but I’m a realist and i understand Industry trends and widgets .........Everyone has a part to play.......but in Westlands case and now seems like the remaining “Avondale of the coast” clubs ....not facing reality and front footing things will cost you in the long run.

We all know NZTR, TAB and all those fat cat idiots of the past have dealt us a bad hand........but you can only play with the cards you have been dealt. The sooner West Coast racing realise that and does something about it the better. What’s the point of having clubs for 155 years like you hag your hat on Chief, if the club or the DNA of a club is not around for another 20yrs, 50yrs, 100yrs.

Merge and move forward bigger and stronger is my final parting point on this particular thread.

29 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Sorry but can you tell me any decision that our administrators have made in the last 20 years that has made a difference?

All you are promoting is that closing clubs down will save cost and generate more revenue.  Yet there is no evidence to support that.  Us mere uninformed mortals are not deigned important enough to even see the AWT business cases.

That is part of his argument , yesterday one of his responses was that " propping up these lame duck tracks was costing the industry resources " namely horse numbers , therefor owners , and if we simply close these " lame ducks " then owners would come surging back into racing horses .

All day his argument was that owners gave up because they had to travel too much and retrenching to where the horse numbers were was the solution . Couldn't give me any answers , around financial gains from closing the lame duck tracks and how these would flow into increased stakes and returns to owners , after many repeated attempts .

He thinks we are all against the closure of any tracks , which far from the truth , we all understand that change has to happen . What we want tho is a clear plan along with consultation , a plan that gives clarity and direction .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Merge and move forward bigger and stronger is my final parting point on this particular thread.

Why?  That isn't happening in OZ.  Geez some of the clubs in OZ are in smaller towns than Hokitika.

So by merging you are suggesting what the Messara report says - all move to Kumara and build a "better place".  What for?  One meeting a year?  Or three in one week?

What is wrong with a Club and its community having their own course if it costs the industry nothing?  As Reefton said if trainers and owners stop going there then sure close down.

But some of these clubs actually have the resources to provide better stakes than they do but aren't allowed to.

Why not make the majority of race dates contestable?  Set minimal criteria to hold a race meeting and then let the clubs bid for the dates based on the stakes they will provide.

What do we have instead?  Examples like the Karaka Millions - sweepstake races half funded by the rest of the industry.  Races that don't generate sufficient revenue to cover costs!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So by merging you are suggesting what the Messara report says - all move to Kumara and build a "better place".  What for?  One meeting a year?  Or three in one week?

No does not have to be Kumara.......you guys cant fight on that one...your pretty good at that

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why not make the majority of race dates contestable?  Set minimal criteria to hold a race meeting and then let the clubs bid for the dates based on the stakes they will provide.

So a calendar that is changing every year.....crazy Chief

29 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Curious.....the industry is not self sustainable....

Used to be 15 years ago. We need to get back to that. Start by lowering stakes to align with revenue then sort out tracks, handicapping etc. Let the revenue from sports go to sports and from pokies to the communities providing it. That would make it sustainable.

Edited by curious

6 minutes ago, curious said:

Used to be 15 years ago. We need to get back to that. Start by lowering stakes to align with revenue then sort out tracks, handicapping etc. Let the revenue from sports go to sports and from pokies to the communities providing it. That would make it sustainable.

You been drinking rums on a Sunday afternoon? You would have no racing industry if you did that.

4 hours ago, Tesio said:

Maybe some of the people who attended the “sold out day” might have different views.

I think a sell out is a pass mark in most books.

I was there and 99% of them would have no idea what won, what sort of racing(gallops or trots) they were at nor any interest.  It was just a day for young people to get pissed, the wannabes to be seen and the regulars to get pissed off with the security and bullshit.  Ellerslie is the same on Karaka Million and Derby day and so was Cromwell today - it those attendees are the future of NZ racing we are in crappers creek.  But according to you and your simpleton mates in the Messara cheer squad they are.  Trouble is they have the attention span of a flea.

More on the Otago racing Club’s performance today later but one of my new Irish friends queued 25 minutes for a beer and could not believe when he got to the front of the queue they promptly shut the bar. Good way to impress a potential racing devotee.  More big Club cockups

• Like 1