Bit Of A Yarn

Kumara

8 minutes ago, Reefton said:

I was there and 99% of them would have no idea what won, what sort of racing(gallops or trots) they were at nor any interest.  It was just a day for young people to get pissed, the wannabes to be seen and the regulars to get pissed off with the security and bullshit.  Ellerslie is the same on Karaka Million and Derby day and so was Cromwell today - it those attendees are the future of NZ racing we are in crappers creek.  But according to you and your simpleton mates in the Messara cheer squad they are.  Trouble is they have the attention span of a flea.

More on the Otago racing Club’s performance today later but one of my new Irish friends queued 25 minutes for a beer and could not believe when he got to the front of the queue they promptly shut the bar. Good way to impress a potential racing devotee.  More big Club cockups

So you are bagging Cup Day, Derby Day, Karaka Million & even todays big day at Cromwell.......best you do stick to just worrying about reefton races then.

48 minutes ago, Tesio said:

So a calendar that is changing every year.....crazy Chief

No the main big race days stay the same and the days on which meetings are held stay the same.  But a proportion of the latter are contested for.  Need to introduce some market forces in somehow.

If Westland was able to provide stakes above the average then why couldn't they have been given the opportunity.

4 minutes ago, Tesio said:

So you are bagging Cup Day, Derby Day, Karaka Million & even todays big day at Cromwell.......best you do stick to just worrying about reefton races then.

No he isn't bagging those days what he is saying I think that we have lost our way by focusing on the party rather than what differentiates us from every other gig in town - the sport of racing a fine animal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Those are our biggest losers that we can't afford. We can't keep spending more than we earn to sustain days like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tesio said:

Maybe some of the people who attended the “sold out day” might have different views.

I think a sell out is a pass mark in most books.

LMAO,  how people like you justify your opinions on a bunch of boozers turning up for race day 2 times a year, they wouldn't know a horse was running let give a toss about having a bet. If you think that's the magic cure for the future of nz racing then you're in for a helluva a surprise! 

• Champ Post 2

6 hours ago, Tesio said:

The boot into Ellerslie based on KPI turnover per race day by surrounding population.......Gee wiz.....i thought you were better than that.

Let me guess you also have not variant for clubs that sustain multiple meetings per year v one meeting clubs.

Just shows you will look for any angle to justify to keep doing things based on the past.

Why shouldn't there be, these multiple race meeting clubs have full time staff no excuses!

5 hours ago, nomates said:

That is part of his argument , yesterday one of his responses was that " propping up these lame duck tracks was costing the industry resources " namely horse numbers , therefor owners , and if we simply close these " lame ducks " then owners would come surging back into racing horses .

All day his argument was that owners gave up because they had to travel too much and retrenching to where the horse numbers were was the solution . Couldn't give me any answers , around financial gains from closing the lame duck tracks and how these would flow into increased stakes and returns to owners , after many repeated attempts .

He thinks we are all against the closure of any tracks , which far from the truth , we all understand that change has to happen . What we want tho is a clear plan along with consultation , a plan that gives clarity and direction .

And one that's transparent and fair,  which would mean some of the big clubs also would not have a future, that's the problem I have with it, continuing to race at a big club just because they send someone to NZTR meetings once a month is not necessarily a reason to keep that club open, their futures also need to be assessed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Huey said:

LMAO,  how people like you justify your opinions on a bunch of boozers turning up for race day 2 times a year, they wouldn't know a horse was running let give a toss about having a bet. If you think that's the magic cure for the future of nz racing then you're in for a helluva a surprise! 

Maybe have a look at turnover figures for those days Huey

1 hour ago, Huey said:

This is the area that needs to addressed and looked into how we can change them in to having an interest. I was at Awapuni a couple of weeks ago and went and watched the main race in the public area, there was one area there that  looked to be a decent party going on but not one person even stopped to glance out at some decent gallopers going past them, they didn't even know the race was on I doubt. 

I suggested a few years ago at a regional meeting type thing about the need for a portable ticket machine for the big picnic days where groups of people a lounging around in the sun being social, they don't want to leave there conversation to go have a bet.  Instead go to them and sell them a bet and not just expect them to go to the tote window.  I'm sure with modern technology a portable ticket machine isnt too big an ask. 

Edited by Bid
Spelling

12 minutes ago, Freda said:

Maybe have a look at net revenue instead.

Gee how predictable someone would come back with that. So on your net revenue bases Freda, we would cancel cup day, the derby, karaka million, hell you may as well cancel the oaks while your at it.

Then we can all run around in 7 horse fields at reefton 10 times a year. I wonder how long the remaining owners and punters stay in the game then.

I may as well go outside and talk to the sheep, they would make more sense.

12 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Gee how predictable someone would come back with that. So on your net revenue bases Freda, we would cancel cup day, the derby, karaka million, hell you may as well cancel the oaks while your at it.

Then we can all run around in 7 horse fields at reefton 10 times a year. I wonder how long the remaining owners and punters stay in the game then.

I may as well go outside and talk to the sheep, they would make more sense.

I wouldn't do that, your sheep don't trust you!

18 minutes ago, Tesio said:

So on your net revenue bases Freda, we would cancel cup day, the derby, karaka million, hell you may as well cancel the oaks while your at it.

Yes, exactly. The Warehouse, for example, has just closed all their unprofitable stores. On  a business basis, racing needs to do likewise. Either scrap them or bring the cost/stakes in line with earnings. Otherwise what we have remains unsustainable.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

33 minutes ago, Freda said:

Maybe have a look at net revenue instead.

Absolutely, if the industry, me/you/others didn't kick in K500 to boost Krapa day, that K500 could fund how many maidens, or help fund an apprentices academy, better still buy a property or 2 for re-homing the slow and unwanted gallopers, just like we do in NSW and soon in QLD.....now thats a furphy in good old NZ......who gives a fuck what happens to the horses struggling to find a home? I bet Saundry and his sycophants don't lose sleep each night over that one.......the industry should fund equine welfare, not donations from the benevolent public.........to do that we need people with a conscience and compassion........piss Karaka and all the bullshit that goes with it off and stop hand feeding the northern cartel and the blow hards from Punceenby.....etc........look after the good buggers in racing by asking for their input, the learned buggers, the experienced buggers, Messara turned out to be a Walter Mitty, Peters might have delivered some tax breaks but in the wash up he was Messara's Siamese twin.........taxing the exports and the private sales to Asia will assist with prizemoney, there MUST be a levy on all young horses exported from the sales ex vendor not buyer!,      how the hell are we going to pay back the 72 million plus the ongoing fee debacle if this doesn't happen?

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Tesio said:

Ok , finally you accept that the big days are not sustainable on their own , sweet , that's why we need the smaller days at the smaller clubs , the ones that don't cost the earth to run , the ones that give the non city class horse a chance to win a race for their battling owner , if they choose to travel there . The ones that garner revenue above their cost , and when that revenue is added to all the other " industry days " help prop up the big days .

But guess who's not moaning about that process , the smaller clubs , they understand the process , they understand there is a chain that has to be maintained for the good of the whole industry . They just want some respect for playing their part in keeping the industry strong .

But guess who is moaning , people like yourself that think they as sucking the industry dry , that don't understand that the strength and health of the industry is measured by how well your lesser clubs are doing . Like the old saying , look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves .

3 hours ago, Huey said:

Just shows you will look for any angle to justify to keep doing things based on the past.

Jesus, Mary and Christ , we are the one that want change , what part of it don't you get , go back and find some of the topics discussed over the last few months , WE WANT CHANGE , CHANGE FOR THE BETTER .

Things still being done based on the past , stakes , handicapping/ratings , our black type races  the way our industry is managed , the lack of track maintenance , these things are part of the old model that hasn't been working for a decade or more , but who isn't changing these things , the people you purport to support , they are the ones that are continuing to do things that are based on the past , things that have helped get us into the shit , so much so we needed a Govt bail out , if ever there was a wakeup call for change it was that , but no they continue to follow the same old model . 

Well good luck with that because a couple of new A/W track aren't going to solve it nor closing a multitude of tracks . We are in an ever decreasing circle , this will just continue that process .

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

To add - we have, over the years, seen the closure or relocation of clubs/tracks here in the south, not as a result of 'the big stick' but, through market forces or changing demographic to which Reefton has alluded.

Hororata, Amberley, Nelson, Westport, Geraldine,Wyndham,Tapanui, Beaumont come to mind.

Add Waimate, Waikouaiti, Winton, Oamaru, Blenheim and Rangiora to the 'forced' pile.    There may be others I haven't mentioned,  and also we have a plethora of Hunt Clubs which no longer have a day.

I don't see any business case from on high to indicate just how beneficial those closures have been, the voluntary ones may have seen some local upside in the change, but to the industry?

It's only the asset grab that is driving this latest travesty, again - as Reefton has said - simple economics will determine which stays and which doesn't, without any draconian measures.

But the unsustainable model will just keep on keeping on, as long as there is funding to be plundered from somewhere,  supported by Tesio and his buddies.   I'm charitable enough to think that they want a successful industry, as we all do - but sadly, logic and reasoned discussion just doesn't sink in.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Tesio said:

Not one of them would stand on its own two feet financially without huge industry input but no obviously I am not bagging those days as horse racing events just questioning the way they pander to the drunken masses and treat their real regular devotees like mugs.

• Like 1

Now on the topic of Cromwell yesterday and the Otago Racing Club’s carry on.

the positives - beautifully presented track(no doubt prepared by voluntary enthusiasts in Cromwell itself), good standard of racing and from my perspective good company.  A great day if people watching spins your wheels and of course seeing CWJ get ever so close to that record.  I would love to be there to witness the great day.

BUT as I have said people queuing for 25 minutes for a beer then them closing the bar.  

It cost $25 to get in(that’s life I guess and I could have stayed away)but when I tried to go back to the vehicle was told no pass outs and it would cost $25 to get back in.

Some lady running the Fashions in the Field with a highly irritating and loud voice competing with Justin Evans at the start of the second or third race(thought we had another Tom Woods and the National Anthem on our hands).  Where is the focus in these Clubs?  Surely they can educate these people to shut up when the commentator speaks?

Then a couple of half wits wandering along the track at about the 500m mark before the 5th or 6th race.  Some of Tesio’s future of NZ racing no doubt.  We might occasionally bag the stipes but they did a great job spotting that and averting a potential tragedy.

those Christmas at the races tents blocking the view down the back straight (and no grandstand to let you see over them)

the disgraceful situation of no first day form in the racebook. 

Then as a result of a snarky little comment by some woman with a walkie talkie when I said I had managed to get into the owners area I decided to check the officials page.  For a piddle arsed outfit that opens 10 or 12 days a year they have a General Manager, an Events Coordinator and a Finance Manager plus probably two or three office staff no doubt.  If I couldn’t run that joint on my ear and by myself I’ll go hee...   I have witnessed potential trouble with dickhead ORC people before(Andre Klein was lucky not to get his face punched in by my (admittedly non racing) mate one year when he insulted the Coast Clubs)

Great day but in so many ways a decidedly average standard of service from one of the big Clubs that are going to save NZ racing.

• Champ Post 1

9 hours ago, nomates said:

But guess who is moaning , people like yourself that think they as sucking the industry dry

When have i claimed the small clubs are sucking the industry dry? What i have been defending is you people on here claiming your small clubs get “no Industry support”.

secondly i have been outlining the industry cant sustain the number of clubs and venues, and race meetings......owners and horse numbers are not there and they will never come back.....so time to face reality

10 minutes ago, Tesio said:

When have i claimed the small clubs are sucking the industry dry? What i have been defending is you people on here claiming your small clubs get “no Industry support”.

secondly i have been outlining the industry cant sustain the number of clubs and venues, and race meetings......owners and horse numbers are not there and they will never come back.....so time to face reality

So, shoving the remainder into a high- cost operation where not only staffing costs are significant,  but stabling and residential costs are huge, is going to save us all?

Those who have to try and buy a house in CHCH if relocating from Ashburton might beg to differ.

• Like 3