Bit Of A Yarn

New Plymouth 29 December - 58 horses 7 Races. Why?

Chief Stipe

Have horse numbers in the CD dropped to below levels to sustain racing in the District?

If it wasn't for the Northern visitors the fields would be decimated.

The Taranaki track isn't the best in the CD by a long stretch - is that the reason for the lack of numbers?

Or was it a dumb idea to run two meetings two days apart?

Maybe it highlights how stuffed our supposedly 2 Tier systems is - any trainer/owner with any brains would wait for the Premier meetings if numbers are low.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have horse numbers in the CD dropped to below levels to sustain racing in the District?

If it wasn't for the Northern visitors the fields would be decimated.

The Taranaki track isn't the best in the CD by a long stretch - is that the reason for the lack of numbers?

Or was it a dumb idea to run two meetings two days apart?

Maybe it highlights how stuffed our supposedly 2 Tier systems is - any trainer/owner with any brains would wait for the Premier meetings if numbers are low.

Isnt this the meeting that used to be held at Stratford? Perhaps 2 day carnivals just dont work?

36 minutes ago, Freda said:

Timaru yesterday held a great day with good racing, pleasant surroundings and a good crowd.

Track was excellent. 

Not another meeting for six months, a committee person said.

The problem lays in Petone, fair and square, I bet most of them need a GPS to find Timaru, would struggle to spell it, and have never been anywhere near there, and, have no ambition to either I'm betting.

Grass roots racing is fundamental to the integrity of racing, Saundry was not considered a success at his previous employment, well, by many trainers and owners that is, especially the delightful Kate Goodrich, and Cameron George and Bernard have just sent out a stomach churning thank you to all the owners out there, it makes me sick, and you now have two Australians overseeing a sunset industry that has suffered a procession of 'imports' that did SFA and collected obscene salaries that coalface people found offensive.

Saundry has had tenure during the saddest demise of all, and now George is the new messiah? Denying a venue such as Timaru for that period is disgusting and once the AWT starts breaking up, as it will, they'll go cap in hand to the Timaru committee. What a farce this all is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The problem lays in Petone, fair and square, I bet most of them need a GPS to find Timaru, would struggle to spell it, and have never been anywhere near there, and, have no ambition to either I'm betting.

Grass roots racing is fundamental to the integrity of racing, Saundry was not considered a success at his previous employment, well, by many trainers and owners that is, especially the delightful Kate Goodrich, and Cameron George and Bernard have just sent out a stomach churning thank you to all the owners out there, it makes me sick, and you now have two Australians overseeing a sunset industry that has suffered a procession of 'imports' that did SFA and collected obscene salaries that coalface people found offensive.

Saundry has had tenure during the saddest demise of all, and now George is the new messiah? Denying a venue such as Timaru for that period is disgusting and once the AWT starts breaking up, as it will, they'll go cap in hand to the Timaru committee. What a farce this all is.

Rumours floating about re Saundry.....direct quote from Richard Callander in his article today ..

• I keep hearing whispers that former CEO of Racing Victoria Bernard Saundry, who is currently CEO of NZ Racing, could be parachuted back into a high profile role within Victorian racing.

Having said that, don't believe a word Callander says, he's a fraudster remember and a blight on our press/media for appointing him to a journalists role. He's the head of the NSW trainers association also, so it's comedy/tragedy row here. How he never went to jail for his role in defrauding the owners of Lil'Caesar is beyond me, he admitted it, broke down blubbering, he has NO credibility amongst many of the racing fraternity here.

• Like 1

And so it continues....Wairarapa fields out, only 6 races and 1 race has 6 horse and another has 7......do we even need racing on the 2nd Jan after a action packed 1 Jan across the country? This race meeting should have been pulled with these fields, more Industry money going up in smoke.

17 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Totally agree Joe.  Deliberate policies made by the woeful NZTR have resulted in a shortage of product (horses and meetings) to satisfy demand at their busiest time of the year (as voted by the consumers).  That is why they continually have to go cap in hand to the Govt.

Yes and I got that email.  I printed it off held it over the toilet bowl and let the shit drip off it.

• Champ Post 3

1 hour ago, Tesio said:

And so it continues....Wairarapa fields out, only 6 races and 1 race has 6 horse and another has 7......do we even need racing on the 2nd Jan after a action packed 1 Jan across the country? This race meeting should have been pulled with these fields, more Industry money going up in smoke.

There is 4 or 5 harness races as well so still a big day. The 12-15000 people that'll be there would not be going to any other race meeting so better off giving them some racing than none at all. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 9:58 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Doesn't bode well for the West Coast next week then - 3 meetings in a week.  Although the law of averages says one of those will be cancelled due to weather.

Noms for West Coast (no surprise there lot of loyal trainers send their horses there every year - led by Kevin Myers) and Otaki (surprise) good

17 hours ago, Tesio said:

Rumours floating about re Saundry.....direct quote from Richard Callander in his article today ..

• I keep hearing whispers that former CEO of Racing Victoria Bernard Saundry, who is currently CEO of NZ Racing, could be parachuted back into a high profile role within Victorian racing.

I'll help him pack - not that I trust Dick Callander

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Tesio said:

Great noms for Otaki, it appears many of the trainers west of the divide are avoiding Tauherenikau, it can be like concrete, or a skating rink, Otaki a lovely sole of grass.......same stakes, so there's got to be a reason.

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

I'll help him pack - not that I trust Dick Callander

On rat cafe the bloke that might be wearing arrow patten pyjamas shortly is now defending the board, best board in memory he says, the euphoria of all that moula pouring in from the America's Cup has jumbled his grey matter, he's lost the plot, is the air heavy with hooch smoke down there in the Viaduct? Defending Saundry and George? and the board,......there has to be an ulterior motive,......surely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bid said:

There is 4 or 5 harness races as well so still a big day. The 12-15000 people that'll be there would not be going to any other race meeting so better off giving them some racing than none at all. 

Those dual code meetings in this situation are probably good,it promotes harness which needs all the promotion it can get.........12 to 15000 people,really?

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

On rat cafe the bloke that might be wearing arrow patten pyjamas shortly is now defending the board, best board in memory he says, the euphoria of all that moula pouring in from the America's Cup has jumbled his grey matter, he's lost the plot, is the air heavy with hooch smoke down there in the Viaduct? Defending Saundry and George? and the board,......there has to be an ulterior motive,......surely.

Ulterior motive would be that he is missing his enforced sojourn from racecourses (banned) and wants back in.  During my Channel X days Molloy was quite close with George.  Formed some camaraderie during the sordid McAnulty affair.

In terms of measuring the performance of the Board I would have to say it is up there with the best at being bad.  They are essentially the same bunch that have driven the industry to its knees.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

He and Cammo have always been thick as thieves

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Ulterior motive would be that he is missing his enforced sojourn from racecourses (banned) and wants back in.  During my Channel X days Molloy was quite close with George.  Formed some camaraderie during the sordid McAnulty affair.

In terms of measuring the performance of the Board I would have to say it is up there with the best at being bad.  They are essentially the same bunch that have driven the industry to its knees.   

We can all see that, well I think we can, he can't, and that's a worry.

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yep total bias, so I wouldn't pay it any credence.