Bit Of A Yarn

Boxing Day - Ellerslie v Westport Trots

Reefton

12 hours ago, wally said:

strapper 1200 dollars for 2  day work are you serious

No Wally, the working week inc 2 days Raceday attendance. But show me a kiwi stablehand that gets anywhere near that? A leading W Farm stable is offering K75 plus an apartment for a top foreman.......that's why there are thousands of Kiwi strappers and so many foreman here in Oz. Makes you ponder then why there are Oz bosses at racing HQ in NZ, although it wouldn't be that hard to work 'that' out.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2020 at 5:35 PM, Reefton said:

Anyone know what the Ellerslie Oncourse was on Boxing Day?

Because I just read in the local rag that Westport did $220k which for a town of 4000 equates to $55 for every man woman and child.  If Ellerslie wants to justify it's favoured treatment surely it must have turned over $71m or so oncourse? 

I have just got Cameron and Bernard's new year message and while it may be unpalatable here is mine to them.  Stop subsidising and giving all the sweet treatment to the lame ducks of the industry, the incompetent, the over staffed and under performing.  Let them  stand on their own two feet and justify their existence instead of robbing the rest of the industry.  Sell up the overrated dump(now you have the power under the new Act) and invest the funds where it will return to the industry vastly more than the useless ARC with all its wanky wannabe behaviour is capable of.  Ditto most of the other Metropolitan Clubs including Te Rapa, Awapuni, Trentham and Riccarton.  Show some real leadership and make some hard hard calls.

Cmon Reefer, the referendum legailising what you're On didn't make it remember...

Heres a small point for a starter in 10...

Does Westport have a captive holiday audience at the mo taking into consideration there's sfa to do there but get the Trots?

7 hours ago, Thomass said:

Cmon Reefer, the referendum legailising what you're On didn't make it remember...

Heres a small point for a starter in 10...

Does Westport have a captive holiday audience at the mo taking into consideration there's sfa to do there but get the Trots?

sfa Thomass? Reminds me of what's between your ears. But if we are talking sfa then I would have to say that Boxing Day or any other day at Ellerslie is of sfa interest to the vast vast vast majority of Aucklanders.  All the more reason to cash up the overrated dump and use the proceeds to really improve NZ racing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

sfa Thomass? Reminds me of what's between your ears. But if we are talking sfa then I would have to say that Boxing Day or any other day at Ellerslie is of sfa interest to the vast vast vast majority of Aucklanders.  All the more reason to cash up the overrated dump and use the proceeds to really improve NZ racing.

So ridiculous it’s borderline funny

• Champ Post 1

The ARC are no friends of mine.  but to call it a dump is beyond ludicrous . Went out there with people the other day for first time in 10 years and all remarked what a beautful race course it is. 

As for cashing it up, no chance, when plans are for a synthetic track and the 3 Auckland clubs to race there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

The ARC are no friends of mine.  but to call it a dump is beyond ludicrous . Went out there with people the other day for first time in 10 years and all remarked what a beautful race course it is. 

As for cashing it up, no chance, when plans are for a synthetic track and the 3 Auckland clubs to race there.

But nobody wants to go there? If it is so good why aren't they thronging in?  You see you and the likes of Tesio and Thomass are unable to see that there is a 3 or 4 billion dollar investment(100% per cent paid for by the NZ racing jndustry I might add) that is sitting there and not performing (financially).  

There are none so blind as they who will not see.

Kumara (I will remind everyone a town of 300 - yes that is 300 not 1.3 million) will get  a crowd nearly as big as Ellerslie did on Boxing Day next Saturday.

Think about it

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

I'd love to see the business plan for that. Just don't see how it could be financially viable without continuing substantial subsidies. I wouldn't be buying shares in the venture.

On the other hand, I agree it is a great place to go racing and was just lamenting waking on New Years day without being there and facing the prospect of 2 consecutive stellar days of quality racing. Introduced a few newbies to the game on those days over the years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reefton said:

But nobody wants to go there? If it is so good why aren't they thronging in?  You see you and the likes of Tesio and Thomass are unable to see that there is a 3 or 4 billion dollar investment(100% per cent paid for by the NZ racing jndustry I might add) that is sitting there and not performing (financially).  

There are none so blind as they who will not see.

Kumara (I will remind everyone a town of 300 - yes that is 300 not 1.3 million) will get  a crowd nearly as big as Ellerslie did on Boxing Day next Saturday.

Think about it

Enjoy the racing today at Ellerslie.....or are you that anty any city course you dont even want to watch on TV either?

2 hours ago, Tesio said:

Enjoy the racing today at Ellerslie.....or are you that anty any city course you dont even want to watch on TV either?

Look Tesio I have said it before - I am not particularly anti anyone in this game but I had to fight bloody hard to keep my Club's raceday and as part of that we had this constant suggestion that the likes of the ARC are carrying the NZ racing industry.  They are not and they are not the b all and end all of NZ racing as some would have you believe. They use a disproportionate share of the cake and, despite the fawning admiration for the odd day they get a decent crowd the reality is it an exceptionally valuable asset of the industry that is returning a poor rate of return.

I have been lucky enough(and it is luck) to have had a share in a G1 winner (at Ellerslie of all places) and several other G1 runners so I have enjoyed the fruits of these pinnacle days myself.  It is a bit rich for me to rail too strongly against them.

If I was the ARC chair I would be seriously considering a radical plan to relocate and use those billions of dollars of assets to really aid the Industry and secure its future. And then the ARC would deserve the admiration and gratitude that would come it's way.

For all that I probably won't be watching too much if any of Ellerslie today simply because it does not interest me too much.  I will look at Riverton because it is the likes of Pam, Pitty, Paul Harris and others that I know and like that I want follow (not that Pam has anything in down there I don't think).

Bernard's go to statement when we was travelling around the country was 'the status quo is not an option'.  Well as I have said before for the likes of the Reefton Jockey Club the status quo bloody well is an option.  We are not sucking the industry dry - it is the big clubs and the big days(stakeswise) that are finding the status quo untenable (and there are a lot of other contributing factors as well I acknowledge).  Let those big Clubs get off their arse, make some tough calls and sort their own salvation out.  I am sick to death of the bleating, mainly from the Waikato factions, of people who do not want to help themselves.

Happy New Year, have a good day and hope you back plenty of winners.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 3

28 minutes ago, Reefton said:

Look Tesio I have said it before - I am not particularly anti anyone in this game but I had to fight bloody hard to keep my Club's raceday and as part of that we had this constant suggestion that the likes of the ARC are carrying the NZ racing industry.  They are not and they are not the b all and end all of NZ racing as some would have you believe. They use a disproportionate share of the cake and, despite the fawning admiration for the odd day they get a decent crowd the reality is it an exceptionally valuable asset of the industry that is returning a poor rate of return.

I have been lucky enough(and it is luck) to have had a share in a G1 winner (at Ellerslie of all places) and several other G1 runners so I have enjoyed the fruits of these pinnacle days myself.  It is a bit rich for me to rail too strongly against them.

If I was the ARC chair I would be seriously considering a radical plan to relocate and use those billions of dollars of assets to really aid the Industry and secure its future. And then the ARC would deserve the admiration and gratitude that would come it's way.

For all that I probably won't be watching too much if any of Ellerslie today simply because it does not interest me too much.  I will look at Riverton because it is the likes of Pam, Pitty, Paul Harris and others that I know and like that I want follow (not that Pam has anything in down there I don't think).

Bernard's go to statement when we was travelling around the country was 'the status quo is not an option'.  Well as I have said before for the likes of the Reefton Jockey Club the status quo bloody well is an option.  We are not sucking the industry dry - it is the big clubs and the big days(stakeswise) that are finding the status quo untenable (and there are a lot of other contributing factors as well I acknowledge).  Let those big Clubs get off their arse, make some tough calls and sort their own salvation out.  I am sick to death of the bleating, mainly from the Waikato factions, of people who do not want to help themselves.

Happy New Year, have a good day and hope you back plenty of winners.

Status quo not a option,I know that today's Riverton meeting despite the rain will do pretty well,will they close Riverton and race at Ascot Park,anyone that would make that sort of idea is a halfwit but they are thinking it could happen in a few years,if the status quo is not a option will some of those meetings in the CD that only have 6 or 7 races remain,if Riccarton get a AWT will that make the best galloping track at Washdyke redundant,sometimes change is good but also sometimes the status quo that's worked perfectly fine is still fine,incidentally I read a article from the ODT,a new guy back in charge of Wingatui saying they would welcome Forbury racing on their grass track,wonder if that's was just the odd day or every week in june and july included,gets a bit wet down south in winter

6 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Status quo not a option,I know that today's Riverton meeting despite the rain will do pretty well,will they close Riverton and race at Ascot Park,anyone that would make that sort of idea is a halfwit but they are thinking it could happen in a few years,if the status quo is not a option will some of those meetings in the CD that only have 6 or 7 races remain,if Riccarton get a AWT will that make the best galloping track at Washdyke redundant,sometimes change is good but also sometimes the status quo that's worked perfectly fine is still fine,incidentally I read a article from the ODT,a new guy back in charge of Wingatui saying they would welcome Forbury racing on their grass track,wonder if that's was just the odd day or every week in june and july included,gets a bit wet down south in winter

Don't give Bernard any ideas , he will be pushing for it. He hasn't a clue what makes the industry tick.

• Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

The Status Quo is not an option , but it is at these big full time clubs for some reason.

There is still plenty of life left in racing,look at all the southern trainers racing today,its the peak of summer and they all have a few going around,why,because they have a passion for what they are doing,and it will probably carry on as such,the thing that could make a big difference is if the suits shift all winter racing to Riccarton,I dont reckon they will completely but those east coast winter meetings keep the southerners going.

• Like 1

Just now, mikeynz said:

There is still plenty of life left in racing,look at all the southern trainers racing today,its the peak of summer and they all have a few going around,why,because they have a passion for what they are doing,and it will probably carry on as such,the thing that could make a big difference is if the suits shift all winter racing to Riccarton,I dont reckon they will completely but those east coast winter meetings keep the southerners going.

That will kill it, and that is their plan to enable them to get their hands on the assets.

A lot of the tracks are off limits anyway,I think in reality a lot of hot air will be blown around,probably fuck all changes more likely but in cases changes are needed,its been happening for a long time anyway,Tapanui,Westport,Rangiora,Nelson,Orari,Winton,Wyndham and recently Waikouiti,Hokitika and Banks Peninsula and Waterlea and Omakau ,one or two of those may have a case for resuming there is only so far you can reduce,will Timaru,Oamaru,Gore,etc etc go,I'm not so sure.

Forgot to mention Waimate who should at least get their trotting day back.

Edited by mikeynz

4 hours ago, Tesio said:

Good luck to them if they can cope with 14,000. Auckland was barely coping with all their facilities,  lines at women's tiolets 35 to 40 long, same for a drink.    God help them if too many more had turned up. Had one bloke say to us he was busting told him to find a tree, but  had to yell out that we hadn't meant the one right in front with women walking past.   It was crazy  with lines to put bets on, glad I put mine on before we left.

The other thing, if it is 100 % industy  subsidised where have the multi mutil millions from their  land sales been put ?  Notice all the land worth mega millions by hill now housing.   Not being funny, I  honestly don't know what they have done with it.  

Again no fan of theirs, being member of another Auckland club . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Good luck to them if they can cope with 14,000. Auckland was barely coping with all their facilities,  lines at women's tiolets 35 to 40 long, same for a drink.    God help them if too many more had turned up. Had one bloke say to us he was busting told him to find a tree, but  had to yell out that we hadn't meant the one right in front with women walking past.   It was crazy  with lines to put bets on, glad I put mine on before we left.

The other thing, if it is 100 % industy  subsidised where have the multi mutil millions from their  land sales been put ?  Notice all the land worth mega millions by hill now housing.   Not being funny, I  honestly don't know what they have done with it.  

But being stuck in congestion is how Aucklanders live their lives,stuck in a que wainting for a piss,bet or even driving to and from work,makes one wonder why we ain't all living there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

A couple dollars may have gone into their managed fund.....which is approx $50mil.

8 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Just going back to the first post,Westport doing 220000 on course be fair to say a lot of the public probably are once a year race goers so no account with TAB likely so just bet on course,many bet on website so in many cases hard to get a accurate gauge on things sometime.

Still impressive figures whether thats the case or not & a lot at Ellerslie on B Day would have been also.