Bit Of A Yarn

Boxing Day - Ellerslie v Westport Trots

Reefton

Just now, mikeynz said:

Wingatui on boxing day got a crowd around 1000 people,Waikouit use to get 3 or 4 thousand,will those 3 or 4 thousand turn up at Wingatui in a fortnight?

Doubtful and this is where the logic of the likes of BS is so misplaced. I'm all for moving dates and venues if its going to improve the exposure, participation & ultimately returns to the industry , however this does not appear to be the case in any of these changes. 

4 minutes ago, Huey said:

Doubtful and this is where the logic of the likes of BS is so misplaced. I'm all for moving dates and venues if its going to improve the exposure, participation & ultimately returns to the industry , however this does not appear to be the case in any of these changes. 

I know they wont,I watched the doco trackside did on Chris Johnson,showed him coming back to scale on some horse he was riding at Wingatui in the nineties,lots leaning on the fence,same meeting last year,no one

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Huey said:

Strange as it is the Waikouiti Rodeo that was scheduled today to replace the races was washed out,Riverton was the place to be.😐

5 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Strange as it is the Waikouiti Rodeo that was scheduled today to replace the races was washed out,Riverton was the place to be.😐

Riverton had a heavy track I bet it wasn't a winter heavy track,anybody here on this site go there?

22 hours ago, Huey said:

Been reading the story on Riverton in one of the papers,about 2000 turned up,now that's not probably as many as Waikouiti but similar but the fields were far superior,would have been washed out yesty by the way,but the fixture in 2 weeks should be a good one,sad though in some ways it's not at Waikouiti.

• Like 1

On 1/01/2021 at 1:35 AM, Reefton said:

Kumara (I will remind everyone a town of 300 - yes that is 300 not 1.3 million) will get  a crowd nearly as big as Ellerslie did on Boxing Day next Saturday.

But if Kumara had to race as many times as Ellerslie how would the crowds hold up let alone the course?

1 hour ago, Reefton said:

In an entire season Ellerslie would not get a quarter of the crowd (based on comparative populations) Kumara does

Serious question Reefer...

Have you seen the movie Deliverence?

Short synopsis ....nothing to do in the valley...locked up at night with your family....

..your sister's across the other side of the room with a flickering candle light between you and her...you've just finished off the last of the poiteen made from the stolen Murphy's Kumera's....

2 choices...Do you duel banjos the night away or do you hit the sack and prep for the big race day tomorrow?

6 hours ago, Thomass said:

Serious question Reefer...

Have you seen the movie Deliverence?

Short synopsis ....nothing to do in the valley...locked up at night with your family....

..your sister's across the other side of the room with a flickering candle light between you and her...you've just finished off the last of the poiteen made from the stolen Murphy's Kumera's....

2 choices...Do you duel banjos the night away or do you hit the sack and prep for the big race day tomorrow?

Why would I prep for a big raceday 'tomorrow'?  My big raceday was yesterday.

Get with the programme

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Reefton said:

Why would I prep for a big raceday 'tomorrow'?  My big raceday was yesterday.

Get with the programme

Ok hit the sack with your sis it is then....nothing wrong with that in Reefers

Seriously serious though Reefer

Do you know the Vet there...Shorten

Is he just a wooly sheep Vet and has he ever been able to catch up with a Wild West Coast Brumbie to observe a munted horses head after a one sided fight with a steel gate?

Or is it normal to have horses running through the woods with lacerations to the noggin after belting fledgling native totara forests?

2 hours ago, Thomass said:

Ok hit the sack with your sis it is then....nothing wrong with that in Reefers

Seriously serious though Reefer

Do you know the Vet there...Shorten

Is he just a wooly sheep Vet and has he ever been able to catch up with a Wild West Coast Brumbie to observe a munted horses head after a one sided fight with a steel gate?

Or is it normal to have horses running through the woods with lacerations to the noggin after belting fledgling native totara forests?

As I said on the other thread you idiot I own 10% of that nag so I have more reason that most to be unhappy BUT - Julian Shorten is a qualified vet of many years experience and insofar as I know the horse came to no real harm.  Pitty told me last night he will run at Kumara so long as he comes through Ok.  

As far as your apparent fascination and fantasizing about Deliverance I will leave that to you but I suppose you can't spend all your life dreaming of what you would like to do to Emily Bosson or some other unfortunate young girl

On 7/01/2021 at 10:40 PM, Reefton said:

In an entire season Ellerslie would not get a quarter of the crowd (based on comparative populations) Kumara does

Just heard George Simon say " not the biggest crowd on course today " , well , well , well , 8 races ,2 x 10k mdns , 13 runners a piece , the other 6 races , 1 a listed race had a combined stake value of 192.500k , ave 32k .

49 runners between those 6 races , ave 8 per races , 3 of them actually only had 7 runners .

Wonder what the cost / profit to the industry this day was ?

As these fields were on average 8 per race the full stake payout would be less than the 192.5 k , so money saved .

Is this the type of day the industry can no longer afford to sustain ? Is it adding value to the industry , not just a monetary value ? The listed race was yet again merely a 3yo 65 , just giving away black type IMO .

Or because this is the ARC does the industry just has to suck it up ?

I only raise these questions as these are the type of discussions and questions that as an industry we should be having . It seems to me that yet again we just follow the calendar we have been using because it is the calendar we have been using . I personally think it is time for a complete overhaul of our calendar .

This is not a shit stirring post , these are serious questions , i believe we need all levels of racing but they need to work in the best interests of the whole industry , but IMO we need to be smarter in the way we spend our limited financial resources .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nomates said:

It seems to me that yet again we just follow the calendar we have been using because it is the calendar we have been using . I personally think it is time for a complete overhaul of our calendar .

Couldn’t agree with you more Nomates.....burn the old calendar and start again. Imagine the shit fight between clubs across the country over new days/dates, but its these tougher decisions that need sorted ASAP. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, nomates said:

1 a listed race had a combined stake value of 192.500k , ave 32k

Funny you should post that at the same time as I was looking at the pool totals for the last race.  About $110,000 in the W/P and Exotic pools.  I imagine that went up a bit when the TAB did their dump.  Unless the Fixed Odds book was HUGE then I can't see how they earnt enough revenue to pay for the $32,500 stakes on offer.  More than happy to be corrected on that.

20 minutes ago, Tesio said:

Couldn’t agree with you more Nomates.....burn the old calendar and start again. Imagine the shit fight between clubs across the country over new days/dates, but its these tougher decisions that need sorted ASAP. 

If it is done in full consultation with all parts of the industry and everybody understands that the result will be what is in the best interests of all the industry and within budget constraints , then it shouldn't be an issue , but as we all know self interest will certainly raise it's ugly head.

Look at the Wellington cup carnival , what a shit fest that has become , all to accommodate a sales race . I'm not against the millions , been to them as a punter and a strapper , fantastic meeting in all facets , but should one of our iconic meetings be carved up the way it has . Can't believe the WRC has allowed this to happen . Is this really in the best interests of the whole industry ?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nomates said:

Just heard George Simon say " not the biggest crowd on course today " , well , well , well , 8 races ,2 x 10k mdns , 13 runners a piece , the other 6 races , 1 a listed race had a combined stake value of 192.500k , ave 32k .

49 runners between those 6 races , ave 8 per races , 3 of them actually only had 7 runners .

Wonder what the cost / profit to the industry this day was ?

As these fields were on average 8 per race the full stake payout would be less than the 192.5 k , so money saved .

Is this the type of day the industry can no longer afford to sustain ? Is it adding value to the industry , not just a monetary value ? The listed race was yet again merely a 3yo 65 , just giving away black type IMO .

Or because this is the ARC does the industry just has to suck it up ?

I only raise these questions as these are the type of discussions and questions that as an industry we should be having . It seems to me that yet again we just follow the calendar we have been using because it is the calendar we have been using . I personally think it is time for a complete overhaul of our calendar .

This is not a shit stirring post , these are serious questions , i believe we need all levels of racing but they need to work in the best interests of the whole industry , but IMO we need to be smarter in the way we spend our limited financial resources .

Agree wholeheartedly, not only is it time to redo the calendar its time to alter the process around race date allocations. Make it performance based , put some metrics in place. Find out where people want to race their horses, where they want to support .Put an end to the shenanigans that have been going on for years with the calendar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Huey said:

Agree wholeheartedly, not only is it time to redo the calendar its time to alter the process around race date allocations. Make it performance based , put some metrics in place. Find out where people want to race their horses, where they want to support .Put an end to the shenanigans that have been going on for years with the calendar.

I've long advocated that a reasonable proportion of Industry Days (if not all of them) should be contestable i.e. Clubs bid for them in terms of Stake money they are willing to fund above a declared minimum.  Although I would do away with the Tiered Stakes concept.  It is irrelevant and unaffordable.

Group and Listed race stakes should be reduced and a revamp of the pattern undertaken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

They will only get the answers to all those questions by asking all facets of the industry , this is where it will fall short IMO . The so called power brokers of the game will feel that they can speak for everybody . A serious change in mentality is required , let's hope it happens .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

They will only get the answers to all those questions by asking all facets of the industry , this is where it will fall short IMO . The so called power brokers of the game will feel that they can speak for everybody . A serious change in mentality is required , let's hope it happens .

They ask (lip service) but they do not listen. 

I don't mind if they have something to back up their below average listening skills, but they do not.

• Like 3

I see the turnover over at kumara oncourse was 230k plus some, looked like they were jammed in like sardines, the Westport trots about 10k behind and heaps of space and room for all, and many extra, certainly the kumara facilities are rather cramped to say the least.

1 hour ago, Shad said:

I see the turnover over at kumara oncourse was 230k plus some, looked like they were jammed in like sardines, the Westport trots about 10k behind and heaps of space and room for all, and many extra, certainly the kumara facilities are rather cramped to say the least.

Maybe they should build a big stadium like Eden Park or something😁

1 hour ago, Shad said:

Don't know about that.  There would be a lot more actual people at Kumara (just a lot of them are there for a piss up not the races so are not betting).  They are spread from the bend into the straight to the start of the back straight - the only equivalent I see in NZ is Kurow.

I didn't think it was cramped but it was wet underfoot in the public areas and a bit rough in parts of that area.  Still hard to beat in terms of an event in NZ racing though when they had that Mobil tent and a selection of 'fat cats'(for want of a better word) in attendance at that they used to get nearly $400,000 oncourse turnover.  Buggered if I know how they dealt with them all though - Saturday as bad enough for queues at the tote windows.  Invariably you would be in the queue with the dollar each way punters wanting to back scratchings and check 200 dud tickets while you wait behind them.

My new irish mates thought it was great craic!  Mind you their horse won and that helps

Edited by Reefton
  • Champ Post 1

True, the kumara meeting is just a big social occasion for most, but at the end of the day no matter how we look at it, it's a great advertisement for coast racing, track seemed to suit all, and everyone won got around in one piece, be interesting to see if hokitika get a racing date next year, any one think they were to hasty in handing their track to local council, or was it just a matter of time before it was seized by the national body.

• Like 1