Bit Of A Yarn

Anne Herbert runners

Guest CrossCodes

Guest CrossCodes

The Herbert stable used to be able to train a decent horse once upon a time, seems those days are long gone.

Maybe her husband was the one who could actually train, as she has done very little since training in her own name, some of her horses today couldn’t even keep up.

A shame as the Herbert colours had some great horses back in the day, now they struggle to cross the line first at all.

1 hour ago, CrossCodes said:

The Herbert stable used to be able to train a decent horse once upon a time, seems those days are long gone.

Maybe her husband was the one who could actually train, as she has done very little since training in her own name, some of her horses today couldn’t even keep up.

A shame as the Herbert colours had some great horses back in the day, now they struggle to cross the line first at all.

HAve you thought about giving her a call and telling her where she is going wrong?

Better still why don't you go to the sales and buy her a few Savabeels for her to train? 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, mumbles said:

Have a look at the premiership table.There are plenty who aren't firing.

18 in work with only 14 starts would suggest she may have a lot of young and untried horses and also that she maybe getting them redy for overseas.

Exactly, she might also have a number of slow ones, that can happen and can be significantly magnified when youre in a small stable . 

What a lovely balance you folks have brought to the thread with your responses to the original post 🙏

Crossy - A bit harsh maybe? - either that or you are mates with Wayne and just taking the opportunity to have a crack at Anne .......

16 minutes ago, jess said:

What a lovely balance you folks have brought to the thread with your responses to the original post 🙏

Crossy - A bit harsh maybe? - either that or you are mates with Wayne and just taking the opportunity to have a crack at Anne .......

I think he is just a negative person full stop,never ever has a good thing to say about anyone.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, theshu said:

I think he is just a negative person full stop,never ever has a good thing to say about anyone.

Hi galloping people,

Yes that is my observation too. I am awaiting his reply to a negative subject he started yesterday on a trainer on harness chat called Sean M. 

He has a long list of drivers and trainers that needs improving like this.List GIF by memecandy

Was in 2 minds whether to bother offering a contrary view but I will anyway.

I imagine Anne more than most would wish she was having more success currently.  And remember - she would not be alone there!! The others on the thread have all made relevant points.  I doubt you could accurately say the former success was all due to Wayne - I am sure he brought his own particular talents to the training partnership but a lot more has changed than simply Anne now training solo: different location; different horses; different owners; different staff; different times. 

My other observation would be in the heady days I recall (Camacho, Elegant Emerald, Tit for Taat (5 Grp ones if I remember rightly) et al ) - Anne rode work too.  And you'd go a way to find a better track rider in judging a horse by the way it feels under saddle.  A very capable horsewoman I'd have thought & most would acknowledge, bloody hard working with it - I imagine her horses would be very well cared for (they certainly always look it).

Those of us who are owners & have to choose a trainer exercise free will & that's where we can really express our "opinions" I guess.  

Someone raised Lisa L's patchy recent form - I'm sure she acknowledges this & isn't happy - but it sure doesn't have me consigning her to the scrap-heap or saying she's nil because that is most certainly wrong.

As the saying goes - form is temporary - class is permanent.

J.

• Like 3

On 14/01/2021 at 7:27 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Lisa Latta seems to be struggling as well.

Not sure I'd agree with that assertion, this season she has had the same number of wins as all of last season to date. Certainly hasn't picked up a big race yet , but the winners are coming. Last season certainly appeared to be the case, but that seems to be turning around now.

As an aside people have to reaslise with a lot of trainers also , a lot of things have changed in the industry and not for the better, its becoming more and more a game for bigger stables and not what it was for  the smaller players in it. 

• Like 3

You're right Huey.  LL stable did go through a real soft patch - someone told me 100 starters without a winner but I have not researched that to check the accuracy.    Anyway - I think the ship's been righted & having success again now - just as I'd expect of her.  Again - I'd say some significant & various changes in that stable too - might have been some adjustments & accommodations to settle back into the rhythm.   Also - for a long time she's had big numbers (& a diverse lot of horses of various abilities)  - strike rate is not typically the stat she stars by - but nonetheless - she's won most races worth winning in NZ & I would never underestimate her ability. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jess said:

Was in 2 minds whether to bother offering a contrary view but I will anyway.

I imagine Anne more than most would wish she was having more success currently.  And remember - she would not be alone there!! The others on the thread have all made relevant points.  I doubt you could accurately say the former success was all due to Wayne - I am sure he brought his own particular talents to the training partnership but a lot more has changed than simply Anne now training solo: different location; different horses; different owners; different staff; different times. 

My other observation would be in the heady days I recall (Camacho, Elegant Emerald, Tit for Taat (5 Grp ones if I remember rightly) et al ) - Anne rode work too.  And you'd go a way to find a better track rider in judging a horse by the way it feels under saddle.  A very capable horsewoman I'd have thought & most would acknowledge, bloody hard working with it - I imagine her horses would be very well cared for (they certainly always look it).

Those of us who are owners & have to choose a trainer exercise free will & that's where we can really express our "opinions" I guess.  

Someone raised Lisa L's patchy recent form - I'm sure she acknowledges this & isn't happy - but it sure doesn't have me consigning her to the scrap-heap or saying she's nil because that is most certainly wrong.

As the saying goes - form is temporary - class is permanent.

J.

Another saying Jess and very relevant, you don't forget how to train a horse.........I've had a few trainers have long spells without a winner, people like Greg Bennett, champion NSW country trainer and the breaker of Makybe Diva and Grahame Begg who left Randwick after donkeys years to set up in MEL.......plus a great Kiwi trainer who had a couple for the Mrs and I.....they came good, rode out the spell and kicked on........unfortunately some trainers, and jocks too can't ride it out and walk away, sad as that is.......worth staying in the game over here as the prizemoney is so good, plus the expenses are minuscule compared to NZ......walking away in NZ is sometimes the only option or the poorhouse beckons unless of course you are salaried and work at Petone.

• Like 2

On 16/01/2021 at 6:32 PM, Karrots said:

Oh Iv had to come over, just temp from Harness side. Its very quiet over there today, makes a change. But I tell you people, Iv asked him the hard questions. Cross Codes. 

Karrots waits

Oh yes Karrots waits 😉

Lets see what his answer is Waiting Patiently GIF by General Hospital

????

On 16/01/2021 at 1:25 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

Another saying Jess and very relevant, you don't forget how to train a horse.........I've had a few trainers have long spells without a winner, people like Greg Bennett, champion NSW country trainer and the breaker of Makybe Diva and Grahame Begg who left Randwick after donkeys years to set up in MEL.......plus a great Kiwi trainer who had a couple for the Mrs and I.....they came good, rode out the spell and kicked on........unfortunately some trainers, and jocks too can't ride it out and walk away, sad as that is.......worth staying in the game over here as the prizemoney is so good, plus the expenses are minuscule compared to NZ......walking away in NZ is sometimes the only option or the poorhouse beckons unless of course you are salaried and work at Petone.

yes, I recall Jim Lalor saying to a fellow trainer, many years ago,  who was having a very lean patch...don't start doubting yourself or changing what you do, because you do it well.  Just keep your head and the results will come again.  And they did.

I realise most on here will not have heard of Jim Lalor, but he trained a  multitude of winners  from his Ashburton base, around the south, long before strike rates and winners' statistics became so important.   David Walsh started out with Jim.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Freda said:

yes, I recall Jim Lalor saying to a fellow trainer, many years ago,  who was having a very lean patch...don't start doubting yourself or changing what you do, because you do it well.  Just keep your head and the results will come again.  And they did.

I realise most on here will not have heard of Jim Lalor, but he trained a  multitude of winners  from his Ashburton base, around the south, long before strike rates and winners' statistics became so important.   David Walsh started out with Jim.

Most around here well know of Jim Lalor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shad said:

And old shad even gave it a mention, all you people must have got on, was quite discussed with the dividend, 2 minutes before the race was paying 12s, nice win, she wouldn't have been a cheap purchase. 

Knocked down to Phil Cataldo for $90K

2019 National Yearling Sales Series Lot 746