Bit Of A Yarn

What A Laugh

All The Aces

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I'm thinking not , haven't seen anything on trackside . I suppose when they can the radio they wont spend money on sales coverage . But that's all good , the industry can afford 500k subsidizing the f#*cking millions races tho . 

I does my F^*king head in , where is the logic . I'm not asking for Einstein logic , just basic common sense logic . But it seems to be a sparse commodity when it comes to managing NZ racing .

If ever there an excuse for not subsidising it, it was this year, FFS, taking K500 off the core industry to prop up Vella and his sycophants is sickening, although the cartel are all for it of course......#otherpeoplesmoney.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

If ever there an excuse for not subsidising it, it was this year, FFS, taking K500 off the core industry to prop up Vella and his sycophants is sickening, although the cartel are all for it of course......#otherpeoplesmoney.

Well when punters can't hear their money run and they have reduced the winners purses , they are clearly short of funds , so we shouldn't be propping up a pair of restricted races . 

If the rich guys of the industry can't afford to subsidize it then the small guys certainly shouldn't . If they can't get the purses up to the million with registrations etc then perhaps it's time to up those costs .

Small clubs are sucking the industry dry supposedly , but guess what it turns out it's the rich . This 500k is pocket money for Vella  , but no he's going cap in hand to the small players in the industry .

• Like 2

Aside from the $500k "subsidy" (isn't it twice that?) what would you change?

I believe the Breeder's, Stud's and Owners should fund the sweepstake races not the industry. So I would change that.

I believe Te Akau has in the past subsidised the broadcasting on free to air.  Just as they do Weigh In.

Now that TAB NZ has abdicated any responsibility for marketing and we are now reliant on NZTR to do it then the so called "cartel" is all that is left.

• Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, nomates said:

Well when punters can't hear their money run and they have reduced the winners purses , they are clearly short of funds , so we shouldn't be propping up a pair of restricted races . 

If the rich guys of the industry can't afford to subsidize it then the small guys certainly shouldn't . If they can't get the purses up to the million with registrations etc then perhaps it's time to up those costs .

Small clubs are sucking the industry dry supposedly , but guess what it turns out it's the rich . This 500k is pocket money for Vella  , but no he's going cap in hand to the small players in the industry .

I think you should be pointing your finger at NZTR as it is they who are responsible.

20 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I think you should be pointing your finger at NZTR as it is they who are responsible.

I am fundamentally pointing the finger at NZTR , they just had to say sorry it's a closed race and we can't fund it , aside from the fact they can't afford it at present .

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Aside from the $500k "subsidy" (isn't it twice that?) what would you change?

I only want NZTR to stop funding it , for the reasons stated . As long as the wider industry isn't funding it i actually don't care how else it's funded , it's a sales race so it's their issue to find funding for the races .

But as you suggest the breeding industry needs to step up if they want to see these races funded at this level .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huey said:
29 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I understand the 'contract'  if that is the correct term, to fund the KM day was negotiated under the Purcell regime. 

I was also told that Saundry was not happy with the setup.

However,  for an unhappy man, he hasn't done much about changing things.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, curious said:

Total waste of industry funds. If they wanted to make the race open to all comers with NZB funding a bonus for sales graduates then fine. That would also allow it to achieve the Group status it would otherwise deserve. Simple really.

Absolutely and absolute common sense. Oh and good sound business acumen. Petone is bereft of both sadly.

5 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Absolutely and absolute common sense. Oh and good sound business acumen. Petone is bereft of both sadly.

They mainly just don't give  a toss about the average guy in the game, that in the end will be the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

Isn't the most annoying thing about this race, that all the hype and PR is put into a restricted race for 2yos at the expense of time honoured races like the Derby, Oaks,Telegraph etc this is where the industry goes wrong can't we see that from the mistakes of the past? This is an absolute nothing of a race barring the prizemoney thats put up? 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

All that aside some very good horses have won it in the past with half of them kicking on at the next levels 

Have a look at all the results from the 2yo million and some of the promising horses that never kicked on because they were hammered to get there . The interesting thing is that it is the fillies that are the ones that have gone on in the main , the colts might not handle the pressure cooker as well it seems .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nomates said:

Have a look at all the results from the 2yo million and some of the promising horses that never kicked on because they were hammered to get there . The interesting thing is that it is the fillies that are the ones that have gone on in the main , the colts might not handle the pressure cooker as well it seems .

Exactly, interesting that one of  the best performed in the race is a  SI stakewinner and the other the Pukekohe winner.

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Even the breeders that support it would benefit from that model because it would be legit black type on catalogue pages rather than a restricted race that most won't give much credence to.

• Like 1

Hardline for one, massive problems after that race and never reached his potential.

• Like 1

How many early colts now days go on or are allowed to go on?

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

All that aside some very good horses have won it in the past with half of them kicking on at the next levels 

Interesting only 3 fillies have really come out of the race, Probabeel, MB & Avantage , can't think of much else thats really next level , meaning Aus. 

Avantage yet to really get to the level of the other two over there as well.

2 of the 3 Aus breeds as well.