Bit Of A Yarn

What A Laugh

All The Aces

35 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

How do you know Opie is on a retainer?

If he is - how much does his Agent retain?

From several sources that he is on a retainer. From memory even David Ellis himself has confirmed somewhere along the line.

Wouldn't have a clue if Aiden Rodley as his agent anything or not. Could depend on who negotiated it?  

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Still doesn't answer the question - how do you know Opie is on a retainer?

Not that having Jockey's on retainers is unheard of particularly in Australia.

Racing supposedly is a professional sport that allows amateur's to compete.

I'm pretty sure Valachi had Sam Collett on a retainer...makes perfect sense to be able to call on the rider of choice when you wish.

14 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Still doesn't answer the question - how do you know Opie is on a retainer?

Not that having Jockey's on retainers is unheard of particularly in Australia.

Racing supposedly is a professional sport that allows amateur's to compete.

Why are you continuously contrary?

Everyone knows some Jockeys are retained here...i.e. paid a retainer

Innes and Grylls are others 'retained' who are required to turn down other rides in favour of their 'retainer'

Leading jockey Opie Bosson has been retained as the number one rider for Te Akau Racing in the 20/21 racing season. 

33 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Why are you continuously contrary?

Everyone knows some Jockeys are retained here...i.e. paid a retainer

Innes and Grylls are others 'retained' who are required to turn down other rides in favour of their 'retainer'

Leading jockey Opie Bosson has been retained as the number one rider for Te Akau Racing in the 20/21 racing season. 

The fact that there are or aren't retainers paid means SFA.  It means nothing.  It is common practice overseas why would it be any different here?

That's not being "contrary" it's just pointing out that that in the overall scheme of things it is irrelevant.

Also it is a private business contract between two contracting parties.  Very few of us know how much the retainer is or the terms of the contract.  Doesn't stop everyone speculating though.  

I would have thought that given Te Akau's success and their general dominance of the big races that Opie would be paying Te Akau a retainer!

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Freda said:

I'm pretty sure Valachi had Sam Collett on a retainer...makes perfect sense to be able to call on the rider of choice when you wish.

Agreed.  I don't see any big deal with it.  If you can afford it why not?  If I had a team of horses and/or a breeding establishment I would gladly have Sam Collett and Danielle Johnson on retainer.  Not only are they more than useful Jockey's but are articulate and marketable so I'd make sure that the retainer just didn't involve riding my horses but also assisting with the marketing of my business.

9 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The fact that there are or aren't retainers paid means SFA.  It means nothing.  It is common practice overseas why would it be any different here?

That's not being "contrary" it's just pointing out that that in the overall scheme of things it is irrelevant.

Also it is a private business contract between two contracting parties.  Very few of us know how much the retainer is or the terms of the contract.  Doesn't stop everyone speculating though.  

I would have thought that given Te Akau's success and their general dominance of the big races that Opie would be paying Te Akau a retainer!

Maaaaate, I'd go back to bed if I was you...

You asked "how do you know Opee's on a retainer"

We all f in know, apart from you, ok?

ffs

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Maaaaate, I'd go back to bed if I was you...

You asked "how do you know Opee's on a retainer"

We all f in know, apart from you, ok?

ffs

I didn't say Opie wasn't on a retainer I just asked "so what"?

I also asked how do you know?  What sort of retainer is it?  Is it more like an employment contract? 

"Opie we expect you to ride at least 30 of our horses in track work each week and we'll give you first choice of raceday mounts.  If you are suspended we expect you to ride 50 horse each work.  BTW you pay for all your own fines and legal costs."

What does it matter?

6 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Seriously, don't put yourself in a position that allows moi to spank you....or we'll think you like it

EVERYONE can read the above question you asked

"how do you know Opie is on a retainer"

I even changed his name, just for you

Let it go

So what?  All you did was quote a statement without a source that says Opie has been retained as the No 1 rider for Te Akau.  You don't know that a RETAINER is being paid!  Hell there would be any number of Jockey's that would PAY Te Akau to be their No 1 rider.

Being retained doesn't confirm that Opie is being paid a retainer!  

So Thomass get the Princess to spank YOU!

14 minutes ago, Huey said:

Craig G isn't it?

Think Collet had the gig before Grylls , but Valachi and Grylls finished a couple of months back . Neither jockey really set the world on fire for Valachi .

Had a chat to a name CD trainer yesterday and they were saying it is a nightmare getting decent jocks on their horses , Allpress is committed to Benner or Auret , Parkes' agent is a pain to deal with , but even to get one of the rest they have to book 3 weeks out , but they are at their wits end with the rides .

They reckon 1 more year and if things haven't improved they will finish up .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Huey said:

You'd think if ever there was a year they were going to do it, this one makes sense. So probably not.

I'm thinking not , haven't seen anything on trackside . I suppose when they can the radio they wont spend money on sales coverage . But that's all good , the industry can afford 500k subsidizing the f#*cking millions races tho . 

I does my F^*king head in , where is the logic . I'm not asking for Einstein logic , just basic common sense logic . But it seems to be a sparse commodity when it comes to managing NZ racing .

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nomates said:

I'm thinking not , haven't seen anything on trackside . I suppose when they can the radio they wont spend money on sales coverage . But that's all good , the industry can afford 500k subsidizing the f#*cking millions races tho . 

I does my F^*king head in , where is the logic . I'm not asking for Einstein logic , just basic common sense logic . But it seems to be a sparse commodity when it comes to managing NZ racing .

Yep 7 or 8 more industry meetings, which btw the industry needs , instead of subsidising the sales.

• Like 1