Bit Of A Yarn

BGP Have Big Quin!!!

14 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Have you contacted them....yet?

One can only rant for soooo long before it becomes needless and tiresome...

RESULTS are what counts...and WE THE PEOPLE need answers...ok?

Pot-Kettle Thomarse.  You are still ranting about events that happened three or more years ago!  I'm sure TAB NZ are aware of what is being posted on social media.  We await a proactive response from them.

4 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Rubbish...they don't give a rats ass about it...

So what's the point of writing to them individually?

5 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Personal contact's where its at...pontificating ain't

Besides Robertson is a newbie Minister straight out of the Yes Minister handbook..

I don't move in the same circles as Grant Robertson for a number of reasons.  Perhaps the next time you are sharing a cocktail with him you could mention it in passing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what's the point of writing to them individually?

I don't move in the same circles as Grant Robertson for a number of reasons.  Perhaps the next time you are sharing a cocktail with him you could mention it in passing?

Just write him ffs...

Labour Ministers are for the Common man...and you're definitely that...

He'd be disgusted elite members of society are being granted 'special needs status'....

...alternatively Knat Ministers don't give a flying f about commoners because they're Elite and Special...

Stop the ranting pontifications and do something useful ffs

BOOKMAKER Robbie Waterhouse has been accused of using illegal inducements and incentives — such as offering free betting money and improved market odds — to lure punters to his online gambling website.

The Australian has revealed that the racing identity, who is married to leading trainer Gai, will front court next month after becoming the latest target in Liquor & Gaming NSW’s crackdown on illicit internet betting promotions.

The 66-year-old has been charged with five counts of unlawfully publishing gaming advert­isements relating to his eponymous betting website, ­RobWaterhouse.com, and faces a $55,000 fine if convicted.

The alleged offences relate to a promotional banner featured on his website last June, along with three emails he allegedly sent between last June and last August and a tweet posted by an account allegedly run by Waterhouse.

The tweet, which appeared on June 13, attracted the attention of authorities after promising betting “boosts” to gamblers on his website. “Forms done for today, markets are open! It looks a great day of racing. I’m giving punters 5 boosts a day join me now at http://RobWaterhouse.com,” it said.

Under the Betting and Racing Act 1998, it is an offence for sport bookmakers to publish or communicate any inducement to participate in any gambling activity unless the advertising is directly targeted to a person who holds an account with that bookmaker.

According to the act, inducement is defined as “the offer of a credit, voucher, reward or other benefit that includes additional benefits or enhancements”.

It will be alleged Waterhouse followed up the tweet days later with a promotional banner on his website on June 18 that promised: “Up to 5 price boots per day.”

The Sydney bookmaker has also been accused of sending emails to clients offering “FREE $20 cash”, “Bet Boosts” and a promotional email notifying the receiver that he had launched his betting website, promising “great pricing” and “lots of bonuses”.

“Hi Jai, I hope you took advantage of the FREE $20 cash I deposited straight into your Robwaterhouse.com account this week. If you are betting with me this weekend, remember I offer 5 Bet Boosts per day. Best, Rob,” Waterhouse allegedly said in one email to a customer.

Since Waterhouse is trading as a sole trader, he is being prosecuted as an individual, with each ­offence carrying a maximum penalty of $11,000.

In 2018 and 2019, state and territory governments implemented minimum protections for online gamblers called the National Protection Framework, which must be adhered to by all online wagering providers. Individual states and territories have separate legislation, with NSW having some of the strongest in the country.

The legal action against Waterhouse comes after multinational online betting sites Ladbrokes and Neds were convicted at the Downing Centre Local Court last February for promoting inducements to gamble. The firms were ordered to pay a total of $207,500 in fines — the largest gambling fine to be handed down in NSW.

Waterhouse, who was charged with the alleged offences last month, is scheduled to appear in court for mention on February 17. His wife, Gai Waterhouse, was ­appointed as an Officer of the Order of Australia on Australia Day for her distinguished services to the racing industry.

It is not the first time the ­Waterhouse family, one of the highest profile in racing, has come under fire for activities relating to its gambling empire.

William Hill, at the time headed by Waterhouse’s son Tom, was referred to federal police by the Australian Communications and Media Authority over a betting loophole that allowed punters to bet live on sports on their phones.

The AFP rejected that referral in October 2015.

That's an interesting one under NZ law too.

ProhibitedAdvertising overseas gambling is prohibited under section 16 of the Gambling Act 2003. An overseas gambling advertisement is any communication that publicises or promotes gambling, or a gambling operator, when that gambling, or operator, is outside New Zealand

Does the TAB breach this when promoting gambling on overseas events?

4 minutes ago, curious said:

ProhibitedAdvertising overseas gambling is prohibited under section 16 of the Gambling Act 2003. An overseas gambling advertisement is any communication that publicises or promotes gambling, or a gambling operator, when that gambling, or operator, is outside New Zealand

Short answer, no.

3 minutes ago, curious said:

I've been ruminating on the whole area of betting, gaming and wagering legislation in New Zealand for awhile - more so when I saw the BGP exclusive monopoly deal.

It is clear that the average consumer's rights are not protected and that there is ambiguity in the law in terms of reducing harm.  The law in Australia seems "more mature" than ours.  For example they have minimum bet rules on a State basis.

It all boils down to the backward step in going with the new platform.

Previously the tote pools and odds were update every few seconds just prior to the race.. Seems the new system is incapable or else the managers are too scared to overload the system with too many updates.

Today the TAB made an announcement all fixed odd win bets on Captain Tom would return bonus bets. Now thats a pretty vague statement. Is the original stake returned or the full winning amount. Next the TAB backtracks and now classifies a multi bet as not a fixed odds bet which is stupid. Also TAB in store bettors are not eligible. When queried the phoneup help person excuses the contradiction as thats what the "system" allows.