Bit Of A Yarn

BGP Have Big Quin!!!

Does 'Boys get Paid' remind anyone else of Steel Balls?  A TAB vehicle to tell everyone about a fearless punter(s) who makes huge bets and never loses?

I have been in racing a long time and other than the owners of Black Caviar and Frankel everybody else loses a s...load.

Just saying

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reefton said:

Does 'Boys get Paid' remind anyone else of Steel Balls?  A TAB vehicle to tell everyone about a fearless punter(s) who makes huge bets and never loses?

I have been in racing a long time and other than the owners of Black Caviar and Frankel everybody else loses a s...load.

Just saying

And in reality this is what's a bit silly about the TAB placing restrictions,99%of the time they win anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

On the BGP Facebook page.  I don't think it is right that they have "exclusive rights to a Fixed Odds Quinella" when no one else does.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2021.01.22-10_23_54.png

In case you haven't realised they get whatever they want, they are treated better at the races than owners, some trainers etc etc etc

Cause they are the future of racing, you'll find them on local racing committees committing their time to improving the sport, working their butts off at working bees, spreading their love for the horse beyond one stable/trainer , spreading their love beyond one racing club and showing love for smaller clubs in the industry by supporting their days, they don't just do it to be in the limelight and don't only want to know about the big race days or the well bred horses or the large stud farms , no no they are here in the industry for everyone.

They voice their opinions and demand to have a say for a reason, because they know they have been there and done that and told the guy at the local pub about it as well.- The future of NZ racing is one of glory and success with the BGP boys behind everyone in the industry! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yea , well i see they are getting into bed with Te Akau , getting DE to purchase a yearling for them , no doubt JR will be training it . No slumming it for these boys .

I dont need to wait for the phone call then? 🤪

Edited by Freda
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yea , well i see they are getting into bed with Te Akau , getting DE to purchase a yearling for them , no doubt JR will be training it . No slumming it for these boys .

So you need a 1000 people to buy a horse nowadays?

Geez between BGP and Te Akau management fees it will be an expensive proposition!

The old story clipping the ticket of 1000 people is easier than clipping the ticket of 10.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Geez between BGP and Te Akau management fees it will be an expensive proposition!

The old story clipping the ticket of 1000 people is easier than clipping the ticket of 10.

Gee I wonder what the horse will be by & who will sell it to them?? Hmmm

19 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Apparently it only a group of 350 members .

1 hour ago, nomates said:

No ,when your first go tat the sales is Savabeel weanling to me it is no wonder these guys have the perception they have of the industry.

3 minutes ago, Huey said:

No ,when your first go tat the sales is Savabeel weanling to me it is no wonder these guys have the perception they have of the industry.

Well if it fails there will be a reality check , the test will be if they go big again after a failure .

11 minutes ago, nomates said:

Well if it fails there will be a reality check , the test will be if they go big again after a failure .

They don't care because the skin in the game is down to a molecular level.  For them it's just another expensive cocktail.

May as well be a pokie machine.

In my opinion this approach will kill the industry.  It is demeaning the core part of the industry - the horse and those that develop it and care for it.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

3 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They don't care because the skin in the game is down to a molecular level.  For them it's just another expensive cocktail.

In my opinion this approach will kill the industry.  It is demeaning the core part of the industry - the horse and those that develop it and care for it.

I couldn't agree more.

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I agree, sort of.....but, in a healthy industry there should be room for all.   We need the heights to aspire to, the glamour to watch and get excited by...but not when the grass roots part of things is disintegrating by the day.    It has become so unbalanced now.

I look around at the trainers I work amidst ;   one or two still have patrons who breed to race,  or buy to race - Kevin Hickman very good about sharing some of his stock among different trainers - but most are scrabbling around, leasing tried horses or [ now ] buying from Gavelhouse, which has all but scuppered the leasing option.

So, most are dealing, in the main, with stock that is largely unwanted.   How can the balance ever be righted under those conditions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freda said:

I agree, sort of.....but, in a healthy industry there should be room for all.   We need the heights to aspire to, the glamour to watch and get excited by...but not when the grass roots part of things is disintegrating by the day.    It has become so unbalanced now.

I look around at the trainers I work amidst ;   one or two still have patrons who breed to race,  or buy to race - Kevin Hickman very good about sharing some of his stock among different trainers - but most are scrabbling around, leasing tried horses or [ now ] buying from Gavelhouse, which has all but scuppered the leasing option.

So, most are dealing, in the main, with stock that is largely unwanted.   How can the balance ever be righted under those conditions?

The real problem with the micro shares for mine is a commitment one, the owners who buy a share as part of a 100 persons syndicate don't have the same type of commitment to the animal as the owner who bought breed and raised the animal themselves or the 5 guys who bought one off Gavel for that matter and sent to a local trainer.

As CS says its just another expensive cocktail to them, so if if the base of the industry is erased (particularly given the scenario you have explained Freda) usually the place these horses end up at for another probably fairer go then if the base isn't there where does this stock end up? I have a fair answer to that.

You only have to listen to these people on their podcasts etc to understand they have absolutely no affection or bond (most haven't even touched them) with the horse unless they strike the jackpot and get a very good one.

So on one hand we have the industry espousing the virtues of horse welfare and on the other we have the reality which is in effect a factory type atmosphere, horse doesn't do whats promised on the jar move it on get another one. 

• Like 2

On 22/01/2021 at 4:43 PM, Freda said:

I dont need to wait for the phone call then? 🤪

You never know, keep your phone on the hook, I'm sure you could do as good with a few of those royalty bred steeds, mind you we don't hear to much of those expensive ones that don't make the grade

• Like 1
  • Haha 1