Bit Of A Yarn

BGP Have Big Quin!!!

2 hours ago, Mark D said:

As long as its fixed odds I don't mind - it's the rebates from the tote that have always got me.

But there was no other punter in that book.  That is it was the TAB vs BGP and no one else.  

That was industry funds they were playing with.  

Did they lay the risk off or minimise their potential loss somewhere else like on the tote?  So essentially every other punter subsidising BGP for a bet at odds that no one else had access to!

It's wrong however here's hoping BGP had their normal loss for the day although by all accounts the TAB bookies got hammered yesterday.  

• Like 1

Actually I'm starting to get an annoying bee under my bonnet about this.  All well and good to promote the hype and hoopla of the Karaka Millions Day but surely the offering of this bet exclusively to one customer contravenes Fair Trading regulations?

Note:  I actually enjoyed the racing yesterday and it looked like a fun night out.  We no longer have enough of those in Racing beyond Christchurch's Cup Week.

Ok I'm the Grinch after Christmas but this seems plain wrong to me when the legislated goal of the TAB NZ is to benefit ALL racing codes and sports. 

To put at risk potential revenue for the industry by favouring one select group just doesn't seem right.

There is some irony as well when you think about this together with their video advert encouraging NZ'ers to bet with them as it benefits NZ industry stakeholders.  Well why would you bet with them if you are not treated equally?

Further irony can be found when you consider that off-shore agencies offer Fixed Odds Quinella's.  So unless you are the BGP and you want this bet type you have to bet off-shore!

Apparently overall the BGP punters club had a loss for yesterday.  I stand to be corrected on that.  (I see that they clip the $100 ticket with a "ticketing fee" and credit card charge).  Did TAB NZ give them a rebate as well as exclusive access to the Quinella FO bet?

• Like 1

I actually thought the $2.60 was way too generous , could not see any other than a 1/2 finish for these two horses , the tote price of $1.70 was a more on the money . So i think the bookies were way too generous in the price they gave them .

On the evening itself i got the feeling from watching on TV that the crowd was not as large as previous years , some one could put me right on that . Also didn't seem quite the same atmosphere , still a very enjoyable race meeting tho .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Actually I'm starting to get an annoying bee under my bonnet about this.  All well and good to promote the hype and hoopla of the Karaka Millions Day but surely the offering of this bet exclusively to one customer contravenes Fair Trading regulations?

Note:  I actually enjoyed the racing yesterday and it looked like a fun night out.  We no longer have enough of those in Racing beyond Christchurch's Cup Week.

Ok I'm the Grinch after Christmas but this seems plain wrong to me when the legislated goal of the TAB NZ is to benefit ALL racing codes and sports. 

To put at risk potential revenue for the industry by favouring one select group just doesn't seem right.

There is some irony as well when you think about this together with their video advert encouraging NZ'ers to bet with them as it benefits NZ industry stakeholders.  Well why would you bet with them if you are not treated equally?

Further irony can be found when you consider that off-shore agencies offer Fixed Odds Quinella's.  So unless you are the BGP and you want this bet type you have to bet off-shore!

Apparently overall the BGP punters club had a loss for yesterday.  I stand to be corrected on that.  (I see that they clip the $100 ticket with a "ticketing fee" and credit card charge).  Did TAB NZ give them a rebate as well as exclusive access to the Quinella FO bet?

I read that the TAB are introducing fixed odds quinella bets for everyone starting in March I think from memory. 

TAB no different to any of the other entities that bend over backwards for this group.

The industry needs to be a bit more careful about managing groups like this , as an owner they appear to get very well treated no matter where they go.

One would expect its their way of advertising the new product available soon.

2 minutes ago, Huey said:

One would expect its their way of advertising the new product available soon.

Soon?  March?

Obviously when viewing the screen shot the system can offer it NOW but it is only available to the BGP account.  Essentially gifting a $2.60 Quinella (tote price $1.70) to BGP.  Why not spend that money directly advertising the new option?

1 hour ago, nomates said:

I actually thought the $2.60 was way too generous , could not see any other than a 1/2 finish for these two horses , the tote price of $1.70 was a more on the money . So i think the bookies were way too generous in the price they gave them .

On the evening itself i got the feeling from watching on TV that the crowd was not as large as previous years , some one could put me right on that . Also didn't seem quite the same atmosphere , still a very enjoyable race meeting tho .

In a city of 1-1/2 Mil, surely you could pull a crowd of 25k min? No rugby? No cricket?........is there so much to do in AKL, the crowd or 'gathering' looked abysmal, or did someone throw a party with free booze somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

You're kidding me?  

Well as the old saying goes "it is only a rort if you are not in on it!"

Yep thats a bit long in the bow of them.

As I say these guys have become very powerful and get their own way on a lot of things. 

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

In a city of 1-1/2 Mil, surely you could pull a crowd of 25k min? No rugby? No cricket?........is there so much to do in AKL, the crowd or 'gathering' looked abysmal, or did someone throw a party with free booze somewhere.

Agree with NM the crowd look a bit weaker than previous years, maybe unbeknown to us all 100s of Aussies have been coming along to the night?

5 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Soon?  March?

Obviously when viewing the screen shot the system can offer it NOW but it is only available to the BGP account.  Essentially gifting a $2.60 Quinella (tote price $1.70) to BGP.  Why not spend that money directly advertising the new option?

No argument from me, but this gift price is no different than the top up is it?

Soon?  March?

I would have thought they wouldn't get any better advertising, especially when the bet came in at well overs the tote dividend.  

• Like 1

Ang it looks like they also get a free bonus bet of $25.00 also. Outstanding.

Punters Club Update 💰
You will have seen now that your $100 is worth $96.
We rolled the dice in the last and just come up short🤧
That is two years now where we have come unstuck in the last for the same size bet! Madison county couldn’t get it done two years ago and this time Aegon breaks our hearts.
Here’s the good news 📰
The TAB will top your share back up to $100 for the members who withdraw to their TAB accounts.
Remember you will receive a bonus bet of $25 per account also.
We will get these processed early this week.
Thanks again for being apart of an amazing evening!
We hope you enjoyed it where ever you were in the country 💪🏼

4 hours ago, nomates said:

Clearly a pricing miscalculation by the bookies. Their error was not taking into account the million dollar stake money. In low grade racing where there are two $2 favourites the last thing a trainer wants is a gut buster going head to head. Thats why often one favourite is ridden up front whereas the other is ridden for luck coming with a late run. So the stats for those types of quinellas are skewed. 

In this case a quinella price of $1.70 probably right therefore fair to say BGP gifted $30,000 on top of the other perks.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2021 at 9:05 AM, Chief Stipe said:

This could be the first time you've been 'right' on something for over a year??

Its a disgraceful episode of mammout proportions....

...however it's symptomatic of NZ's naivety when it comes to wagering 101...

...competition for the wagering dollar, rails bookies, minimum betting limits et el are a complete mystery to our TAB white shirts and NZ's wagering community

...hell, even Bernie Ordinary couldn't understand wtf MBL's were when popped the question....

...he thought it was the responsibility of the TAB to adopt them...when it's in fact the Governing body...NZTR

Whats clear is that our TAB are shit scared of the sexist Boyz get pLAYED...

Theyve threatened to go off shore before so Thad and his boy wonders started bawling their eyes out and aq wee essed to demands issued

Girls blouses unbuttoned are them

• Like 1

Couple of things.

TAB marketing has to be separate from operations. In retailing you can't have the operators at the teller deciding who should have a free bottle of wine for being a good customer.

In this case the intentions of TAB were naive in the extreme. You just can't have certain customers getting special odds excluding others. Thats what leads to corruption and as I've pointed out I just can't see how an auditor could pick out this sort of carry on.

Secondly I feel BGP were being used by the "publican" down out the viaduct. Clearly his egotism means he's got to get back at racing for banning him for a year. BGP are not doing their members favours by devaluing their racing experience by hocking them off to the viaduct. Surely Auckland Racing Club would have had some pre and post racing functions there is plenty time for the viaduct but only one millions night.  Sadly some  TAB employees have bought into this ego tripping. 

• Like 2

Actually I'm starting to get an annoying bee under my bonnet about this.  All well and good to promote the hype and hoopla of the Karaka Millions Day but surely the offering of this bet exclusively to one customer contravenes Fair Trading regulations

I agree with your sentiments on this one. I don't have any problem with large betting customers getting more bang for their buck as that's what Company's have to do reward wise otherwise they will look to other outlets. Unfortunately we continue to read or hear where customers are cut big time wagering wise. 

Here is the TAB advertising bet with us and not overseas but for a NZ based monopoly they don't offer the service required. A minimum bet to win amount needs to be offered. If an average Greyhound book holds on close 10k a punter should be given a bet to win 1k min as long as they bet a few hours out. The book no doubt opens at around 130% closes at 120% so the opening overlay of 10% factors in any opening price errors as long as you have reasonable pricers. 

If the odds are out of kilter more than 10% once early trading shows that is the case then a good trader will move accordingly the odds to balance the book.  

No book should be concerned taking an early bet to lose 1k, its swings and rounadbouts winning and losing wise.

Same senario with harness might hold 20k close so minimum bet toi win 10% of 2k and if gallops 40k min bet to win 4k. The book is there to sell bets not candyfloss and it needs to be selling plenty of bets for the wagering platform to pay for itself.

I don't think an exclusive product should be offered, give BGP slightly better odds but once again how can you expect customers to come back and bet with you when they are excluded from certain products. Just dumb business practise.

I am sure as it is mentioned in the Racing Act that the NZ TAB is bound by the Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013.

Main purposes The main purposes of this Act are to—(a)promote the confident and informed participation of businesses, investors, and consumers in the financial markets; and (b)promote and facilitate the development of fair, efficient, and transparent financial markets.

You probably couldn't define a betting product overall as fair and transparent when except for a Group type situation your overall customer base isn't offered the same product. 

I am still trying to work out how the NZ TAB could be exempted in the Anti Money & counterfeiting Act for financial transations of 10k or more (in line with Aussie) that took effect on August 2019 yet on that same day the NZ TAB informed customers that if 1k was bet or collected photo ID and address details would be required. 

An Act can be amended but the details must be gazetted for the change to take place obviously in this case that could not have happened.

So under NZ Law New Zealanders rights were not recognised. Good to know that the NZ TAB regard themselves above the NZ Law. 

Once again the old line 'come back and bet with us' even though you won't be treated the same as overseas when  betting and collecting your transactions.