Bit Of A Yarn

Jamie Richards - Top Trainer

I know he has been a topic of discussion plenty of times, but I have to congratulate Jamie Richards, again.

Yes, he has a terrific operation behind him, he has Big D buying lovely horses, Karen doing a fantastic job managing and arranging syndicates, he doesn't have to lie awake worrying about how he will pay the wages, or where to source the best hay....all of that will be outside his responsibility.  But for consistency,  presentation of the runners, the detail in the preparation of these horses on the sheer scale that he has to deal with, sending horses all over the place to have them both educated, fit, and suitably placed;  he is a very, very talented trainer.

The horses are uniformly superb in the parade rings, professional in their racing and trained for the occasion.

Attention to detail, also. 

Our local club was put on notice that the stabling for their runners would have to be properly cleaned and fresh bedding laid.  As it should be for all visitors, but this team was the only one that insisted.

Te Akau has had other trainers over the years ( and no slur is intended on their efforts) but this young man has taken things to another level.

• Like 5
  • Champ Post 2

3 hours ago, Freda said:

I know he has been a topic of discussion plenty of times, but I have to congratulate Jamie Richards, again.

Yes, he has a terrific operation behind him, he has Big D buying lovely horses, Karen doing a fantastic job managing and arranging syndicates, he doesn't have to lie awake worrying about how he will pay the wages, or where to source the best hay....all of that will be outside his responsibility.  But for consistency,  presentation of the runners, the detail in the preparation of these horses on the sheer scale that he has to deal with, sending horses all over the place to have them both educated, fit, and suitably placed;  he is a very, very talented trainer.

The horses are uniformly superb in the parade rings, professional in their racing and trained for the occasion.

Attention to detail, also. 

Our local club was put on notice that the stabling for their runners would have to be properly cleaned and fresh bedding laid.  As it should be for all visitors, but this team was the only one that insisted.

Te Akau has had other trainers over the years ( and no slur is intended on their efforts) but this young man has taken things to another level.

For a young man he doesn't get fazed , always composed when interviewed , here and in Aus . Has the answers to all the questions and puts them forward clearly and precisely , if only all trainers were this open and approachable .

He obviously has a talented team of horse people behind him , i know that Scott Lucock runs his colts barn , Scott in his is a very good horseman , who achieved a decent amount of success in own right . If they are all of this calibre then it certainly takes a lot of weight off JR's shoulders . 

I am actually considering get on this gravy train , never thought i would . But hey , if you can't beat em , join them .

• Like 2

Wouldn't the real mark of guy be him going out on his own?

As it is he is likely to attract a lot of lovely bloodstock due to his performances with TA.

Have any other trainers that have left TA  continued to perform at the same level consistently?

I also believe NZ is in such a sad state racing wise the way TA are set up there not much chance of whoever is in charge not performing.

Take the sales today , they will buy whatever they want, will there be another NZ trainer(s) to challenge them? I highly doubt it. In fact one could argue they are getting too big for NZ.

Having said that he comes across as a 1st class guy and I wish him every success.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Huey said:

Take the sales today , they will buy whatever they want, will there be another NZ trainer(s) to challenge them?

They don't buy "whatever they want" they often get outbid by other bidders granted often from overseas.

33 minutes ago, Huey said:

In fact one could argue they are getting too big for NZ.

Too big or too successful?

The same argument has been used against Purdon and Rasmussen.  In my opinion NZ Racing would be poorer for their absence.  They set a standard here that is common in Metrop Australia.  They are also not adverse to sharing their experience and knowledge or offer assistance when a smaller operation wants to have a go across the ditch.

6 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They don't buy "whatever they want" they often get outbid by other bidders granted often from overseas.

Too big or too successful?

The same argument has been used against Purdon and Rasmussen.  In my opinion NZ Racing would be poorer for their absence.  They set a standard here that is common in Metrop Australia.  They are also not adverse to sharing their experience and knowledge or offer assistance when a smaller operation wants to have a go across the ditch.

No, getting outbid would explain why they purchased 3 of the top 5 lots at last years yearling sales and paid the highest price for a R2R horse last year. 

As for too big , well we will have to disagree on that, watch what happens over the next few years to racing in this country. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

No, getting outbid would explain why they purchased 3 of the top 5 lots at last years yearling sales and paid the highest price for a R2R horse last year. 

They still didn't get ALL the horses they were after.  Hell if they weren't there then there'd be a lot more heading out on a plane overseas in the next couple of weeks.  While you are thinking about that it wasn't one of the top 5 lots that won the Karaka Million yesterday.  It cost $90k which which you would think was well within the range of many stables in this country.

6 minutes ago, Huey said:

As for too big , well we will have to disagree on that, watch what happens over the next few years to racing in this country. 

Huey you know what is wrong with NZ Racing and isn't one stable becoming "too big".  If a stable is dominating that is a symptom not the cause.

I'd say a bigger problem is the AWT installed at Cambridge - that can only but help any stable that isn't based there.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

They still didn't get ALL the horses they were after.  Hell if they weren't there then there'd be a lot more heading out on a plane overseas in the next couple of weeks.

Huey you know what is wrong with NZ Racing and isn't one stable becoming "too big".  If a stable is dominating that is a symptom not the cause.

I'd say a bigger problem is the AWT installed at Cambridge - that can only but help any stable that isn't based there.

Haha that might be true, only problem is most people be racing there soon enough don't you think?

• Chief Stipe changed the title to Jamie Richards - Top Trainer

Numbers game. Richards should have the winners, look at his team over the last few years. 
Just like the purdons, they have all the owners, expensive vets , best jockeys/drivers etc. 

How good a trainer is he, who knows, while others take what horses are offered, he can pick what he likes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Numbers game. Richards should have the winners, look at his team over the last few years. 
Just like the purdons, they have all the owners, expensive vets , best jockeys/drivers etc. 

How good a trainer is he, who knows, while others take what horses are offered, he can pick what he likes

But, that was my point on the headpost.       Te Akau has had other trainers, very competent horsemen  - Mark Walker, Jason Bridgeman, Steven Autridge - and all have had the same or similar structures to work with, but Jamie's results are outstanding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Freda said:

But, that was my point on the headpost.       Te Akau has had other trainers, very competent horsemen  - Mark Walker, Jason Bridgeman, Steven Autridge - and all have had the same or similar structures to work with, but Jamie's results are outstanding.

Has NZ Racing ever been in such a poor state though Freda? not diminishing achievements at all. But the state of the game here makes it a trifle easier for massive entity like that to dominate?

• Like 1

Oh yes, I'm sure moi coined the phrase "there's no i in team" somewhere inda past...

But seriously Davo was lucky Jammie only got a Sunline scholarship and not on the intensive life changing Godolphin Flying Start program...

...where he would have been subjected to unwanted attention from Arabian Princesses and American nouveau riche types...

...believe moi, when those fellas get their claws in there's NO escape...

...besides he would have missed out on the glorious glam girl Danielle's attention...so lucky for her he took the easy option

Night classes at the English National Stud is more or less pints of Guinness beside a roaring hot fire..with glue wine chasers

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Oh yes, I'm sure moi coined the phrase "there's no i in team" somewhere inda past...

But seriously Davo was lucky Jammie only got a Sunline scholarship and not on the intensive life changing Godolphin Flying Start program...

...where he would have been subjected to unwanted attention from Arabian Princesses and American nouveau riche types...

...believe moi, when those fellas get their claws in there's NO escape...

...besides he would have missed out on the glorious glam girl Danielle's attention...so lucky for her he took the easy option

Night classes at the English National Stud is more or less pints of Guinness beside a roaring hot fire..with glue wine chasers

Davo is fortunate he got the whole Richards family...don't underestimate good southern stock.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Weight of numbers sure is an important factor in being a dominating force. (like Te Akau and Allstars)

BUT don't forget , just like everyone else , these outfits select yearlings at the sales and/ or have Owners who breed from their stock , so Richards /Purdon/ Rasmussen have to APPLY their procedures and skill to get that stock to the Winners circle.

And Mr Richards doing slightly better than predecessors as Freda said through this thread,

and Mark Purdon , already a fine trainer, went to absolute 'Stratosphere ' level when Natalie Rasmussen joined him a few years ago. (she was already a champion winning 4 Interdominions (biggest harness race there is) with Blacks A Fake. Think they have won the last 5 NZ Cups and Auckland Cups as well. Totally amazing trainers !

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Freda said:

Davo is fortunate he got the whole Richards family...don't underestimate good southern stock.

Did their stock arrive on the boat from Scotland to Dunners or were they in the first boats to CHCH...and onto a glorious education at Christ's College....

...where the finest men in the history of the World arrived to make life in the Colonies bearable and meaningful?

You part of the first boaters freda?

30 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Weight of numbers sure is an important factor in being a dominating force. (like Te Akau and Allstars)

BUT don't forget , just like everyone else , these outfits select yearlings at the sales and/ or have Owners who breed from their stock , so Richards /Purdon/ Rasmussen have to APPLY their procedures and skill to get that stock to the Winners circle.

And Mr Richards doing slightly better than predecessors as Freda said through this thread,

and Mark Purdon , already a fine trainer, went to absolute 'Stratosphere ' level when Natalie Rasmussen joined him a few years ago. (she was already a champion winning 4 Interdominions (biggest harness race there is) with Blacks A Fake. Think they have won the last 5 NZ Cups and Auckland Cups as well. Totally amazing trainers !

Don't forget to insert an * over MP's moniker...

He indulged in Blue Magic...apologised...then went on to blood spinning for an extra 'legal' go fast...and what about Razz's sword of damacles...where's that case at?

19 minutes ago, Thomass said:

Don't forget to insert an * over MP's moniker...

He indulged in Blue Magic...apologised...then went on to blood spinning for an extra 'legal' go fast...and what about Razz's sword of damacles...where's that case at?

Hey Thomass*****  , there's 30 years of winning races for Nat, 39 years exactly for Mark, both in your fine nation and all over Australia as well, without being DQed, even if you think Allstars get 'legal' protection there , they certainly wouldn't get it here. (and they won PLENTY over here over the years) 

In fact, Natalie Rasmussen's sister VICKI as trainer, won with the 2 Allstars horses (again) last Sat night in QLD.

Do you need to investigate???? Look for some foul play in your imagination?

Maybe it's just the The Horses are Pretty good, and the horsemen / women are exceptional !!!

INNOCENT until proven guilty , and sentenced. That's where case is at.

also its 'Damocles' if you want to use big words from history. 

• Like 1