Bit Of A Yarn

What are Auckland doing wrong?

eljay

50 minutes ago, eljay said:

Premier meeting - big money up - pathetic nominations.     Why??    The maiden race for 12 thou only 5 noms.       Something is drastically wrong!      Damned if I can see what.

Yay Gamms is back 😄

Not really sure. The only things I could think that may contribute are :

1. Traffic getting there if you have to travel.  If you are a 1 or 2 horse band, small stable or a hobby trainer.  All that road noise on motor-way could scare the horses. Its hectic enough these days & with horses on back just adds to stress. Fri evenings can be the worst. Trucks wouldn’t be so effected but still traffic.

2. Then my mind goes to a pyramid. Top horses there just naturally less of, and the average horses there are more of. Maybe like humans less Olympics athletics, or top level, more of us that fit into the average category. Therefore with Alex, targeting the top is naturally going to have less.

3. A smaller pool of horses in the North than South. 

If you have an average horse which most people do, would you prefer to just wait for a less stress free race-day, low key & weaker fields, even if it is for less stake money ☝️ 

I know what option I would be going for, unless I had a special horse. Otherwise be too much effort & not guaranteed a placing.

* Don’t they get bigger fields in winter, but in saying that too, don’t they target the South of the Bombay horses, so those know they will be racing more like for like & its lower prize money too. But they come for that.

The fillies race looks nice. Darling Me, Enjoy Me, Bettor Twist, La Rosa. Same re Spirit of St Lou up against Copy That 😃

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Karrots said:

If you have an average horse which most people do, would you prefer to just wait for a less stress free race-day, low key & weaker fields, even if it is for less stake money

This is the issue Karrots, The mid trainers know that chasing Green, B Purdon, Hughes and one or 2 others around at Auckland with average horses , Can only lead to 'Burning them Out' and they stop trying altogeather.

PLACEMENT is essential to results. better to go to Cambridge or such where they go a fraction Slower?. 

Also so many of the quality horses have been sold to AUS and USA. (Too many)  Leaves it much weaker there for the group races at the main tracks for the top liners still racing. (usually the millionaire owners with no need to sell)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

This is the issue Karrots, The mid trainers know that chasing Green, B Purdon, Hughes and one or 2 others around at Auckland with average horses , Can only lead to 'Burning them Out' and they stop trying altogeather.

PLACEMENT is essential to results. better to go to Cambridge or such where they go a fraction Slower?. 

Yip makes sense. Even Hughes, I remember reading an article last year in which he mentioned he is picky with horses he takes to Alex. I specially recall him mentioning a horse called Giddy Height, that she might be good enough to go, raced once up there, but nope.

I also recall a Chilcott trained horse. I thought at time, yip Alex horse, ran some hard races up there, fast times, then it never really again was the same. Even 1 time at Camb later it was in lead and turning for home in home straight it broke up was a sure winner was out by 2-3 lengths. I think it now races down South. That would be a specific example of what you say re burn out from fast hard racing at Alex. 

Also Im thinking too those Central Districts peeps, bugger travelling all the way up to Auckland, then on top of that hitting traffic. So that would count most of those out. To travel to Camb for them is a trek in itself but do-able, but Auckland is further up + traffic. No thanks.

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

back in the brodsters day canterbury stables would head north for auckland carnivals and vice versa re cup week and easter

with stakes pretty stagnant and travels costs probably increasing could this be part of the issue

Yeah I guess there would be a whole bunch of contributing factors including the one you put forward,

With costs so high living in Auckland too, would that be potentially halting young blood, I mean Poutamu just moved back to Parmy.

On box-seat they said they would be discussing the issue in a couple weeks time, re North horse low numbers, specially Auks.

Well there needs to be some solutions put forward. Re-adjustments to current model. Because the current one ain’t working anymore it would seem.

Why do I get the vibe that the Auckland club not members but a small selection of others maybe a bit Karrot like 😜

Maybe they need to pull that Karrot out of their you know what hehehe.

troye sivan dancing GIF

Edited by Karrots
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

back in the brodsters day canterbury stables would head north for auckland carnivals and vice versa re cup week and easter

There was nothing like seeing what fabulous Southerners would come to Alex Park each month when I was there as a lad, starting from the first time I went there at Christmas 78'  LOCARNO stormed to victory in the Messenger with a devastating sprint (like his brilliant 1980 miracle mile sprint) to take Victory. !!!        

Not long after SAPLING won the Auckland Cup for the Southerners too on my second Alex park visit.

each month brought someone new, Matai Dreamer (GN Derby) Even Speed for Rowe Cup.  Great times . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

with stakes pretty stagnant and travels costs probably increasing could this be part of the issue

Plus the uncertainty of a Covid-19 lockdown.  Why leave home?

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Why do I get the vibe that the Auckland club not members but a small selection of others maybe a bit Karrot like 😜

Maybe they need to pull that Karrot out of their you know what hehehe.

Remember reading an article & Alex kind of stabbing Camb in back. When it came to dishing out dates draft calendar last year, re new schedule when a number of grass tracks had not been given. They were trying to take some dates of Camb or something. Because they were the premier track/club. Even when they had numbers problems.

Then another attitude no R40’s & top of the rank horses within each grade, attitude, this would be fine, but it seemed to come with a vibe like looking down on others they didn't make the cut.

Maybe the attitude has changed … Hopefully.

Wonder who is going to hold the crown at the end of today, Im keeping it warm … wonder if its going to be Eljay with a phone bid 😄

dog phone GIF

Edited by Karrots
  • Haha 2

Some (good) reasons but very few answers.     My only suggestion is a lot of either day or night meetings on a Saturday.     It may not work - but we don't know unless it is tried.     Ellerslie the supposed Thoroughbred leaders have in the past vehemently opposed harness Saturday as that is THEIR day.    Well those days are over and the ATC, HRNZ, Racing Bard (whatever it may now be called) the TAB etc. have to all get behind Saturday racing in the country's main area of population.   If it's not tried they will never know.     And it's also no sense saying next seasons dates have been set.    It is easy to re-hash it dont take 6 months for that!

8 hours ago, Rangatira said:

What you mean Ranga?

I am nowhere near being sent out to pasture!

Brodie is still very much in his prime and loving life!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eljay said:

Some (good) reasons but very few answers.     My only suggestion is a lot of either day or night meetings on a Saturday.     It may not work - but we don't know unless it is tried.     Ellerslie the supposed Thoroughbred leaders have in the past vehemently opposed harness Saturday as that is THEIR day.    Well those days are over and the ATC, HRNZ, Racing Bard (whatever it may now be called) the TAB etc. have to all get behind Saturday racing in the country's main area of population.   If it's not tried they will never know.     And it's also no sense saying next seasons dates have been set.    It is easy to re-hash it dont take 6 months for that!

Yes correct, and I thought about that as I was replying alot of identifying issues but less problem solving.

In fairness tho BOAY has offered up FOC tips to ownership and also a creative video for ownership. So where are our BOAY prizes for our next selections comp or Jewels Camb comp hehe 😁

Also what Karrots would suggest would be - Alex needs to seriously lose the Karrot attitude.

+ go away Covid - in fairness vaccine is here. Chief/Brodie I am not looking for a disagreement. But bring it if you want 😁 Hehe all my friends 😁 - I'm with Whippy/Gamms on that. I never told you Whippy! as you were too much in my face at that time. Arrgh. Anyway moving forward 😁

Also agree Sat Eljay, as Fri nite is a diaster for traffic, maybe even Puke or elsewhere in Aucks that is South to count South of Bombays in. Laugh it up anyone that thinks this is funny, but I tell you, you travel in Auckland Fri evening traffic + a horse float on the back and you may not be laughing. I try to keep away from motorway anytime from 3pm - 6pm.

Agree Eljay next season have not been set, I don't believe draft. And good on those that, fought for their dates back. Better to go down fighting than not to fight at all.

Id need to think it over on other solutions. But we might need  BOAY prizes for solutions hehehehehehe

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Karrots said:

Yes correct, and I thought about that as I was replying alot of identifying issues but less problem solving.

In fairness tho BOAY has offered up FOC tips to ownership and also a creative video for ownership

Auckland is a huge city, and am sure the people there love to get togeather at the week-end. 

Why not a Sunday lunch-time meeting every 2 weeks? or are there too many shadows? (grass track South Island Sundays trot meetings look great?)

I always thought the 'track' was a great spot , as food and drink , available, put some kids rides out the back of stand, etc, grandparents get 'day out' as well as most don't go out at night anymore.

The Auckland trainers could race their 'Second stringers' there for moderate stake money and get some wins?, (maybe some owned by syndicates of family members) and some great entertainment had by all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

I always thought the 'track' was a great spot , as food and drink , available, put some kids rides out the back of stand, etc, grandparents get 'day out' as well as most don't go out at night anymore.

I have never been but it looks like Banks Peninsula has a really good picnic type atmosphere on a good sunny day, people of all ages and kids can run around,

The only tracks i get to go to are dilapidated and next to no one there at ascot park if its a weekday,

The powers that be really need to rethink Harness racing from scratch as an entertainment product cause its become dismal over a long time and I have just accepted it,

Found texas hold em far more entertaining and convenient for the leisure dollar.

Gamma you would think they would have a grass track day specifically for families with lots of food and drinks (not the same ol alcoholics there for the cheaper beer) and side attractions, plus when they run those 25 mins between races helps alot, 12 races at 35 mins is too much for me and for anyone with kids!

4 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

People may go to the odd promoted event if its marketed, not just grass and a kiddies castle, Big deal! They used to get good crowds at the northern grass meetings over the holidays from what I could see on tv, but maybe they weren't bringing enough turnover so gave up caring?

The TAB have proven ALL! they care about is is the dollar, dont care where or how or from whom and its just backfiring, There next step is probably selling drugs to little kiddies to try and save their MASSIVE and continual fuck ups!

Nightmares of no more Champagne Brunches and days off for golf!

I remember Ascot Park flying down the MAD BUTCHER!  He in the bar drinking piss and cooking a sausage, Bet you 98% had no idea who he was, had no stores down here or tv ads, only league watchers may have known,

But thats just the really lacklustre promotion thats gone on for the last few decades,

Remember the aussie horse with the fireworks display around the sulky at addington?

Rachel Hunter, dr warner of shortland street! lol

Need some of nats ecstasy magic pills, that would keep the interest up for 4-6 hours with a redose! 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

Vince Silvestro.jpg

Crikey Ranga ! that looks like it could go pear shaped any second. hahaha what a sight it must of been !!!!

Here's one from the Brisbane Exhibition ( is like Akld easter show) where Donny Ross and Tony Turpin (dad of leading trainer Chantel) would charge around for ten minutes like Charlton Heston in BEN HUR . Magic !!!!!

Don Ross Show Entertainment - 756 Photos - Local Business - Queensland,  Australia

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Crikey Ranga ! that looks like it could go pear shaped any second. hahaha what a sight it must of been !!!!

Here's one from the Brisbane Exhibition ( is like Akld easter show) where Donny Ross and Tony Turpin (dad of leading trainer Chantel) would charge around for ten minutes like Charlton Heston in BEN HUR . Magic !!!!!

Don Ross Show Entertainment - 756 Photos - Local Business - Queensland,  Australia

it was a bit of a flop as I think it might have been thru the interdominions and they had to make sure it didnt scare any of the other horses around so delayed onr of the races i think or they had to make it after the last race,

imo it wasnt that impressive lol , was on news too as to asure the animal activists the horse wasnt worried, he made sure he didnt whip it lol!  just gently flombaying it with gunpowder!

• Haha 1

I remember

4 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Vince Silvestro.jpg

I saw that with the family at addington.I remember everyone at the races,and they used to get reasonable crowds back then,all stayed around and i remember all my family thinking it was great. There hasn't been anything like it since,nor will ever likely to be.

• Like 2