Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury gooooonnne

Basil

6 minutes ago, mumbles said:

That stadium along with others built ,like the Waikato Stadium are a sponge on ratepayers money.The bludging never stops.

If the Rugby Unions had to pay market rates they would fold.

I think most stadiums are a bit of a drain and yes the rugby union never seem to front up with some cash to build,they only turn up to cash in,it still doesn't change the fact though that the stadium is still a great complex,and the original comment was regarding the negative old farts on council who don't want anything positive done

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Getting back to the Wyndham situation,for a while there were no race dates,no workouts and no trials,seems somewhere there has been a change of heart,trials today,races 31 march,seems it's not gone yet,probably won't be either.

It is now rated the #1 track in Southland.... big change of heart 😅😅

46 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I think most stadiums are a bit of a drain and yes the rugby union never seem to front up with some cash to build,they only turn up to cash in,it still doesn't change the fact though that the stadium is still a great complex,and the original comment was regarding the negative old farts on council who don't want anything positive done

Visionaries are what most organisations lack.Remember Sir Dove Meyer Robinson wanting light rail in Auckland many years ago at a cost of 12million.

1 hour ago, mikeynz said:

Talking about stadiums that Rugby ground in Invercargill is becoming a liability,yet Nelson once a back block now has a Stadium up to test standard  probably brought about by the success of Tasman in the NPC so if you have sporting teams that succeed you have some positives,and losers like invers it's all negative.

But the rugby guys do piggy back off the councils in many ways but they do need each other really.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Talking about stadiums that Rugby ground in Invercargill is becoming a liability,yet Nelson once a back block now has a Stadium up to test standard  probably brought about by the success of Tasman in the NPC so if you have sporting teams that succeed you have some positives,and losers like invers it's all negative.

But the rugby guys do piggy back off the councils in many ways but they do need each other really.

Just to clarify that comment ,I'm not saying invers people are losers but the struggles of the rugby team mean the stadiums tends to become a underused facility,people want winners,crowds of 20000 use to go to touring matches,now a thing of the past,few turn up

9 hours ago, Davis said:

It is now rated the #1 track in Southland.... big change of heart 😅😅

According to the report they state that no new complex and not sure if Wingatui is probable either which means boom,suggesting moving all the dates to Wyndham,not sure if they would want all that racing so so much to consider,very difficult and changing times

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Southland Race club president reckons trotting club buy Forbury lights and have night racing in Southland,any thoughts ?

I'm confused. Where will they put the lights? Ascot Park is marked for closure, so unlikely to be worth installing there. I think Wyndham is too big a track for the Forbury lights, they would need double or triple the lighting that Forbury had likewise Winton? 

10 minutes ago, Davis said:

I'm confused. Where will they put the lights? Ascot Park is marked for closure, so unlikely to be worth installing there. I think Wyndham is too big a track for the Forbury lights, they would need double or triple the lighting that Forbury had likewise Winton? 

I think Southland Race club should buy them,uts their course,might be looking at something to inject life back in to place but frankly in summer its daylight till ten,in winter well it's too cold,isn't that one of Forburys downfall,winter racing?

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:25 PM, mikeynz said:

I would suspect Wingatui, but who knows,Forbury was the first time I went to the races1975 Festival ,night 2,that's where I got the bug but at the time the spectacle was colourful and exciting,and the crowds who turned up were impressive too, times change,just trying to think of some of the horses and races that were .

I've just been checking out the results from that first meeting I went to Forbury,that was a midweeker as Auckland had the intercoms.

Gee good fields,good horse,that was par for the course for Forbury in those days so one question,where has it gone so wrong,any answers?

Just to add hrnz website has great historic results section,one can get lost in them for ages.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

I've just been checking out the results from that first meeting I went to Forbury,that was a midweeker as Auckland had the intercoms.

Gee good fields,good horse,that was par for the course for Forbury in those days so one question,where has it gone so wrong,any answers?

Just to add hrnz website has great historic results section,one can get lost in them for ages.

One answer would be that there wasn't as much racing in those days. Another that there were more OC horses in that era too. You had to win 10 races to get to Cup class, not an easy task. Nowadays, five or six win horses get a start in the NZ Cup. There were also so more horses trained in the south in those days. South Canterbury had a lot of good trainers back then, few train in the area now. 

32 minutes ago, Davis said:

One answer would be that there wasn't as much racing in those days. Another that there were more OC horses in that era too. You had to win 10 races to get to Cup class, not an easy task. Nowadays, five or six win horses get a start in the NZ Cup. There were also so more horses trained in the south in those days. South Canterbury had a lot of good trainers back then, few train in the area now. 

32 minutes ago, Davis said:

Maybe there is overkill?

8 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Interesting how the suits who want to close racing down in Dunedin area because of lack of horse population yet four winners at Oamaru yesty,2 from Waikouiti,I from the plains and one from Brighton.

I was talking to a local hobby interest owner/trainer for whom meetings like Forbury have been invaluable over the years. As he said, from Oamaru south until you hit Southland, the list of venues is fast becoming zero.

People who have been the heartbeat, life and blood of the industry, are thus effectively being driven out. And that just gives the suits justification for closing more down.