Bit Of A Yarn

Forbury gooooonnne

Basil

Forbury have been stuffed because of a number of reasons but a huge part for the last 5 years has been the race dates been given by HRNZ, very hard to have huge turnover on a wednesday or thursday evening or sunday afternoon, although these race times look perfect to get the students in for a drink or 10 and a bet they failed to even capture that market in student town!!!

Why can't the major 10 trotting clubs in NZ have say 3 or 4 saturday race meetings a year starting at 13:00 or so and help fill the clubs coffers with $$$ and maximise the biggest betting day in our country and Australia, doing this will allow for the crap days clubs get for turnover.

Having Addington as our only place with lights in the South Island isn't great planning, I for one don't want to see average Southland/Otago horses hiking up to Canterbury and getting beaten on a weekly basis over winter as eventually owners will give up-  what's the plan for June to September for Otago/Southland this year? can't just have Winton/Invercargill every second week in the freezing cold, owners paying $1500 a month for a horse in training and very few meetings to even get a race they'll give up or a huge horse population will just be spelled and only race November to May.

When Forbury goes I want to see the suits have a plan A/B/C/D/E but I highly doubt they even have a plan A.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Forbury have been stuffed because of a number of reasons but a huge part for the last 5 years has been the race dates been given by HRNZ, very hard to have huge turnover on a wednesday or thursday evening or sunday afternoon, although these race times look perfect to get the students in for a drink or 10 and a bet they failed to even capture that market in student town!!!

Why can't the major 10 trotting clubs in NZ have say 3 or 4 saturday race meetings a year starting at 13:00 or so and help fill the clubs coffers with $$$ and maximise the biggest betting day in our country and Australia, doing this will allow for the crap days clubs get for turnover.

Having Addington as our only place with lights in the South Island isn't great planning, I for one don't want to see average Southland/Otago horses hiking up to Canterbury and getting beaten on a weekly basis over winter as eventually owners will give up-  what's the plan for June to September for Otago/Southland this year? can't just have Winton/Invercargill every second week in the freezing cold, owners paying $1500 a month for a horse in training and very few meetings to even get a race they'll give up or a huge horse population will just be spelled and only race November to May.

When Forbury goes I want to see the suits have a plan A/B/C/D/E but I highly doubt they even have a plan A.

It looks like Ascot Park will also be closed. They are talking that Wyndham could become the main track in Southland. Wyndham is a good track but it's a distance from Invercargill. Southland is one of the harness strongholds in New Zealand but may not be for much longer if these plans are undertaken. Thoughts?

35 minutes ago, Davis said:

It looks like Ascot Park will also be closed. They are talking that Wyndham could become the main track in Southland. Wyndham is a good track but it's a distance from Invercargill. Southland is one of the harness strongholds in New Zealand but may not be for much longer if these plans are undertaken. Thoughts?

Gee the changes mooted keep changing aye,maybe it might makes sense Wyndham racing,all the money the Invercargill club give to the racing club might be better kept for the harness code,I think each need each other though.

As for what would happen if Forbury go,winter racing was all Ascot Park last winter,something will happen I guess.

Racing will continue in Dunedin in some form as well,probably at Wingatui,,I think so many factors stumped Forbury,if they go to Wingatui the number of meetings they have may be less relevant as the course i is not their sole responsibility.

Cant really see Ascot going but who knows,everybody seems to have a new idea.

With all the talk of change what are they going to do with the biggest sliding venue,Alexandra Park?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

Gee the changes mooted keep changing aye,maybe it might makes sense Wyndham racing,all the money the Invercargill club give to the racing club might be better kept for the harness code,I think each need each other though.

As for what would happen if Forbury go,winter racing was all Ascot Park last winter,something will happen I guess.

Racing will continue in Dunedin in some form as well,probably at Wingatui,,I think so many factors stumped Forbury,if they go to Wingatui the number of meetings they have may be less relevant as the course i is not their sole responsibility.

Cant really see Ascot going but who knows,everybody seems to have a new idea.

With all the talk of change what are they going to do with the biggest sliding venue,Alexandra Park?

Sell Alex Park, bulldoze it, and build Cindy's "Be kind to each other" housing complex.

• Like 1

I am curious to know what the relocation alternatives are for Forbury Park, apart from heading to Wingatui.

Dunedin isn't blessed with a lot of available, accessible flat spaces so I am curious if there's a surprise Plan B.

From a personal point of view, I would relocate to Oamaru, put the lights in, and upgrade my corporate box. But then I might be biased.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dougie said:

Have to say i don't follow trotting as much as i used when younger , but it appears you guys are as f*^ked up as us gallops boys . As for plans , wouldn't hold your breath if your top guys are as poor as ours . It's a sad situation all over .

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Ludwig said:

I am curious to know what the relocation alternatives are for Forbury Park, apart from heading to Wingatui.

Dunedin isn't blessed with a lot of available, accessible flat spaces so I am curious if there's a surprise Plan B.

From a personal point of view, I would relocate to Oamaru, put the lights in, and upgrade my corporate box. But then I might be biased.

Looking at building a new facility on the Taieri plains I heard. Could be the best track in NZ if they do it right.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Luds, tomorrow nite Majestic Man, sorry quick change of subject. 

Go MM. Hope he gets a nice run and gets over the top of them or close. Regardless I see it as a successful campaign for them. Nothing wrong with winning a G1 & multiple G1 placings + this run another G1 also to boot all in a matter of what 3-4 weeks. 

Good for them taking the risk, making money and making memories.

1 hour ago, Nowornever said:

Looking at building a new facility on the Taieri plains I heard. Could be the best track in NZ if they do it right.

I would suspect Wingatui, but who knows,Forbury was the first time I went to the races1975 Festival ,night 2,that's where I got the bug but at the time the spectacle was colourful and exciting,and the crowds who turned up were impressive too, times change,just trying to think of some of the horses and races that were .

10 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

And don't forget, Dunedin has the "inspirational" David Clark as it's MP....so it's used to having silly old farts in charge.

You say that and yes Dunedin being what it is does have a lot of negative fuckers but despite negativity they went from Carisbrook to the edge of the harbour stadium,seems to have turned out ok in the end 

11 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Sell Alex Park, bulldoze it, and build Cindy's "Be kind to each other" housing complex.

Already a shooting at/adjacent to one of Phil's "be kind housing complexes" today and it not even finished.     Perhaps these new prospective slums should have an MP from the party that built them housed there too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Davis said:

Ascot Park closed?   It was the designated track to remain in use for galloping....never  mind that good old Gore had to step in when Invers was unable to be used....I seem to recall Saundry intoning about a 'greenfields' type development incorporating galloping, harness, dogs, and probably equestrian activities as well.  So, if it is correct that closure for harness is in the wind, that notion goes out the window.

Plan Z ?

No money for racing in Otago.

Very few trainers in Dunedin now, so they wont be building any nee tracks.

They may race on the grass at Wingatui, which is a shit of a track for harness.

They will just race at Oamaru, but not looking that flash for harness unless you have horses in Canterbury full stop!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freda said:

Ascot Park closed?   It was the designated track to remain in use for galloping....never  mind that good old Gore had to step in when Invers was unable to be used....I seem to recall Saundry intoning about a 'greenfields' type development incorporating galloping, harness, dogs, and probably equestrian activities as well.  So, if it is correct that closure for harness is in the wind, that notion goes out the window.

Plan Z ?

I read in ODT before Winton gallops will race in Gore,well that's a great vote  of no confidence for Ascot aye

Edited by mikeynz

13 hours ago, mikeynz said:

You say that and yes Dunedin being what it is does have a lot of negative fuckers but despite negativity they went from Carisbrook to the edge of the harbour stadium,seems to have turned out ok in the end 

That stadium along with others built ,like the Waikato Stadium are a sponge on ratepayers money.The bludging never stops.

If the Rugby Unions had to pay market rates they would fold.

• Haha 1