Bit Of A Yarn

Unheralded Harness Heartland

Happy Sunrise

2 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Brodie,

I think most of us are a bit heavier than we were some years ago!!

On a different tack. How about putting a heavier driver on leading up to a big race to toughen your horse up, and then a slighter weighted driver on for the big race. Much like the thoroughbreds dropping in weight and the horse finding it easier.

Cheers.

Robert.

Im not 100% sure, but were either Gavin Hampton or henry skinner big boned? I have some vague memory as a kid seeing them when they ventured north to Alex park early 80's, but could have been puffy silks back then!

2 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Im not 100% sure, but were either Gavin Hampton or henry skinner big boned? I have some vague memory as a kid seeing them when they ventured north to Alex park early 80's, but could have been puffy silks back then!

Both fairly big. Robert Cameron was a bit porky, 

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Has anyone mentioned Eric Ryan yet?  When in the cart his knees used to be up beside his ears!!

Yep Chief mentioned a couple of times earlier in the blog!

He weighed slightly more with his cigarette in the side of his mouth!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/06/2018 at 9:23 AM, Brodie said:

Brodie is on the money.

Barry Purdon was a good driver and has an excellent UDR, but you have to remember he was driving when the Purdon horses were so dominant many years ago, and anyone could’ve won on them.

They are not so dominant nowadays are they?

Brodie on the money? 

You’ve been wrong more than you’ve been right on this thread. Sometimes it’s just best to say you were wrong and leave it at that. Will get more respect

• Haha 1

Another one.  Eric was out jogging a horse on the roadside grass (they used to do that in Canterbury) anyway the horse had had enough and decided to head for home.  Got to the cattle stop and puts a leg between the rails and stops.  Eric gets out of the cart, lights his pipe, looks at the horse, leaves it and goes home for lunch.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I thought it was a pipe?  Heard some classic stories about Eric that would turn the animal activists pale!

I witnessed some of Eric's antics  at Mot trials and workouts,he would be banned from racing if today's rules were in back then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Richie said:

I witnessed some of Eric's antics  at Mot trials and workouts,he would be banned from racing if today's rules were in back then.

eric hard case mot trails was talking to him one day and I said to him who is driving your horse and he said the wife is she cant drive for shit but shes good f was his answer haha

• Haha 3

Eric had a horse that just wouldn't quicken when asked to go even when tried vigorously with the whip so Eric got a rather large piece of barbed wire and attached to end of whip.

Trouble was when he hit horse it took offence and pig rooted and kicked cart to bits and the big fella was left sitting on the track with the horse bolting for dearlife.Eric came in and offered the horse for free to anybody that wanted it.One of our stable owners decided he wanted it and my boss took half share to train it and managed to qualify it and sell it for quite good dosh within few months.Was by Docs Tuck that I think John Scott used to stand

1 hour ago, Portfolio said:

Brodie on the money? 

You’ve been wrong more than you’ve been right on this thread. Sometimes it’s just best to say you were wrong and leave it at that. Will get more respect

Portfolio, what do you mean that Brodie is wr wr wr wrooong?

Never!

Edited by Brodie
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Not mentioning names, but a trainer at the trials one day at Mot. supposedly shot a horse and started cutting it up in front of other horses that were in nearby stalls!

Surely horses in other stalls would have tried a little harder when time to race ?

Not saying I don’t believe this, but I’m hoping it’s just in your imagination and you’ve recently been watching some trashy horse horror 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

eric hard case mot trails was talking to him one day and I said to him who is driving your horse and he said the wife is she cant drive for shit but shes good f was his answer haha

Had handy type called Big Idea in the 80s. His daughter Marie Price , didn’t she have good trotter So Long Eden? Thought she trained and drove it early on, but I could be wrong 

11 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Had handy type called Big Idea in the 80s. His daughter Marie Price , didn’t she have good trotter So Long Eden? Thought she trained and drove it early on, but I could be wrong 

No, don’t think it was Marie price was it? 

Heres Eric’s horses. 

11F52EF4-BEF2-4EC8-BE39-02B1F5F1DEB2.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Eric had a horse that just wouldn't quicken when asked to go even when tried vigorously with the whip so Eric got a rather large piece of barbed wire and attached to end of whip.

Trouble was when he hit horse it took offence and pig rooted and kicked cart to bits and the big fella was left sitting on the track with the horse bolting for dearlife.Eric came in and offered the horse for free to anybody that wanted it.One of our stable owners decided he wanted it and my boss took half share to train it and managed to qualify it and sell it for quite good dosh within few months.Was by Docs Tuck that I think John Scott used to stand

Actually thinking about it think it was by Red John

1 hour ago, Richie said:

Tuckers rule (docs tuck) was a fav of mine used to have good duels as a two year old with slugger and paleface tryax when they raced a 1609m for 2yos at Alex pk....can't think of many docs tuck horses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Surely horses in other stalls would have tried a little harder when time to race ?

Not saying I don’t believe this, but I’m hoping it’s just in your imagination and you’ve recently been watching some trashy horse horror 

No fair dinkum, it was nearly at the end of the trials.

Wont mention the name  but many people will know who I am talking about!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Not mentioning names, but a trainer at the trials one day at Mot. supposedly shot a horse and started cutting it up in front of other horses that were in nearby stalls!

Wasn’t  a motukarara trainer involved in a shooting out that way in the 80s /90s? 

John Sheenan or something, somebody will remember 

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

Wasn’t  a motukarara trainer involved in a shooting out that way in the 80s /90s? 

John Sheenan or something, somebody will remember 

Yes, shot a man who was trying to stop an argument.

An absolute shocker, people with armed with guns