Bit Of A Yarn

Unheralded Harness Heartland

Happy Sunrise

53 minutes ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Ha-ha... best laugh I have had to today.

What do the Gills contribute to harness racing? How are the Gills vital to harness racing and its sustainability? Why are they just as important as the big guns on Cup day? The Gills represent slow, unfit horses that are usually beaten 1000m from home. Yes, the food suppliers for the Gill stable will be doing well, farriers, harness sellers and repairers... poorly trained horses like the Gills eat as much as an All Stars horse. But that is where it ends... I doubt any horse in the Gill stables pays its way therefore they are a liability and do nothing to enhance harness racing. None of the present team of Gill horses would get a start on a premier day like Cup Day so your point is in invalid. To the Gills harness racing is a hobby and that is Ok but don't try and tell me they contribute something to harness racing because they don't. If they disappeared tomorrow no one would notice and no one would care.

Off you go back to Racecafe.

You can go and post your topics there.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

What do the Gills contribute to harness racing? How are the Gills vital to harness racing and its sustainability? Why are they just as important as the big guns on Cup day? The Gills represent slow, unfit horses that are usually beaten 1000m from home. Yes, the food suppliers for the Gill stable will be doing well, farriers, harness sellers and repairers... poorly trained horses like the Gills eat as much as an All Stars horse. But that is where it ends... I doubt any horse in the Gill stables pays its way therefore they are a liability and do nothing to enhance harness racing. None of the present team of Gill horses would get a start on a premier day like Cup Day so your point is in invalid. To the Gills harness racing is a hobby and that is Ok but don't try and tell me they contribute something to harness racing because they don't. If they disappeared tomorrow no one would notice and no one would care.

What a tosser

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Andrew Neal and his wife, Lyn nee Bebbington (daughter of trainer Frank Bebbington) started out in the this region before relocating North.

Max Miller had two outstanding juvenile trotters many years ago, Black Miller and Hocquard. Black Miller was killed by lightning striking the jogging pole while he was being worked, while Hocquard ended up racing in top free-for-all events in the United States as a pacer.

Nobody knows where good, top and great horses are going to come from. They just arrive, which is what makes our sport and industry what it is. The journey from pauper to a king is always just one horse away. If you don't understand this, then find something else to do and just leave the rest of us alone. We don't need you and we don't want you.

Hope springs eternal. That sums up the human species in a nutshell.

All the best.

Ashoka

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 4

3 minutes ago, Ashoka said:

Andrew Neal and his wife, Lyn nee Bebbington (daughter of trainer Frank Bebbington) started out in the this region before relocating North.

Max Miller had two outstanding juvenile trotters many years ago, Black Miller and Hocquard. Black Miller was killed by lightning striking the jogging pole while he was being worked, while Hocquard ended up racing in top free-for-all events in the United States as a pacer.

Nobody knows where good, top and great horses are going to come from. They just arrive, which is what makes our sport and industry what it is. The journey from pauper to a king is always just one horse away. If you don't understand this, then find something else to do and just leave the rest of us alone. We don't need you and we don't want you.

Hope springs eternal. That sums up the human species in a nutshell.

All the best.

Ashoka

Please post your wisdom and knowledge more often, Ashoka.

It is great stuff.

• Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

You must have breached the arsehole defence system on boay!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm going to stick up for Oldwhiteman and say he has a point. A pedantic point, and a crudely-expressed one, but a point nevertheless (if one discards all the hyperbole). I'm sure even the Gills themselves would not claim they're as important to racing as "the big guns on cup day".

Employing the same degree of 'lateral thinking', I'm going to nominate LYELL CREEK as the best horse to come out of the Marlborough/Nelson/Westland region — on the grounds that he qualified at the South Bay racecourse! And yes, I know Kaikoura is politically part of Canterbury, but it has long been, and was at the time of LC's qualification, part of Marlborough for rugby purposes, which is obviously far more important. ?

If that doesn't get me a chocolate fish, then all I can say is that I also remember a couple of very good pacers in Bonnie Charlie and Lady Jess racing out of the Keith Powell stable.

Fair enough Basil, 

I suppose the way he said it upset a few, including myself. So many small stables/ hobby trainers around the country, battle around with their horses, most are never going to be much, but they all have one thing in common. 

They love their horses, maybe not the harness game at the moment, but love the horses. Getting up in cold mornings, to feed and work a horse that’s never paid a div, knowing that when they finally finish with the horse, it will end up in the next paddock with 20 others, eating carrots. 

Compare that to leading stables, these are mainly the ones in the headlines, sometimes for all the wrong reasons, horse not competitor, will be shipped on quickly, who knows where. 

So many country tracks would close with small trainers, and I love country racing. One reason I like to see level playing field, which it never will. 

So good luck to all you battlers at Blenheim today ?

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OLDWHITEMAN said:

Well they do get out of bed in the morning to feed and train their horses.  They provide a product for those who get out of bed several hours later to bet on.  I hope harness racing continues to be a sport where anyone can participate.  In one way it is better than gallops as you can do it all yourself and not have to rely on others to work your horses.

• Like 3

You have all forgotten  the best horse from the coast, Durban chief, 3 dominion handicaps, 16 wins I think in nz, and another  32 in America, first nz horse to win first up over there, was bred by the Craddocks and flew to America with a galloper call up n coming, who done his prunes on the flight and they had to have a emergency  stop in Hawaii,  not many win 3 dominions, what a top horse he was, and you won't  see another  of his caliber from over there. A forgotten  legend. Anyone  remember him.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Diceman's Been said:

The bloody cheek of them...…...buggers won the second race, at juicy odds too...….next thing he will want to start at Addington.

Get back in your box you egotistical local trainer. 

How many in that All Blacks team were born in the city?

Fark all, that's how many.

And the third.