Bit Of A Yarn

Well, well, well... who would have thought this would happen. 

Senior Crime Reporter, Sam Sherwood, for the taxpayer-funded Stuff has another harness hit piece. This time about the scratching of Johnny Nevits, previously trained by arch-villain J. Alford. Mr Sherwood has also bought up that stablemate Motor Mouth, formerly trained by Alford, is racing at Forbury tonight. What this has to do with yesterdays scratching I don't know.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/124608977/horse-at-centre-of-previous-doping-allegations-scratched-from-harness-race-after-failing-vet-test

Horse at centre of previous doping allegations scratched from harness race after failing vet test

09:09, Mar 22 2021Fac
Jesse Alford was suspended last month after Racing Integrity Unit investigators caught him administering a substance to two horses. (File photo)
ALDEN WILLIAMS/STUFF
Jesse Alford was suspended last month after Racing Integrity Unit investigators caught him administering a substance to two horses. (File photo)

A horse allegedly doped by a harness racing trainer was scratched from its first race since the scandal broke after failing a veterinary test.

Its new trainer is also facing a charge of attempting to start an unsound horse.

Five-year-old gelding Johnny Nevits was allegedly injected and tubed only three weeks ago by Canterbury trainer Jesse Alford.

The horse was then transferred to the Woodend training facility of trainer Cam Jones after Harness New Zealand suspended Alford’s licence.

Johnny Nevits was due to run in race three at the Banks Peninsula Trotting Club meet at Motukarara on Sunday,

A stewards report by the Racing Integrity Unit said Jones was spoken to prior to the race on the advice on the on-course veterinarian stewards regarding their intention to scratch the gelding after an examination found soreness in one of its legs.

Jones tried to dispute the decision to scratch the horse, and after hearing evidence from Jones, the stewards and the veterinarian, the Judicial Control Authority declared Nevits a late scratching.

A veterinary clearance is required prior to the gelding resuming racing.

Jones defended a charge that he attempted to start an unsound horse, with the incident adjourned to a later date.

Alford has been charged with administering a prohibited substance and attempting to administer a prohibited substance on race day.

Racing Integrity Unit investigators raided his stables at Woodend Beach in February, finding syringes and other equipment used for tubing horses, an illegal process that allows a chemical solution to be administered to improve a horse's stamina.

It is understood Alford was seen injecting a substance into Johnny Nevits and also inserting a tube into its nose.

Alford will be dealt with at a Judicial Control Authority hearing at a date yet to be set.

Jones, who did not respond to earlier calls from Stuff, has had a stellar start to his training career. In 21 starts he has posted five wins, four second places and two thirds.

Motor Mouth, another horse involved in the incident at Alford’s stables and which is now also trained by Jones, is racing at Forbury Park in Dunedin on Monday.

The gelding, which will be driven by Sheree Tomlinson, is entered in the Living Corporation Ltd Mobile Pacer, a race for pacers three years and older which have never won a race. Prize money of $7000 is on offer.

Racing Integrity Unit general manager Mike Godber earlier said the horses were entitled to start in the races as they had met pre-race conditions.

The normal testing regime would apply to the races, he said.

Hardly putting the boot in IMHO as the industry participants keep giving them ammo. 

Worse still is all and sundry on here who are bemoaning the negative coverage of Harness are simply giving them free publicity. Not a smart strategy in the long run.

Edited by JJ Flash
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Hardly putting the boot in IMHO as the industry participants keep giving them ammo. I cant see where the article was not factual.

Really?  Although we can't expect anything better from you Flash but where has it been publicly notified by the RIU or HRNZ that Jones has been charged?

45 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Its new trainer is also facing a charge of attempting to start an unsound horse.

Are the RIU feeding the Press this information BEFORE making it public?

There is nothing in the Stewards report saying Jones has been charged.  If he hasn't been charged and I was Jones I'd be seeking a full public retraction otherwise I'd sue the shyte journalist.

JOHNNY NEVITS - acting on the advice of the on-course Veterinarian Stewards spoke with trainer C Jones regarding their intention to scratch the gelding due to soreness in the off front leg after examination. Mr Jones subsequently filed a Request for a Ruling disputing the Stewards decision, and after consideration of the evidence from the Stewards, Mr Jones and the on-course Veterinarian Ms Williamson, the JCA declared JOHNNY NEVITS to be a late scratching at 12.45 pm. A veterinary clearance is required prior to the gelding resuming. Trainer C Jones defended a charge under Rule 863 that he attempted to start an unsound horse in a race with the matter being adjourned to a later date.

CORRECTION:  I got this wrong.  But all the same something doesn't seem right about this.  That said I'd still be challenging the Journalist over the article.  Why associate Jones and this charge with all the other crap?  There is ZERO balance in this article.  Godber hasn't explained the situation and no comment from Woodham!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

OK my bad missed that.

In saying that how many charges have been laid under Rule 863?

I can only find two so far searching the JCA database.  Low level fines.

There were some charges under Rule 305.  Three cases resulting in low level fines.

But very rare.  How would you prove that Jones knew the horse was lame?  Or that it didn't happen after the horse arrived on course?

When was the horse inspected?  In the stables, birdcage or on the track?  If in the stables why was the horse pre-selected for inspection?

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, JJ Flash said:

Hardly putting the boot in IMHO as the industry participants keep giving them ammo. 

Worse still is all and sundry on here who are bemoaning the negative coverage of Harness are simply giving them free publicity. Not a smart strategy in the long run.

I agree Mr Flash. If the industry doesn't want the bad publicity, then stop providing endless choice ammo.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

32 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I agree Mr Flash. If the industry doesn't want the bad publicity, then stop providing endless choice ammo.

How was the late scratching of Jonny Nevits "ammo"?

At the end of the day based on past cases Jones will get a $400 fine at most.  Of course that's if they can find evidence that Jones knew the horse was lame before getting to the track.

Perhaps they don't want Jonny Nevits to come out and win in light of the outstanding case.

As for providing "ammo" as far as The Press goes I'd say if a horse sneezed out of turn you would hear about it.  Along with another complete rehash of the last three years!

I always thought "News" was as per its implicit definition - it is of interest because it is new and current.  Repeating old news is nothing more than publishing propaganda in the pursuit of an agenda.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Is there something in the water out at Woodend? There seems to be a few trainers out there that are not too bright. Mr Jones must have known that his horse would be under extra scrutiny due to the bad publicity. Perhaps he didn't know it was unsound; it could have happened on the float or during warm-up... the track is rough enough for that to happen? Some of those idiots out there need to pull their heads in and clean up their acts. Bloody idiots!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I always thought "News" was as per its implicit definition - it is of interest because it is new and current.  Repeating old news is nothing more than publishing propaganda in the pursuit of an agenda.

Be interested to know what you think of the editorial/journalistic ability of Stuff and its contributors

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Davis, why is this a bad post?? Thats what you rated it above yet you liked Ludwig's post which agreed with mine

5 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

Was inspected in the stabling area prior to the first race

Yet not scratched until 12:45pm?  I assume because Jones appealed against the horse being scratched and that appeal had to be heard.

Was Jones charged before or after he appealed?

Why was the horse selected for inspection?  Was a drone used?

How many other horses were inspected prior to the first race?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Yet not scratched until 12:45pm?  I assume because Jones appealed against the horse being scratched and that appeal had to be heard.

Was Jones charged before or after he appealed?

Why was the horse selected for inspection?  Was a drone used?

How many other horses were inspected prior to the first race?

No idea - just saw the horse being exercised for the vet not long after it arrived on course.

Edited by Taku Umanga
  • Like 4