Bit Of A Yarn

4 y-o classics Taylor Mile/ Messenger

Karrots

47 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Will Copy That taste his 1st, Group 1 win glory tonight? 

Will he just bully his way to the lead, or will someone park him?

Or will he just be too good regardless and it be a case of

Copy That Season 8 GIF by The Office

I'm not sure if he will win but him and Amazing Dream are far better than the rest of the field. I think Amazing Dream would be the tougher horse so making the race into a stayer's test would be her best hope of winning?

Personally, I'm more interested in R2 and if Queen of Strathfield (15 starts, 9 placings) can finally win a race. 

Good luck punting everybody. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Well it looks like a bit of a mud bath. Will this shake up the results of the Group racing tonight?

The passing lane looks more like the slush lane, not ideal. 

Festival Mud GIF by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk

It's a shame about the rain. The track condition is slushy and passing lane would be very wet, no one has used it in the first three races. Monkey Selfie, a nice-looking horse, bolted in just now, leading all the way. In front is the place to be.

• Like 1

Copy That gets his Group 1 glory in the mud 👍😄 

Boy Bad to the Bone was there to win, not muck around & boy did he push him. Who saw that coming? Not me. Well done tho 👍 Made the race exciting 😁

Nice 3rd too for Steel the Show 😁

200.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Karrots said:

Copy That gets his Group 1 glory in the mud 👍😄

A great nights racing , even with the wet. Geez it must be hard to see where you're going with all that white-wash spraying up. 

Sundee's Son wrapped up the Trotters title with a big win. He didn't mind the wet, one wee bit.

True Fantasy was terrific for the Group 1 young Fillies race. What good is a Group 1 night without Mark winning one.? the bloke is Superman in disguise.

The Green family sponsered Race 8 , and then Won it with their filly The Honey Queen. (used the sprint slush lane too !!! lol..) John and Trish raced 'The Agent Orange' too, so wonder if The Honey Queen will go to that level.?

• Like 3

Wet track made no difference to horses - times run show you that (1 NZ Record)     Alex Park surface always fast when wet - don't believe conditions as stated by the stipes.    Perhaps best description was "Slushy but fast"        The good drivers are aware of this and adjust accordingly.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eljay said:

Wet track made no difference to horses - times run show you that (1 NZ Record)     Alex Park surface always fast when wet - don't believe conditions as stated by the stipes.    Perhaps best description was "Slushy but fast"        The good drivers are aware of this and adjust accordingly.     

That is good info to know - slushy but fast.

In Stripes report a driver reported that "racing into the first bend vision their had become heavily impaired".

That would of been challenging for sure for all drivers. So they all did well considering these slushy but fast conditions. 

How good is the 5 Wise Men, might have to start following that horsey 😃

• Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 12:13 PM, Roman said:

Spirit of St Louis is off to Aus

On the money here Roman,

Spirit is now showing as being exported, yet is still ranked for Jewels dropped from 6th to 8th spot for TAB futures winner with only 6 weeks to go. Prior his export status he was ranked 111 on actual Jewels rank- not sure how TAB think he will get the qualifying stake money being in Oz now & all to make a stage producing feature. They have Steel the Show ranked behind him at 9th after a nice 3rd in Taylor Mile.

Still puzzled by this Spirit pre-ranking TAB thing.

say what chris rock GIF

Edited by Karrots
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karrots said:

On the money here Roman,

Spirit is now showing as being exported, yet is still ranked for Jewels dropped from 6th to 8th spot for TAB futures winner with only 6 weeks to go. Prior his export status he was ranked 111 on actual Jewels rank- not sure how TAB think he will get the qualifying stake money being in Oz now & all to make a stage producing feature. They have Steel the Show ranked behind him at 9th after a nice 3rd in Taylor Mile.

Still puzzled by this Spirit pre-ranking TAB thing.

say what chris rock GIF

Just to let ya know I wake up and piss excellence, just one of those things 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Roman said:

Just to let ya know I wake up and piss excellence, just one of those things 

Oh goodie, well make sure you line your piss excellence up in for the Jewels comp $10 donations are still being accepted hehe - you will be a shoo in 😉😄

Draws out, looks like it could be a repeat with Copy That lead, Steel the Show trail, but who will it be that comes for a look this time to test the likely favourite, Amazing Dream? And what will be the final result?

Good to read the track is getting re-surfaced before Fridays meeting after the unfortunate mud fast slushy track.

16 hours ago, Karrots said:

Draws out, looks like it could be a repeat with Copy That lead, Steel the Show trail, but who will it be that comes for a look this time to test the likely favourite, Amazing Dream? And what will be the final result?

Good to read the track is getting re-surfaced before Fridays meeting after the unfortunate mud fast slushy track.

I think even the Brodster would be backing Steel the Show a place at $3.8, that's good value 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Roman said:

I think even the Brodster would be backing Steel the Show a place at $3.8, that's good value 

Good spotting there R. 

Heres the latest article from Lincoln Farms how they feel CT will go. A little bit more hesitant after such a close finish to be so confident. Read in the article prior this latest 1 that McKendry thought he was going to get rolled by either B to the B or Steel the Show. But Copy That hung on. So based on that the camp isn't as confident going into this Fri as they were going in last Fri. But I get it because that is exactly how I feel too. But of course from draw etc the one to beat but until you cross the line 1st, you just never know.

Hopefully another good race for us to watch, we are spoilt by all this great racing lately 😄 

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/copy-thats-great-constitution-sees-him-odds-on-to-complete-group-one-double-on-friday/

On 4/27/2021 at 3:49 PM, Karrots said:

The NZ Messenger ! What a race it is. Was always at Christmas in my Day during the holidays. Here are all the one's I was at and enjoyed. 

What a great list of Fine winning Horseman too !!  7 horses from the South Island too ?  wow wee

1985 December Placid Victor Mrs L G Wilson Maurice McKendry 3:23.2
1984 December Roydon Glen R A McKenzie W F Fletcher 3:25.4
1983 December Nostradamus W J Francis & P I Renwick P N Jones 3:32.4
1982 December Hilarious Guest M G Vermeulen Peter Wolfenden 3:26.2
1981 December Melton Monarch J S Dalgety B Purdon 3:26.5
1980 December John Tudor H T & A P Dodds & B C Newton T H Knowles 3:29.3
1979 December Tempest Tiger P K Ryder J W Smolenski 3:27.9
1978 March Sapling G C Cruickshank & R Given H W Skinner 3:26.4
1978 December Locarno B J & E J Francis R D Butt

Here's a quick quiz Karrots. Which one of these fine horses not only conquered the NZ Messenger,

but went on to grab a Miracle Mile Win over Australian champions Pure Steel, Koala King and Paleface Adios??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Drew outside barrier # 6.

Last at the bell.

Still last approaching final bend,

Also zoomed past Kiwi Star Lord Module.

Non other than Locarno.😁

With the NZ Messenger on this Friday, a chance to remember a great . The mighty Locarno. !!!

Here he is winning the Messenger on very first time I went to Alexandra Park Christmas 1978. Had a win on him too , as was a beautiful standout horse. A bit like Gammalite !! lol....

BTW Koala King did manage redemption for Aussie !! soon after the Locarno Miracle Mile , winning the 1980 Interdominon Final at Harold Park (his home track) . Locarno a Fine Second. 

DSC02139.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Here's a quick quiz Karrots. Which one of these fine horses not only conquered the NZ Messenger,

but went on to grab a Miracle Mile Win over Australian champions Pure Steel, Koala King and Paleface Adios??

Gee Taupiri is on fire, far too quick for me. Here is 1 fired back at ya.

Which driver had the drive on Copy That as a 2 & 3 y-o to steer him to multiple wins during that time, but come the sires stakes series chose to jump off him to take the drive on Bad to the Bone? Remember being surprised by the decision at the time and thinking that wasn't what I would of chosen but everyones different. Well now maybe that ability that one saw at that time on Bad To the Bone is now showing.

On another note, spy that in your above post paper clipping the stake was $20K. Looks like 1978, don't want to get involved in that stake debate as don't have enough knowledge to comment. But whats been presented here is fast forward to 2021 and its being run for $95k. So the higher end races based on that has gone up. But the jury is still out with the lower end. 

On 4/29/2021 at 7:45 AM, Karrots said:

Which driver had the drive on Copy That as a 2 & 3 y-o to steer him to multiple wins during that time, but come the sires stakes series chose to jump off him to take the drive on Bad to the Bone? Remember being surprised by the decision at the time and thinking that wasn't what I would of chosen but everyones different. Well now maybe that ability that one saw at that time on Bad To the Bone is now showing.

Congrats to Copy That and connections.

Another eye catching run by Bad to the Bone, as posted above

"Well now maybe that ability that one saw at that time on Bad To the Bone is now showing".

The plot thickens & should be a good show down between, Copy That, Bad to the Bone & Pembrook Playboy come Jewels. Draws will be crucial, could see any of these 3 winning at Cambridge over the mile, whoever gets the best draw to lead. 

• Like 2

https://www.lincolnfarms.co.nz/stories/purdon-rates-copy-that-something-special-after-he-thrashes-messenger-rivals/

Thought I'd share this article as its quite a nice one & some might not read the site. Purdon goes & congratulates Green after Messenger win & says to Green this could be the BEST horse in the country. Something special and good for the game to have 👍

Happy Acid House GIF by Asher reesha

• Like 1