Bit Of A Yarn

Why on Earth? Bourbon On the Rocks-Unruly?

A horse that has a bit of ability, that just needs a change of training scenery is Bourbon On The Rocks!

It has now had 16 starts and run only one dividend bearing placing but plenty of 4ths and closeups!

The question has to be asked is why the hell is this horse always giving others starts by always being on the UNRULY????

The horse never gallops at the start or during the running - just crazy!

Trainer needs to get the horse off the unruly and put someone else on it, and it will win a maiden trot no problem!!!!!

• Champ Post 1

Who knows,maybe he thinks it will break if it gets amongst them early. But your right,for it to be competitive it needs off the ur. One thing i've noticed is horses who consistently start off the ur seem to bottom out and just don't go on with the promise they show early.I guess they just strain themselves a bit more giving them a start each time,and psychologically i think it takes its toll on them. Trotters aren't as badly effected as the pacers are that way. Theres also  many trotters off the ur in those lower grade trots in canterbury,and really the only advantage you get if you have a horse that needs space early is if you draw the outside of the ur.

• Like 1

The thing is though that the horse never looks like galloping!

He manoeuvres it between galloping horses easily!

John Versteeg has been training for a long time  and who am I to tell him what to do with his horse?

However, you watch it win as soon as it is off the unruly or someone else jumps in the cart, which both seem unlikely!

2 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Needs juice to win, get it to another trainer .

Just a plodder for mine

It's a one-paced type of horse but Brodie is right it can win a couple. It needs to be off the UR to do that though because it would need an economical trip in trail or 3 back fence to win a race. From unruly it is never likely to get the right run?

Edited by Davis
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, paleface adios said:

what stable should it be in newmarket?

Give it to Dunn's or Hope's or Andy Gath for a trotting win.

Dunn's winning heaps with Sundee and Highgrove. The Hope's stable having Quinellaed the FFA last week at Addington. top notch stuff.

How about the Gath's in Victoria?

Tomorrow night at Melton JUSTAMOLLYARCHER having not run a place in 20 starts in NZ past year , has WON 4 on the bounce!! in Victoria past 2 months for Kate Gath     (plus a Group 3 3rd in SA Cup) 

So there's a great 5-1 bet for you blokes tomorrow Race 2 Melton drawn 3. !!

anything for me at Addington??  No ? too hard to pick ? would be without Nat . check Auckland out instead.

14 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

anything for me at Addington??  No ? too hard to pick ? would be without Nat . check Auckland out instead.

Now that is Un-Fair comment by Gammalite. I checked out Ellerslie Fields and that is an IMPOSSIBLE MISSION to get anything out of that at all lol......

Makes Addington look a Punter's Paradise , and sincerely wish All those having an investment , A WINNER !!! 

We have multi $mill races tomorrow at Eagle Farm, so will be heading along to see some of the greats of racing and the Queensland Derby . LET'S KARAKA DEEL , now That is a great kiwi name in the Derby !! I'll take him for sure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Give it to Dunn's or Hope's or Andy Gath for a trotting win.

Dunn's winning heaps with Sundee and Highgrove. The Hope's stable having Quinellaed the FFA last week at Addington. top notch stuff.

How about the Gath's in Victoria?

Tomorrow night at Melton JUSTAMOLLYARCHER having not run a place in 20 starts in NZ past year , has WON 4 on the bounce!! in Victoria past 2 months for Kate Gath     (plus a Group 3 3rd in SA Cup) 

So there's a great 5-1 bet for you blokes tomorrow Race 2 Melton drawn 3. !!

Margret lee stable 

On 5/27/2021 at 8:11 PM, Brodie said:

Trainer needs to get the horse off the unruly and put someone else on it, and it will win a maiden trot no problem!!!!!

On the money again Brodie young fella LOL 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JAKH said:

well done to verstegg. He rated it well.Having only 7 others in the field meant the ur wasn't much of a factor.

It helped when jessica young on moment of kaos failed to give her horse much chance(again),by giving the winner a 7 length start at the 400m. But Verstegg deserved the win more on the night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAKH said:

Exactly, I said that it had a slight bit of ability.

the start helped and yes it wouldve won without being off the unruly!!

Why it was is questionable as it never gallops????

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

Exactly, I said that it had a slight bit of ability.

the start helped and yes it wouldve won without being off the unruly!!

Why it was is questionable as it never gallops????

No no you are not reading your statement young Brodie. You stated that two things had to happen to get that win, No 1 Get off unruly, No 2 Change of driver. You are still trying to be like a politician and never wrong. 

1 hour ago, JAKH said:

No no you are not reading your statement young Brodie. You stated that two things had to happen to get that win, No 1 Get off unruly, No 2 Change of driver. You are still trying to be like a politician and never wrong. 

You may well be right JAKH re the politician.

To be fair though, the way the start was, the unruly wasnt your normal start with such a small  field and a bunch of nillers.

Being in front in that field with a horse with slightly more ability than most of the others, you wouldve won on it!!!!!

The fact is that the horse shouldve been off the front and not unruly as it never gallops whether it be the start or during the race, so yes “The Brodster on the money” as per normally normal JAKH!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

To be fair though, the way the start was, the unruly wasnt your normal start with such a small  field and a bunch of nillers.

Being in front in that field with a horse with slightly more ability than most of the others, you wouldve won on it!!!!!

The fact is that the horse shouldve been off the front and not unruly as it never gallops whether it be the start or during the race, so yes “The Brodster on the money” as per normally normal JAKH!

You must live out near Lake Ellesmere you are like a slippery eel !!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Well called mate. I took your advice on board and backed it. Thank you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eljay said:

Stand - off the tape usually have to stop or hesitate when they walk up.    Off unruly usually dont have to slow so get a "flyer"

Many trainers & drivers adept at this tactic.      

After his win June 3rd Stewards report reads 'cleared from the unruly for future standing starts'...... and last night fractious before the start and you could see he was uncomfortable standing still so WHO asked to be removed from the unruly????

Surely John wouldn't after a win and him knowing the horse, most stewards reports I read state trainer requests to move horse to the unruly or after multiple breaks the stewards move the horse so which is it in this case? 

The trainer would have to request it i would imagine. Certainly seemed to handle it ok,albeit a little slow. Would have ended up further back if on the ur.Only issue may come in a full field where there is not as much room.

One thing that is obvious when you watch standing starts. Horses who are close to the tape always have a better chance of beginning. And the reverse. If you have a horse standing a half length or more behind the others,4 times out of 5 they will be disadvantaged.It really comes down to the drivers ability to get them properly positioned at the start.

• Like 2