Bit Of A Yarn

Slow Sectionals- Should they be fined????

1 hour ago, Nina Hope said:

Brodie I'm not defending Ben. He can do that himself and he has copped more than his fair share on this site and he has handled it bloody well.

I however have not........ it is bloody tough to read some of the crap that gets thrown at him. Im holding back the tears at the keyboard now after reading some of the comments of Forbury and Retarded Driver.

Nina, we should always defend our kids, it is  what life is about!

Not sure why someone wants to nail Ben and I am sure he just takes it on the chin.

He has always been very good in front of the camera and expressed his opinion on horses.

It is very easy to drive from the grandstand or from the lounge suite.

Sometimes youthful exhuberance may come into play with Ben as he is obviously competitive and has driven a lot of races against the senior drivers rather than just the Junior races!

Never let keyboard warriors get to you and always be very proud of your son who is  out on the track each and every week competing successfully in a very hard  industry.

Harness Racing is battling at the moment and we need hard working enthusiastic participants to keep the industry going!

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 minute ago, the galah said:

Well if you didn't notice the barnes team driving at albion park,then you can't have seen the race.As for man of action today. That fella was so desperate not to run anywhere even blind freddy couldn't miss it.Just watch his drive over the last round. I'm guessing he knows someone that has a betfair account.No other way to explain it. 

I don't think I've ever watched a marburg race. Class is that low , it's just unbearable. Just watching Olympics and the BRISBANE LIONS lose just now !!!  noooooooo. 

I only watch and Bet on GOOD WINNING horses. e.g Amazing Dream, Pink Galahs, etc (so No Addington today lol)

8 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

I don't think I've ever watched a marburg race. Class is that low , it's just unbearable. Just watching Olympics and the BRISBANE LIONS lose just now !!!  noooooooo. 

I only watch and Bet on GOOD WINNING horses. e.g Amazing Dream, Pink Galahs, etc (so No Addington today lol)

I cancelled my sky olympic package when i saw the nz women soccer team take a knee in their first game,and the head of the nz team come and and say it was a good thing,which he fully supported. Can't be bothered when sport becomes about politics.I just tune out. I have watched a lot on our main tv channel,but get put off with their obsession with speaking maori. Its like watching the news,which i no longer watch because of that.I don't  think the coverage has been very good anyway on the mainstream tv we have.

As for marburg,you don't have to be a fan of marburg racing,but that doesn't mean you can't spot a dishonest drive by watching the video.And no i didn't have a bet on it. I knew to avoid races where the barnes have the better horse.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, the galah said:

I cancelled my sky olympic package when i saw the nz women soccer team take a knee in their first game,and the head of the nz team come and and say it was a good thing,which he fully supported. Can't be bothered when sport becomes about politics.I just tune out. I have watched a lot on our main tv channel,but get put off with their obsession with speaking maori. Its like watching the news,which i no longer watch because of that.I don't  think the coverage has been very good anyway on the mainstream tv we have.

Aus have 2 channel 7 stations running Olympics all the time, and coverage is fantastic. Lucky to have many events that Aus is in. Rugby girls for NZ brilliant. ! An Aus 100m runner going tonight in semi-final against the fastest men on the planet to get in the biggest race there is 'The Olympic 100m Final"    Without BOLT since 2004 too , lol. Hope he (Browning)  makes the final.! 

I'm seriously considering writing and lobbying for horse racing at the 2032 Olympics as the new Olympic sport. Horse and harness racing popular around the world. going back to BC even with pharoahs and Romans with Chariots. Would be a wonderful event . Sweden, France, USA, and Canada love their trotter like us.

And i'm sick of prancing dressage horses , showy jumping, and eventing cross country . Time for a Change !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Aus have 2 channel 7 stations running Olympics all the time, and coverage is fantastic. Lucky to have many events that Aus is in. Rugby girls for NZ brilliant. ! An Aus 100m runner going tonight in semi-final against the fastest men on the planet to get in the biggest race there is 'The Olympic 100m Final"    Without BOLT since 2004 too , lol. Hope he (Browning)  makes the final.! 

I'm seriously considering writing and lobbying for horse racing at the 2032 Olympics as the new Olympic sport. Horse and harness racing popular around the world. going back to BC even with pharoahs and Romans with Chariots. Would be a wonderful event . Sweden, France, USA, and Canada love their trotter like us.

And i'm sick of prancing dressage horses , showy jumping, and eventing cross country . Time for a Change !!!!

Don't you love the Jamaican girls colored hair to go with their flag.Wonder if they can get the trifecta in the 200m. Personally i also like seeing a lot of the sports that don't normally get much coverage.Things like the rugby 7's personally doesn't excite me. I would rather watch diving, gymnastics,track and field and the like. I do think its was a  sign of the times when the sports commentators were falling over themselves to compliment simone biles on her "wonderful choice" to make the decision and withdraw from the gymnastics. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the galah said:

I would rather watch diving, gymnastics,track and field and the like.  

I quite like the archery. 

Hoping I haven't missed the sack races, the egg and spoon and three legged races.

Loved the Working Men's Club Picnics and all that FREE Ballins fizzy.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, the galah said:

As for marburg,you don't have to be a fan of marburg racing,but that doesn't mean you can't spot a dishonest drive by watching the video.And no i didn't have a bet on it. I knew to avoid races where the barnes have the better horse.

You are correct Galah, the taking of the knee is just blatant BS and so wrong!,

The Maori language and pandering by the left is puke material but is tife throughout the world unfortunately?

They sill never ever get “The Brodster”!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brodie said:

You are correct Galah, the taking of the knee is just blatant BS and so wrong!,

The Maori language and pandering by the left is puke material but is tife throughout the world unfortunately?

They sill never ever get “The Brodster”!

I see the media is falling over themselves looking for new superlatives to describe the decision of the two high jumpers to share the gold medal and not complete the competition because they didn't want to only have 1 winner.

Its just another example of virtual signalling being rammed down peoples throats by the media who think attitudes need changed,and they are the moral superiors who somehow can the lead way.. 

Would all those in the media say the same if the top 2 soccer teams opt not have a penalty shootout if the scores are tied after extra time in the olympic final,or the mens 7's pulled the pin at half time in the final if the scores were tied,or the next cricket world cup and so on.

Because if its so wonderful,amazing,heart warming as i heard from the media today,then surely they want more of it and that is what they should be calling for. 

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

28 minutes ago, the galah said:

Would all those in the media say the same if the top 2 soccer teams opt not have a penalty shootout if the scores are tied after extra time in the olympic final,or the mens 7's pulled the pin at half time in the final if the scores were tied,or the next cricket world cup

Man , you guys in NZ were Totally ripped Off in the last Cricket World Cup in 2019 .

Scores were tied after the 50 overs were bowled, at 241 runs each.

A 'Super-over' each , as a Tie-Breaker, resulted in 15 runs each being scored. so the tie wasn't broken.

England declared the winner still?????? 

How in the World is that NOT A DRAW.?  and both Teams crowned Joint World Champions ?  bloody cheating Poms.

Event 2019 Cricket World Cup
New Zealand England
New Zealand England
241/8 241
50 overs 50 overs
Super Over: England 15/0, New Zealand 15/1
England won on boundary count
Date 14 July 2019
Venue Lord's, London
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, the galah said:

Well if you didn't notice the barnes team driving at albion park,then you can't have seen the race.As for man of action today. That fella was so desperate not to run anywhere even blind freddy couldn't miss it.Just watch his drive over the last round. I'm guessing he knows someone that has a betfair account.No other way to explain it. 

I was just looking up the record of this fella hayden barnes. I see hes been dealt with at least 4 times for not driving to give his horse every opportunity. They only seem to suspend him up to 6 weeks.The stipes didn't even give his drive yesterday a mention. No wonder he thinks he can get away with it.

One thing i did find was an article written by duane ranger on the 2 barnes brothers.I had wondered where duane ranger got to,seems he may be in queensland.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:08 PM, Nina Hope said:

Did you ever consider the trainers of RocknTommy Rulz know he is a sit sprinter, knew he was outclassed by a couple and decided best tactics would be to take the shortest way home or did that escape your thinking Galah??? Did you not think B Hope used his brains when he decided that Sarah moving out on the hot favourite 1000m out there was a chance being the amazingly awesome aggressive wee driver that she is may have sped straight to the lead which would of left him parked?? Did you not think he knew that he was following 2 nice horses more favoured on the tote???? Did it escape you that he ended up with the run behind the leader in the passing lane and he was beaten by three better horses?? There are many reasons drivers choose to drive a different race than you from the stand? Ben was driving to instructions so if you wish to accuse anyone of not using their brain in that race accuse me me Galah!!!!!

Hi there N Hope,

You were in my top Hotties list, haha. Compliment when 1 is due. (don't worry Im a female so not being weird).

Haven't read your post properly nor this whole thread as have to bounce out now. Good on you for coming on and offering your thoughts. 

Oh Gamms before I go again, how many hotties are there at the Olympics. So many, and how about our NZ boxer our flag bearer, D Nyika, what a hottie. Remember that from being - watching at Rio, so many hotties everywhere. 

The Office Reaction GIF

On 1/08/2021 at 5:46 PM, Nina Hope said:

Brodie I'm not defending Ben. He can do that himself and he has copped more than his fair share on this site and he has handled it bloody well.

I however have not........ it is bloody tough to read some of the crap that gets thrown at him. Im holding back the tears at the keyboard now after reading some of the comments of Forbury and Retarded Driver.

Hi Nina, 

I would not worry about Forbury or the aptly named Retarded Driver, they talk nonsense. Hold your head up high, you and Greg have done a good job bringing up Ben, he seems a nice young lad. 

As for the original post, I agree the lack of speed in many Addington races is terrible, so bad that I have stopped betting, will wait until the better races come along. 
Far more competitive racing at Auckland, that is where my money goes recently.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karrotsisback said:

Oh Gamms before I go again, how many hotties are there at the Olympics. So many, and how about our NZ boxer our flag bearer, D Nyika, what a hottie. Remember that from being - watching at Rio, so many hotties everywhere. 

Hope you didn't see the NZ weight lifter Hubbard. She isn't going on the Hot list !!! hehehehe

54 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

, I agree the lack of speed in many Addington races is terrible, so bad that I have stopped betting,

Try Menangle NSW then for a bet. They just let em' roll , and they all get a chance if good enough . Spirit of Anzac was enormous today first up in Oz. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a day when there was some competitive racing,the kurow cup turned out to be a non event,and they ran one of the slowest first mile seen in a race this season.No one wanted to go anywhere near blair orange in front.They go faster at the workouts.For some reason that seems to happen a bit at oamaru in their feature races.

The non win trot went just as fast as the cup,and the other pacing races,including the non win pacers and  the trotters races ran considerably faster.

• Like 4

On 8/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Gammalite said:

Hope you didn't see the NZ weight lifter Hubbard. She isn't going on the Hot list !!! hehehehe

Hehe, no Gamms not our hot list, but I am in the thought of let people be who they want to be, it doesn’t effect me their decision.

Hey was that olympic cyclist that tragically passed recently, at the Jewels in the Sports Bar? One of my mates I was there with was sure that she was, otherwise someone that looked exactly like her & was going to go chat with her, however we bounced off to another area so didn’t get the chance. So sad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karrotsisback said:

olympic cyclist that tragically passed recently

gee Karrots , that's a sad story with the cyclist you mentioned.

think the young lady must of been depressed from not making the Olympic team this year. sport at the top level contains massive disappointments at times. Such a tough thing , with the hours of training , and you can't obtain the level you once had , or want to achieve.

You can only hope the athletes enjoy what they do , as well as make money from it , at times. my daughter is 24 so felt particularly sad for this family of Olivia's too.

Harness racing is generally fun for the participants , afterall the horses do the bulk of the running, Cycling is a very hard and gruelling training/ draining lifestyle to compete at International level.

Here's the paste news on The young cyclist .........................

Olympic cyclist Olivia Podmore has died aged 24.

The New Zealand cycling community has been shocked by her sudden death on Monday, confirmed by her family in social media posts.

Mitchell Podmore, brother of Olivia, posted on Facebook: “Rest in peace to my gorgeous sister and loved daughter of Phil Podmore. You will be in our hearts forever.”

Podmore, from Canterbury, represented New Zealand at the 2016 Rio Olympics in the women’s team sprint event and rode at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships that year.

Podmore won silver in the team sprint and bronze in the time trial at the Junior World Champs in Astana in 2015.

Natasha Hansen, left, and Olivia Podmore of New Zealand celebrate with their gold medals following the Womens Team Sprint at 2019 world championships.

Natasha Hansen, left, and Olivia Podmore of New Zealand celebrate with their gold medals following the Womens Team Sprint at 2019 world championships.Source:Getty Images

She was also the 2017 national keirin champion.

In an Instagram post earlier on Monday — since removed — Podmore outlined the pressures of competing at the highest level.

“Sport is an amazing outlet for so many people, it’s a struggle, it’s a fight but it’s so joyous,” she wrote.

“The feeling when you win is unlike any other, but the feeling when you lose, when you don’t get selected even when you qualify, when your injured, when you don’t meet society’s expectations such a owning a house, marriage, kids all because [you’re] trying to give everything to your sport is also unlike any other.”

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gammalite said:

gee Karrots , that's a sad story with the cyclist you mentioned.

think the young lady must of been depressed from not making the Olympic team this year. sport at the top level contains massive disappointments at times. Such a tough thing , with the hours of training , and you can't obtain the level you once had , or want to achieve.

Yes super sad, read she lived in Camb so it may have been her at Jewels. 

Same thing happened to a friends son, mentioned it on another thread, got selected for team, had both jabs, thought was going til approx 1-2 weeks before the rest of team went. That is what mum told me. Very heartbreaking for those individuals. Iv just said "so Paris 2024", to try and stay positive for him. 

Read an article on Aus site not long ago about a participate re mental health & how its affected him via training, how he used to judge his self worth from how many winners he got or not. He saw someone about this, I think from memory it said. Nowadays it doesn't effect him. 

Sorry folks we have switched away from topic. Its maybe not a bad topic thread we could start up Gamms ... re harness how it may or may not effect trainers/drivers ... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karrotsisback said:

. Its maybe not a bad topic thread we could start up Gamms ... re harness how it may or may not effect trainers/drivers ... 

The biggest disappointments for harness trainers and drivers are when the horse goes amiss. Is quite a normal event though , as they do have plenty of issues, just like human athletes at any level do as well . 

Sprains and strains send careers down the drains !!! 

In these tough times (and even over the years) harness racing trainers and drivers can just walk off and do something else, like farrier , stud-master, horse breaker , etc,etc as I have seen many do. one trainer even took the QLD handicapper job I applied for. those folk all make more money than the trainer / driver generally.

Bris drivers not too bad, with not much travel involved and about 20 drives each per week for the band of 20 regular race drivers. Would be hard to get a dollar race driving in NZ for sure and certain!! . Just not enough drives to go round to make a living?? (esp meaning the young generation)

• Like 3