Bit Of A Yarn

Darryn Simpson

Ludwig

• 2 weeks later...

I see Simpson just had a winner at Kurow and might grab another later in the day,always seems to have one that's capable of winning,another trainer I see going ok is Cam Jones,38 starts last season,ten wins, that's a good strike rate,just won I see with that horse,Tetrick,no form,yet goes out a warm favourite and wins.

i guess it's night quite as hard with lots of very small fields,just looked at results from addington Friday night,gee some very small fields,it can't be good for betting.,everything winning at Oamaru so far paying less than 3 bucks,if the big punters who like to stack on plenty are restricted that must be counter productive.

• Champ Post 1

4 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Would not be that hard to improve one from Snows barn. 

McLellan used to be a good trainer, going back a long time.

Most of the time now he doesn’t seem interested in winning.

Every one of his horses that comes up to Christchurch and trained by someone else performs far better than down south!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Brodie said:

McLellan used to be a good trainer, going back a long time.

Most of the time now he doesn’t seem interested in winning.

Every one of his horses that comes up to Christchurch and trained by someone else performs far better than down south!

And they show very significant improvement.Its a shame,because as you say brodie he used to have his share of success.

From watching his horses over the last few years its obvious his horses think they are at the races to just have some exercise,and on the very rare ocassion they will be asked to try.Its been one of those mysteries that is hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for.Its good to see another stable having a go with one of his horses and being successful.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

22 minutes ago, the galah said:

And they show very significant improvement.Its a shame,because as you say brodie he used to have his share of success.

From watching his horses over the last few years its obvious his horses think they are at the races to just have some exercise,and on the very rare ocassion they will be asked to try.Its been one of those mysteries that is hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for.Its good to see another stable having a go with one of his horses and being successful.

It costs a helluva lot of money nowadays to have a horse in training!

The surprising thing is the loyalty of many owners to continue to use the same trainer when their results are so poor!

There are so many trainers with a UDR under .1000 and yet owners continue to pay training bills?

Loyalty can be very costly!!!

• Champ Post 1

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

The surprising thing is the loyalty of many owners to continue to use the same trainer when their results are so poor!

There are so many trainers with a UDR under .1000 and yet owners continue to pay training bills?

Brodie,the restrictions placed on punters is only on fixed win and place am I correct,and the restrictions are to guarrantee the TAB not losing,what about sports betting.

It seems all betting sites restrict some,sometimes bet 365 are known as bet3.65 by some,I'm not up with all this,

38 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I guess its up to owners who they support. For some its as much about having a bit of fun,but of course there's not much fun in poor results.

But the thing is even the least successful are giving it their best shot.Its when you go out there with the intention of not trying your best that you get noticed. And when you do it on  a regular basis people can't help but distrust the intentions of the person concerned. Then you get a reputation,and when a horse you used  to train wins,you get negative comments .Thats just how it works.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

12 hours ago, mikeynz said:

Brodie,the restrictions placed on punters is only on fixed win and place am I correct,and the restrictions are to guarrantee the TAB not losing,what about sports betting.

It seems all betting sites restrict some,sometimes bet 365 are known as bet3.65 by some,I'm not up with all this,

Would say it is on all fixed odds bets!
Limits are very low for many and not worth the effort!

Yeah have been restricted in Oz including not allowed on at all!!

2 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

The RIU thought the same a few years back at Forbury one night and gave him a holiday

Yes he was charged and suspended a couple of times,but of course many believe they were the tip of the iceberg. The silly thing was he appeared to have no reason for not trying other than wanting  his horses to place,instead of winning.Back then the main southern stipe,(a nice fella but since moved on) actually had worked for mclellan and you had to wonder if that was a factor.Mclellan also had employed a junior driver at about that time who seemed to get away with much more than others. I guess its human nature not to want to hurt those you like,but the rules have to be consistently applied.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the galah said:

The silly thing was he appeared to have no reason for not trying other than wanting  his horses to place,instead of winning

I did have it suggested to me that he filled the float up as travel subsidies were paid by FPTC.?

The junior driver you refer to C Ferguson?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

I did have it suggested to me that he filled the float up as travel subsidies were paid by FPTC.?

The junior driver you refer to C Ferguson?

Yes c ferguson was the junior driver.When first starting out as a junior driver,he got multiple warnings while others would get charged with the same thing.For example i remember he got warned for the same thing 3 times in 5 weeks,and a final warning seemed to mean nothing.. In my opinion,the stipes had double standards at that time when it came to that stable.For e

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 15/08/2021 at 1:14 PM, mikeynz said:

another trainer I see going ok is Cam Jones,38 starts last season,ten wins, that's a good strike rate,just won I see with that horse,Tetrick,no form,yet goes out a warm favourite and wins.

Well the tetrick form didn't last long. A long last today.Its fruitless attack for the lead seemed to go on forever in todays race,but once the driver gave that strategy away it stopped a walk. I wonder whether it will race again from that stable?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, the galah said:

Well the tetrick form didn't last long. A long last today.Its fruitless attack for the lead seemed to go on forever in todays race,but once the driver gave that strategy away it stopped a walk. I wonder whether it will race again from that stable?

How does it go so poor then go so good , as in being the favourite and winning then revert to going so bad?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mikeynz said:

How does it go so poor then go so good , as in being the favourite and winning then revert to going so bad?

Well thats a good question. I think there was a definite drop off in performance,and combine that with a strange b williamson drive that always had tetrick driven outside its  comfort zone,then you have your answer.