Bit Of A Yarn

New Zealand Cup Field: Pre Nom Odds

Happy Sunrise

Is it just me or does that Cup field not excite in the same way it did in years gone by when your saw names like Lord Module, Hands Down, Bonnie's Chance, Armalite, Blossom Lady, Chokin, Yulestar, Terror To Love etc etc?  The good old days where the race was not just a benefit for one stable.

• Like 1

On 9/07/2018 at 6:42 AM, Gavin said:

Is it just me or does that Cup field not excite in the same way it did in years gone by when your saw names like Lord Module, Hands Down, Bonnie's Chance, Armalite, Blossom Lady, Chokin, Yulestar, Terror To Love etc etc?  The good old days where the race was not just a benefit for one stable.

Too true. 

On 9/07/2018 at 6:42 AM, Gavin said:

Can anyone tell me the last rivalry in harness racing? When two or three horses went at it to and fro in big races on a consistent basis?

Can anyone look at the list of horses nominated and name who are the open class warriors challenging to win the NZ Cup after going so close last year?

Is anyone excited by the fact one stable has 5 of the 7 horses at the top of the market?

Is anyone actually interested in the opening of a (tight) market because they are keen on a horse who looks they could sneak a NZ Cup over the favourites?

Is the TAB actually interested when they put a horse in the field who has supposedly been exported?

Does anybody know the individual characteristics and personality of the horses involved like a Hands Down?

I might be a bit harsh but I don't know, it doesn't excite me like it used to. Oddly I would look forward to the Dominion Handicap Trot more than the NZ Cup but that might be going too far.

Happy you are on the money, however we need to bring over The Orgasmic One from over the way.

He will paint another picture and put a bit of excitement into it.

Goooooooooo yeehhhhhhhhhhh booooooooy, go the mighty AllStars!

Keep that blooooooood transfusion or whatever it is for mainly therapeutic purposes solely going.

Yeah we can run the first five in the NZ CUP,  we are the most professional, stuff everyone else, doesn’t matter if we stuff the industry as long as we scoop most of stake money on Cup day, gooooooooo you  good thing!

Yee haa

Iraklis

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Can anyone tell me the last rivalry in harness racing? When two or three horses went at it to and fro in big races on a consistent basis.

Maybe gold sovereign and terror to love for a while??? But other than that, I can only go back to the 70s and 80s as Newmarket said hands down, Bonnie's chance, armalight, delightful lady.....some good 3yos +4yos mid 80s samson, loveridge, mastermood, nardinski.....your right about a lot of the excitement gone (unless your an owner) I hate knowing some big races are forgone conclusions!

2 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Happy you are on the money, however we need to bring over The Orgasmic One from over the way.

He will paint another picture and put a bit of excitement into it.

Goooooooooo yeehhhhhhhhhhh booooooooy, go the mighty AllStars!

Keep that blooooooood transfusion or whatever it is for mainly therapeutic purposes solely going.

Yeah we can run the first five in the NZ CUP,  we are the most professional, stuff everyone else, doesn’t matter if we stuff the industry as long as we scoop most of stake money on Cup day, gooooooooo you  good thing!

Yee haa

Iraklis

Didya didya see the rocks bbbbbrodie.....mmmm these mushrooms are tasty

• Champ Post 2

On 8/07/2018 at 9:05 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

What do you think?

Value? Lack of value? Quality of field? Needs Aussies? All-Stars benefit?

There are probably 5 or 6 who are not up to it but that leaves about 18 so with some Aussies it will be a full field.

image.png.99ef1611c7661a248c6ba918aae505b7.png

Another three horses added to the list today, and obviously someone  is betting already as some odds have altered.

3 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Didya didya see the rocks

However, an at his best Heaven Rocks V Lazarus on a consistent basis would be exciting. No doubt the horse flesh was there for a rivalry. Problem is with exported horses, Aussie racing, different programmes for different horses (not like the old days of Kurow Cup and the Flying Stakes!) it just never eventuates anymore.

The closest thing we could hope for in a rivalry is one between 2-year-olds that goes into the 3-year-old races. Problem is there always seems to be a dominant horse.

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

However, an at his best Heaven Rocks V Lazarus on a consistent basis would be exciting. No doubt the horse flesh was there for a rivalry. Problem is with exported horses, Aussie racing, different programmes for different horses (not like the old days of Kurow Cup and the Flying Stakes!) it just never eventuates anymore.

The closest thing we could hope for in a rivalry is one between 2-year-olds that goes into the 3-year-old races. Problem is there always seems to be a dominant horse.

And hard when top 3 in each age group generally from one barn, doesn't feel like a rivalry

• Like 1

Those betting into Chicago Bull are keen, even if he was 26s. Not sure 'very much on the agenda' is 70-30!

Chase Auckland no certainty? He is an awful bet at 6 50 with the information below

Because while trainer Mark Purdon has confirmed the superstar three-year-old will be nominated for the great race, he is anything but certain to start.

image.png.44fb738e03706b5258505638ce4b258d.png

As you know I wouldnt generally invest on the NZ Cup at all.

However, it is early July and approx 16 weeks out from the race,

Unless it was an Ozzie horse that you knew was definitely coming over which is also very risky 16 weeks out, would not be worth the effort, and it would have to be major overs.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Those betting into Chicago Bull are keen, even if he was 26s. Not sure 'very much on the agenda' is 70-30!

Chase Auckland no certainty? He is an awful bet at 6 50 with the information below

Because while trainer Mark Purdon has confirmed the superstar three-year-old will be nominated for the great race, he is anything but certain to start.

image.png.44fb738e03706b5258505638ce4b258d.png

I will probably have to eat my words, but I have never rated chase Auckland, I think his generation of 3yos were the worst for a long time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Chicago Bull's win price is suspended but the 6 50FF for a top 3 finish might be the much better bet in the long run if people are keen to bet on him.

I would have a bit of that happy...I got lambasted by that first class w..ker ftm for picking it to win the idoms at odds, while he bought some more ky jelly with the $1.31 he got offshore for Lazarus!!

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1