Bit Of A Yarn

New Zealand Cup Field: Pre Nom Odds

Happy Sunrise

On 10/07/2018 at 6:03 PM, Happy Sunrise said:

Can anyone tell me the last rivalry in harness racing? When two or three horses went at it to and fro in big races on a consistent basis?

Can anyone look at the list of horses nominated and name who are the open class warriors challenging to win the NZ Cup after going so close last year?

Is anyone excited by the fact one stable has 5 of the 7 horses at the top of the market?

Is anyone actually interested in the opening of a (tight) market because they are keen on a horse who looks they could sneak a NZ Cup over the favourites?

Is the TAB actually interested when they put a horse in the field who has supposedly been exported?

Does anybody know the individual characteristics and personality of the horses involved like a Hands Down?

I might be a bit harsh but I don't know, it doesn't excite me like it used to. Oddly I would look forward to the Dominion Handicap Trot more than the NZ Cup but that might be going too far.

I miss seeing horses like The Bru Czar and Franco Ice etc. War horses that always showed up on raceday and were invariably driven accordingly regardless of what tactics were adopted to soften them up. I admire what the All Stars are achieving but do wonder if it's good for harness racing that one stable routinely takes all the cream on the cake. Perhaps that's why I always had a soft spot for war horses such as the two quoted.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I miss seeing horses like The Bru Czar and Franco Ice etc. War horses that always showed up on raceday and were invariably driven accordingly regardless of what tactics were adopted to soften them up. I admire what the All Stars are achieving but do wonder if it's good for harness racing that one stable routinely takes all the cream on the cake. Perhaps that's why I always had a soft spot for war horses such as the two quoted.  

i might agree a  little bit but if  iwas training i would aspire to beat them  they dont haveall the good horses

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brodie said:

No they don’t,  just the ones that get all the stake money in the group races!

If I had 50 of the best bred yearlings in the country I would throw away all the 1 and 2 winners and just keep the open class ones too. Makes sense to me.

Why would you keep crap horses that might win 2 or three races and not pay the bills when you can race ones that can win a derby?

On 10/07/2018 at 7:30 PM, Double R said:

Another three horses added to the list today, and obviously someone  is betting already as some odds have altered.

Jack is at a reasonable price Robert, although a couple of points too short.

Who the hell set Sheriffs price, because I would like to contact them. Whatever they are on would help me sleep better.

Pats Delight dead set brained him off the trail at the Jewels, albeit a mile. Not a good look for two miles.

21 hours ago, globederby12 said:

Who the hell set Sheriffs price, because I would like to contact them. Whatever they are on would help me sleep better.

Pats Delight dead set brained him off the trail at the Jewels, albeit a mile. Not a good look for two miles.

Hi Rees,

Sheriff and Pats Delight are very good horses. I would not worry about your concerns on Pats Delight Jewels win. The winner of the 2016, 3 year old Jewels, ran 2nd in last years Cup.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:35 PM, globederby12 said:

Hi Rees,

I think I read somewhere over the last couple of days that neither Pats Delight or Chase Auckland were being aimed at the Cup.

Cheers.

Robert.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The latest market comparing opening odds to now. Looks like the Tiger Tara early supporters are the big winners. Surprising so many have shortened up the top. Eamon at 9s? Star Galleria at 7s?  I suppose Chase Auckland's demise did that.

Shorteners:

Ultimate Machete 5.50 to 4 80

Tiger Tara 18 to 6

Dream About Me 11 to 6.50

A G's White Socks 15 to 9

Eamon Maguire 11 to 9

Star Galleria 11 to 7

Captain Dolmio 26 to 15

Same

Alta Orlando 26

Drifters

Sheriff 7.50 to 15

The Fixer 11 to 18

Jack's Legend 11 to 12

Billy Badger 66 to 151

James Dean  101 to 151

Gone

Chase Auckland 6

Sicario 15

Pat's Delight  / Cash N Flow / Spankem / Classie Brigade 26

Buster Brady /  Hail Christian / Tiger Thompson 66

Raukapuka Ruler / Mickey Gee 101

New to Market

Cruz Bromac  / Chicago Bull 9

Forgotten Highway 18

Northview Hustler 35

Letspendanitetogetha 51

No Doctor Needed / Alleluia 66

and a few others over 100...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hunterthepunter said:

very open cup this year seems like a lot of horses are not screwed  right down yet

For sure, most open cup in a long time, I'm actually looking forward to this one... ultimate machete and dream about me are the big lays of the cup, I wouldn't touch either over 2 miles....I'm sure I will be reminded pretty quickly if they win, but Chicago Bull, tiger Tara, forgotten highway and Jacks legend for 4th!

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

Surprised AG Whitesocks has shortened after being late scratched after being lame at Methven.

You would think the trainers would know better than to line him up (or attempt to) when they knew he wasn't 100%.

They did the same last year with Seel The Deal who was injected with gold injections to get him to the cup and it proved fruitless, not sure if he even had another start after that.

• 2 weeks later...