Bit Of A Yarn

Most vivid positive memory experience/thrill in industry

On 9/09/2021 at 12:42 PM, Gammalite said:

Ya had to do it Chief... ??? put up the race with the four (4) Terrific NZ Cup winners from 1979 to 1982 , 

LordModule (1979), HandsDown (1980) ,Armalight (1981), BonniesChance (1982) ......Gammalite (0, sob sob lol) 

(Armalight, Bonnies Chance and Hands Down ran the NZ Cup trifecta)  , 2 weeks before this race photo as well)  

Gammalite crushing 3 Champion NZ Cup winners into submission in your highlight here, ......and then along came Lord Module !  blahblah! great !....sob, sob.....

DSC02391.JPG

5 of the very best captured in that photo.

Maybe no other photo out there to match it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

5 of the very best captured in that photo.

Maybe no other photo out there to match it.

Four NZ Cup winners and an Oz Champ in one finish, will be very hard to beat.......

We Could try this photo at Auckland ????(with total bias by me of course)  with 2 Oz Champs, and 2 x Auckland Cup winning mares.??       (Bonnies Chance was in this race too, but met interference unfortunately)

Delightful Lady (3rd here in photo) with 2 AKL Cups , Armalight (4th in photo here) with 1, and Gammalite won an Auckland Cup too. 

And how 'Nice' is it to see Vinny with Poppy running 2nd for a change !!! lol.........

DSC02396.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rangatira said:

Poor Merv

Bonnies Chance never liked Alexandra Park or never had the luck go her way, a great horse though, got a shit run in 81 Cup won by Armalight but got redemption a year later, Richard Brossnan in many ways was  a bit too much of a sit back sort, some of those Aussies that came to nz would always go for it, probably the smaller tracks at home created those driving methods   but some of the horse power they had was pretty impressive

You state on another thread that I am “hard to understand” Ranga.

Must point out in clear ENGLISH, this was written by Ranga on another thread.

Shouldn’t matter which thread it is on, name calling, is name calling.

Shitting on threads, is shitting on threads.

Not being able to read peoples minds is, not being able to read peoples mind. DO NOT KNOW anyone that can. Whether someone writes that on another thread or not. Pretty simple to understand.

Since as you state, I am in your words are

“Hard to understand sometimes”

(VERY INTERESTING STATEMENT FROM SOMEONE THAT REFUSES TO ANSWER QUESTIONS AND MOSTLY POSTS IN PICTURES, not many words with many a time a put down or/and a sarcastic tone intertwined. Probably you are unaware that that statement is a contradiction. Seems you similar to another poster Ludwig who cannot put together a paragraph without contradicting.

Ill ASK YOU AGAIN - VERY SIMPLE FOR ANYONE TO UNDERSTAND THIS QUESTION

WHY DO YOU SHIT ON THIS THREAD?

Pretty sure others know what I mean. For a re-cap to make it even more simple for you the post where no-one liked your post, whereas ALL others were giving Purple trophies & mulitple likes.

Mikey NZ just a friendly reminder - yes I am up early its what 6.30am. Yes my usual routine is currently broken, due to LOCKDOWN 4 week 5. Still unsure why you posted at 6am yesterday. You like Ranga refuse to answer questions. The same question you threw at me, in shade.

Not coming at you, sad that have to justify why even posting. Only post on here, not like yourself who posts on multiple sites & on gallops & trotting threads. Are you going to ask Ranga why he just posted at 6 ish this morning, starting a non-racing chat thread solely trying to shit stir as per usual with Ranga. Must of got to him. Of course incase you are unaware, he started it. As per usual.

Not interested Ranga in your evading the question. With gibberish. Or replying to your non race topic thread. Like I suggested to Whiplash why not start a positive thread. Beyond you is it. Many of your threads are mocking-piss taking out of people. Don't like being called out it seems.

Just answer the question. The question in bold to make it CLEAR.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Karrots

Another thread reminded me of something that is probably up there with my favourite memories

In 1988 my Dad and I had a horse called Robins Fella, a Smooth Fella gelding out of a mare that Dad raced called Safe Hanover (who had a win at Victoria Park)

The day that Safe Hanover won at Victoria Park she went around twice I'm sure, running 100m last in the 1st or 2nd race. She went so poor that the Stipes asked Dad to scratch her from the last. Dad refused, saying it was a 5 hour drive from Blenheim and that was too far to come to scratch. She won the last paying about $70

Prior to the Boxing Day races Westport always have the Kawatiri Trials Day. Back in 1988 the Trials Day was a big occasion. We started Robins Fella at the Trials and he won, beating a horse coincidentally called Kawatiri who was trained by Billy Blythe. We equalled the track record at the Trials and Robins Few\lla had plenty left in the tank

Kawatiri was a pretty smart horse. After Boxing Day he went on to win 8 or 9 in a row with either Jimmy Curtin or Kevin Townley driving him. Kevin from memory had taken over his training at some time

Our horse drew 3 and I thought we were on a winner. We were but as it turned out we probably got lucky as Robins Fella only won 3 from over 50 starts

I wanted to have a punt but times were tough so I wanted to see what we were paying first and how Robins Fella felt in the warmup

I gave a real good guy (John Gould)  the $300 and told him to meet me at the fence at the 2600m start, which is right in front of the Tearooms at Westport

The horse felt great in the warmup so as I put the hopple shorteners on at the start I told John to whip the $300 on for a win. I was paying over $10 and Kawatiri was hot at $1.90 (no fixed odds in those days)

We started to turn around and I was keeping an eye on John, I then panicked as John who was in a wheelchair due to a tragic accident as a young guy, hadn't made it to the front of the queue. I said "crap" and Andrew Neal who lived in Blenheim also at that time and was drawn alongside or close to me helped out calling out "Sir, Sir, I've lost a pin". Andrew brought us a couple of minutes grace and John got on. Without Andrew I would have been stuffed as I didn't think as quick as Andrew did

We did win by half a length from Kawatiri, with 10 lengths back to 3rd

In retrospect I was lucky as I think in my driving career (excluding Amateur wins) I struggled to win as many races as Kawatiri ended up winning himself

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

15 minutes ago, Mikie said:

Hey Karrots

Another thread reminded me of something that is probably up there with my favourite memories

In 1988 my Dad and I had a horse called Robins Fella, a Smooth Fella gelding out of a mare that Dad raced called Safe Hanover (who had a win at Victoria Park)

Kawatiri was a pretty smart horse. After Boxing Day he went on to win 8 or 9 in a row with either Jimmy Curtin or Kevin Townley driving him. Kevin from memory had taken over his training at some time

Doody and Kevin Townley could improve them.

Aiming High and Glen Del a couple of the better examples.

Edited by Rangatira