Bit Of A Yarn

Most vivid positive memory experience/thrill in industry

Just quickly off the topic, you know how we get ads come up, every time for some weird reason I come on this particular thread, I get an ad that pops up saying

Harness racing ownership is fun, affordable & exciting by Off n Racing.

There you go Fitzgerald. The ad works. I see it ALL the time when I come on here. Well this thread only for some reason.

Anyway back to Memory Lane topic 😄

• Champ Post 1

Whereas many attend Racetracks solely for love of The Horse,my mates and I went for love of The Punt.

Alex Park during 1980's,The Voice Of The North Reg Clapp and No Trackside.You could count the meetings we missed on one hand.

ATC operated Oncourse Only Jackpots,last six races.This usually only attracted smallish pools,and thus was frequently not struck.

When it reached around $15k,3 mates had a syndicate and I went solo.We both had different combos with 5 winners,but still wasn't struck.

Opening Pool was now $30k & I suggested we should combine.

Well,New Pool reached over $60k,and Reg Clapp announced there was only 1 Live Ticket as horses did their preliminaries before R10.It was Our Ticket on Tony Herlihy Drive Little Buckeroo.

Field was tightly bunched going into final 400metres,and we were stuck 3back the fence and no way out (no passing lane those days).Then Gary Hillier impatiently takes off from the 1-1,giving Tony Herlihy chance to get off fence.As the field came around The Showground Bend.Little Buckeroo was flying and about to hit the lead.Our shouts of encouragement were not needed,as he increased his lead and the judge was spared a close finish.

We gave Mike Stormont $15k for the upcoming 1989 Yearling Sales,and cashed up the balance.

He purchased us two yearling,and had enough left over for 6 months training fees.

One horse was of limited ability,but qualified and sold to Australia.

The Sicilian was our other,and ran second on debut in $50k Sales Series Consolation Race/beaten a nostril by Stabilizer(perhaps Ron Frazer's best performer).The Sicilian gave us many thrills winning 4 prior to sale to Queensland.(perhaps Gammalite came across him at Albion Park)

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 1

ZABADAK

5 b g Nevele Bigshot - Layava

One of my most vivid harness memories concerns a winner on Cup Day 1975!

Of course there is a back story. We raced a 3-year-old Nevele Bigshot filly in 1975. I think she was having her third or fourth start in a fillies race at Wyndham. I travelled down to see her race; she ran fourth or fifth from memory, running on but bit flat. OK.

Later in the day, there was an exhibition/trial comprising four or five Southland horses that were heading to Addington for Cup Day in two weeks time. Alan Devery had a hot team back then. He had Zabadak and his half-brother Stampede in the trial, I think cup class horse Trilobal was another, and memory gone for other runners. Anyway, the trial is under way and they are cracking along on the fast Wyndham track. One runner, Zabadak, caught my eye. The horse looked stunning with fitness oozing form him. The driver, H. Skinner I think, was leaning so far back in the sulky to keep the horse from overdoing it, he was lying vertical with is head nearly touching the ground. Zabadak was full of running.

There’s a fit horse I thought, a certainty to win on Cup Day. I told a few people about the trial, but few listened instead rubbishiing the sire, or trainer or driver, others said Enterprise couldn’t be beaten. Some laughed.

Cup Day 1975, Race 9, Zabadak lines up in a 14-horse field. He’s 9/9 in the betting and driven by Gavin Hampton. Zabadak bolts in by two and a half lengths, paying $21.70 & $6.75. Enterprise is 2nd, Lincmac 3rd & Royal Decision 4th.

I remember I had a huge bet for me back then as I was a low paid apprentice, $20ew. I also had $5ew for my racing syndicate (luckily my bet that week!). I think just about all of the group I went to the Cup Day backed Zabadak so we were loaded. That’s a racing day I will never forget.

==================

But there’s more to this story because Zabadak was a well-bred horse from the A. Sellars breed. I know Galah and Hunter will be interested in this old Southland breeding line with long forgotten sires. If you are not into breeding don’t read on.

Zabadak was out of Layava, a Garrison Hanover mare. Layava was a broodmare gem. Her progeny included Sassenach, Ryal, Profiteer, Zabadak and Stampede - all these horses were well performed.

Layava’s dam was Pollyapolis by Indianapolis. Pollyapolis left three foals and all won: Va Vite (Young Bob,),10 wins; Trigside (Flying Song), 5 wins; Leyava (Garrison Hanover), 2 wins.

There’s a history lesson for you….

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 3

I remember going to the Nelson Trots in the early 80's with my best mate.  We met up with a young local family my mate had gotten to know and they bought their 4 kids along.  Each kid was allowed a couple of bets which their parents would put on for them.

One of the sons, he would have been about 9 or 10 at the time,  picked a horse called Niki Minbar.  His parents refused to bet on it as it had form of 0008 and no one gave it a chance..  He insisted that was his pick but the parents prevailed and talked him into a bet on the fav.

Niki Minbar won and paid $64.   The poor boy burst into tears.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

Well,New Pool reached over $60k,and Reg Clapp announced there was only 1 Live Ticket as horses did their preliminaries before R10.It was Our Ticket on Tony Herlihy Drive Little Buckeroo

Congrats on the win TW !! great job. ! sorry I can't remember THE SICILIAN , but probably raced against him at times, back in the ruck somewhere lol......

Do remember your winner on Punt though. The very last time I went to Alex Park I flew over to look at a horse, and went along on GN Derby prelude night with trainer Jim Smith . His fine 3 year-old CAPTAIN LEE won this night too, (had won a few in a row) and might have been favourite for the Derby the following week. (Way too expensive for me to buy lol.....) 

Here is a very old racebook page I have, with I have noted Little Buckaroo trained by Roy and Barry ,still driven by Tony too,  running 2nd to no less than INKY LORD !!! who went on to Win the NZ Cup later that year !! wow!  (guess he won the GN Derby then ??) I returned to Oz before the GN Derby final so missed it. Maybe Little Buckeroo won it. 

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

24 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Here is a very old racebook page I have, with I have noted Little Buckaroo trained by Roy and Barry ,still driven by Tony too,  running 2nd to no less than INKY LORD !!! who went on to Win the NZ Cup later that year !! wow!  (guess he won the GN Derby then ??) I returned to Oz before the GN Derby final so missed it. Maybe Little Buckeroo won it.

DSC02394.JPG

DSC02394.JPG

Cheers Gamms.

The GN Derby $150k following week was WON by INKY LORD/2nd Captain Lee/3rd Happy Hazel/4th Redcliffe Pass/5th Little Buckeroo

I have dozens of cartons of all my oncourse racecards/best bets/friday flash etc,but kept in storage.

If NZ Lockdown continues much longer,may have to seek them out,and have some trips down memory lane.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

The GN Derby $150k following week was WON by INKY LORD/2nd Captain Lee/3rd Happy Hazel/4th Redcliffe Pass/5th Little Buckeroo

I have dozens of cartons of all my oncourse racecards/best bets/friday flash etc,but kept in storage.

If NZ Lockdown continues much longer,may have to seek them out,and have some trips down memory lane

Thanks for that result ! didn't think Captain Lee would of won it , as would of remembered. Interesting Clive Herbert horse 4th there in GN Derby , we liked , and chatted to Clive to go to Oz with it, REDCLIFFE PASS ,but Not for Sale (as Clive pretty wealthy) he had a 2nd with Metal Mickey a few years before that, in the GN Derby with that 3 yearold too. 

man i'd be like a Pig in Mud to wallow through your cartons of harness stuff. lol... hours (days/weeks) of fun lol.....

just had in another quick funny NZ experience  now that was thinking of Jim Smith and Captain Lee. One year early 80's ,Jim got this horse from the South Island and I was on high-school holidays . So Jim says to me , come down NewPlymouth and we'll win with this filly and make a quid and have couple of great days away. SILKY SUE . what a hoot it turned. 

Silky Sue form in South Island at Dalzell's was 00000 in the racebook!!  from memory, so we were thinking 20-1 and the likes . Sue gets the Win ok, down at Taranaki there ok,,,,, BUT someone let the cat was out of the bag . I laughed for days as she paid $2 w / $1 pl , I think. hahahaha 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Silky Sue form in South Island at Dalzell's was 00000 in the racebook!!  from memory, so we were thinking 20-1 and the likes . Sue gets the Win ok, down at Taranaki there ok,,,,, BUT someone let the cat was out of the bag . I laughed for days as she paid $2 w / $1 pl , I think. hahahaha 

Pretty good damn memory you have Gamms.

Racebook Form from down south was 00060.

Maybe Brodie got wind of this and $unloaded$.

Silky Sue only had one more career win 10 months later at Masterton,so Jim Smith's plunge was certainly well placed.lol

Edited by Taupiri Wonder
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Taupiri Wonder said:

plunge was certainly well placed.

Hey we had the big Plunge this week at Albion. The 2 new kiwi horses were in action ALTA SENSATION and HECTOR . you would know them if follow Nz form. Hector from Barry Purdons the other bloke South Island.

Anyway ALTA SENSATION cruised in at $1.40 with everyone on it apparently , AND all and sundry had backed HECTOR in from $3.40 to $1.70 , and then it got Run Down by a head ,on the line. !!  Who plans theses things ????  fail...... so bit of a plunge into the toilet !! lol instead of a holiday pool at the resort we were planning !! lol......

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Ya had to do it Chief... ??? put up the race with the four (4) Terrific NZ Cup winners from 1979 to 1982 , 

LordModule (1979), HandsDown (1980) ,Armalight (1981), BonniesChance (1982) ......Gammalite (0, sob sob lol) 

(Armalight, Bonnies Chance and Hands Down ran the NZ Cup trifecta)  , 2 weeks before this race photo as well)  

Gammalite crushing 3 Champion NZ Cup winners into submission in your highlight here, ......and then along came Lord Module !  blahblah! great !....sob, sob.....

DSC02391.JPG

Probably the best call of a race Reon Murtha did, it summed the moment up nicely, it's on you tube that race.

No Response was the other race that springs to mind.

Edited by mikeynz
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Karrotsisback said:

Just quickly off the topic, you know how we get ads come up, every time for some weird reason I come on this particular thread, I get an ad that pops up saying

Harness racing ownership is fun, affordable & exciting by Off n Racing.

There you go Fitzgerald. The ad works. I see it ALL the time when I come on here. Well this thread only for some reason.

I get ads for Ravensdown Fertiliser!  What's that supposed to mean?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I get ads for Ravensdown Fertiliser!  What's that supposed to mean?

Haha it's random hey. Then I clicked on Dog Chat which hardly ever do but did for a look today, Nek Minnit poff a Dog Food ad appears. Chunky bites maybe lol. 

But yeah cool for Fitzgerald, think it's a Google ad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davis said:

ZABADAK

5 b g Nevele Bigshot - Layava

One of my most vivid harness memories concerns a winner on Cup Day 1975!

Of course there is a back story. We raced a 3-year-old Nevele Bigshot filly in 1975. I think she was having her third or fourth start in a fillies race at Wyndham. I travelled down to see her race; she ran fourth or fifth from memory, running on but bit flat. OK.

Later in the day, there was an exhibition/trial comprising four or five Southland horses that were heading to Addington for Cup Day in two weeks time. Alan Devery had a hot team back then. He had Zabadak and his half-brother Stampede in the trial, I think cup class horse Trilobal was another, and memory gone for other runners. Anyway, the trial is under way and they are cracking along on the fast Wyndham track. One runner, Zabadak, caught my eye. The horse looked stunning with fitness oozing form him. The driver, H. Skinner I think, was leaning so far back in the sulky to keep the horse from overdoing it, he was lying vertical with is head nearly touching the ground. Zabadak was full of running.

There’s a fit horse I thought, a certainty to win on Cup Day. I told a few people about the trial, but few listened instead rubbishiing the sire, or trainer or driver, others said Enterprise couldn’t be beaten. Some laughed.

Cup Day 1975, Race 9, Zabadak lines up in a 14-horse field. He’s 9/9 in the betting and driven by Gavin Hampton. Zabadak bolts in by two and a half lengths, paying $21.70 & $6.75. Enterprise is 2nd, Lincmac 3rd & Royal Decision 4th.

I remember I had a huge bet for me back then as I was a low paid apprentice, $20ew. I also had $5ew for my racing syndicate (luckily my bet that week!). I think just about all of the group I went to the Cup Day backed Zabadak so we were loaded. That’s a racing day I will never forget.

==================

But there’s more to this story because Zabadak was a well-bred horse from the A. Sellars breed. I know Galah and Hunter will be interested in this old Southland breeding line with long forgotten sires. If you are not into breeding don’t read on.

Zabadak was out of Layava, a Garrison Hanover mare. Layava was a broodmare gem. Her progeny included Sassenach, Ryal, Profiteer, Zabadak and Stampede - all these horses were well performed.

Layava’s dam was Pollyapolis by Indianapolis. Pollyapolis left three foals and all won: Va Vite (Young Bob,),10 wins; Trigside (Flying Song), 5 wins; Leyava (Garrison Hanover), 2 wins.

There’s a history lesson for you….

Pretty sure Zabadak was a year or two later,I think Henry Skinner drove the horse as well as a lot of other good ones

Speaking of good mares Lex Thomas who I see died recently also had I think a top mare who left Hi Foyle and I think one or two others, I stand to be corrected though but for a while  he was on a roll, once again Henry  Skinner was behind most of them too.

Yeh going to Addington in the 80s and 90s as a kid was great fun and usually had large crowds in attendance. There used to be a short little chinese man that rolled up to the windows before every race and used to yell out his trifecta combinations to the teller...He would be there a good 15mins at the same window 1-5-4 $10 dollar .......1-4-5 $10 dollar 4-1-5 $10 dollar and so on and so on. I used to see him at every country meeting as well around Canterbury.

One of my better collects at Addington was the day they had the first six pack (Pick the first six in order) on the trots on the 13th May 2006 on the Nevele R Fillies Final.  I spent $50 with 5 x 10% tickets and on all of them anchoring the favourite Western Dream (Herlihy) who couldn't get beat. I took Affairs Of State (Mark Purdon) and Alingi (Jo Herbert) for second and third and then had a ton of combos for 4th 5th and 6th. Anyway the TAB put a up a guaranteed pool of $100k for this new Six pack bet but I don't think it was widely advertised.  I managed to get the right order on 3 of my 10% tickets and thought I might get a couple of hundred dollars back as the trifecta only paid $31.50 with the hot favourite winning. I waited for the result but it never came up on the screens. I headed for the counter and gave the first 10% ticket to the teller. I nearly shit my pants when the 1st ticket showed $6250.00  Yes the payout for a full unit was $62,500. I ended up collecting $18,750 for $50

Bring back the Six Pack TAB. 

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 3

7 hours ago, Nowornever said:

There used to be a short little chinese man that rolled up to the windows before every race and used to yell out his trifecta combinations to the teller...He would be there a good 15mins at the same window 1-5-4 $10 dollar .......1-4-5 $10 dollar 4-1-5 $10 dollar and so on and so on. I used to see him at every country meeting as well around Canterbury.

Thanks for sharing.

This reminded me of (Dude Wheres My Car) comedy A Kutcher & Scott. They go up to window at a Chinese takeout joint & are meet with a voice box, yelling AND THEN, & then & then & then - so they kept adding to their order lol. It was funny if you have seen it. 

Hopefully level 3 next week so Karrots can go on a drive-thru mission & do the same thing when ordering saying,

and then, and then, and then 😄

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Gammalite said:

just seen ad's on mine being Ry7e Activewear!!. Oh dear lol . better for you karrots ? wouldn't fit em i'm afraid lol

LOL,

Now this ad keeps following me, now on another thread too, when I went back to find the Williams thread. It came with me. Took a screen shot this time.

Wonder why. 

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 7.53.14 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

It the Chinese and Russian conglomerate following you.

Funnily enough don’t mind Putin, when he isn’t allegedly doing nasty stuff to opposition.

Nah its gotta be cause on this thread Iv mentioned word horse multiple times - patt horse etc

Also mentioned Im an owner on site multiple times.

Others on this thread mention word horse & owner too.

Must be picking 2 words horse, owner.

Cause its truely everywhere now, home page & all.

Its Off n Stalking Karrots lol.

Spying Peeping Tom GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Forbs for sharing your positive memory too 👍 After 3 days open, positive memory lane is officially closed. What a wonderful 2 pages of stories/experiences too. The best Iv seen in a while or probably on here.

While speaking of memories not quite so positive, & due to every time atm come on here are reminded of someone. That someone got a slap in the face by HRNZ too not that long ago. 1-2 years ish ago.

Remember it was a quiet time. Not much news or communication from HRNZ, so 2 blokes come up with an idea to do their own reporting & put on social media. Good stuff it was too. The passion, transparency, enthusiasm & so forth was there. The potential reach it could of had, the new participants, new age demographic it might have gained. THEN wait for it. Bam - Slap. Told to STOP this. So they did. Now please feel free to correct me if Im wrong Fitzgerald. 

Also not long ago Karrots was forced into exile for approx 1 month, due to thinking a new HRNZ rule had come in, Slapping Karrots in face. When mostly its positive & enthusiasm that bellows out from this voice.

And of course someone else mentioned on another thread with the same attributes got slapped in the face recently.

Im starting to see a pattern here. Very interesting. AND its wrong in my opinion.

Imagine if that slap in face had of driven Fitzgerald out of industry. Look at what he is doing now re ownership. Of course now he is flavour of the month at HRNZ. Whereas Karrots & someone else are in the dog box. Haha not writing any Karrots topics anymore in HRNZ news. Dogbox for us. 

Why don't they see what Karrots see. That Fitzgerald free to social media show should NEVER have been allowed to have been terminated. Someones selections should have not been terminated & free speech within the laws of the land should be allowed. 

Dean Winchester GIF

Edited by Karrotsisback
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 7:58 AM, Karrotsisback said:

Thanks Forbs for sharing your positive memory too 👍 After 3 days open, positive memory lane is officially closed. What a wonderful 2 pages of stories/experiences too. The best Iv seen in a while or probably on here.

While speaking of memories not quite so positive, & due to every time atm come on here are reminded of someone. That someone got a slap in the face by HRNZ too not that long ago. 1-2 years ish ago.

Remember it was a quiet time. Not much news or communication from HRNZ, so 2 blokes come up with an idea to do their own reporting & put on social media. Good stuff it was too. The passion, transparency, enthusiasm & so forth was there. The potential reach it could of had, the new participants, new age demographic it might have gained. THEN wait for it. Bam - Slap. Told to STOP this. So they did. Now please feel free to correct me if Im wrong Fitzgerald. 

Also not long ago Karrots was forced into exile for approx 1 month, due to thinking a new HRNZ rule had come in, Slapping Karrots in face. When mostly its positive & enthusiasm that bellows out from this voice.

And of course someone else mentioned on another thread with the same attributes got slapped in the face recently.

Im starting to see a pattern here. Very interesting. AND its wrong in my opinion.

Imagine if that slap in face had of driven Fitzgerald out of industry. Look at what he is doing now re ownership. Of course now he is flavour of the month at HRNZ. Whereas Karrots & someone else are in the dog box. Haha not writing any Karrots topics anymore in HRNZ news. Dogbox for us. 

Why don't they see what Karrots see. That Fitzgerald free to social media show should NEVER have been allowed to have been terminated. Someones selections should have not been terminated & free speech within the laws of the land should be allowed. 

Dean Winchester GIF

Just thought Id drag everyones attention back over here. Hello everyone 😁

Just to say I got a LIKE from someone.

Knew it on the money with this post.

Oh no, hope they don't get put in dog box with me & someone else too, for liking my post. 

Edited by Karrotsisback