Bit Of A Yarn

Most vivid positive memory experience/thrill in industry

This thread is for most or close to it, vivid positive memory experience/thrill, good or funny experience you have had in the industry. That you are happy to share 🤗

Ranga you are pretty good with these sorts of things, same as Gamms 😃

I don’t have 1 yet worth sharing, BUT future tense going into winners circle for 1st time will be a big thrill. And looking forward to it one day 😃

Your experience could be about anything, about a horse, watching a race, grass track racing when you were on course, listening to a winner on radio, going to NZ Cup, a winning bet, a racecourse experience or 1 of a now shut down course, patting a horse, chatting with the help horse assistance person. Maybe riding in mobile, retiring a horse to saddle, memories of certain races & race courses. I dunno. Whatever.

Brods, Poster M, Chief, WAD, Taupiri, Nowornever, Robalan, Mikey NZ anyone wanting to share feel free 😃

Edited by Karrotsisback

My favorite memory was backing Guerrero (paying $19s) at Mot after it trotted past me in the prelim trotting beautifully. Was 5l infront going past us at the 200m mark and I was yelling "keep it in its gait Stephen!" (as McNally was on board). Brother got then quin with Pammys Boy running 2nd, Murray Edmonds quin.

Also I still also say lunges and nails em when the outside horse gets up re Sir Lincolns 3yo win

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

we are stuck on win 99 since I started Griffins Syndicate but the highlight was achieved by Brad and the Williamson team taking on the best in Australia and getting us 3 group 1 wins earlier in the year - and the 100 will be soon as Majestic Man is due back soon.

R4.-MAJESTIC-MAN-NZ-T_-Phil-Williamson-D_-Brad-Williamson-scaled.jpg

Edited by Enteebee
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

A memory that comes to mind for me is when i was working in a stable down south. The trainer had a big team and there was this one horse that was very highly strung and whenever it did fast work it did an extra round of warm up and then if you were working with it you had to be ready to go as it went past as it wouldn't or couldn't be stopped.Anyway it was the only horse ever to race by a particular homebred sire. After about half a dozen starts where it showed very little it was entered for the local racemeeting. The trainer decided he would do something different so after being worked in the morning he took it out again just before tea and gave it a gallop. So i stayed and watched what he was doing and to my surprise he galloped at a frantic speed for 9 rounds of the track. When he came back in i said do you think that will help to which he replied no it bolted on him for 9 rounds,and he said its lame now,he would probably have to scratch him.He was noticeably favoring one leg. Anyway come the morning the trainer hadn't scratched him and when i asked if he was starting he said he would get him scratched if he was sore warming up and it could be his last race anyway.

Well believe it or not,to everyones surprise that horse came out and won paying a big dividend.It then lined up again the following week at the same track and won again paying big money. It only had another couple of starts before he returned it to its owner. I wasn't sure what was to be learnt from that,but its something i have never forgotten.

When it comes to racing our own,i have lots of memories but i will keep those for maybe another day.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 2

In my younger days backing a horse called moorbank supreme at the twilight trots at Victoria park, friends all laughed at me give its lack of form, led all the way, can't quite remember the div but was around the 60 to 80 mark, was a long time ago, but the satisfaction and memories live on.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Bit disappointing only 1/2 dozen peeps want to join on this positive thread & Poster M will no longer be posting. Shame.

THANK YOU to those positive peeps for sharing your precious memories (Gospel, Roman, Gamms, Shad, Enteebee, Galahs)

In staying with a positive theme.

Just saw this & would have to be the best video Iv seen recently re racing - the cam got a bit dirty, but the mic/audio with D Ferguson make it. 

Have a watch if you have not seen it yet.

VERY COOL 

https://www.facebook.com/trackchatnz/videos/397013442047492/?__so__=channel_tab&__rv__=all_videos_card

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

13 minutes ago, Karrotsisback said:

Just saw this & would have to be the best video Iv seen recently re racing - the cam got a bit dirty, but the mic/audio with D Ferguson make it. 

Have a watch if you have not seen it yet.

VERY COOL 

Brilliant Karrots.!! that driver amazing and super chilled. and thought to thank all the people like owners and people who did early work with horse as he pulled up !! amazing. what a great chap . And Nice Win !!!

no surprise with the track dirt. Qld sees you get a bucket of 'horse sweat' in your face and colours during every race with the warmer weather lol.....  used to enjoy washing horse after so could have a rinse off yourself sometimes lol.

• Like 2

Anyone remember the horse surprise trooper, his race at reefton in a maiden was quite incredible, didn't witness it first hand but seen a replay, the horse lead by what must have been 200m meters plus, Reons call was hilarious, as the closing pack reeled him, quipping he was down to a walk, then a crawl, oh he broken up, would love to see replay again, must be in the archives some where, for the record finished 3rd.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

One of them was knowing a trainer in 2 horse outfit , he told me he had a very special maiden, that would go to open class. Followed it from start and it ended up winning Interdom heat at around $ 35 when be backed it.  Was actually highest point scorer going into the final, but scratched on final's morning with bad leg,

Still was good following horse up from beginner to being  top qualifier  for Interdom final.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

Best experiences in harness racing was when I started going out to Addington  on a Saturday Night with my mother, full stands and an atmosphere that no longer exists!

Manual Tote Board, On Course Doubles, collecting cash at the TAB agencies rather than having to now accept Betting vouchers as they do not have enough cash on hand!

Good memories long past, was being offered Fixed  Odds by the NZ Bookies at the TAB and being able to wager on horses without being restricted to pathetic low amounts!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Best experiences in harness racing was when I started going out to Addington  on a Saturday Night with my mother, full stands and an atmosphere that no longer exists!

Manual Tote Board, On Course Doubles, collecting cash at the TAB agencies rather than having to now accept Betting vouchers as they do not have enough cash on hand!

Good memories long past, was being offered Fixed  Odds by the NZ Bookies at the TAB and being able to wager on horses without being restricted to pathetic low amounts!

You were restricted then too Brodie - by how much your Mother let you put on.  Nothing changes eh!

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Can remember when built the new stand at Addington as went in five days before officially opened. Because great uncle, was white coat man at entrance!

• Like 2

You know I have a story I could share its how I got interested in Harness. Its a memory & quite vivid.

2-3 years ago went to watch a friends horse they owned, but had muddled up start time for race & arrived on course after the race. Oppsey. So promised to go watch again.

Went again & it ran (also ran).

Still feeling a bit bad after missing its first race earlier as bold. Said hey “Ill come again & watch”.

Went again & again it was (also ran).

Thought well Im done, not going to go watch this horse again, but wanting to help friend, with little to no knowledge passed on my observation of what I saw.

Said “think driver is moving too soon, next time, why not ask to get driver not to move so soon”.

Next start unbeknown to me they tried that tactic & it worked. Horse placed & it placed at its next start same tactic, then won.

Started to follow the horse. It ended up getting sold & my friend moved overseas. BUT Karrots was now interested.

From There to Here.

• Like 3

My first win as an owner  with my first horse back in 1985.   The horse ran a track record at Waterlea (All Weather) for a 3year old.  She was 2nd to last in the running until making her run with 600 to go.  It turned out to be her only win as she was quite erratic.  

Will always remember Lord Modules Alan Matson win.  The only time I saw large numbers of people  spontaneously run to the birdcage after a  race to greet a horse

Also meeting my boyhood hero Maurice Holmes and spending half an hour one on one with him.  Would be the equivalent of a young rugby fan  getting to spend time with Ritchie McCaw these days.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

9 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

My first win as an owner  with my first horse back in 1985.   The horse ran a track record at Waterlea (All Weather) for a 3year old.  She was 2nd to last in the running until making her run with 600 to go.  It turned out to be her only win as she was quite erratic.  

Will always remember Lord Modules Alan Matson win.  The only time I saw large numbers of people  spontaneously run to the birdcage after a  race to greet a horse

Also meeting my boyhood hero Maurice Holmes and spending half an hour one on one with him.  Would be the equivalent of a young rugby fan  getting to spend time with Ritchie McCaw these days.

The days of Eric Percy commentating, or did he just do Nelson, that long ago, makes one  feel old.

• Like 2

Racing as a young lad was exciting.

$1 place was even exciting when your horse paid a div.
Used to run a fair way to Addington from home and there was always the turnstiles where the adults had to pay  to get in.

Next door there was always a man in a write coat ( Not Sunnyside worker) who collected the tickets from the members or guest tickets that did not have to pay.

It was free for kids under 18 if accompanied by an adult.

Dont think you were meant to be there under 18 unaccompanied.

I wasnt 18 when I was going and it was always walk thru the gate quickly and point to the right as if your adult was coming thru the turnstile!

Every now and again the old fellah would carch you out but let you in Anyway lol.

ahh the great days of exciting racing !

Parents would put the bets on at the TAB agencies then you would go to the course to watch.

No fixed odds but some great collects.

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 2

I've got lots of vivid memories in both Harness and Thoroughbred racing.  I can't choose which one as being the most vivid.

1. Listening to one of my Dad's first horses win a big race at Nelson from my transistor in Hokitika - the commentator was Jack O'Donnell.  He could sure paint a picture.  No video's in those days but Dad did buy the tape recording.  I wore it out and can still recite the last 600m of the race verbatim - "It's a grand sight in sunshine as they race round the showgrounds bend, Canny Glen is the leader......Jack Smolenski immediately gives the dust sheet a tap or two and his charge is out in front by a length or two, Tilford is the big danger and is starting to make a move now.........and here's High Chaparral down the outside, racing in with 200 to go, High Chaparral hits the front and goes onto win, THIS WILL BE A BOILOVER!"
  2. Being allowed for the first time after weeks and weeks of dunging out, cleaning leather harness, gearing up and washing down to jog a horse on my own in sulky.
  3. Visiting and staying at Ted Lowe's property at Hinds.  Sitting in his living room surrounded by NZ Cups and numerous other racing trophies and memorabilia while he and Dad drunk whiskey regaling in vivid language fascinating racing stories.  Seeing the Hokitika Trotting Cup which was won in the late 19th century.  It was bigger than the NZ Trotting Cup. 
  4. While at Ted's property got to see Wag the first horse I think to smash the 2 minute barrier for a mile.  I was 9 and Dad had High Chaparral stabled at the property.  I was given one of Wag's horse shoes and a cutting from his tail.  I got the idea to tie a couple of strands on High Chaparrals harness to make him go faster in his next race which was at Ashburton.  He duly won and the story was written up in the local Ashburton paper.  After that we frequently got an envelope in the mail with a fresh supply of Wag hair.
  5. Further to that win at Ashburton.  It was my job to walk the horse around after the race to cool down while Dad and Joe Hill (the Trainer) went to collect.  Anyway I walked round and round and round - another race went by.  I initially wasn't brave enough to take the horse back to the stalls as in those days it was a hive of activity - horses neighing loudly, corrugated iron being kicked but it started to rain and I got braver.  I was heading back to find Dad and Joe who had forgotten about me - they were busy drinking whiskey and counting all the cash they had just scored off the TAB.  LOL that horse always paid well on the Tote!!  You could really set a horse for a punt in those days!
  6. Being in the Trainers stand at Addington the night of Lord Module's Allan Matson FFA world record win.  The stable had a couple of horses racing that night and I was a stable hand so got to go where the general public couldn't.  The Trainers all had stop watches and were stunned when they saw the time Lord Module had run.  I vividly remember the large crowd running to the birdcage to cheer him.  The previous week they had been booing and throwing cans at him.  A lasting memory was also seeing Jack Smolenski sitting in the Drivers room which we walked through on our way back to the stable.  We congratulated him but noticed the blood from Lord Module's quarter cracks on his silks.
  7. Meeting a live and well Lordship at the Nyhan's Stud on Trents Road.  Seeing my first mare being served and suckered into helping.  The little pony teaser going ape.  The Stallion (I think is was Noble Lord) rippling with muscle and anticipation.  A vet palpitated  the mare - it was my job to hold the swabs - both before and after!  Then at the last moment when the stallion was mounting the mare a handler grabbed its penis and directed it into a big tube to collect the semen which was then split into straws.  Then back to holding swabs while the vet inseminated the mare with a straw!  
  8. Being allowed to drive at speed my Dad's best horse as a 2 year old - Dunhill.  The further and faster we went the harder it was to hold him.  The other horse being worked alongside was a horse called Crafty Admiral who was also quite useful.
  9. When at University picking every winner one night at Addington (didn't pick 4 in each race either!) including a number of outsiders.
  10. The float trips from Brightwater to Christchurch leaving at 4am in the morning.
  11. Endless summer holidays every year on the Nelson/Blenheim Harness circuit.  I started every school year a week later than everyone else as I honed my maths skills in a racebook.  The Nelson Trotting Club Members buffet was always a highlight and I've never ever seen one like it.
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 4

Memory Lane is still open for the day.

These memories show the passion, excitement, thrill, dedication, long time Love of an industry you ALL hold dear to your hearts ❤️

Wow - truely wow to ALL those sharing these wonderful, cool memories.

Can see how some refer to the GOOD OLD DAYS on here.

Makes it a bit easier to build a picture of what you are referring to.

I Understand 2 Chainz GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Being in the Trainers stand at Addington the night of Lord Module's Allan Matson FFA world record win.  The stable had a couple of horses racing that night and I was a stable hand so got to go where the general public couldn't.  The Trainers all had stop watches and were stunned when they saw the time Lord Module had run.  I vividly remember the large crowd running to the birdcage to cheer him.

Ya had to do it Chief... ??? put up the race with the four (4) Terrific NZ Cup winners from 1979 to 1982 , 

LordModule (1979), HandsDown (1980) ,Armalight (1981), BonniesChance (1982) ......Gammalite (0, sob sob lol) 

(Armalight, Bonnies Chance and Hands Down ran the NZ Cup trifecta)  , 2 weeks before this race photo as well)  

Gammalite crushing 3 Champion NZ Cup winners into submission in your highlight here, ......and then along came Lord Module !  blahblah! great !....sob, sob.....

DSC02391.JPG

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2