Bit Of A Yarn

Smallest number of starters

Ludwig

6 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

I see Cambridge has got just 50 horses going around in 7 races . I was wondering, is there a minimum number of horses that are required for a meeting to go ahead? Even Forbury park could do better in its twilight years.

Probably find 50 more may go around Alexandra Park friday.

• Champ Post 1

15 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Racing is in the doldrums big time in the North Island without doubt.

There is not going to be enough participants in the next few years as many just drop out!

Last one turn out the lights!

Correct Brods. Wasn’t going to point this out, this next sentence, BUT with respect Ludwig is just putting the usual knife into the North & Northern harness fans as per usual.

BUT rather than coming up with ideas on Alex P thread to help North as yourself & I did. Instead come on to mock ideas, the thread & thread starter.

No idea the minimum number. But it is obviously less than 50 or whatever the number is to race at Cambridge this week.

Edited by Karrotsisback

22 minutes ago, Brodie said:

There is not going to be enough participants in the next few years as many just drop out!

Agree. I believe that meetings should be reallocated to where there is demand. The top of the South and the West Coast would attract more than 50. Let's call it as it is... feeble.

• Like 1

The costs are just too much for having a horse in work if you want it to pay.

Yes most want to race a horse for the fun of it however there has to be a point where it is just not worth it.

The Junior ranks are just pathetic and not looking any better.

The older trainers will not be going on indefinitely and if you owned a block of land with stables, why wouldn’t you put housing on it if you got it zoned accordingly?

Yes things are dire in the north which has been coming for awhile now.

Several reasons for it which many of us know what they are!

15 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

And Me Me Me Me

I honestly do not care what your opinion of me is Ranga. Simply as I do not give it much value nor respect it. If you were able to not contradict yourself regularly then I might hold more value to it, same can be said re Ludwig. 

What ever happened to moving on in your words "hope so". What also happened to in your picture words "water off a ducks back"  - when you were under attack by multiple posters including Brodie & Hunter. 

You are clearly not over me showing you the mirror. 

Move on. Get over it. 

Sorry there Ludwig will move on from your thread. Was invited in by another poster after all and directly answered your question respectfully. 

36 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Agree. I believe that meetings should be reallocated to where there is demand. The top of the South and the West Coast would attract more than 50. Let's call it as it is... feeble.

Season Shield circuit a real doozie and produced some cracking horses.

Steven John nabbed a Westport, Reefton, Greymouth West Coast Bonus and the Nelson and Marlborough Cups inside a few weeks for John Rogers.

Oh yeah plus the Amberley Cup in between Greymouth and Nelson.

Worthy of a 100k bonus that effort.

16 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

Season Shield circuit a real doozie and produced some cracking horses.

Steven John nabbed a Westport, Reefton, Greymouth West Coast Bonus and the Nelson and Marlborough Cups inside a few weeks for John Rogers.

Oh yeah plus the Amberley Cup in between Greymouth and Nelson.

Worthy of a 100k bonus that effort.

The nominations for Methven and now Mot show that there is oodles of demand for grass track racing. Leaving it until there is a brief fling over summer seems to me, too little. Have another mini circuit.

And as for the north, surely one well supported race meeting a week is better than 2 pretty feeble efforts 

• Like 3

Just looked at the fields for Waikato.

The meeting should be abandoned as it is not worth running it as it is going to run at a loss for the industry.

Good for the owners as very easy to win stake  money but FFS, just not worth even looking at as a punting vehicle.

Seriously something needs to change in a hurry, but no idea how we can attract new owners to race a horse, when they will be racing for less than what they were racing for last decade!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Just looked at the fields for Waikato.

The meeting should be abandoned as it is not worth running it as it is going to run at a loss for the industry.

Good for the owners as very easy to win stake  money but FFS, just not worth even looking at as a punting vehicle.

Seriously something needs to change in a hurry, but no idea how we can attract new owners to race a horse, when they will be racing for less than what they were racing for last decade!

I was thinking that the meeting should be called off.... But feared that my little parsnip might get in a stew. Common sense should prevail 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, Brodie said:

Yes, very worrying. How long will it be before more North Island trainers, like the Tellers, decided to relocate to Canterbury? It has to happen. Cup hopeful South-east Arden is already in Canterbury, won at trials Wednesday with lovely Natalie aboard. Will Mango return to Canterbury full time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

Yes, very worrying. How long will it be before more North Island trainers, like the Tellers, decided to relocate to Canterbury? It has to happen. Cup hopeful South-east Arden is already in Canterbury, won at trials Wednesday with lovely Natalie aboard. Will Mango return to Canterbury full time?

Perhaps the Dunn's have got the right idea. Have the main stable in the south, and a co stable in the north to take advantage of features.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davis said:

Many of the older trainers will be giving it away shortly.

Watched something on TV a year or so ago and Ray Green had had enough, and there will be others.

Josh Dickie going or gone, so where are we left, with most trainers disillusioned, not enough juniors, not enough owners, not enough horses and the NZ TAB turn away punters????

Go figure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1