Bit Of A Yarn

Geez the fields at Matamata have been gutted!

Poor bloody South Island trainers looking at that. 3 going around for $30,000, 4 for $40,000, 4 in the 2yo. And after three 3year olds go around today they get another chance in a small field tomorrow and then on Wednesday they split the 3yo just to give them plenty of choice. They could have run a meeting at Timaru tomorrow for lower grade types and filled 10 races - based on the numbers at trials and the numbers being eliminated recently.

Absolutely crazy. Stakes increases haven't achieved much so far.

• Like 3

NZ racing at it's finest don't worry it can only get better from now on NZTR or lurvve racing tells us so and BS says there is nothing wrong. The real question is am I watching NZ racing or races from Mauritius as it seems more and more mudhoos keep appearing in the jockey ranks and that means the quality of riders has significantly dropped they were not good enough to ride in there donkey derbies there but get a license here yet non improve its just a flapping fest these days making it dangerous, very unappealing to all that watch it, it really is embarrassing to say the least you can't polish shit and sell it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

its just a flapping fest these days making it dangerous, very unappealing to all that watch it, it really is embarrassing to say the least you can't polish shit and sell it.

And they expect people to bet and increase turnovers . Having a bet in NZ is pretty much a lottery due to poor riding standards alongside a complete lack of understanding of race tactics and pace . 

Geez don't get me started .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

And they expect people to bet and increase turnovers . Having a bet in NZ is pretty much a lottery due to poor riding standards alongside a complete lack of understanding of race tactics and pace . 

Geez don't get me started .

BS himself couldn't give me money to have a bet on it, I always wait till oz racing kicks in then have ago at least I get a proper ride for my money 

26 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

BS himself couldn't give me money to have a bet on it, I always wait till oz racing kicks in then have ago at least I get a proper ride for my money 

I would lay money BS doesn't bet , there in lies one of the issues we have in the industry , the people running us are not invested .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

Poor bloody South Island trainers looking at that. 3 going around for $30,000, 4 for $40,000, 4 in the 2yo. And after three 3year olds go around today they get another chance in a small field tomorrow and then on Wednesday they split the 3yo just to give them plenty of choice. They could have run a meeting at Timaru tomorrow for lower grade types and filled 10 races - based on the numbers at trials and the numbers being eliminated recently.

Absolutely crazy. Stakes increases haven't achieved much so far.

I agree entirely re a Timaru meeting. One meeting in Gore on Friday is hardly enough at this time of year, for the whole of the South Island.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

I agree entirely re a Timaru meeting. One meeting in Gore on Friday is hardly enough at this time of year, for the whole of the South Island.

There are a lot of lower grade horses in Canterbury who probably won't get a start until close to Xmas. Trainers will keep charging to go to trials and owners will think WTF. Then you look at 3 horses racing for $30,000 in the Waikato. Too stupid for words really.

1 minute ago, Doomed said:

There are a lot of lower grade horses in Canterbury who probably won't get a start until close to Xmas. Trainers will keep charging to go to trials and owners will think WTF. Then you look at 3 horses racing for $30,000 in the Waikato. Too stupid for words really.

If you look thru the fields at Matamata or Awapuni you would be surprised to see how many of those horses are just as likely to turn up at a lower midweek meeting , there is no great differentiation between the mid weeks and a lot of the weekends .

I don't mind the money being put up , owners need it , but we need a better system of spreading the wealth than we currently do . Will we get one , no , because they don't think there is a problem . 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, nomates said:

I would lay money BS doesn't bet , there in lies one of the issues we have in the industry , the people running us are not invested .

Remember when that thing Hughes bragged about opening a TAB account, it was a red flag, the Cartel were present at that soiree, did they see red? if they did, they disguised it well.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 3:56 PM, Ludwig said:

I thought all things considered the fields for Gore were reasonably good based on the very small numbers at the end of last season, helped though by a few Canterbury visitors, had Canterbury had a meeting  who knows what would have happened?

I notice six went around in one of the 3yo races today, after 3 last Saturday and 8 on Sunday. But not to be deterred they have split the 3yo maiden once again on Friday. Obviously there must be some value from winning a 3yo race, even if it is for maidens, which is why they are so desperate to keep running them regardless of field sizes.

• Like 2