Bit Of A Yarn

Cox Plate 2021: Review and Buildup

44 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I don't know what others thought of the race but it was a bit of a damp squib in my opinion.  The colt was very unlucky.  Thought the ride on Verry Elleegant was average.

IMO if that inquiry is treated as a mdn in the back of beyond Anamoe gets promoted , clearly had his momentum hindered and was coming back at the line , with a clear run i believe he wins , but it's the Cox so they look at it through rose colored glasses . 

As for VE , Lane has put in a few average rides this spring , but most do . Different result with JMac on . Again JMO .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nomates said:

IMO if that inquiry is treated as a mdn in the back of beyond Anamoe gets promoted , clearly had his momentum hindered and was coming back at the line , with a clear run i believe he wins , but it's the Cox so they look at it through rose colored glasses . 

As for VE , Lane has put in a few average rides this spring , but most do . Different result with JMac on . Again JMO .

I thought the margin,the fact that Godolphin haven't won the CP,Willo's mouth and that Anamoe started fav would result in a relegation.

Glad it didn't-huge weight dif and the 3y.o had every chance to run SOR down.

In NZ he would be gone!

18 minutes ago, nomates said:

See way less contact in big races in Aussie, been upheld over that. Which is abit of surprising result.

• Like 1

Just now, holy ravioli said:

Very rare in Sydney or Melbourne to relegate in a big race.Thats the reality.

That's why i said if they treat like any other race , because it is such a big race all the more reason not to treat it special , important to get it right , because much more than just the prize money at stake .

How much more is Anamoe worth if he wins .

It's like the NRL , generally ref the finals different to the rest of the season .

1 minute ago, nomates said:

That's why i said if they treat like any other race , because it is such a big race all the more reason not to treat it special , important to get it right , because much more than just the prize money at stake .

How much more is Anamoe worth if he wins .

It's like the NRL , generally ref the finals different to the rest of the season .

As you have mentioned jockeys don't treat a maiden the same way they treat a big money stakes race.

Human nature in an imperfect world.

6 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

As you have mentioned jockeys don't treat a maiden the same way they treat a big money stakes race.

Human nature in an imperfect world.

Yeah yet  they love to say how it's just another race , yeah right .

I used to say back well it might be for you but it isn't for me so switch on .

The crap I've heard jockeys say away from raceday about horses and trainers and owners , very disrespectful , a lot of them here don't appreciate the money and effort that goes into horses before they are ready to race . So maybe i mark them too harshly sometimes .

2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

No, I think you got it right, money does that to people, I still see a lot of trainers over here driving modest cars or Utes, especially the country trainers, the jockey's car park looks vastly different.

In most vocations there are around 5% who are really tops...another 50% who are mediocre/competent,and the rest may as well be stacking supermarket shelves.

7 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

In most vocations there are around 5% who are really tops...another 50% who are mediocre/competent,and the rest may as well be stacking supermarket shelves.

I think you are being very generous in saying that as many as 50% are mediocre/competent , I personally would put it around the 20% , if that .

Of those left a large proportion wouldn't even be up to stacking shelves. 

Of course it's all subjective .

What did people think of Callsign Mav , blame the track or indicative of our G1 form , or a bit of both , but he was a long way off the winner .

We have a G3 at Trentham today and the field suggests we are yet again throwing away black type , I can see a major shakeup in our black type races coming over the next 5 years .

10 minutes ago, nomates said:

What did people think of Callsign Mav , blame the track or indicative of our G1 form , or a bit of both , but he was a long way off the winner .

We have a G3 at Trentham today and the field suggests we are yet again throwing away black type , I can see a major shakeup in our black type races coming over the next 5 years .

Totally outclassed.

Melody Belle won a Grp race and was competitive ,but its a step up.

Avantage another that pinched 1 win but that was it.Also that Te Akau 3 y.o that has had a couple of starts in Sydney for 0.

4 minutes ago, holy ravioli said:

Totally outclassed.

Melody Belle won a Grp race and was competitive ,but its a step up.

Avantage another that pinched 1 win but that was it.Also that Te Akau 3 y.o that has had a couple of starts in Sydney for 0.

Yeah Sword of State , we can't compete in the spring with their 3yo sprinters , most likely anything at a mile or less anytime , our best sprinters are a level off theirs also , last 3yo to be competitive in spring in Sydney was probably Our Maizcay , and probably Mr Tiz for our last top sprinter to be up to Aus . Stand to be corrected .

4 minutes ago, nomates said:

Yeah Sword of State , we can't compete in the spring with their 3yo sprinters , most likely anything at a mile or less anytime , our best sprinters are a level off theirs also , last 3yo to be competitive in spring in Sydney was probably Our Maizcay , and probably Mr Tiz for our last top sprinter to be up to Aus . Stand to be corrected .

Yes Sword of State..he is by Snitzel though!

Callsign Mav may have better luck in Brisbane.

I guess Verry Ellegant can be classified as a Kiwi that came over and did...o.k. ;)

Just a quick chip-in here, as was invested on the race (2nd place) and want to give credit where credit due , and give inquiry opinion.

With ANAMOE , the connections must of been delighted with the run Williams gave it (even more so John Allen with the Winner) and both jockeys (and horses fighting out that close finish for $3 mill first prize.

IMO ,Williams as they turned for home had bucket loads of room towards the inside , but let ANAMOE race out slightly towards John Allen , so they could do the struggle home close togeather . I'm sure you would all agree these animals are going to go that fraction harder when in the 'close vicinity' of others. A natural distraction to whip and jockey for them. This had the added benefit of causing John Allen's horse to lay in towards ANOMOE the way that it did half way up home straight.

Brilliant riding by Willow, he either wins first to line or causes a distraction to the one horse ahead of him, and gets the EXACT SCENARIO that played out. ! To John Allens credit , bum up, head down , kept 'driving hard' to the line. Fantastic. 

I lost on ANAMOE but my jockey rating is 10/10 John Allen and 10/10 Craig Williams .

and 3/10 to stewards for taking so bloody long to make the protest decision.