Bit Of A Yarn

Most no. Of starts since last 3 months spell??

Brodie

I note that Sundons Flyer is having its 75th start today since it had had a 3 month spell from racing !

this does seem a helluva lot of starts to be in work for without a reasonable spell!

Would this be a record for a horse actually racing or is there others that would have even more.

Bearing in mind Sundons Flyer has also travelled so much as well.

Must have a very good constitution but also maybe needs a well deserved matrons paddock?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Brodie said:

I note that Sundons Flyer is having its 75th start today since it had had a 3 month spell from racing !

this does seem a helluva lot of starts to be in work for without a reasonable spell!

Would this be a record for a horse actually racing or is there others that would have even more.

Must have a very good constitution but also maybe needs a well deserved matrons paddock?

When was the last time you had a 3mth holiday,  probably wrong person to ask but in my case never so if your not injured or growing why would you spell a horse that long?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Standardbreds take the work well Brodster. Thoroughbreds can get away with longer spells and less work.

If you gave a standardbred 3 months off in a paddock, it would take near 3 months to get back to same fitness. Why lose 1/2 a year of a horses racing career.?  A stallion mightn't even come back the same. Longest break we gave Stallions was one month.  'Gammalite' a great example, going for many years and 90 odd wins 180 starts.'

Here's one today in Brisbane in the last race Albion Park today. Had a few runs. Lancelot Bromac Nz.

started near every week for 10 years since coming from NZ. start 445 today . Probably the record . 

LANCELOT BROMAC NZ

View at HRA Online
Foal Date 31 October 2009 
Colour BAY
Sex GELDING 
Sire

Lifetime

Summary: 444-31-66-56 
Stakes: $348,295
Best Winning Mile Rate: 1:53.8

ART MAJOR USA 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unhinged said:

When was the last time you had a 3mth holiday,  probably wrong person to ask but in my case never so if your not injured or growing why would you spell a horse that long?

I was always told the rule of thumb was for every week off you needed 2 weeks to get back to racing.  So 4 weeks off equals 3 months before racing again.  Varies of course between horses - some just go out in the paddock and eat and eat and eat where as others don't sit still for long.

59 minutes ago, Gammalite said:

Standardbreds take the work well Brodster. Thoroughbreds can get away with longer spells and less work.

If you gave a standardbred 3 months off in a paddock, it would take near 3 months to get back to same fitness. Why lose 1/2 a year of a horses racing career.?  A stallion mightn't even come back the same. Longest break we gave Stallions was one month.  'Gammalite' a great example, going for many years and 90 odd wins 180 starts.'

Depends how you work and race them when you have them in.  The key is keeping them keen and interested plus speed in their legs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Can not have any sort of holiday at the moment!

It isn’t the fact that the horse went out for a spell for 3 months but has not had a race in 3 months!

They may well have not been out for a spell, it could’ve been in work but not working well enough to actually race!

So the question needs to be asked why do they bother showing the fact that a horse has not actually raced for 3 months?

5 hours ago, Brodie said:

I think there are a number of horses that would fit the bill. Trotters I can think of are Bright Glow and Prince Teka. Horses like those two would not need much work mate. As they race almost weekly, sometimes twice a week, they would not need much work probably just a couple of days jogging between races to keep fit. I think one thing most of these type of horses have in common is that they are one-paced battlers that need the right run to win. They don't win often but usually honest and pick up a cheque frequently.

• Like 2