Bit Of A Yarn

Has the RIB really changed? Paul Harris charged with Animal Cruelty

North Canterbury horse trainer Paul Harris charged by Racing Integrity Board over animal welfare concerns

2 minutes to read
Paul Harris says he will fight the charges. Photo / Supplied

Paul Harris says he will fight the charges. Photo / Supplied

Kurt Bayer
By 
Kurt Bayer

Reporter

A leading New Zealand horse trainer has denied allegations of animal cruelty after the death of one of his racehorses.

Canterbury trainer Paul Harris was investigated by the Racing Integrity Board (RIB) after one of his horses died.

The Herald understands that the animal had been sick and it's alleged that it had not been properly cared for.

An investigator from the RIB visited Harris' stables and property on South Eyre Rd in North Canterbury before Christmas.

Mike Clement, chief executive of the RIB, confirmed to the Herald this week that charges have now been laid.

"The RIB has investigated an animal welfare matter in the Canterbury region," said Clement, former deputy commissioner of New Zealand Police.

"As a result of which, two people have been charged under the racing rules and the matter is awaiting a hearing."

Paul Harris Racing is based at South Eyre Rd in North Canterbury. Photo / George Heard
Paul Harris Racing is based at South Eyre Rd in North Canterbury. Photo / George Heard

A hearing is expected to be held later this year.

When approached by the Herald, Harris said he "vehemently" denies the allegations and will be fighting the charge.

"They have charged me in relation to allegations over whether I did enough with a sick horse," he said "I vehemently deny this and basically because the matter is with the JCA [Judicial Control Authority] I can't say anything more than that."

The Racing Integrity Board, which took over the functions of the Racing Integrity Unit and the Judicial Control Authority for Racing last year, says they encourage anyone to come forward with any concerns over animal welfare.

"We would encourage anyone with information about animal welfare concerns to bring them forward to us," Clement said.

We've had a few racehorse cruelty cases prosecuted here recently, and proven. Hence long disqualifications, but no action by the SPCA.......one recent case involved a prominent country trainer and she is appealing at the moment, another, the lady involved plead guilty, but NO action by the authorities......what message does that send?

I really fear we are reaching the end of the road, for racing's sake Harris needs to be innocent, but again, this is a shocking look.

1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I really fear we are reaching the end of the road, for racing's sake Harris needs to be innocent, but again, this is a shocking look.

Was the RIB "Investigator" a qualified Vet?  Did they visit the property with a qualified vet?  Did a RIB contracted Vet examine the horse on the property?

It will be interesting to read what treatments Harris allegedly hasn't administered.

• Haha 1

I can only quote and reflect on the Aussie scenarios, hopefully your RIB will be diligent, transparent and thorough, if not, they need policing themselves. Animal welfare is now the hottest topic on social media, and the ABC are due for another gung ho posse chasing expose, giving them ammunition is suicide, I don't know what NZH are like, but if they are anything like the ABC they are rats up a drainpipe....

16 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I can only quote and reflect on the Aussie scenarios, hopefully your RIB will be diligent, transparent and thorough, if not, they need policing themselves. Animal welfare is now the hottest topic on social media, and the ABC are due for another gung ho posse chasing expose, giving them ammunition is suicide, I don't know what NZH are like, but if they are anything like the ABC they are rats up a drainpipe....

Yeah well your views don't help that do they.

The RIU (RIB)have been wrong before and splashed stories on the Media. I remember this one  https://www.nzherald.co.nz/whanganui-chronicle/news/whanganui-stud-farm-investigated-over-state-of-horses/ZPFCFFZ6ONFURQYLQPXOTZGGU4/

Makes for terrible reading. In September of 2017 eight mares were trucked to the Manawatu from this Stud to a lady who took on homeless horses. One of NZTR's poster boys paid out over 40K of our racing money in the name of "Animal Welfare" to seize these so called emaciated mares, foal down and fatten up these mares up while the SPCA and NZTR prepared a case to prosecute the horrible man. 

Unfortunately after 40K of expenses paid for by NZTR and Manawatu Vets saying "These mares are not that bad" by February 12th 2018 these mares with their foals at foot were returned to their original home and owner in Wanganui. As far as I know this man still operates in that area breeding horses but will always live under the slur of this article.

I have never seen an apology from NZTR or a media article saying the horses were returned to their owner. Very sad affair on all fronts

I have never meet this man or even spoken to him but I have had access to both sides of the story. I wouldn't condemn Paul Harris just yet

• Like 1

If the SPCA's are anything like our local, they're next to less than useless, after a few SPCA visits & no action at local HoH "Rescue" we were having to rescue & rehome some thoroughbreds & Standy's that were emaciated, full of worms & lice etc.  Management made all sorts of promises to those unfortunate enough to believe the BS they were spun re getting a good home for said horse.  Vets NEED to be more accountable for their lack of action when knowingly dealing with an out of hand situation.  MPI better continue investigatation now they've been involved after SPCA lack of action.  PLEASE do your due diligence b4 rehoming any animal or donating $$$

Edited by Ragamuffin

9 hours ago, Ragamuffin said:

If the SPCA's are anything like our local, they're next to less than useless, after a few SPCA visits & no action at local HoH "Rescue" we were having to rescue & rehome some thoroughbreds & Standy's that were emaciated, full of worms & lice etc.  Management made all sorts of promises to those unfortunate enough to believe the BS they were spun re getting a good home for said horse.  Vets NEED to be more accountable for their lack of action when knowingly dealing with an out of hand situation.  MPI better continue investigatation now they've been involved after SPCA lack of action.  PLEASE do your due diligence b4 rehoming any animal or donating $$$

Totally agree. Unfortunately rehoming is not necessarily a good option from an animal welfare standpoint. As you say, considerable due diligence is necessary and sometimes a bullet is a kinder option.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, curious said:

Totally agree. Unfortunately rehoming is not necessarily a good option from an animal welfare standpoint. As you say, considerable due diligence is necessary and sometimes a bullet is a kinder option.

Sadly that situation arose also for some & Yes, as tough as the call can be the animal's welfare MUST come 1st &  NEVER b4human emotions

• Like 1

On 29/01/2022 at 8:06 PM, nod said:

Paul and trouble have never been strangers

Which raises the question - Given NZTR proposed new licensing rules, which have been signalled for some time, why was Harris allowed to re-license?  Was there a probationary period?  T's & C's and monitoring put in place as a condition of the license?  The existing rules are broad enough to allow that.

Which leads to another question - why hasn't NZTR dealt with the alleged issue under its licensing power?  Are they toothless?  Doesn't NZTR have a National Vet and access to experienced horsemen directly or indirectly in their employ?

Or is it easier to pass it off to the industry Police - the RIB?  Why the RIB?  If it is as bad as the rumours say then why wasn't MPI engaged?  NZTR have been quick to use the Animal Welfare Act and bow to MPI but when a problem arises they don't engage them?

Now the rumours may or may not be true - I guess we will find out in due course after RIB have completed their investigation.  Which will take an age and will be under a cloak in the first instance.  Fair enough everyone is entitled to a fair investigation.  But putting the chance that there has been embellishment and exaggeration of the problem why is it that it has taken this long for action to be taken?  I understand that other license holders were "too scared" to say anything.  What is the cause of that reticence? 

25 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I understand that other license holders were "too scared" to say anything.  What is the cause of that reticence? 

It beats me if most are animal/horse lovers as you would assume.

26 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

why was a recidivist offender given a license in the first place?

What makes you say he is a recidivist offender?

2 minutes ago, curious said:

What makes you say he is a recidivist offender?

I should clarify that - it was in relation to what happened when he went broke around 2012.  Will correct what I wrote.  However the same rumours running the rounds now were prevalent then.  I'll make it clear they are just rumours with no substantive evidence as yet.  The point I was trying to make was what have NZTR been doing?  Surely in light of the previous episode:

1. They would have had doubts about granting a license;
  2. If they had granted a license then wouldn't they be keeping a close eye on the stable.

They have the powers don't they?

13 minutes ago, curious said:

It beats me if most are animal/horse lovers as you would assume.

In that regard I don't think the 0800 Snitch line is a good thing.  If people are confident in the veracity of their allegations why not be open about it?  Why do they feel they can't talk directly to NZTR?  Have they talked directly to NZTR and if so what action did NZTR take? I realise they are really busy at the moment managing their out of control IT project - the Single System of Truth costing $2.4m and growing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

I realise they are really busy at the moment managing their out of control IT project - the Single System of Truth costing $2.4m and growing.

Yes the Single System of Destruction is managing the Single System of Truth.

26 minutes ago, Tesio said:

And 213 starters for the fist 1/2 of the season from those “24 horses in work”……that could indicate a few things right there!

9 starts per horse over 6 months.

Although that is a bit misleading.  Wannabe N Paris has had 17 starts this season but he has backed it up in short spurts of 3 then a reasonable break.  Not unheard of in old days less so today.

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

9 starts per horse over 6 months.

Although that is a bit misleading.  Wannabe N Paris has had 17 starts this season but he has backed it up in short spurts of 3 then a reasonable break.  Not unheard of in old days less so today.

Pitman 65 horses and 272 Starters

Latta 80 horses and 267 starters

Meyers 57 horses and 204 starters

Carston 65 horses and 257 starters

Harris has flogged his horses the past 6 months….