Bit Of A Yarn

Has the RIB really changed? Paul Harris charged with Animal Cruelty

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

And in the interim what happens to the stable and horses and staff?

Well NZTR did a big article on him and his racing team today in NZ Racing news……i wonder if the marketing team at NZTR even realise he has been charged for Animal cruelty…idiots! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Tesio said:

Well NZTR did a big article on him and his racing team today in NZ Racing news……i wonder if the marketing team at NZTR even realise he has been charged for Animal cruelty…idiots! 

Does it surprise you that they do not know what is going on in their own backyard .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tesio said:

That's got to be one of their best bits of work to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doomed said:

To be fair, the racing articles on the website are actually some of the best things they do. They are generally well written and usually relevant and interesting.

Whilst i don't disagree , most of the after race stories are quote for quote taken from the TV interviews most of the time .

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Freda said:

Too late for the full to Aegon,  River Falls.

Freda,

I've just as a matter of interest looked at the other site. Here we go again, NZ's number one social media abuser Leo Molloy showing his credentials. And the dreamer thinks he can run for mayor. I would seriously look at taking as a first step Leo Molloy to the Harmful Digital tribunal or whatever it's called.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Freda,

I've just as a matter of interest looked at the other site. Here we go again, NZ's number one social media abuser Leo Molloy showing his credentials. And the dreamer thinks he can run for mayor. I would seriously look at taking as a first step Leo Molloy to the Harmful Digital tribunal or whatever it's called.

He sure does like to attack others.

Nothing new for him.  Unnecessary, although that has never stopped him.  And here was I thinking that despite everything,  he would make a damn fine mayor.  

The fact remains that the investigation - whatever the outcome  - came too late for the mare in question.  And that statement does NOT make any point that Harris is, or is not to blame.

10 hours ago, The Centaur said:

Freda,

Nah.

Wouldn't know how, can't be bothered,  and anyway that would only give him more exposure- which he delights in.

30 minutes ago, Freda said:

Nah.

Wouldn't know how, can't be bothered,  and anyway that would only give him more exposure- which he delights in.

Be a waste of time anyway. He well knows the rules about digital communications and the line between expressing a critical opinion and breaching the law. If you've seen any of his mayoral media he has said much worse about the capabilities and achievements of various politicians.

• Like 1

Thursday, 14 April 2022

Horse trainer’s animal cruelty hearing begins

1129 0 

Trainer Paul Harris denied an animal cruelty-related charge laid by the Racing Integrity Board....
    Trainer Paul Harris denied an animal cruelty-related charge laid by the Racing Integrity Board. Photo: Star Media
    A Racing Integrity Board hearing investigating allegations of animal cruelty by a leading Canterbury thoroughbred horse trainer is underway.

Paul Harris has been charged under the rules of racing with failing to take all reasonable steps to ensure the physical health needs of five-year-old bay mare Riverfalls.

He is jointly charged with Rebecca Rae, who housed Riverfalls at a Loburn property as she spelled after the final race of her 33-start career at Wingatui on June 6, 2021.

Harris and Rae deny the charge, which stemmed from a visit by two RIB investigators to Paul Harris Racing on South Eyre Rd, Swannanoa, on October 12, 2021.

An emaciated Riverfalls was euthanised on veterinary advice about three hours after the investigators arrived at the property, acting on information received.

Harris trained Riverfalls on behalf of a syndicate that leased the horse from owners in the Waikato.

The hearing, which is scheduled to resume next month, opened before committee chair Warwick Gendall QC and Noel McCutcheon at Riccarton Racecourse last week, with the proceedings dominated by the RIB’s case.

RIB lawyer Steve Symon said its evidence focused on the failure to provide veterinary care early enough for Riverfalls, whose appearance shocked a veterinarian, who felt “blindsided” when asked to treat the horse.

Dr Lillian Bonner was initially contacted by Rae on September 14, 2021 and they exchanged messages via text.

“She (Rae) did say she looked bad and it looked like she was starving her,” Bonner told the hearing.

Riverfalls at the Karaka Sales in January 2018. Photo: New Zealand Bloodstock
    Riverfalls at the Karaka Sales in January 2018. Photo: New Zealand Bloodstock
    After delays due to scheduling issues, Bonner saw Riverfalls at the Harris stables on September 30, the same day she had transferred from Loburn.

“At the time I expected to do a nutrition consult, perhaps treat for ulcers, look at teeth and bodywork.

“I walked over to the box and I was shocked at how emaciated she was,” said Bonner, who rated Riverfalls’ body condition score as 1 or 2 out of 10.

KK13091.gif

Bonner spoke to Harris telling him the horse was in a seriously poor condition and it could not have happened overnight.

“He agreed and said he thought the horse may have been poisoned,” she said.

Bonner, who said she did not assume the mare was being starved, formulated a refeeding plan and a course of oral deworming medication Panacur to treat internal parasites.

“I didn’t want to be accusatory, I just didn’t have it in my mind that any of this was intentional,” she said.

“In summary, I thought I was blindsided going to treat a horse for loss of condition to find emaciation. I was surprised no veterinarian had seen the horse prior.”

Bonner felt Riverfalls should have been treated a month before she saw her. 

The horse’s condition deteriorated further and veterinarian Dr Alisa Corser told the hearing euthanasia was the only option when she was summoned to the property by RIB investigator Simon Irving.

RIB investigator Kylie Williams took photos and a video of Riverfalls that were produced for the committee. They are currently subject to a non-publication order.

Corser, who is contracted to the RIB, made the decision to euthanise Riverfalls in conjunction with Dr Hamish Rankin, who carried out the procedure.

She described Riverfalls condition as “the worst I’d seen in my experience outside a hospital environment”.

“There is no doubt she was suffering, no doubt Riverfalls would have been in pain,” Corser said.

Riverfalls was suffering from severe emaciation and showing signs of colitis, an inflammation of the large intestine which is often fatal.

Defence counsel Stephanie Grieve asked if colitis could cause emaciation.

“It can, but it doesn’t usually cause emaciation in that rapid of a time frame, in my experience,” Corser said.

18 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

If it is an open and shut case why the need to pay top dollar for a Meredith Connell lawyer?

Are there other horses involved or just Riverfalls?

Was a full autopsy done on Riverfalls?

What is open and shut about it? The horse was vetted the day it arrived at Paul's stable and was in his care. There is a tentative diagnosis of colitis which is difficult to treat successfully and can often lead to euthanasia which is what promptly happened.  It's not clear if he may have had some prior responsibility of care but that will no doubt become clear soon enough as justice takes its course.

5 minutes ago, curious said:

What is open and shut about it?

I didn't say it was open and shut.  I just asked if it was then why the need for a high flying lawyer at great industry expense? 

7 minutes ago, curious said:

There is a tentative diagnosis of colitis which is difficult to treat successfully and can often lead to euthanasia which is what promptly happened. 

Was an autopsy done?  

39 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I didn't say it was open and shut.  I just asked if it was then why the need for a high flying lawyer at great industry expense? 

Yes. That suggests it's not open and shut on the evidence and they need the lawyer to make the case fly.

5 hours ago, curious said:

Be a waste of time anyway. He well knows the rules about digital communications and the line between expressing a critical opinion and breaching the law. If you've seen any of his mayoral media he has said much worse about the capabilities and achievements of various politicians.

I note on the other site Molloy has changed his post or rather had McKenzie change it for him by removing a name. If a person can't make a proper decision in the first place he shouldn't be running for a position such as mayor. In fact he was convicted of a criminal offence as well as paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for spur of the moment postings.