Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR Board’s growth plan launches with stakes increases and infrastructure boost

On 13/06/2022 at 12:12 PM, Doomed said:

I imagine that the Auckland clubs will probably move their's to $17,000 now anyhow as the first $14,000 is being fully funded.

Ellerslie sold their land and invested the proceeds with a fund manager except for the chunk of money that was used to build new raceday stalls, swab boxes etc. 

I think the plan going forward is to cash in some of their capital gains each year and use that as income to increase stakes. Provided what is left exceeds their original investment, this scheme provides an endless flow of money for stakes.

The problem with the ATR money gusher is that markets are tanking all round the world. ATR cannot cash in capital gains if their investment portfolio is going south (Jamie Dimon says ‘brace yourself’ for an economic hurricane).

Edited by Delta Bro
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 6:58 PM, nomates said:

Certainly if they don't start looking after the have nots .

They won't,  as things get tougher and tougher (and they will) the industry will pivot more and more towards taking care of the top, which imo will hasten the collapse of the sport in this country.

The same people running the sport are the type who opposed paying a pittance to 10th or whatever & think adding 2k to stakes is something to crow about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/06/2022 at 9:44 PM, nomates said:

And this is just going to continue gaining momentum , we have lost so many nice fillies in the last 2/3 years , the ones that go usually go thru to make up our fillies and mares stakes races that the result was seen in the size of their group races a couple of months ago .

I have just seen another stakes filly that has left our shores , Unusual Culture , 3yo filly out of the Auret stable , 3 starts , 1 win 2 stakes placings , first up out of the Maher/Eustace stable in the 1st at Caufield tomorrow . It's all good , we'll be able to watch mdns fill groups races shortly , especially fillies .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, nomates said:

I have just seen another stakes filly that has left our shores , Unusual Culture , 3yo filly out of the Auret stable , 3 starts , 1 win 2 stakes placings , first up out of the Maher/Eustace stable in the 1st at Caufield tomorrow . It's all good , we'll be able to watch mdns fill groups races shortly , especially fillies .

Don't panic, the 3yo classics are all rocketing up in stakes. As soon as trainers realise that, the flow of horses to Aussie will stop. If only they could double the stakes for the two sweepstakes I doubt any horses will leave these shores again.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:20 PM, Delta Bro said:

Ellerslie sold their land and invested the proceeds with a fund manager except for the chunk of money that was used to build new raceday stalls, swab boxes etc. 

I think the plan going forward is to cash in some of their capital gains each year and use that as income to increase stakes. Provided what is left exceeds their original investment, this scheme provides an endless flow of money for stakes.

The problem with the ATR money gusher is that markets are tanking all round the world. ATR cannot cash in capital gains if their investment portfolio is going south (Jamie Dimon says ‘brace yourself’ for an economic hurricane).

Is Trentham broke? I mean WRC, if so why, where did all the dosh go from the land sales? Love to know, anyone, anyone at all? Some big hitters on that committee, or do they swing and miss........

56 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Is Trentham broke? I mean WRC, if so why, where did all the dosh go from the land sales? Love to know, anyone, anyone at all? Some big hitters on that committee, or do they swing and miss........

I would think helping pay RACE debt off . We are all part of one big happy family aren't we .

Interesting to note that while minimum stakes are going up a massive $2,000, to $14,000, open class stakes at industry days will stay at a princely $15,000. When you consider that the SI can often go three weeks with only industry days wouldn't you have thought they could have tossed a few grand into open class races at those meetings. The extra $50,000 being pissed away into the 2,000 Guineas could have boosted every open race on industry days in the SI by a couple of thousand for the whole season.

It all seems like an incredibly cynical approach. Basically saying they can do whatever they like, and what they like is to pour all the money into group races and the "special" clubs.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/06/2022 at 12:19 PM, Mark D said:

Before Cameron George returns to Australia (permanently) he would overseen the dramatic downfall of both the Warriors and the NZ Racing industry. In both positions incompetence on a grand scale did precede him but kudos to him for making it much worse.  Not easy

So he's spending all his time on the Warriors so there can be little time for NZTR.  Still tghe result is the same

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/300630453/cameron-george-defends-his-leadership-of-the-warriors-as-reece-walshs-exit-confirmed

25 minutes ago, Mark D said:

So he's spending all his time on the Warriors so there can be little time for NZTR.  Still tghe result is the same

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warriors/300630453/cameron-george-defends-his-leadership-of-the-warriors-as-reece-walshs-exit-confirmed

That headline could just as easily read " CG defends his leadership of Racing Board as participants continue to exit " .

"If you think I've stuffed up with the Warriors, it's nothing compared with what I've done to NZ Racing. And the Warriors were awful to start with, Racing was a viable industry, a much bigger challenge."

I'm sure I saw that quote somewhere in the article.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Doomed said:

"If you think I've stuffed up with the Warriors, it's nothing compared with what I've done to NZ Racing. And the Warriors were awful to start with, Racing was a viable industry, a much bigger challenge."

I'm sure I saw that quote somewhere in the article.

And has managed it with great vigor , the guy's a disease , another that has been living on the lazy susan of so called professional suits for far too long .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wagering key in prizemoney boosts

Ben Sporle
Ben Sporle @bensporle

Generic.

Wagering results will determine any further prizemoney announcements and bonuses for the autumn carnival according to new RV CEO Andrew Jones.

RV announced an uplift of over $26 million to prizemoney levels in June but also flagged to review industry performance throughout the second half of 2022 before making a final determination on prizemoney for the 2023 Festival of Racing.

“We are distributing as much in prizemoney as we think the industry can sustainably afford,” Jones told After the Last.

“If we think wagering is going to fall off a little bit we will leave a margin of safety in our P and L (profit and loss).

“But once we are confident in our revenue we distribute a percentage as prizemoney and we allocate that across the spring carnival, autumn carnival but also the day-to-day racing and which is probably how the majority of trainers, owners and staff get feed.

“So it’s really important we keep the minimums healthy as well as the maximums.”

While Jones believes the sport to be in a healthy position, he said prizemoney increases to feature races should not be lead by state rivalry but rather when a benefit is to be achieved.

“Prizemoney is going up in both states because revenue is going up in both states,” he said.

“And one of the reasons is going up in both states is because more people are watching and betting on racing.

“And one of those reasons is because prizemoney is going up so it attracts interest to the sport.

“So to an extent its part of the marketing budget for racing, it’s quite healthy.

“I think were you get into issues is where you are funding the same type of race at the same time where you really are doubling the money and reducing the quality at the same time.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curious said:

Yep. What we said. And the headline. And all from wagering revenue which doesn't come close to covering stakes for a single meeting here.

Yes, our racing industry exists in a quite surreal universe, probably different to anywhere else in the world, where actual turnover, interest and relevance bears no relationship at all to the money spent on stakes and other industry inputs.

It would be fascinating to hear some academic attempt to explain how we can have have million dollar races which are only about 5% funded by betting on them, with a further 1% funded by a sponsor, given the level of public interest and awareness.

If they could adequately explain that they could then start on explaining how the industry has made a conscious decision that actual public attendance at racemeetings is no longer encouraged or desirable.

A fascinating industry. It would make a great PhD subject if someone had a few years to spare.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1