Bit Of A Yarn

Trackside Presenters shouldnt be tipping horses!!!!!!

Seriously, what is the point of tonights Trackside Presenter tipping the public horses???

He is from the North Island and he is less than average with his tips at Addington!!
Race 2 he once again tipped Ken Baron’s trotter who really had very little chance of paying a dividend.

It has been mentioned many times that he is the country’s leading analyst, but if you are an enthusiast you would know that this is  rubbish!

I am sure he puts a lot of study in but no offence, I am not convinced that he is actually tipping the horses that he likes!!!

As has been discussed previously, he should not be on Trackside even though it is Trackside’s decision to employ him!

It is not right that he has an 0900 tipline, wagers on those same horses and also fronts Trackside with his tips!

In many harness races, a horse will stand out like Dogs Bxxxx to run in the money and yet the Trackside Presenter does not tip it, it is as if they dont want the public to back it!!

If you followed the tipsters picks you would be down the gurgler!!

Not trying to be personal and it is your choice whether you follow the tips or not, but unless there is a Purdon horse in the race then I wouldnt be touching it!

Edited by Brodie
  • Champ Post 1

48 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Seriously, what is the point of tonights Trackside Presenter tipping the public horses???

He is from the North Island and he is less than average with his tips at Addington!!
Race 2 he once again tipped Ken Baron’s trotter who really had very little chance of paying a dividend.

It has been mentioned many times that he is the country’s leading analyst, but if you are an enthusiast you would know that this is  rubbish!

I am sure he puts a lot of study in but no offence, I am not convinced that he is actually tipping the horses that he likes!!!

As has been discussed previously, he should not be on Trackside even though it is Trackside’s decision to employ him!

It is not right that he has an 0900 tipline, wagers on those same horses and also fronts Trackside with his tips!

In many harness races, a horse will stand out like Dogs Bxxxx to run in the money and yet the Trackside Presenter does not tip it, it is as if they dont want the public to back it!!

If you followed the tipsters picks you would be down the gurgler!!

Not trying to be personal and it is your choice whether you follow the tips or not, but unless there is a Purdon horse in the race then I wouldnt be touching it!

I think the point is to make punters bet to increase turnover. Obviously the worse they tip the more the TAB makes so in the best interest of the TAB to have terrible tippers. Also good for me as they lower the odds on horses I don't like more often than not.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

I think the point is to make punters bet to increase turnover. Obviously the worse they tip the more the TAB makes so in the best interest of the TAB to have terrible tippers. Also good for me as they lower the odds on horses I don't like more often than not.

Fair enough then, having poor tipsters fronting Trackside!

Surely though this must piss off the viewers that dont want to pick their own horses, when the supposed leading ANALYST in NEW ZEALAND is not flash?

If he can not pick winners then how can I, they must think, and we lose them from punting!

The Trackside presenters may be knowledgeable and do their homework but if you paid them for their tipping success, then they wouldnt be getting much!

Edited by Brodie

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

Fair enough then, having poor tipsters fronting Trackside!

Surely though this must piss off the viewers that dont want to pick their own horses, when the supposed leading ANALYST in NEW ZEALAND is not flash?

If he can not pick winners then how can I, they must think, and we lose them from punting!

The Trackside presenters may be knowledgeable and do their homework but if you paid them for their tipping success, then they wouldnt be getting much!

Yes the whale is terrible. He was ok several years back when no-one had access to information and he got the videos when the public couldn't see them. These days he can stop those 1.40 favourites in their tracks. No wonder the TAB keep him employed. 

• Champ Post 1

4 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Yes the whale is terrible. He was ok several years back when no-one had access to information and he got the videos when the public couldn't see them. These days he can stop those 1.40 favourites in their tracks. No wonder the TAB keep him employed. 

Would be interesting to know how many are actually prepared to pay money for his tips?

From what I have heard  is that  he has early access to back what he wants!

Then he must put his tips on his tipline!

Then he puts some of them on “Whale Watch”!
Then he tips them on Trackside!

I am sure he is a great likeable bloke, but personally do not think it is in the best interests of harness racing! 

14 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Would be interesting to know how many are actually prepared to pay money for his tips?

I am sure he is a great likeable bloke, but personally do not think it is in the best interests of harness racing! 

Well his tips come out on the day of the races and he can back them the night before so I suppose you could call that early access. 

The biggest problem i have with him is he influences the dividends so much.As brodie and nowornever have said,he often tips hot favorites,but when he doesn't he always cuts the price in half. Its not his fault that he appears to have such a following.Its hard to work out whether hes good or bad for turnover as he encourages many to bet while at the same time discouraging many.You either love him or you just mute him. We do have channel 83 for the moment..

• Like 2

The aim is to obviously increase turnover but they miss the mark at every call.

Average age of a Trackside viewer ? I would hazard a guess and say 50 years.

Average length of time a Trackside viewer has been punting? I'd say 30 years. 

Punters have their own method of finding winners. I for example place a high value on the following.

Known ability, form which includes trials. Form of horses that beat your selection or it beat recently (franking). Form of the stable on raceday and recent racedays. Form of the driver / jockey on raceday and recent racedays. Previous times and sectionals, draws, track and distance record, meaningful betting movements (money talks). Breeding and record on the grit or grass surface. I also factor in what I believe the management plan of my intended wager is. What the horses prelim looks like. I pay close attention to hard prelims and multiple practice standing starts etc etc. 

The very last thing I need is to see some wet behind the ears recent school leaver who's favourite word is "absolutely" telling me which runner to wager on. Just point out which race is coming up and what race will follow if you must......then STFU. I'm not remotely interested in a word of your inane twaddle. The M for mute on my TV remote has already disappeared. 

When you go to the track and you're getting ready to make your wager, do you have an earpiece in listening to wagering instruction / suggestion or do you rely on your own experience and perspective? Why should that be any different at home? 

It also annoys the #%&@#!! out of me when they yabber on over the top of a judges call. STFU.

Not sure how others view The Whale but I feel he's some years past his use by date. I respect his knowledge but even several years ago when Trackside had a panel on Cup Day, I'd listen to Mick Guerin / Adam Hamilton and then mute Craig Thompson. He is so boring but covers every race at every NZ meeting. In Australia they have form comments and previews before the meeting starts from different respected analysts from that state. They invariably have their finger on the pulse and can share any late mail you almost always cop when you're nearby. 

It seems we are stuck between inexperienced school leaver type presenters and boring yes sir no sir dinosaurs. Are there no other options or is it just to difficult to have this following combination?

Experienced respected presenters with a personality that are happy to be a Trackside lacky and robot?

Why is so much priority gifted to the 1 dollar each way punters and so little on long term experienced punters / viewers?

Factor in the little old ladies but not at the expense of all others. 

That's my Saturday morning whinge :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Walt said:

The aim is to obviously increase turnover but they miss the mark at every call.

Average age of a Trackside viewer ? I would hazard a guess and say 50 years.

Average length of time a Trackside viewer has been punting? I'd say 30 years. 

Punters have their own method of finding winners. I for example place a high value on the following.

Known ability, form which includes trials. Form of horses that beat your selection or it beat recently (franking). Form of the stable on raceday and recent racedays. Form of the driver / jockey on raceday and recent racedays. Previous times and sectionals, draws, track and distance record, meaningful betting movements (money talks). Breeding and record on the grit or grass surface. I also factor in what I believe the management plan of my intended wager is. What the horses prelim looks like. I pay close attention to hard prelims and multiple practice standing starts etc etc. 

The very last thing I need is to see some wet behind the ears recent school leaver who's favourite word is "absolutely" telling me which runner to wager on. Just point out which race is coming up and what race will follow if you must......then STFU. I'm not remotely interested in a word of your inane twaddle. The M for mute on my TV remote has already disappeared. 

When you go to the track and you're getting ready to make your wager, do you have an earpiece in listening to wagering instruction / suggestion or do you rely on your own experience and perspective? Why should that be any different at home? 

It also annoys the #%&@#!! out of me when they yabber on over the top of a judges call. STFU.

Not sure how others view The Whale but I feel he's some years past his use by date. I respect his knowledge but even several years ago when Trackside had a panel on Cup Day, I'd listen to Mick Guerin / Adam Hamilton and then mute Craig Thompson. He is so boring but covers every race at every NZ meeting. In Australia they have form comments and previews before the meeting starts from different respected analysts from that state. They invariably have their finger on the pulse and can share any late mail you almost always cop when you're nearby. 

It seems we are stuck between inexperienced school leaver type presenters and boring yes sir no sir dinosaurs. Are there no other options or is it just to difficult to have this following combination?

Experienced respected presenters with a personality that are happy to be a Trackside lacky and robot?

Why is so much priority gifted to the 1 dollar each way punters and so little on long term experienced punters / viewers?

Factor in the little old ladies but not at the expense of all others. 

That's my Saturday morning whinge :)

You obviously are a thinking punter who invests based on their own knowledge.

The TAB seem to use the whale  to cater to the casual punter who has no knowledge,so in some ways the TAB is dumbing down its audience and showing they consider the casual punter of more importance.

Which type is more likely to return as a consistent customer?

I'm not a mick guerin fan He insulted the unvaccinated and gave them a lecture on how they were bad people,and how ,because of their choice,they deserved no consideration or respect. I just switch channels when he has any input.always will.

The other trackside presenters i have no problem with as they are just doing what they are asked to do. They are generally easy to listen to, although i don't take much notice myself either.Presenting wall to wall racing from who knows where means they have to be a bit robotic most times.

Thats why the channel 83 that they had been showing was such a point of difference for harness racing.Its format reconnected the viewer with the product in a way trackside never will.I like it that jason teaz has the knowledge to tell us steve clarke is good at getting any horse away from a stand,that teaz helped matt purvis get hold of victor bravo,tells us when chris butt drove his last winner,etc,etc ... I also like the way they go through each horse pre race,video replays of previous wins,replay of last half of race again after dividends,etc,etc.

On the main trackside channels half the field never get a mention.If you have one of those horses,theres no connection for relations,or work mates,or friends who have tuned in to watch. No excitement watching the recording to see what is said about the horse you spend a good part of your week attending to.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

Trackside hasnt improved over the years to much degree.

The way they have wall to wall racing is an absolute turnoff for most people unless they are a compulsive out of control gambler.

When they have racing from Japan on the same channel as NZ night harness, you can see where the NZ TAB priorities lie!

Who the hell knows anything about Japanese gallopers a d the commentators are just so boring along with the racing!

Harness racing as an entertainment leaves the gallops and dogs for dead and yet Trackside doesn't portray it as such.

They quickly leave a race to show us some overweight people walking greyhounds to the boxes in some Australian outback!

Personally do not give a Rat’s what The Trackside presenters think will run well, as if they had any ability with selections they would not need to be presenting!

The best presenters of harness like Sheldon Murtha and Justin Le Lievre were given the do not come Monday a long time ago,

At the end of the day if you find that the Trackside presenters were  good to follow then that is your perogative.

Do not think that they add any value by tipping out half the field and should  stick to talking about the race.

Nigel Armstrong and Racing Unhinged adds a helluva lot more interest at Addington than hearing about what a so called lending analyst in NZ likes!

Not being personal, just think that if you were that good, you would not need to be a paid employee of the TAB as it is “CONFLICT OF INTEREST”.

• Like 2

On 24/06/2022 at 6:17 PM, Brodie said:

First bit of a sense ive seen you talk for sometime.  How can someone have a tip service, encouraging people to subscribe to receive his selections.  Then comes on trackside and gives the same tips for free!!!  Dodgy as f..k

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, boobybec said:

First bit of a sense ive seen you talk for sometime.  How can someone have a tip service, encouraging people to subscribe to receive his selections.  Then comes on trackside and gives the same tips for free!!!  Dodgy as f..k

Boobs, I always talk sense, and disappointed that you do not agree with Brodie every time!

Of course it is a conflict of interest and you would be pretty silly to be paying any Tip Line!

If the tippers were any good then why would they need to get income from the Tip Line?

Is there anyone on BOAY that has actually rung tip lines and how did you go??

27 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Boobs, I always talk sense, and disappointed that you do not agree with Brodie every time!

Of course it is a conflict of interest and you would be pretty silly to be paying any Tip Line!

If the tippers were any good then why would they need to get income from the Tip Line?

Is there anyone on BOAY that has actually rung tip lines and how did you go??

I have never rang them but presumably someone would ring his tip line to get in early and get a better price rather than waiting till it’s public knowledge and the value is gone. 

25 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

reports of a large identically dressed congregation behind the tote at the park after race 2 last night

465645_1.jpg

It was nice tipping by the whale.

fixed Odds dropped from $31 he said to $21.

Well if i put $20 on it will do that. I just put $20 on one at invercargill and that dropped its odds from $15 to $10. I guess someone else put $20 on as well as it then dropped to $8. Now that was with under 1 minute to go. Had i say backed it with 3 minutes to start time it would have seen the tote price drop to $8 as well,instead of the $13 it paid.It was one not selected pre race by the commentator.

Every other horse i have backed today has seen the win price immediately drop of between 10-30%. Now the most i have put on is $30. 

The point is its a bit of a joke. They are trying to discourage some people from betting by doing this. As i have said before,if i bet more than 1 minute on fixed odds before race start time,then the tote price will drop significantly as punters follow the fixed odds win movers. I don't think my $20 or $30 should have such an influence.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1