Bit Of A Yarn

Open Class Racing Stakes

Happy Sunrise

On 25/08/2018 at 9:24 AM, Brodie said:

The thing is though is that there are so many more races that you can compete in without Emma Stewart horses and that is the difference.

What is her secret?

Horsham today. Very low class Monday meeting. 8 race programme. Emma Stewart has horses in 6 races. Six wins 100% for the day. Now thats domination. Doesn't leave much for the rest of Victorian trainers. Usually wins most of the group races and now all the rest. I wonder when the exodus to NZ where it is easier to win will start.?

Her secret. A very good trainer with very good horses and a very good driver, C Alford.

• Like 2

On 25/08/2018 at 9:24 AM, Brodie said:

The thing is though is that there are so many more races that you can compete in without Emma Stewart horses and that is the difference.

What is her secret?

rising early focusing on the tasks at hand and staying offline where possible

On 25/08/2018 at 9:26 AM, Brodie said:

NZ harness would actually be a helluva lot better off where the stakes were shared around as I am telling you now owners are getting the stitch big time.

so pay something like 97% of prize money equally amongst starters and use the 3% for some ribbons medals and certificates

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rangatira said:

so pay something like 97% of prize money equally amongst starters and use the 3% for some ribbons medals and certificates

Very intelligent posting but we could expect something like this couldn’t we?

Productive Not!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Double R said:

Hi Rangatira,

I think the reason is because Allstars have publicly said they reduced the numbers of yearlings/now two year olds, they were taking this year. Of course, it does not mean they will not be dominate again, with the ones they have.

Cheers.

Robert.

Hi Robert.

They will win most if not all of the 2 year old races that they compete in!

The Thing is that 2 year old racing was very strong just after Cup time many years ago in Christchurch but now it doesn’t really start till the new year, and most don’t bother now because they know there is no money in it!

Reality is that the domination is having a helluva detrimental effect on harness racing in NZ whether you believe it or not!

The next few years are going to be very vital to where the sport is going to go!

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, Double R said:

Hi Rangatira,

I think the reason is because Allstars have publicly said they reduced the numbers of yearlings/now two year olds, they were taking this year. Of course, it does not mean they will not be dominate again, with the ones they have.

Cheers.

Robert.

thanks double r for choosing not to skirt around the question thats good info i wonder how brodie is getting on with his addington winners

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Hi Robert.

They will win most if not all of the 2 year old races that they compete in!

The Thing is that 2 year old racing was very strong just after Cup time many years ago in Christchurch but now it doesn’t really start till the new year, and most don’t bother now because they know there is no money in it!

Reality is that the domination is having a helluva detrimental effect on harness racing in NZ whether you believe it or not!

The next few years are going to be very vital to where the sport is going to go!

Bizzare???

Come on, your crazy statements just get worse. 

1, Of course trainers wait until new year to really pump up 2yos, that period up until jewels is where the good money is. Racing calender very different years ago, you should know that. 

2, No money in 2yo racing, so most dont bother???? Oh deary me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Bizzare???

Come on, your crazy statements just get worse. 

1, Of course trainers wait until new year to really pump up 2yos, that period up until jewels is where the good money is. Racing calender very different years ago, you should know that. 

2, No money in 2yo racing, so most dont bother???? Oh deary me. 

Newmarket, crazy comment!

So all the trainers don’t want to win good money with horses that come up early as two year olds just so that  they can win the Jewels?

We all know who wins  most of the Jewels races!

Jewels is just so over rated!!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Brodie said:

fingers crossed you are able define the years you refer to as many years ago because its all very vague as usual ?

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

fingers crossed you are able define the years you refer to as many years ago because its all very vague as usual ?

Brodie is right here,  In the 70's two year old racing began in the latter part of the cup meeting.  I remember a horse called Fancy Fred who won his first start in November.   In the following January he won a 2 year old race by 15 lengths.

Des Grice had some nice two year olds around that time also.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

Brodie is right here,  In the 70's two year old racing began in the latter part of the cup meeting.  I remember a horse called Fancy Fred who won his first start in November.   In the following January he won a 2 year old race by 15 lengths.

fancy fred would be more than 40 years ago there is not much in harness racing that hasn't changed in the last 40 years

gordon middleton seldom without an early 2yo

el jefe won first 5 for des grice failed to place once it was group race time

mainly standing starts back then

Edited by Rangatira

56 minutes ago, With A Dream said:

Normally the last night of the cup meeting 2yos started in the South bit earlier in the north

41 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

fancy fred would be more than 40 years ago there is not much in harness racing that hasn't changed in the last 40 years

gordon middleton seldom without an early 2yo

el jefe won first 5 for des grice failed to place once it was group race time

mainly standing starts back then

Nice horse el jefe only had 10 starts before being exported to America, he ran into some top horses, the likes of Mel's boy, enterprise, hilarious guest and Norton in his 2yo year........we certainly have gone backwards in a big way in NZ, not just in the stakes department!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, hunterthepunter said:

that's rite flagships remember my old man training first 2year old winner was last night of cup week then it won the golden slipper stakes that race is not run now it was run for years

Just now, Flagship uberalles said:

Where was the golden slipper run Hunter?

waimate before christmas

• Like 1