Bit Of A Yarn

No matter what

the galah

Can anyone tell me how that horse held 3rd in the last race.

Anyone could see it galloped for at least 100m. I defy anyone to watch the race and tell me they couldn't see that.I did not mix its gait,it galloped.I've watched it a dozen times.

The rule is you can't gallop more than 50m in the last 200m isn't it. 

Well that horse galloped over 100m,more like 120m..

No wonder people don't have much faith in the rules being applied consistently when they see stuff like that happen.

Do the people who make these decisions just look at who trains them,in this case the all stars,and base their decisions on that.

Probably the most biased decision ever seen.Either that or the dumbest decision ever made by those officiating. Just watch the video.

Edited by the galah

50 minutes ago, the galah said:

Can anyone tell me how that horse held 3rd in the last race.

Anyone could see it galloped for at least 100m. I defy anyone to watch the race and tell me they couldn't see that.I did not mix its gait,it galloped.I've watched it a dozen times.

The rule is you can't gallop more than 50m in the last 200m isn't it. 

Well that horse galloped over 100m,more like 120m..

No wonder people don't have much faith in the rules being applied consistently when they see stuff like that happen.

Do the people who make these decisions just look at who trains them,in this case the all stars,and base their decisions on that.

Probably the most biased decision ever seen.Either that or the dumbest decision ever made by those officiating. Just watch the video.

It was the last race Galah!

Want to get home as it was getting cold!

Didnt watch any races live, but have just watched the replay and yes it was going rough many times inside the last 200metres.

Yes it did gallop continuously for at least 50 metres and shouldve been ousted but there are  dumb rules that HRNZ have adopted so they dont have to do any work!

You are correct that because it was an AllStars horse it would be given favours!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rangatira said:

LaCoocaracha.jpg

La Coocaracha .!!!!  Isn't she a beauty.? and mum of plenty of winners as well as todays nice Dunn horse Mataderos.

Her latest foal could be the BEST yet !!!!!!!!!!

Watch out for her foal THE LOCOMOTIVE over the next year or 2. Won the 2 Big Group1   2 year-old Trot Finals already this winter.

And goes Like A Train !! 

Edited by Gammalite
  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 1

10 hours ago, Brodie said:

Doesnt put Hamish Hunter’s training ability in a very good light, does it??

Thats one understandable way to look at it.That was original reaction as well.But i suppose we could also look at it from another perspective.

Hamish Hunter has been a very successful trainer /driver over several decades.

One of those trainers that always seemed to have a good team of handy horses and would occasionally come up with a very good horse.

One of those old school trainers who if you met you would think what a lovely fella he is.I guess that is why he has had the respect and admiration of his many owners and fellow southland trainers over the years.

But i guess no one can't stop getting old and Hunter seems to have scaled back on his numbers and seems quite happy doing what he has always loved doing on a small scale and it just happens to be with horses who are no stars,more your bread and butter type horses.

Hunter probably got as much of a shock as punters in the improvement of teddy baker,but on the other hand would have been happy that he had provided a horse that was dewe first winner.

Its always good to see a trainer willing to pass on a horse to someone else and let them have a go with it.

maybe teddy baker is one of those high energy horses that runs best if they can take that high energy onto the track. Certainly seemed to be the case. Not many horses like that,but you do see that occasionally. Maybe dewe has found the key. I wonder if he can keep reproducing something similar in the future racing..

Edited by the galah

2 hours ago, the galah said:

Hamish Hunter has been a very successful trainer /driver over several decades.

One of those trainers that always seemed to have a good team of handy horses and would occasionally come up with a very good horse

First half of 2020 Hunter trained and placed with a horse STINGRAY TARA . was going along nicely . and went to Oz and won a few more with Webster. nice middle class runs / wins.

Now STINGRAY TARA has joined the ex-pat kiwi lad and big Winner Jack Trainor the past month.

And is smashing out unbelievable '53 second last 1/2 miles' behind the best in Aus (Expensive Ego and co) in FFA company. quite mind boggling. Trainor is outstanding at getting them going. Stingray Tara leaping out of the ground , just like BRAEVIEW KELLY (now 5 from 6 winning again last week, and many more) 

Maybe he is a friend of Dewe and sent him some ideas ?? for Teddy Baker. I'd be listening to Anything Trainor says lol..... 

Now this is a bloke who will be getting past McCarthy very shortly. ??? 

You guys thought Dexter was good? .. this guy Trainor can drive alright (but uses the brilliant Cam Hart a lot) and can Train to Win as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

First half of 2020 Hunter trained and placed with a horse STINGRAY TARA . was going along nicely . and went to Oz and won a few more with Webster. nice middle class runs / wins.

Now STINGRAY TARA has joined the ex-pat kiwi lad and big Winner Jack Trainor the past month.

And is smashing out unbelievable '53 second last 1/2 miles' behind the best in Aus (Expensive Ego and co) in FFA company. quite mind boggling. Trainor is outstanding at getting them going. Stingray Tara leaping out of the ground , just like BRAEVIEW KELLY (now 5 from 6 winning again last week, and many more) 

Maybe he is a friend of Dewe and sent him some ideas ?? for Teddy Baker. I'd be listening to Anything Trainor says lol..... 

Now this is a bloke who will be getting past McCarthy very shortly. ??? 

You guys thought Dexter was good? .. this guy Trainor can drive alright (but uses the brilliant Cam Hart a lot) and can Train to Win as well. 

Trainor used to work for cran dalgety at the same time as dexter dunn i think.He was always a nice driver but does seem to have gone to another level over there with his driving.

I have noticed trainor always seems to have his horse in the right position in races,whether it be coming from the front or the back.In my opinion the other drivers trainor sometimes puts on his horses all seem top drivers,but sometimes to me i wonder if they have some sort of team thing going on. They never take each other on and if one ends up in front and the other in the trail they always make room for the trailer.It works for them i suppose,but i think its noticeable.

That happens over here in my opinion with s phelan sacrificing his own horses chances all the time to benefit the other stable runner,but the difference at menangle is they underdrive the lesser chances.Thats just my opinion. I never bet there because of that and the mile racing .

As to trainors success as a trainer. Well he is like the fella jason grimson.They make other good trainers look like they can't train all the time. They may be better trainers than the likes of geoff webster,but are they that much better? i find it hard to believe that the gap between trainers like that is so great.But look at the results of majestic cruiser and stingray tara and you would think webster just not in the same ballpark.

• Like 2

Back to the topic that started this thread.

I have just read the decision and it seems because of what the stipes said,those hearing it dismissed the protest.

Well in my opinion what the stipes said is clearly not backed up by the video evidence.

They say his gallop commenced from its last stumble,yet the horse stumbled 3 times in the prior 50m.

The video shows the horse had a similar action for about 15m prior to the final stumble,as it did for a couple of strides after the last stumble.So if its action for a couple of strides after its last stumble is included,then why not include the distance when the action is exactly the same immediately prior..

They also say yes it did gallop just inside the 200m mark,but that gallop had no significance to the distance being counted as it wasn't continuous for 50m..

They also say they couldn't establish whether the distance was 50m or just less,but even going from the point they counted it from,if you stop the video and count the number of posts holding the running rail up from where they say the gallop started,there are a couple more than when you count them when the horse returns to a pace,therefore thats more than 50m.

I think this was a very poor decision.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 4

Unfortunately it doesn’t take a whole lot of intelligence to be a Stipe nowadays.

From what I know it ain’t going to get any better on the future !

Not sure whether a I can say this Chief, but personally think they do a less than average job and are grossly over remunerated.

• Champ Post 1

51 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t take a whole lot of intelligence to be a Stipe nowadays.

From what I know it ain’t going to get any better on the future !

Not sure whether a I can say this Chief, but personally think they do a less than average job and are grossly over remunerated.

To be fair - the Stipes sought the disqualification, but it was the JCA that dismissed it.

24 minutes ago, Taku Umanga said:

To be fair - the Stipes sought the disqualification, but it was the JCA that dismissed it.

But the report on their website doesn't say that. it says the stipes said the horse was not in a gallop prior to its last stumble,that the stipes said it may or may not have galloped over 50m,but that it was difficult to be precise going by the track markings. 

It also said  that the stipes agreed it broke just inside the 200m,but because that was a gallop under 50m it meant nothing. 

So the people making the decision said it may or may not have galloped for 50m,but that they couldn't be sure,so let placings stand.

One thing of note is the rule says it must be a continuous gallop. So in theory,within the last 200m you could have a horse gallop 40m then pace 20m then gallop the next 40m then pace 20m then gallop the next 40m then pace the last 40m and it would still be within the rules as there was no continuous gallop of 50m. 

Edited by the galah

With respect, if the Stipes couldnt determine that the horse galloped over 50 metres in a continuous gallop then they need to go to SpecSavers and they are totally inept! 
How anyone could have any confidence in this Officialdom is impossible to fathom!,

Maybe they should be looking for another career?

Shocking decision once again.

• Like 2