Bit Of A Yarn

Purdons Tonight?

Newmarket

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

yes Mr Galah.. i used poor phrases through this thread. a bit regretful yes in the light of a new day. Post what you like whether disparaging or not. I'm still getting over the Telfer Barn stuff.

( IThink their (Telfer barn) preparation and training techniques,  of horses like Alta Wiseguy and BD JOE and others, has 'caught up' over the past year to Allstars which makes them look 'under-performing ' to you guys, when they're not. should be applauded? not lampooned IMO.

Considering the massive input for the Purdons to New Zealand harness racing and over-reacted. MILLWOOD NIKE has been in sensational form... so does that mean 'the money is on' ? or she is 'getting spun' ? as the lead of this thread indicates. It just seems so unfair to their reputation?.

Personally, I hope fellow Purdons >> Nathan in the Vic Oaks heats tonight with AMORE VITA, and >> Barry Purdon in the Vic Derby heats with MAJOR PERRY are 'putting the money' on or 'spinning and winning' or whatever it is you guys think they do. will be some great racing anyway !! against the mighty Emma Stewart machine. Go LEAP OF FAME !!😊  for Qld 🌞! lol.  can't wait.

Like blackie has said,i don't think blood spinning is legal anymore.Everything moves with the times. 

Millwood nike. Well, obviously they would have set it for that group 1 race with the big stake last week if thatswhat you are asking.

Still getting over the telfer stuff? I'm was amazed that anyone couldn't see how bad that looked.Thats my honest opinion,i would have thought it a no brainer,but not everyone shares it by what you say.And I guess if you can't see that as being an issue,then you won't see the all stars were underperforming.

I don't think the telfer barn has caught up to the all stars. I don't think they ever will. I can understand you having that opinion as its based on current results.

You know ,what i never understand is how anyone can argue that the likes of the All stars and the telfers,are the best trainers because they have the best training skills,have the best horses,have the best facilities, use all the up to date equipment,etc,etc,etc yada yada yada......yet when it comes to how to peak them through blood work and treatments,they know more no more than anyone else. Its such a joke of an argument when people say you can't suggest that is a big part of how a couple of stables peak their horses for the big days.

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

And , just as a side observation, I’d suggest the top stable is always peaking for the bigger days, and if you guys had some punting nous(from a non punter), wouldn’t you back against them this time of year?

Well going by those commenting on this thread it is newmarket and myself who possess the punting nous.After all,we were the ones who said they would underperform last night. So i would have thought being accurate would add credibility to ones argument,but not so if you don't want to see it.

Like i said ,we have not been saying anything others on here haven't said either,so there are a lot of punters with the nous as you put it.

Also,the handful of other punters i know all say the same thing.For example last year i got a call on cup day from someone who is classed as a big punter,and they said to me they gave up betting after about race 3 or 4 as it was clear the all star runners had improved significantly and that he thought it unwise to invest as the improvement was throwing all the recent form books out the window. I agreed with him. I too limited my betting on cup daylast year  for that reason.

• Like 2

I like the old days. Hands Down would come out in August racing fresh and usually win or go close and still be peaking for cup day. 
When you think of those old trainers, they were very skilled in getting their horses to peak, sth island open class racing started in August at Addington, right through to the Easter Cup, even had racing in Forbury in April. 

• Like 3

Now that’s called Nostalgia Newmarket, where things were always better further back in time. I don’t think things have changed that much. All the great trainers use to say you had to be racing in August to win the Cup, though I think with modern day Standy are a little more thoroughbred like, come up quick and a bit delicate. Give us an Armbo Del , Scottish Hanover or Lumber Dream hey.

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 1

6 hours ago, Blackie said:

Now that’s called Nostalgia Newmarket, where things were always better further back in time. I don’t think things have changed that much. All the great trainers use to say you had to be racing in August to win the Cup, though I think with modern day Standy are a little more thoroughbred like, come up quick and a bit delicate. Give us an Armbo Del , Scottish Hanover or Lumber Dream hey.

Yeah, people travelled to the races back then. I remember around 1982 or 1983, used to work extra hours on a Saturday, which was paid in cash. 
Addington was on that night and my 2 favs were out, Sir Castleton and Hands Down. Stuck the $40 on Sir Castleton which I think paid about $3, then stuck the $120 to win on Hands Down. From memory it only just got up on the post, and amazingly I think it paid about $6, Our Mana was hot Fav.

Walked to the outside stand after last race to collect, only had mainly small notes left, my pockets were bulging😆. Best thing, I don’t think the TAB was open until Thursday, so no chance to give it back. Funny how you remember the good days, mind you I remember some shockers too 😬

• Like 2

Seems you were right about the blood spinning still being legal and available newmarket. 

HRNZ rule 1004 k seems to cover it,which says they can do it if done by a vet and at least 8 days prior to racing.Also trainers can't store it,not sure whether setting up company at another address had anything to do with that.

An example of one legal purpose, is for the vet to give it via a nebulizer and say it is for the treatment of respiratory bleeding.

Just an example of how stables with owners happy to pay vet bills, can use treatments legally to increase performance. All done while operating within the rules. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Seems you were right about the blood spinning still being legal and available newmarket. 

HRNZ rule 1004 k seems to cover it,which says they can do it if done by a vet and at least 8 days prior to racing.Also trainers can't store it,not sure whether setting up company at another address had anything to do with that.

An example of one legal purpose, is for the vet to give it via a nebulizer and say it is for the treatment of respiratory bleeding.

Just an example of how stables with owners happy to pay vet bills, can use treatments legally to increase performance. All done while operating within the rules. 

I told you about 10 days ago you were wrong about the blood spinning.

43 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I told you about 10 days ago you were wrong about the blood spinning.

The only time i have mentioned blood spinning was on this thread where i had earlier said i didn't think it was legal anymore.Now i have clarified that.

No idea what you mean when you say you told me something 10 days ago about blood spinning.I have not been thinking of blood spinning nor mentioned it..Maybe you thought when i referred to blood work and treatments i was referring to blood spinning. If you think i thought blood spinning may have caused the telfer horse deaths then you are way off what i have been thinking. Who knows what you mean or what you are referring to.

Edited by the galah

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Newmarket said:

Well, 

Get on those Purdon nags tonight. The moneys up, watch them have hard runs and win in fast times, unload

My opinion is it didn't happen last night. The stable won a couple of really good races,and the team all went well in the other races,however there was no boost to performance from the recent racing and the horses ran and were driven in a manner that made no attempt to factor in an advantage of having superior stamina to anyone else.  Last year cup day was when the form improved,so will be interesting to see this year.

Other things of note last night were again the dominance of horses who got to the fence in the 1980 races.The 2600m races are always the best races for excitement,yet we always get large numbers of these 1980 races dominated by those drawn to lead.Only when you get races like the last race last night,where the couple of horses had a significant advantage on recent form over the others,do you see a horse capable of overcoming a bad draw.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, the galah said:

My opinion is it didn't happen last night. The stable won a couple of really good races,and the team all went well in the other races,however there was no boost to performance from the recent racing and the horses ran and were driven in a manner that made no attempt to factor in an advantage of having superior stamina to anyone else. 

A great exhibition of driving last night . by all the stables.  

Many favoured runners using the benefit of stablemates to advantage. 

All AmericanLover -BD Joe combo. Republican Party got nice trip courtesy of Invitation Only. 

Sinbad-Sherlock.  The Halberg -  Southern Diamond combo was excellent. Akuta- Franco Mac.

4 Quinellas right there amongst that lot. 

Best staying performance ? probably Don't Stop Dreaming ? 2nd from the bad alley draw.

Best Performance ? Muscle Mountain !!  put him in the Interdominion surely? He'd win It easy.

• Like 1

The don't stop dreaming race was a bit of a joke as far as a spectacle.

A $200,000 race and they just walked around then ran a fast last 400m. Not one driver had pulled out of their position to improve as they swung for home.

Its was like no one was trying except the first 3 or 4.Putting such big stakes on for races where the drivers seem resigned to just following them around for practice seems a waste of stakemoney. Even tim williams,normally a great driver,just elected to follow the horse drawn 1 who had little chance,effectively putting his horse in a position where it had no chance to place.

Muscle mountain was a wonderful performance. Its unusual to think ben hope would outdrive john dunn,but for whatever reason dunn elected to sit in the running line and Hope chose to move as the pace slackened. Muscle mountain,sundees son and bolt for brilliance are 3 great horses who have a significant advantage over every other open class trotter. Given they are all off the front in the dominion,you would think maybe the connections of other open class trotters would be in for a thrashing if they line up. Last year Mark Purdon made a wise choice with oscar bonevena and ended up with a win on show day in a supporting race,maybe one or two more may do the same this year.

I thought the most exciting race was the last,where riveered had dropped back in grade ,but had a wide draw,and with no gate speed was always going to be vulnerable. As matt cross said,it was one of those brilliant tactical c j defilippi drives we used to see in years gone by that pulled off the win for bob butt and happy places connections,,with riveered  a very gallant 3rd.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Without me upsetting Gammalite, this must be the worst NZ cup carnival for the Purdons. Yes I know couple of hot picks have won, but overall average

It's the Group 1's that are the prime plums in most people's opinion. 

Nz Cup day last Tuesday, had 3 of them BIG Group 1's... Allstars won 2 of them (a quinella in the Sires Stakes that they won for a staggering 8th time/year In a row.  

The other Group 1 , their 3 horses ran exceptionally well for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. great stuff.

The first 2 home in the Cup being near the best 2 horses in Oz and Nz. 

I'd say without being upset. Certainly not the 'worst' Cup day. In fact Extremely Good result and am sure their owners are very happy once again. Can't wait for Millwood Nike today . Yet another Group 1 in the Bag !!!! get on it matey. money for jam.🍯

It's the Group 1's that are the prime plums in most people's opinion. 

Nz Cup day last Tuesday, had 3 of them BIG Group 1's... Allstars won 2 of them (a quinella in the Sires Stakes that they won for a staggering 8th time/year In a row.  

The other Group 1 , their 3 horses ran exceptionally well for 3rd, 4th, and 5th. great stuff.

The first 2 home in the Cup being near the best 2 horses in Oz and Nz. 

I'd say without being upset. Certainly not the 'worst' Cup day. In fact Extremely Good result and am sure their owners are very happy once again. Can't wait for Millwood Nike today . Yet another Group 1 in the Bag !!!! get on it matey. money for jam.🍯

Good luck with Millwood Nike, no way will I be betting on it. 

Reason being, regardless of what you say, stable is performing far less than usual. Those that have won have had great runs in transit, not saying they are not good horses, but would have struggled to win without gun run. 

Previous years, their horses could sit parked, 3 wide and absolutely kick their heads in, not now. 

One reason you should be wary with millwood Mike, if it doesn’t get round easy, will struggle to win

26 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

One reason you should be wary with millwood Mike, if it doesn’t get round easy, will struggle to win

One reason I like her is she could be the next ADORE ME. (and is bettor than BETTOR TWIST)

Both those were Multiple Group 1 winners for Allstars too !! well done Mark Purdon (and Hayden)

Just now, Gammalite said:

One reason I like her is she could be the next ADORE ME. (and is bettor than BETTOR TWIST)

Both those were Multiple Group 1 winners for Allstars too !! well done Mark Purdon (and Hayden)

Fair enough, had great run and well driven. Kailua Flybyes run unbelievable, 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, Newmarket said:

Well…. Once again the money is up and the team go unbelievable. 

No Matter Wat, wow. No doubt Gammalite will just say these horses are primed for the day, rest will just think the blood has improved 😆

Don't worry mate , I think they're primed for the year.(and beyond)  Is unbelievable the races Allstars wins. as you have seen. 

As a kid I watched Roy and Barry Purdon win All sorts of races like that . Owen was a great driver too . Mark had the bloodlines to be a champ . Natalie Rasmussen did all the hard yards here in QLD and developed the BEST horse the State and InterDominion has ever seen ever ever. Impressive beyond belief. No blood problem with any of those guys?  some folk are actually just good at racing , training and driving Harness horses !!!!! 

Lap it up , instead of shoot it down . I worked with Vinnie Knight for a while. An Incredible 'Will To Win' and dedication to the task and won plenty to go with the effort. Bloods were good too !!! And people enjoyed it . Don't miss out .

Don't worry mate , I think they're primed for the year.(and beyond)  Is unbelievable the races Allstars wins. as you have seen. 

As a kid I watched Roy and Barry Purdon win All sorts of races like that . Owen was a great driver too . Mark had the bloodlines to be a champ . Natalie Rasmussen did all the hard yards here in QLD and developed the BEST horse the State and InterDominion has ever seen ever ever. Impressive beyond belief. No blood problem with any of those guys?  some folk are actually just good at racing , training and driving Harness horses !!!!! 

Lap it up , instead of shoot it down . I worked with Vinnie Knight for a while. An Incredible 'Will To Win' and dedication to the task and won plenty to go with the effort. Bloods were good too !!! And people enjoyed it . Don't miss out .

What many of us do not understand Gamma is just how one stable is so much better than all the others.

Yes professional, plenty of owners with the money but just the performances of their horses is light years ahead of all other trainers apart from Telfers and Dunns.

Why hasnt Ken Barron won so much more when Blair Orange went there?

He is an intelligent guy and must know how to train from spending years at AllStars?