Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

Recommended Posts

Hawke’s Bay Meeting Abandoned Saturday

After continual overnight rain on a water-logged surface a track inspection by stewards and track management was undertaken this morning. More rain is forecast. As a result the Hawke’s Bay meeting scheduled for today has been abandoned. More information to follow in terms of any rescheduling.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How come they canned Woodville prior to the race day but have to wait till race day to abandon Hastings when the forecast for Hastings was worse than going into the Woodville meeting , and they had plenty of warning that there was plenty of rain coming .

Also were no options of moving the meeting explored i.e. Otaki meeting could have been held at Hastings on Thursday and Hastings run at Otaki today where the forecast was no where as bad , in fact i'd be surprised if it was worse than S7 today , already been down to Manakau this morning and they didn't get much last night .

This meeting has been xfered to Otaki once before , Irish Rover winning the G1 for Eddie Carson .

Just another case of no foresight or maybe just a lack of caring .  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And now a little nudge at the TAB , Hastings was having Bonus Bets on every race , when it was abandoned how hard would it be to xfer this over to all races at Riccarton instead of just sticking with the first 4 races . Can't be that hard surely .

Everything in our racing seems to be done in ultra slow motion , but i ask the question again , is it just a lack of caring .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, nomates said:

And now a little nudge at the TAB , Hastings was having Bonus Bets on every race , when it was abandoned how hard would it be to xfer this over to all races at Riccarton instead of just sticking with the first 4 races . Can't be that hard surely .

Everything in our racing seems to be done in ultra slow motion , but i ask the question again , is it just a lack of caring .

TABNZ and NZTR no longer seem to work weekend racedays.

Link to post
Share on other sites

MEETING NEWS

Hawke’s Bay G1 and G2 races

The intention is to re-schedule the Arrowfield Stud Plate and AHD Hawke’s Bay Guineas to next weekend. A final decision on this will be made in the next 48 hours. There will also be enhancement to the stakes of the undercard races (excluding maidens) at both the Egmont and Matamata meetings.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

MEETING NEWS

Hawke’s Bay G1 and G2 races

The intention is to re-schedule the Arrowfield Stud Plate and AHD Hawke’s Bay Guineas to next weekend. A final decision on this will be made in the next 48 hours. There will also be enhancement to the stakes of the undercard races (excluding maidens) at both the Egmont and Matamata meetings.  

Yes I see the group races are going to next weekend, but no mention of where exactly. May be going to Timaru, probably the only place you could get a firm track.  On that subject you do wonder whether Riccarton really needed to do several days of irrigating prior to today's meeting.

I'm not a fan of this obsession for boosting stakes of supporting races for a following meeting when a meeting gets abandoned. They think everything is about the money. It doesn't seem to occur to them there are 10 less races for jockeys to win and 10 less for trainers. And if next week's stakes get boosted presumably the horses that were going to race today front up for them and some of the horses that were going to race for reasonable stakes next week miss out altogether.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doomed said:

I'm not a fan of this obsession for boosting stakes of supporting races for a following meeting when a meeting gets abandoned. They think everything is about the money. It doesn't seem to occur to them there are 10 less races for jockeys to win and 10 less for trainers. And if next week's stakes get boosted presumably the horses that were going to race today front up for them and some of the horses that were going to race for reasonable stakes next week miss out altogether.

I agree it is a crap way of funding stakeholders.  Instead of increasing the stakes why not compensate those who were disadvantaged by today's abandonment.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's stop being kind shall we? face it, there are fuckwits involved here, and good grassroots people suffer accordingly. It should be called out for what it is, sheer fuckwuitism and incompetence.

How many decent buggers have buggered off into the sunset, yet these yobbos keep their high paid jobs.......wouldn't happen in any other industry.

  • Like 2
  • Champ Post 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Let's stop being kind shall we? face it, there are fuckwits involved here, and good grassroots people suffer accordingly. It should be called out for what it is, sheer fuckwuitism and incompetence.

How many decent buggers have buggered off into the sunset, yet these yobbos keep their high paid jobs.......wouldn't happen in any other industry.

You're on to it. Anyway NZRT will be told to take the races to Matamata next week. Love to be proved wrong on that.

  • Like 4
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doomed said:

Yes I see the group races are going to next weekend, but no mention of where exactly.

Hawera or Matamata , i would suggest the northern trainers who had travelled already and stayed overnight will be pushing for Matamata for less travel , and you can't blame them , some foresight would have prevented this . 

Te Akau are already looking at keeping Imeratriz here now rather than travel to Sydney , so my money would be on Matamata .

If they split them and run one at each meeting would be stupidity , they would be splitting the best jockeys , but stand by , stupidity could be on the way . 

Either way it hurts the main races at each meeting , the mares race at Hawera and the Matamata cup .

Going to be interesting .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, nomates said:

Hawera or Matamata , i would suggest the northern trainers who had travelled already and stayed overnight will be pushing for Matamata for less travel , and you can't blame them , some foresight would have prevented this . 

Te Akau are already looking at keeping Imeratriz here now rather than travel to Sydney , so my money would be on Matamata .

If they split them and run one at each meeting would be stupidity , they would be splitting the best jockeys , but stand by , stupidity could be on the way . 

Either way it hurts the main races at each meeting , the mares race at Hawera and the Matamata cup .

Going to be interesting .

Stupidity 1-50, anything else, write your own ticket.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, curious said:

I don't see why not

It would certainly be unusual to have a group 1 mile and listed mile on the same card, and a group two 3yo 1,400m and another 3yo 1,400m.  Should be easy pickings for the 2nd tier horses who don't want to go for the big money. You would imagine they will have to drop the two races already on the card that clash. That's probably why its taking them a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They would have had mostly separate fields anyway though wouldn't they being only a week apart?

The Arrowfield is wfa and the Matamata Cup a Hdcp. I don't see a problem.

Edited by curious
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, curious said:

They would have had mostly separate fields anyway though wouldn't they being only a week apart?

The Arrowfield is wfa and the Matamata Cup a Hdcp. I don't see a problem.

I agree , the thing that might change the minds of some connections will be track conditions , the forecast next week is looking good so possibly a good track as against what would have been a tough heavy today will change some plans .

As for the Gns race , there will still be 3yo's that might not be ready for a G2 race so will still be looking for a softer option so i believe they should run the lesser race so that the horses that don't make or don't want to run in the the Gns have a backstop , because a lot more will nominate with it being at Matamata and the better track , Mark Walker said this morning that if it was at Matamata then he could possibly have 5/6 in it .

57 minutes ago, Doomed said:

. You would imagine they will have to drop the two races already on the card that clash. That's probably why its taking them a while.

They shouldn't just automatically drop these races as there will be horses that will have been prepared for those races , not their problem that todays races were lost , it's something we don't do well , work it for all to be catered for . As said above there is no reason that either of these races will be hurt by today's races being added next week .

I'm going up so looking forward to a big day .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Group feature races from Hastings now to be run at Matamata

 

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

NZTR

2 October 2022

The continued wet weather in Hawke's Bay unfortunately resulted in the abandonment of Saturday's Arrowfield Stud Plate (G1) Raceday. While this was a very difficult decision, a waterlogged track and continual forecast rain meant racing would not have been able to be safely held. The Hastings track has had continual rain over the past couple of months but had come back well over the past week although the Moisture meter remained high, indicating the level of moisture under the surface. 

 

The track had only had 3ml of rain by 6pm on Friday evening, which was much lower than had been previously forecast. However, with 17ml of rain falling over Friday night, a Track Inspection was carried out at 6.30am Saturday by John Oatham (RIB), Brady Jones (RIB), Darin Balcombe (NZTR) and Richard Fenwick (HBRI Track Manager) along with other HBRI Club Officials. Two horses galloped with senior riders aboard, which were getting well into the track. During the inspection, it continued to rain and the forecast was for this rain to continue throughout the morning. A further 8ml was recorded by 10am. The decision to abandon the raceday was made prior to the scratching deadline to avoid as many horses as possible travelling.

 

Prior to the raceday, contingencies had been discussed, including postponing a meeting to Tuesday should either of the Central Districts racedays be abandoned over the weekend due to the inclement forecast in the region. Postponing Saturday's Hastings meeting to Tuesday was quickly discounted due to the forecast through to the early part of next week. Consideration was also given to transferring the meeting to another Central Districts venue but due to travel of horses, race distances, other options and indifferent weather forecast across the Central Districts, this was not preferred.

 

After consulting with the Pattern Committee and considering submissions made by Hawke’s Bay Racing to move the AHD Hawke's Bay Guineas to Saturday 15 October, the decision was made this morning to transfer the Arrowfield Stud Plate to Matamata this coming Saturday, to avoid the bulk of horses having to travel two weeks in a row. In our view, this would provide the best chance for horses not only in the Arrowfield Stud Plate but also those looking to back up into the Livamol Classic on October 15 at Hastings. The AHD Hawke’s Bay Guineas will also be run at Matamata on this day to give the 3yos the opportunity to head to Te Rapa for the Sarten Memorial on October 22 to continue their path towards the Al Basti Equiworld Dubai 50th NZ 2000 Guineas at Riccarton in early November. The current pressure on the pattern ratings of our 3 three year old races was a key consideration in this decision. 

 

The option of splitting the Matamata and Egmont meetings over next weekend along with running both feature races at Hawera, were also considered but were discounted due to logistics and travel.

 

The advertised programs for Egmont & Matamata will remain unchanged with the addition of the Arrowfield Stud Plate and the AHD Hawke’s Bay Guineas at Matamata. Nominations for both races will be reopened with preference given to those horses originally accepted for both the Arrowfield Stud Plate & AHD Hawkes Bay Guineas. There will be an additional $50,000 of stakesmoney added to the undercards of both the Matamata and Egmont meetings, with a $30,000 MAAT 1200m race also to be added to the Waverley program on Thursday, to reflect the lost opportunities for participants as a result of the abandonment of the Hastings meeting. 

 

Whilst with any decision there will be differing views as to whether the correct course of action was taken, priority was given to keeping the status of the respective feature races and keeping pathways open for future targets.

 

Darin Balcombe

 

Chief Operating Officer

 

NZTR

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huey said:

50-75mm rainfall in last 7 days according to metservice , would that be right? How can a track not handle that?

I agree.

A nice big essay from the new COO position but something doesn't quite add up.

The track being heavy doesn't mean it is unsafe.  As they said they galloped two horses before scratching time and they "went well into it".  So obviously no slipping therefore the only safety reason must have been surface water surely?

Did key trainers indicate they would scratch if the track was heavy?

Has remedial work been done recently and it is still vulnerable to damage?  Are they saving it for later in the season?

Were they unduly influenced by the trainers of the elite 3yr olds?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I agree.

A nice big essay from the new COO position but something doesn't quite add up.

The track being heavy doesn't mean it is unsafe.  As they said they galloped two horses before scratching time and they "went well into it".  So obviously no slipping therefore the only safety reason must have been surface water surely?

Did key trainers indicate they would scratch if the track was heavy?

Has remedial work been done recently and it is still vulnerable to damage?  Are they saving it for later in the season?

Were they unduly influenced by the trainers of the elite 3yr olds?

Funny how they managed to run a meeting @ Woodville the following day with no safety issues and thats not that far up the line. They were never going to run Hastings in the wet. More group races lost from the central districts. Hate to be racing a horse there at the moment. Excuse my ignorance but why couldnt they put an extra meeting on or held over to the Monday.  Sounds like a lot of spin going on here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Assange said:

Funny how they managed to run a meeting @ Woodville the following day with no safety issues and thats not that far up the line. They were never going to run Hastings in the wet. More group races lost from the central districts. Hate to be racing a horse there at the moment. Excuse my ignorance but why couldnt they put an extra meeting on or held over to the Monday.  Sounds like a lot of spin going on here.

If spin was an olympic sport that mob would be Shane Warne's.......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...