Bit Of A Yarn

Geoff small, what's he up to now?

Hey John.  Geoff is enjoying "not being actively" involved in harness racing, but does watch the racing. He is working for IRT, and assisting when needed loading and unloading the horses on the planes.  Their daughter is heavily involved in Show Jumping and is doing extremely well. 

But I agree, Geoff's involvement is missed.  Not without detractors, each year he would consistently come up with horses to compete against the best..and never with unlimited budgets at the yearling sales.

images.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Champ Post 2

On 10/2/2022 at 6:19 PM, Blackie said:

Last I heard HJ, Geoff was throwing passenger bags around Auckland Airport. 
Top bloke Geoffrey, self made from a tough upbringing in Chch. Never took a backward step, gotta respect that.

Never knew he was a mainlander? I knew a family from school,  but no Geoff.  Thanks 

Well seems he was a quality Trainer . Saw him once in Tassie when there with Blacks A Fake and he was giving Blackie a hard time with WINFORU. who went very well . and placed again the following year (2nd) in Adelaide. Also pushed hard with CHANGEOVER not long after that.....

wonder why he (Small) gave up then ? was doing well.

Nz Trainer Tim Butt also placed in those Interdominion's with Happy Asset, Foreal and Tribute behind Blackie. A very similar quality Trainer. Now training out of Brisbane !! Tim still getting established and racing stock owned by Ant's and driven by son Riley . What a great team !!!!!

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

wonder why he (Small) gave up then ? was doing well

I remember he had some kind of controversy at one stage but can’t remember what it was over.   Not sure but I think he may have done quite well financially selling his training establishment.  Easier than making money training horses.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, With A Dream said:

I remember he had some kind of controversy at one stage but can’t remember what it was over.   Not sure but I think he may have done quite well financially selling his training establishment.  Easier than making money training horses.  

No doubt he could train and  had an eye for a good horse,but he had many controversies.

Multiple positives...team driving charges...scratching his team just before the races were due to start supposedly on advice from his vet,poor behavior in the judicial setting. You can't rewrite history.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

No doubt he could train and  had an eye for a good horse,but he had many controversies.

Multiple positives...team driving charges...scratching his team just before the races were due to start supposedly on advice from his vet,poor behavior in the judicial setting. You can't rewrite history.

He was picked on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Keep working on it Galah.  By the time you are finished there will be no one in the game.

May as well have Gypsy pony races with a sneaky bookie on the side.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Keep working on it Galah.  By the time you are finished there will be no one in the game.

The facts are the facts. He got a heap of publicity around it. Did you have your head in the sand back then as well and miss it?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:32 PM, the galah said:

The facts are the facts. He got a heap of publicity around it. Did you have your head in the sand back then as well and miss it?

It was a witch hunt and the stipes are still at it - most non professional rule enforcement group in the NZ. Dead body movers ! 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, LongOwner said:

It was a witch hunt and the stipes are still at it - most non professional rule enforcement group in the NZ. Dead body movers ! 

So much is a witch hunt to you.When and if there was actually such a thing,no one would take any notice of the witch hunt claims, as they would have heard it so many times before.

Like the girl who cried wolf.

1 hour ago, hunterthepunter said:

people get jealous when you have nice horses like small had

You have no understanding of what drives my comments if you think jealousy is a factor in anything i say.

What drives my comments is a sense of being taken for a mug. Well i'm not and i will tell you i'm not.

Retaining punter confidence is a critical factor when it comes to the prosperity of the industry,and everyone who makes a living from it.

All the punter expects is for each horse to be driven on its merits.

In this case we are talking about a very talented trainer who when it came to the crunch,delivered one of the most obvious cases of improper driving seen,all to assist another horse from his stable to win.That  to me defined his career and what he thought he was entitled to do to achieve victory.

In effect he gave every punter,and rival trainers in that race the middle  finger.

Sometimes i wonder whether being on a chat site like this is a good thing for me,as its like groundhog day so often. There are those who believe certain things are acceptable to achieve victory,then there are others like myself who believe there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I look at this thread and to me,if you are going to remember the  good about someone,and there was no doubting Small was talented,then you should also be honest and have perspective about all his contribution to harness racing.That includes what he did to cause joe public and other licenceholders to think harness racing had an element of dishonesty. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, the galah said:

So much is a witch hunt to you.When and if there was actually such a thing,no one would take any notice of the witch hunt claims, as they would have heard it so many times before.

Like the girl who cried wolf.

You have no understanding of what drives my comments if you think jealousy is a factor in anything i say.

What drives my comments is a sense of being taken for a mug. Well i'm not and i will tell you i'm not.

Retaining punter confidence is a critical factor when it comes to the prosperity of the industry,and everyone who makes a living from it.

All the punter expects is for each horse to be driven on its merits.

In this case we are talking about a very talented trainer who when it came to the crunch,delivered one of the most obvious cases of improper driving seen,all to assist another horse from his stable to win.That  to me defined his career and what he thought he was entitled to do to achieve victory.

In effect he gave every punter,and rival trainers in that race the middle  finger.

Sometimes i wonder whether being on a chat site like this is a good thing for me,as its like groundhog day so often. There are those who believe certain things are acceptable to achieve victory,then there are others like myself who believe there is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

I look at this thread and to me,if you are going to remember the  good about someone,and there was no doubting Small was talented,then you should also be honest and have perspective about all his contribution to harness racing.That includes what he did to cause joe public and other licenceholders to think harness racing had an element of dishonesty. 

The dead body moving was 100% stipe behaviour,  and some are still there with no charges laid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LongOwner said:

The dead body moving was 100% stipe behaviour,  and some are still there with no charges laid. 

I get that maybe it could be said that i focus too much on a certain aspect of a great sport,but thats just part of how i feel sometimes. And i understand you must have reasons for your focus and how you feel as well about certain things. 

But this thing you keep raising above,i just think you are somehow going somewhere where it just doesn't seem appropriate.  If that is what you have to refer to,to make a point,then maybe the merit of your overall argument isn't as strong as you think.That would be my comment to you.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

5 hours ago, the galah said:

In this case we are talking about a very talented trainer who when it came to the crunch,delivered one of the most obvious cases of improper driving seen,all to assist another horse from his stable to win.

Hi Galah

Can you elaborate on this, when & what race?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Hi Galah

Can you elaborate on this, when & what race?

The one he got put out for improper driving. I think it was pocket baileyship,or something like that that he drove. The final of a sales stakes race,that from memory they covered on mainstream tv. Did involve changeover i think,So many good things he could have been remembered for ,but the thing i thought he is most remembered for.At least thats what i thought.

Edited by the galah

On 6/10/2022 at 4:40 PM, Chief Stipe said:

Those who aren't stuck in 1980 know that "Gypsy pony races with a sneaky bookie on the side" is exactly what we'll end up with if racing doesn't clean up its act.

Small was a very talented trainer who opted to sail close to the wind and was nabbed on multiple occasions. That not only sunk him, but also did great damage to the reputation of NZ racing.

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 2

51 minutes ago, the galah said:

The one he got put out for improper driving. I think it was pocket baileyship,or something like that that he drove. The final of a sales stakes race

yes , this stuff looks quite bad indeed from a Nz Newspaper............

Prominent harness racing trainer Geoff Small has been fined a total of $18,000 and lost his harness driver's license for four months.

Small, of south Auckland, has also been ordered to pay costs of $9700 by the Judicial Control Authority (JCA), which today released its decisions into five charges against him, some dating back two years. The JCA sat in Auckland last month and heard charges that included one of misconduct relating to Small's behaviour towards Alexandra Park veterinarian Ivan Bridge in October, 2008.

Some of the charges dated back two years, with one involving a positive test to caffeine being returned by his star pacer Changeover after he won the Sires' Stakes Final.

Another charge was improper driving on Pocket Baileyship. Stewards alleged Small moved off the markers while trailing in a 2006 race at Alexandra Park, allowing stablemate Changeover to improve his position. Changeover won that race.

Small contested the charges but the JCA ruled against him today.

• Like 1