NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Tabcorp??

Newmarket

I just wonder. 

Did Winston know Messara from way back? He seems to love him, and for Winnie, he doesnt love too many? 

Messara was very vocal on the $11 bil Tatts - Tabcorp merger? Be interesting to know who has shares in Tabcorp. 

The Ofarrell Aus gambling report, states no live betting allowed in aus, if tabcorp takes over nz tab, will nz have to change its betting laws to aus standards? 

Where does that leave other operators in nz, will they be allowed to operate?? Will Tabcorp try to be the exclusive operator in nz, which again punters would be held to ransom by aus??? 

Tabcorp was behind failed Sunbets, piegate helped that to fail. 

I agree we should team up with aus operator, but we still need nz control. This could kill us in the long term. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

43 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

The rule of thumb with outsourcing is don't outsource the management of a key strategic function.

Yes, but tabcorp see that nz tab have monopoly, they would love that to be able to continue  in nz. Which  they would have total control. I would hate to see no other competition in nz, but i reckon tabcorp would try and push aus betting regulations on nz, which would be a disaster for punters. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

An Australian operator taking over the NZ TAB would be the best thing for the most important people in racing, THE PUNTER. The first thing that would happen is, the takeout rate would fall into line with Australian TAB's, and the return to the punter would be greater. Can't wait.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

An Australian operator taking over the NZ TAB would be the best thing for the most important people in racing, THE PUNTER. The first thing that would happen is, the takeout rate would fall into line with Australian TAB's, and the return to the punter would be greater. Can't wait.

At first glance i agree. 

But if Tabcorp have little competition here, and manage to stop other operators, why would they change takeout rates? 

Its obvious this Messara report is all about making money, they dont appear to give a stuff how they do it. 

They will want nz to also work to aus betting regulations, if they do, you can say goodbye to live betting in nz. 

NZ HAVE TO KEEP CONTROL OF THIS!! 

• Champ Post 1

8 minutes ago, curious said:

Why? They've completely fucked that up for decades?

Surely time to give someone else a go?

Yes, i think we all agree they have stuffed up, but i am worried that nz will fold easily like a pack of cards, and the real winners will be tabcorp and their shareholders. 

• Champ Post 1

Problem is they will control the lot, and we will end up in 20 years with 2 purpose built a.w tracks,  one North island, one South island, greyhounds inside, trots Middle, Gallops on the outside course, they can then feed the Australian market everyday from 10am aus time (midday our time) to get every Penny out of the addict Aussie gambler, Wall to Wall racing ....and what great names will they call these new tracks? Mmm Tabcorp Park! ...Just a theory, but on reflection I would prefer us to have control ...so I can enjoy my fush and chups!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, curious said:

Maybe buy some then?

Your missing obvious points . 

Whoever takes over wagering will also take control of nz racing timetables etc. Will they want meetings starting at 10am on a sat, will they not show live races from nz because they clash with aussie racing? Talk around is one tv channel only, covering all aus/ nz racing. 

What happens if tabcorp, or whoever takes over, finds they are not making enough money for shareholders, well of course they pull out, its known they only have 3 yr contract. 

You have to look at this more closely

13 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Problem is they will control the lot, and we will end up in 20 years with 2 purpose built a.w tracks,  one North island, one South island, greyhounds inside, trots Middle, Gallops on the outside course, they can then feed the Australian market everyday from 10am aus time (midday our time) to get every Penny out of the addict Aussie gambler, Wall to Wall racing ....and what great names will they call these new tracks? Mmm Tabcorp Park! ...Just a theory, but on reflection I would prefer us to have control ...so I can enjoy my fush and chups!!!

Problem being while you're enjoying your chups and fush the owners of your domestic horses will be racing for 5K if they are lucky, probably much less, so it will be picnic racing at best, with no tv coverage......cos you can't afford it.....sad reality. We have an animated horse racing game here available in clubs and pubs, called Trackside......the revenue from that assists prize money, no one has addressed that at NZRB...nor did Winston, it wasn't pointed out to him ......that's how the stakes in NSW were boosted, the State Gov paid about 300 million for the with 120 mill up front if STC and AJC merged, and the rights to the trackside game were handed over to the Gov.....hope this helps....

50 minutes ago, Rowley Mile said:

Problem being while you're enjoying your chups and fush the owners of your domestic horses will be racing for 5K if they are lucky, probably much less, so it will be picnic racing at best, with no tv coverage......cos you can't afford it.....sad reality. We have an animated horse racing game here available in clubs and pubs, called Trackside......the revenue from that assists prize money, no one has addressed that at NZRB...nor did Winston, it wasn't pointed out to him ......that's how the stakes in NSW were boosted, the State Gov paid about 300 million for the with 120 mill up front if STC and AJC merged, and the rights to the trackside game were handed over to the Gov.....hope this helps....

Thanks Rowley, you are of course quite right in the sad light of day, it's all at people's fingertips now!

I must be getting old I hate change!

Cheers

Des

• Like 1

It's really sad Des, the people who were placed in charge of NZ Racing ruined it, you have that Glenda H and Alan J still in their positions, no resignations, so they either just don't get it, or are so arrogant that they wont go anywhere....if you start the cull at the top, some confidence will ensue, then continue the cull on a performance based dissection, soon a saving of some 20 mil will appear, then those charged with the great resurrection will be seen to be pro-active......then and only then will there be hope.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

look at the great job the Aussie have done at running our banks.

Boot the racing board, let the codes control their own destiny(with an urgent change in the way they are elected) slash the takeout rates and lets see if that can ease the squeeze.  The reduced takeouts will have a dramatic effect for a start.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mumbles said:

To be fair the Aussie Banks have done well for their shareholders including many NZers.

They have also mired themselves in plenty of controversy both here and there.  Anyone who thinks the banks are there to help you out is a little deluded

A Bank Manager - the sort of bloke who would lend you his umbrella.  But the minute it starts raining he wants it back again.

Aussie bookies aren't like that are they???  it will be a big big big punt to find out without making a proper fist of trying to fix our own problems first. Course like the man said once its gone there ain't no coming back!  You will find that out when the NZ Derby gets dropped on the tele for the second leg at the Healesville greyhounds.

• Like 1

That article makes a good point actually - what protection would there be to ensure Tab Corp pays out the appropriate percentage on all NZ betting?  Who says they will pay on Aussie's betting on NZ racing or Kiwis betting on Aussie racing or Kiwis or Aussie's betting on NZ sport.  I don't trust the Aussie's and am wary about letting the fox into the fowl house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

More sports are getting worried, 

3CC7BE60-3357-45FC-B319-B2A4707604B6.jpeg

question is would it be important enough for Robertson to risk the coalition agreement if Winston throws his toys.  From what I hear Winston's supporters  are owed a bit for more than racing and if that is right he cannot risk letting them down.

Seriously...hands off socks...wtf has read the report??

This sports betting stuff is taken care of in Section 57...

These sports dudes piggy backed on the Racing industry..

providing them with the ready made TAB...and now they think they own it ffs...

...and they can't be f'ed reading the report

If there is going to be a review of the state of the TAB and the option of privatising, then everything should come to the table. There is nothing owed to horse racing - the TAB is a government asset. Sports would be well advised to present their case for race field styles fees for betting on their events. 

• Like 1