Bit Of A Yarn

Field of Poppies: The Usual Suspects Get It Wrong Again!

7 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

You do realise the massive difference between racing and breaking in speeds?

Lots of horses will steer differently on Raceday from how they train at home. 
While a horse can be ruined while breaking in the majority of issues are caused by going round and round on the training tracks. This is where your straight line training comes in. The scandinavians led the way with this . Many trainers train the other way round but horses can still pick up bad habits especially on the bends. Soreness from repetitive training is also a factor . Breeding can be a factor also. You see many horses by the same dire wearing the same gear. 

I sure what you say are important factors and you know your stuff,but also some trainers  are known to have a lot of horses with the same gear on and other trainers are known not to. You can get that with trainers who train on the same track.I'm not talking spreaders or the like,im talking gear like boring poles and prickers. There must be a reason for that,and i think what the chief has said can be a factor.

I haven't had many broken in by other trainers,but what i have found on the whole  is those who broke in the horses in a short period of time,didn't do as good a job as those who took their time. I may have been cheaper to get it done quicker,but you are better to pay someone who does a good job,because bad habits picked up when a horse is broken  in  can be a factor in what gear,if any they use later on.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 9:54 AM, Chief Stipe said:

I see the usual mob of @Happy Sunrise, @JJ Flash, @Karrotsisback and others have got it wrong again with Tim Williams Field of Poppies drive.

Although Williams pleaded guilty (as many others are doing because the Stipes get it wrong and come down harder if you don't plead guilty) he did have a good excuse.  

If you look closely you will see the horse is struggling to stay on the back of the horse it is trailing I.e. making no progress.  You will also see that there is a Murphy Blind on the horse which is blocking its view.  The moment Williams switches back the horses sees competition and gets back on the bit.  Then it runs out of racing room.  I guess the punters option was to stay where it was and possibly not run a place.

It is a shame that we now see many top drivers without much confidence in the judicial system.

Tim Williams is a credit to NZ trots.i take my hat off to you Tim on how much he improved as a driver into one of the best.i did jokingly nickname him the butcher boy but not at all now.to question his integrity is laughable as he always does his best and never came on my radar as a race fixer.tim has been well and truly been unfairly treated by these incompetent stewards coping two charges of incompetent driving and so many others should of got the same fate cough cough Mark Purdon amazing dream when beyond words won or for race fixing.so I feel for you Tim as you have well truly been picked on.keep driving them winners champ

• Champ Post 2

10 hours ago, Blossom lady said:

Is that the best you can come up with!

Apparently you have no idea as you couldn’t answer my original question. 
Do you even know what the holes are for?

Enlighten us all.  You appear to be a trainer and have extensive knowledge of Murphy Blinds.  Put us all right.

The facts that I've presented so far are:

1.  A Murphy Blind is used to restrict the vision of a horse to force a change in behaviour.  Namely to get it to keep its head straight.

2.  A Murphy Blind is only used on one side.  For obvious reasons you wouldn't want to completely blind your horse.

3.  The blind may or may not have a hole in the centre of the blind.  The hole gives limited vision in a restricted direction

4.  If there is a hole in the blind it can be of varying dimensions.

Anything you would like to add?

A horse not keeping its head straight may be a behavioural issue and or related to pain or injury.  The behavioural issue can arise from poor breaking in and or training.  In my opinion head gear is a quick fix that often doesn't work forever and often has unintended consequences.

On 16/01/2023 at 8:58 AM, Chief Stipe said:

Enlighten us all.  You appear to be a trainer and have extensive knowledge of Murphy Blinds.  Put us all right.

The facts that I've presented so far are:

1.  A Murphy Blind is used to restrict the vision of a horse to force a change in behaviour.  Namely to get it to keep its head straight.

2.  A Murphy Blind is only used on one side.  For obvious reasons you wouldn't want to completely blind your horse.

3.  The blind may or may not have a hole in the centre of the blind.  The hole gives limited vision in a restricted direction

4.  If there is a hole in the blind it can be of varying dimensions.

Anything you would like to add?

A horse not keeping its head straight may be a behavioural issue and or related to pain or injury.  The behavioural issue can arise from poor breaking in and or training.  In my opinion head gear is a quick fix that often doesn't work forever and often has unintended consequences.

You are getting closer to a certain degree. But blaming poor breaking in for what a horse wears at the races later in life is going too far. 

On 17/01/2023 at 10:17 PM, Blossom lady said:

You are getting closer to a certain degree. But blaming poor breaking in for what a horse wears at the races later in life is going too far. 

I've seen some of the best breakers in NZ in both codes.  When I bred and owned horses I made sure they went to the best.  Cost more but saved money in the long run.

None of those horses required head gear even though each had their own style that was outside what was considered the norm.  Further we sent a horse back to a breaker after a behavioural problem developed.

In my opinion needing to apply corrective gear AFTER breaking in by a good breaker and especially in later campaigns is due to physiological issues I.e. the horse is hurting somewhere.

If a horse likes racing, is healthy and tries then it doesn't need head gear.

"Training" a horse isn't just about getting it fit.  Anyone dumb barstard can tie a pole on a horse neck to keep it straight.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:42 AM, Forbury said:

Tim Williams is a credit to NZ trots.i take my hat off to you Tim on how much he improved as a driver into one of the best.i did jokingly nickname him the butcher boy but not at all now.to question his integrity is laughable as he always does his best and never came on my radar as a race fixer.tim has been well and truly been unfairly treated by these incompetent stewards coping two charges of incompetent driving and so many others should of got the same fate cough cough Mark Purdon amazing dream when beyond words won or for race fixing.so I feel for you Tim as you have well truly been picked on.keep driving them winners champ

Tim's from a great family.  I agree with everything you say. 

Hj

• Champ Post 1

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

I've seen some of the best breakers in NZ in both codes.  When I bred and owned horses I made sure they went to the best.  Cost more but saved money in the long run.

None of those horses required head gear even though each had their own style that was outside what was considered the norm.  Further we sent a horse back to a breaker after a behavioural problem developed.

In my opinion needing to apply corrective gear AFTER breaking in by a good breaker and especially in later campaigns is due to physiological issues I.e. the horse is hurting somewhere.

If a horse likes racing, is healthy and tries then it doesn't need head gear.

"Training" a horse isn't just about getting it fit.  Anyone dumb barstard can tie a pole on a horse neck to keep it straight.

I heard of a trainer tied barbed wire to the boring pole to stop it hanging.  It worked. 

Hj

• Sad 1

Tim Williams showed what a true champion world class driver today on Sam's town winning the cup with a sensational rated drive and he's shown this for the last few years and these incompadent cognitive impairment stewards have proven they don't know anything with there poor decisions or no decisions yes Steve malcay Vinnie Munro you two are standouts as being the worse.ben hope showed again how good he is today again.dangerous is a understatement.well done to sharee on her great two days good to see except if you were on fitth amendment