Bit Of A Yarn

Betting turnover on Addington tonight 7th sept

Arsenic

You would suspect a lot more to come out in the wash ,  I personally think this is an iceberg and we’re just watching the start of the meltdown.

Of course that’s only my opinion.

I won’t go there ever again , hard enough to pick a winner but when you put into the equation there deciding who wins sorry not for me.

Like I said I only had a budget of 100 to 150 a week but that amount may have been turned over 10 or 20 times in a week, so I’m only one but I’m sure there’s heaps more feel let down by the harness industry.

There are other options where you don’t have human intervention in the equation 

• Like 1

Guest CrossCodes

Not overkill at all Brodie. 

The police have clearly been gathering evidence for a long time before waiting to pounce, they obviously have a lot of information gathered and they haven't just arrested people for the sake of it.

Cheats and druggies deserve to have the boot put in, maybe you might be less forgiving if you were paying training fees for horses that were getting pulled up by the drivers and trainers involved with no prior knowledge.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Overkill.

Let us just see what transpired before we react!

Innocent until proven guilty I used to think, and here some are putting the boot into the very men that have kept the harness racing industry going in Canterbury.

Somehow i don"t think you've cottoned on to how we live in the moment and the significance of it all.   Guilty or not guilty,the damage has been done.,for the moment.    Why do you keep referring to people putting the boot in.Its all self inflicted, anyone  unbiased can see that.  Personally im surprised at who is involved, but humans are fallible.                                                     Its not the end of the world for them if they do get found guilty, They will bounce back down the track,,they will have no choice but too. The abilities that got them to the top doesn't just disappear.  Look at someone like Mcgrath,or purdon. The blue magic scandal was not that many years ago,it did change the perception of some forever, but they recovered.                             Whether betting turnover is effected long term will depend on whether confidence is restored by Hrnz , through transparency and the imposition of the proper penalties. This is actually a clear case of those in charge supporting the uncovering of illegal activity.That is a win for all those concerned.                     .                                                                                                     Brodie ,since you move in those circles,were you aware that drug use was so prevalent amongst licence holders? 

If these allegations are proven to be true then you would suspect that those involved better start looking for another job.

This is the betting public that they have been ripping off and one would think if you have anything left of your industry after these investigations then the last thing you would want is them doing time and them getting their license back.

If found guilty let them do the time and find something else in their lives to do .

If you want them back into the fold then harness will be finished.

You will never have the trust of the public and without the betting public your dead

• Champ Post 1

The drugs thing is interesting though.

There are drugs throughout society in big numbers I would say.

Dont personally need them but most get hooked and therefore they need help rather than putting the boot in.

If these drivers had them in their system when they were driving, then why hasn’t testing picked this up?

I can’t comment in regards to the race fixing and no one else should be until we know what has been actually happening.

I am a punter and as such I have taken the good with the bad.

Some of the drives on horses that I have backed seems like fraud when some drivers drive absolute shockers.

If all these charged drivers do get done, it is certainly going to change the harness landscape in Canterbury.

2 hours ago, CrossCodes said:

Cheats and druggies deserve to have the boot put in, maybe you might be less forgiving if you were paying training fees

A very pertinent point. Our syndicate manager has  kept in touch with us over this , and our trainer/s are just as shocked as anyone else.  But how many owners out there are now questioning their involvement in the Harness Industry and are filthy with the trainers/people involved. I personally would be spitting tacks if I was shelling out my hard earned cash just to see my horses performance compromised for some ill gotten gain without my knowledge.  Without owners you dont have horses running.

The damage to this side of the Industry could be catastrophic in regard to trust and integrity. Everyone now becomes a suspect in the publics eye. 

On 7/09/2018 at 12:32 PM, the galah said:

Guilty or not guilty,the damage has been done.,for the moment.    

and if the accused are in fact not guilty much damage will already have been done to them

the industry will continue to meander its way along no matter what

i am with my new found chum brodie on this

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Rangatira said:

and if they are found not guilty

they really should be allowed to ply their trade on a race course for the time being

Obviously the police and their legal advisors believe they have sufficient evidence.They don't lay charges if they don't think they have.

Its what we must currently rely on. Based on police actions it would be unfair to other industry participants and punters for them to be currently reinstated .

Can you point me to any declarations of innocence on the part of the accused .Its been about a week now. I haven't seen any as yet. They would have a good idea of what evidence the police have by now. its only one way traffic at the moment.  

The main defence we currently get from those who sympathize with the actions of those involved,  is reference to it happening in the past and criticism of the police using their resources to  target harness racing . Pathetic really. 

No ones saying those charged are bad people, quite the contrary ,just it appears they have made bad decisions, At the end of the day the consequences will outweigh the actual actions,   But its the integrity of the industry at stake, you cant let sympathy cloud your judgment.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 1

If some of people charged are found not guilty, then clearly they will be entitled to compensation for loss of income and for defamation!

Interesting day tomorrow but no doubt it will drag on  and on!

Our justice system is overloaded because of the time wasting and this is only to the benefit of lawyers etc.

Edited by Brodie

28 minutes ago, the galah said:

Obviously the police and their legal advisors believe they have sufficient evidence.They don't lay charges if they don't think they have.

Its what we must currently rely on. Based on police actions it would be unfair to other industry participants and punters for them to be currently reinstated .

Can you point me to any declarations of innocence on the part of the accused .Its been about a week now. I haven't seen any as yet. They would have a good idea of what evidence the police have by now. its only one way traffic at the moment.  

The main defence we currently get from those who sympathize with the actions of those involved,  is reference to it happening in the past and criticism of the police using their resources to  target harness racing . Pathetic really. 

No ones saying those charged are bad people, quite the contrary ,just it appears they have made bad decisions, At the end of the day the consequences will outweigh the actual actions,   But its the integrity of the industry at stake, you cant let sympathy cloud your judgment.

So you are saying the Police have a 100% conviction rate?

As for fairness was what happened to Peter Moody in Australia fair?

In terms of proving match fixing anyone remember Chris Cairns?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

they would have to be really foolish to make any comment or statements until the trial i am not sure what you are expecting at this early stage

the only comments / statements they should make before the trial should be to the riu in support of getting their course access back

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So you are saying the Police have a 100% conviction rate?

As for fairness was what happened to Peter Moody in Australia fair?

In terms of proving match fixing anyone remember Chris Cairns?

No,      No comment-had high cobalt level,dont know enough about it.          Chris cairns-Guilty as in my opinion.he had plenty of witnesses saying he did.  Note in his case the only money traced went into lou vincents account,no recorded conversations. Maybe those here should give his lawyer a call.

1 hour ago, Rangatira said:

they would have to be really foolish to make any comment or statements until the trial i am not sure what you are expecting at this early stage

the only comments / statements they should make before the trial should be to the riu in support of getting their course access back

Don't agree . In fact I think the opposite.  Graeme beirne has. If they have nothing to hide they should make a statement, worded by their solicitors.   Its not like they have Robert mueller after them.

Edited by the galah

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

By all reports, it seems Addington figures around same as previous years. 

Winton up slightly

That’s  good to hear but and a big but today (Tuesday) is when the bell rings , should be interesting to listen in on  what the police line of attack is and with what evidence they do or don’t have .

Anyone going in for a day of entertainment,  I’m sure there will be a laugh or two

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arsenic said:

That’s  good to hear but and a big but today (Tuesday) is when the bell rings , should be interesting to listen in on  what the police line of attack is and with what evidence they do or don’t have .

Anyone going in for a day of entertainment,  I’m sure there will be a laugh or two

I see Brent Wall has appeared in court, pleaded not guilty, as i am sure others will too. 

Looking into Sportscaster race, 22nd May. The race i posted, which shows driver nearly falling out of cart looking for fav to come around.