Bit Of A Yarn

Rangiora HRC Abandonment: Seriously Ben Hope knows something about track maintenance?

Date: 5 March 2023 Time: 12:30pm
Venue and Location: Rangiora Racecourse
Venue Contact Person: Glen Hames
Activity being engaged in: Harness Racing
Background leading up to the incident: 
Significant amount of rain overnight prior to the race meeting.
Details of the Incident: 
Track Inspection undertaken by Stipendiary Stewards S Renault and N McIntyre commenced just 
over 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Race 1 at 12:59pm. Stewards inspected the track 
by vehicle and stopped at a number of areas on the track to examine the surface. Stewards also 
drove in the middle of the track on both bends to determine what traction the mobile barrier would 
have when commencing the score up of a race. It was noted that it was difficult for the vehicle to maintain traction at speed and concern was raised if the mobile would be able to be in operation. 
The surface itself appeared to have quite a hard base and overall whilst the track was very wet, it 
was decided that it was best to wait and assess the conditions again within the next hour.
Stewards spoke with Club President G Wright and advised him of what was identified at the initial 
track inspection once arriving in the Stewards Room a short time later.
The rain gauge at the racecourse showed there had been approximately 32mm of rain overnight 
and another 12mm from 11:00am this morning.
Stewards again looked at the track approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes prior to the first race being 
scheduled to run. Mr McIntyre walked the track whilst Stewards S Renault and M Sole went to the 
stables in search of any Senior or experienced drivers. 
Stewards were able to have K Cox, K Cameron, P Davis, R Cameron and B Hope meet on the track 
and have them express their opinion. All drivers were unsure of how safe the track would be as it appeared to be inconsistent in areas. The track was safe in parts however very soft in other areas 
of the track. Stewards had concerns with how much the track had deteriorated within an hour of the first inspection.
Stewards and Drivers met with the HRNZ Track and Venue Inspector J Denton, Horse Ambulance 
Driver L Hanrahan and Starter D Gaffaney on the final bend of the track where the vehicle had 
driven earlier. It was concerning that the base of the track appeared to be coming up to the surface 
of the track and was very soft in that area.

Every person present expressed concern about the impact of all the horses racing on the track and how the animals would handle the inconsistent nature of the surface. Visibility for drivers was very much at the forefront of everyone’s thinking as well.

Discussion was held whether any remedial work on the track could be undertaken however with the continued rain forecast, it was decided that it was not a viable option.

It was unanimously decided by all people present at the inspection of the track that the safety of horses and drivers could not be guaranteed with the current state of the track and having another 15mm of rain forecast in the next few hours meant that track conditions were only going to deteriorate further.

Stewards met with Club President G Wright and Club Secretary G Hames in the Stewards room a short time later and advised them the opinion of all parties present on the track who both agreed it was the only outcome available in the circumstances.

The race meeting was formally abandoned at approximately 12:30pm.

What could have caused the incident? (Reason / Identify Hazard)

Not applicable

Recommendations to prevent reoccurrence: (include time frame and follow up person if necessary)

The Club should meet with Mr Denton to discuss the track preparation prior to the meeting and

consider whether any changes to the preparation of the track can be made when rain is forecast.

Track Inspection Team:

Nigel McIntyre

Shane Renault

Matt Sole

Katie Cox

Peter Davis

Ben Hope

Kyle Cameron

Ross Cameron

John Denton

Laurence Hanrahan

Dave Gaffaney

Witnesses available:

(record names and contact details)

Club President, Secretary of the Club and early arrivals of TAB staff.

Injured Person Details: NOT APPLICABLE

Name:

Phone Number:

Address:

Date of Birth:

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Date: 5 March 2023 Time: 12:30pm
Venue and Location: Rangiora Racecourse
Venue Contact Person: Glen Hames
Activity being engaged in: Harness Racing
Background leading up to the incident: 
Significant amount of rain overnight prior to the race meeting.
Details of the Incident: 
Track Inspection undertaken by Stipendiary Stewards S Renault and N McIntyre commenced just 
over 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of Race 1 at 12:59pm. Stewards inspected the track 
by vehicle and stopped at a number of areas on the track to examine the surface. Stewards also 
drove in the middle of the track on both bends to determine what traction the mobile barrier would 
have when commencing the score up of a race. It was noted that it was difficult for the vehicle to maintain traction at speed and concern was raised if the mobile would be able to be in operation. 
The surface itself appeared to have quite a hard base and overall whilst the track was very wet, it 
was decided that it was best to wait and assess the conditions again within the next hour.
Stewards spoke with Club President G Wright and advised him of what was identified at the initial 
track inspection once arriving in the Stewards Room a short time later.
The rain gauge at the racecourse showed there had been approximately 32mm of rain overnight 
and another 12mm from 11:00am this morning.
Stewards again looked at the track approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes prior to the first race being 
scheduled to run. Mr McIntyre walked the track whilst Stewards S Renault and M Sole went to the 
stables in search of any Senior or experienced drivers. 
Stewards were able to have K Cox, K Cameron, P Davis, R Cameron and B Hope meet on the track 
and have them express their opinion. All drivers were unsure of how safe the track would be as it appeared to be inconsistent in areas. The track was safe in parts however very soft in other areas 
of the track. Stewards had concerns with how much the track had deteriorated within an hour of the first inspection.
Stewards and Drivers met with the HRNZ Track and Venue Inspector J Denton, Horse Ambulance 
Driver L Hanrahan and Starter D Gaffaney on the final bend of the track where the vehicle had 
driven earlier. It was concerning that the base of the track appeared to be coming up to the surface 
of the track and was very soft in that area.

Every person present expressed concern about the impact of all the horses racing on the track and how the animals would handle the inconsistent nature of the surface. Visibility for drivers was very much at the forefront of everyone’s thinking as well.

Discussion was held whether any remedial work on the track could be undertaken however with the continued rain forecast, it was decided that it was not a viable option.

It was unanimously decided by all people present at the inspection of the track that the safety of horses and drivers could not be guaranteed with the current state of the track and having another 15mm of rain forecast in the next few hours meant that track conditions were only going to deteriorate further.

Stewards met with Club President G Wright and Club Secretary G Hames in the Stewards room a short time later and advised them the opinion of all parties present on the track who both agreed it was the only outcome available in the circumstances.

The race meeting was formally abandoned at approximately 12:30pm.

What could have caused the incident? (Reason / Identify Hazard)

Not applicable

Recommendations to prevent reoccurrence: (include time frame and follow up person if necessary)

The Club should meet with Mr Denton to discuss the track preparation prior to the meeting and

consider whether any changes to the preparation of the track can be made when rain is forecast.

Track Inspection Team:

Nigel McIntyre

Shane Renault

Matt Sole

Katie Cox

Peter Davis

Ben Hope

Kyle Cameron

Ross Cameron

John Denton

Laurence Hanrahan

Dave Gaffaney

Witnesses available:

Injured Person Details: NOT APPLICABLE

Name:

Phone Number:

Address:

Date of Birth:

I agree and I had a good laugh 😂.these stewards keep failing in there duty and just keep making themselves look very incompetent.at Addington last week they failed badly in there duty to take action against Devon van till on anything goes who's terrible descion to hand up with 600 to go on a heavily backed favourite which was going very well in the death.instead they suspended shree tominson for interference.the stewards once again proved they know nothing about racing how good a horse is going and more importantly how a horse should be driven and proved again Devon van till is a protected species as she did something like this before on a heavily backed favourite unfazed.

• Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

Witnesses available:

Doesn't this all reek of a scene of a crime investigation?  Looks like some templates fell off the back of a Police van.

Witness Statement #TAB12 - Joeline Operator:  I arrived on the course at 12:05 and witnessed it was raining sufficiently to get my umbrella wet.  My heels sunk 25mm into the carpark grass.  I saw a dozen people standing in the middle of the track having a team meeting.  I hope I get paid my 3 hours minimum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ben hope is that experienced not and that good of a driver not that he tried to give himself a neck strain looking around that much on muscle mountain running home in 26.9 at Addington Friday night.ben what's going to run past you running that time you only can laugh at him.

1 hour ago, Forbury said:

Ben hope is that experienced not and that good of a driver not that he tried to give himself a neck strain looking around that much on muscle mountain running home in 26.9 at Addington Friday night.ben what's going to run past you running that time you only can laugh at him.

What has happened to you Forbury for you to feel it is ok to be just a horrible nasty person towards others? I’ve raised Ben to be such a good hearted kind kid that would do anything to help anyone out. And when you write these posts out of nowhere… it really hurts me to read….

Im amazed how he handles MM as although it looks so easy from the stand he hasn’t always been an easy drive. The pressure involved of driving a horse like him is intense!!! I don’t laugh at him…. I’m in awe of him 

• Like 4
  • Champ Post 2

6 minutes ago, Nina Hope said:

Im amazed how he handles MM as although it looks so easy from the stand

The horse a credit to you and your family (along with the many other winners too)

Ben a pretty solid 2nd on the junior drivers table (below)  this season , so has done himself proud too.

Forbury alas 'gives it' to certain drivers he has lost a bet on . still carries on about the greatest record competitor the country has ever seen (Mark Purdon) like you would not believe. is a bit disturbing at times, and not at all great for the site unfortunately. shame he can't move on to more constructive comment. 

Congrats on yet another fine Muscle Mountain win ! oh so close in that Dominion too. 

Sarah O'Reilly 198 23 17 21 221,813 0.1992
Ben Hope 83 13 16 4 159,672 0.2798
Mark Hurrell 94 12 9 9 115,580 0.2128
Carter Dalgety 27 10 4 5 86,020

• Bad Post 1

This thread has been a bit hard to follow from the start. A bit hard to work out who the chief was having a dig at,but i'm guessing it wasn't intended  to be ben hope ,he just chose to mention him when making a point about the  condition of a track,for some reason.

We all know from some of forbs previous posts that hes not always the cheerleader of the ben hope driving  fan club,nor mark purdon as gammalite has mentioned. In this case its hard to see why he would criticise mr hope looking around,as it appeared pretty obvious he didn't want to give his horse any harder run than necessary. But  each to there own.

The thread shows that when anyone comments on social media about someone,we do so about real people.Personally its good to read mrs hope reply and perspective just to remind us of that. it would have  given forbs something to think about.As gammalite has said,hes only talking about mr hopes driving from a punters view.Forbury has said only very positive things about mr hopes character in the past. But even if he hadn't like anyone,its only his opinion.

I think its just part of the banter  that is  associated with professional sports.People tend to express those opinions more on social media than they would in person,sometimes without a  filter.Its the world we live in. 

I think when it comes to people commenting, opinions on whether what they say is acceptable or not,is formed based on their own life experiences. Some people become more thick skinned than others.

I know its nothing to do with racing,but  saturday night tv  never has anything decent on.

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

3 hours ago, Gammalite said:

The horse a credit to you and your family (along with the many other winners too)

Ben a pretty solid 2nd on the junior drivers table (below)  this season , so has done himself proud too.

Forbury alas 'gives it' to certain drivers he has lost a bet on . still carries on about the greatest record competitor the country has ever seen (Mark Purdon) like you would not believe. is a bit disturbing at times, and not at all great for the site unfortunately. shame he can't move on to more constructive comment. 

Congrats on yet another fine Muscle Mountain win ! oh so close in that Dominion too. 

Sarah O'Reilly 198 23 17 21 221,813 0.1992
Ben Hope 83 13 16 4 159,672 0.2798
Mark Hurrell 94 12 9 9 115,580 0.2128
Carter Dalgety 27 10 4 5 86,020

Disturbing is mark Purdon is a proven cheat and proven team driving cheat again and blood spinning and drugging horses and is responsible for the death of a human being and animal cruelty.... ...I don't give it to drivers I lost a bet on it don't matter to me.i give my opinion on drivers good or bad.i posted Zev Meredith is a jnr on the rise.i won heaps on new York minute due to his great driving skills.do you think for a second I would of had a decent bet on Devon van till do you am I that dumb and stupid like the stewards have proven to be.

4 hours ago, Nina Hope said:

What has happened to you Forbury for you to feel it is ok to be just a horrible nasty person towards others? I’ve raised Ben to be such a good hearted kind kid that would do anything to help anyone out. And when you write these posts out of nowhere… it really hurts me to read….

Im amazed how he handles MM as although it looks so easy from the stand he hasn’t always been an easy drive. The pressure involved of driving a horse like him is intense!!! I don’t laugh at him…. I’m in awe of him 

How the f*** am I being a nasty person saying what I think about someone's driving.its my opinion right or wrong.aint we entitled to that?in no way have I commented in any other way about Ben hope expect his driving.im certainly not in awe of Ben hopes driving ability at the moment but it's not hopeless yet as Tim Williams went from the butcher boy with two incompetent driving charges to one of the best drivers around.so when mm is going 26.9 last quarter at Addington after a easy run and Ben's looking around is not great because there was not a horse in that field that was going to get anywhere near him.your still responsible for one of the worst decisions I've seen in racing by not taking mossdale Connor to Perth in what was a very weak I'd.that cost me plenty if that makes you happy.

Gammalites reference to driver statistics is a very good point forbury.

And if we look at Ben Hopes,then we see he has what most would consider very good overall stats.

The stats do to confirm what i have said before, that he has a higher strike rate on trotters than he does on the pacers. He tends to win on the trotters at a greater rate than he does the pacers.Thats why i think he should be considered in the top handful of drivers in nz for trotters. When it comes to the pacers he can be a bit frustrating sometimes from a punters perspective. But not everyone is a blair orange every time.

I wonder sometimes how drivers would rate the realistic reactions of punters sometimes.But that doesn't happen. Probably a good thing for the punters.

And i think sometimes drivers can be are their own harshest critics.

Another day today. More winners to be found and more drives to watch.  

Edited by the galah

Personally believe that our current group of Junior drivers are not a bad lot, by way of talent in the cart and personality wise!

Ben Hope is certainly one of these!

From my perspective, Ben is what the industry totally requires for it to continue.

He is always enthusiastic, great with the media and a totally hard worker!

If his father Greg and mother Nina were not happy with his performance in the cart then they would not allow him to drive so many.

Yes there have been times when he may have caused issues but that I reckon comes from youthful exuberance and he is always wanting to give his horse the best possible opportunity.

There are many drivers that do not drive anymore and allow the more professional drivers in the cart, which is great for racing.

Most of us know there are still some that should not be allowed to drive but it will always be the way.

We will not always agree with each other, which is the beauty of any forum, but Ben Hope is an asset to harness racing that we can not afford to lose.

The Hope family are so professional, hard working and appear as  such lovely people you could possibly meet.

19 hours ago, Nina Hope said:

Ben is a polite young man and a credit to you and Greg - I know it's hard to do, but please just ignore the faceless few that frequent these sites and seem to enjoy belittling others

1 hour ago, Taku Umanga said:

Ben is a polite young man and a credit to you and Greg - I know it's hard to do, but please just ignore the faceless few that frequent these sites and seem to enjoy belittling others

As i have said before.

Aren't junior drivers educated and given guidance on how to deal with all aspects of social media. 

Don't Forbury's comments sometimes reflect more on his state of mind at the time he posts than the content of his posts?

Fair enough for people to comment when they think someone has made unreasonable comments,,but having said that any reasonable person should be able to filter out what is fair comment,and what isn't.

So when you comment about 'a faceless few that frequent these sites" is  it not just a way of saying just ignore certain aspects of the real world that may upset your feelings. Maybe that strategy is effective,maybe its not.

Edited by the galah

21 hours ago, Nina Hope said:

Don't take the bait Nina. Ben's results speak for themselves.

11 hours ago, the galah said:

Gammalites reference to driver statistics is a very good point forbury.

And if we look at Ben Hopes,then we see he has what most would consider very good overall stats.

The stats do to confirm what i have said before, that he has a higher strike rate on trotters than he does on the pacers. He tends to win on the trotters at a greater rate than he does the pacers.Thats why i think he should be considered in the top handful of drivers in nz for trotters. When it comes to the pacers he can be a bit frustrating sometimes from a punters perspective. But not everyone is a blair orange every time.

I wonder sometimes how drivers would rate the realistic reactions of punters sometimes.But that doesn't happen. Probably a good thing for the punters.

And i think sometimes drivers can be are their own harshest critics.

Another day today. More winners to be found and more drives to watch.  

Yes as he drives horses that are IN THE MARKET.ben hope drives main chances in races not outsiders.its just like saying J Mac is the best.hes the most overrated and know one in Australia gets more favourites beat then him.

15 hours ago, Forbury said:

There is no Nina hope on here.there is no K butt on here.its gamma alcohol fake profile troll with nothing better to do than that and obvious likes to pretend to be a girl and dress up like one.images.jpeg.41fdd0b064b2e811702c4e7753b7c29e.jpeg

I’m no model Forbury but I can assure you I look a little different in a black teddy…

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 3