Bit Of A Yarn

Methven Sunday

Happy Sunrise

I always anticipate the new grass season with glee. 

Does anyone have any knowledge they would like to share about how they approach the new grass track betting season?

It can be a minefield but I like that.

Personally, I like to see at least 2 runs under the belt so they are fit for the grass track slog (track was slow last weekend) and a good draw. There are also trainers who seem to do well on the grass. Namely, John Hay, Leo O'Reilly, Dean Taylor etc.

Any other factors that people take into account? Not race fixing or drivers on E but aspects of punting such as course form eg Quite Ideal. Or does one just approach it like any other meeting?

Thoughts please, I am very interested.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I am always drawn to Sam ottley on the grass..

Always good on the grass isn't she. Probably brought up on the green stuff at Orari.

Matty Williamson is underrated on the grass too. Has gone well at Methven before.  Breeny's Cullen might be worth a look as those two make a good combo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Always good on the grass isn't she. Probably brought up on the green stuff at Orari.

Matty Williamson is underrated on the grass too. Has gone well at Methven before.  Breeny's Cullen might be worth a look as those two make a good combo.

Yes, if you get on those horses that take to the grass and a good driver combo, You can have a really profitable season following them...I find the tips from the harness section when we were on R.C and now here on the grass were pretty spot on.....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes, if you get on those horses that take to the grass and a good driver combo,

Too true.

18 minutes ago, Flagship uberalles said:

I find the tips from the harness section when we were on R.C and now here on the grass were pretty spot on.....

Very much so. Some big odds too. All the tipsters have migrated to BOAY now, though.

• Champ Post 2

It can take a bit of figuring out which horses, because there are often a few that stick out. But I can honestly say that I've had some of my best luck through workouts and trials held by Mt Hutt at Methven. If you're within distance of the place, it can be well worth a drive out on a Saturday or Sunday morning when they're on. You'll be sure to spot a few winners for the coming weeks. 

Here's last week's trial results: https://infohorse.hrnz.co.nz/datahr/trials/090870tr.htm

Gold Chain and Wainui Creek two of the most impressive last weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

13 hours ago, Flagship uberalles said:

Yes, if you get on those horses that take to the grass and a good driver combo, You can have a really profitable season following them...I find the tips from the harness section when we were on R.C and now here on the grass were pretty spot on.....

I love the grass....and the racing as well ?.Look out for my tips on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2

2 hours ago, Nowornever said:

I was there on the day brings back some great memories

I would have been 14 and can remember having a  $1 2x2 Double  total cost $4 stortford Lodge and mister woodchips in the first leg, and looking at race 8 on that particular day, I would have had isotronic and muricata miss (also down the track)..I went with names in those days and always stayed loyal!

Edited by Flagship uberalles
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nowornever said:

Me too. It made the Methven track one of a kind. Someone start a petition bring back the long straight.:ph34r:

Yip me too.Remember going there some 30 odd years ago when i was a wee fella and seeing them in the distance charging up the long home straight.Should get rid of the houses and bring the long straight back. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The straight used to be longer????

Are you for real?

Did it start in the middle of the township!

The track used to be 1600 metres (one mile) in circumference with a 400-metre (two-furlong) straight, but much smaller now.

Edited by Nowornever
  • Champ Post 1