Bit Of A Yarn

alysha waretini

the galah

I thought i must have been reading the coverage from a CNN reporter or comments from a nz green MP.

But no.

It was in fact a decision dated 23 march 2023 on the RIB website, surrounding ms waretini's comments to a stipe when asked to wear a mask almost a year ago,when masks were mandatory.

Waretini's comments to the stipe when asked to wear a mask...well he accused him of being a racist and picking on the only brown skinned person there.

Then when spoken to again and directed to wear a mask she apparently kept yelling out that all the RIB were racist and she was going to take it to the media.

People often say stupid things in the heat of the moment,but ms waretini's reaction sure was  colourful. Not sure if that is the right word????

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

She was right about one thing, nappies on face's are useless just as the whole covid response was. If it had been me I would of told them to pull their head in to. The RIU are a bunch of tossers.

Aquaman,you've previously pointed out the type of comments made by waretini about being a victim simply because of the colour of her  skin are divisive and unnecessary. Yet no mention of that this time. Wheres the consistency?

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Aquaman,you've previously pointed out the type of comments made by waretini about being a victim simply because of the colour of her  skin are divisive and unnecessary. Yet no mention of that this time. Wheres the consistency?

Your absolutely right Galah, the race comment is rubbish, do not agree with that at all. What irks me is being told to wear a face nappy. That to me is even greater rubbish than what the racial comment was.

• Like 1
  • Bad Post 1

41 minutes ago, aquaman said:

Your absolutely right Galah, the race comment is rubbish, do not agree with that at all. What irks me is being told to wear a face nappy. That to me is even greater rubbish than what the racial comment was.

I assume she took the vaccine otherwise she wouldn't have been allowed on course. So her drawing the line on wearing a mask and not on injecting a vaccine into her body, that many had justified doubts over, seems a bit strange. So those who had chosen not to be coerced into doing something they didn't feel comfortable with,knew a consequence was not being able to attend race meetings. So given that, its a bit hard to see any justification in her comments.

Edited by the galah

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 3:37 PM, the galah said:

her drawing the line on wearing a mask and not on injecting a vaccine into her body, that many had justified doubts over, seems a bit strange.

Yes it is strange to me also.

As for being a victim because of colour or race, she needs a good old fashioned kick up the backside and told to grow up.  As a licence holder she has signed up annually to abide by the rules, which includes some form of respectful behaviour.

If you can't do that, get out.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/06/2023 at 4:55 PM, Chief Stipe said:

You'll be pleased.  Who will you harass next?

I haven't harassed anyone. I stated only now proven facts.

If anything, Alysha should be the one that is pleased, as no one instead approached the SPCA to investigate a animal cruelty allegation or the police to investigate a assault allegation.

Picking up a dog that was not directly threatening her by its neck & throwing it backwards a meter is animal abuse/cruelty, which would be dealt far more severely under crown law as a criminal offence.

Shoulder barging someone into a concrete wall is assault, which would also be a criminal offence if heard under crown law.

• Champ Post 2

I'm at a loss as to what is going on in all three codes.  When you think about it the people within those three codes are going to cause their own demise.  We can all bitch and moan about personalities, rule breaking, poor administration and programming to name a few points of conjecture but if we all don't pull our socks up, think outside the square and work together there is not going to be an industry to work in and enjoy.

Yes, there have been some shitty decisions made but, we have to look forward and move on with some new ideas, personnel and energy.  For goodness sake get out of this bitter and harming mindset.  While we still have an industry to be involved in take it for what it is, it seems we are never going to repeat those experiences from the "good old days" so let's embark on some "good new days".  Keep thinking and giving, none of us will get it completely right alone.  Think of a new approach to get the pigheaded at the top to at least listen because we won't get change without at least that for a start.

I think some people need to wake up to themselves, take a look in the mirror and think about how you can make a difference and make it better for us all.

Start looking at all the problems in racing from more points of view than your own and don't be afraid to share your opinion and discuss with an open mind.

• Like 2
  • Champ Post 2

15 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

I haven't harassed anyone. I stated only now proven facts.

If anything, Alysha should be the one that is pleased, as no one instead approached the SPCA to investigate a animal cruelty allegation or the police to investigate a assault allegation.

Picking up a dog that was not directly threatening her by its neck & throwing it backwards a meter is animal abuse/cruelty, which would be dealt far more severely under crown law as a criminal offence.

Shoulder barging someone into a concrete wall is assault, which would also be a criminal offence if heard under crown law.

Then be the hero and file a complaint.

• Haha 1

Anyone can access RIB reports from the internet.  It sounds horrendous that there were three charges against Alysha Waretini.  You can judge for yourself how serious her actions were.  The fact remains Alysha has not acted in a manner befitting a licence holder.  Not only has she brought greyhound racing into disrepute but, she has let her mother down, not surprising of today's youth however absolutely inexcusable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Special Agent said:

Anyone can access RIB reports from the internet.  It sounds horrendous that there were three charges against Alysha Waretini.  You can judge for yourself how serious her actions were.  The fact remains Alysha has not acted in a manner befitting a licence holder.  Not only has she brought greyhound racing into disrepute but, she has let her mother down, not surprising of today's youth however absolutely inexcusable.

The approach by the RIB and GRNZ regarding charges prior to the last three was 100% acceptable?

To my way of thinking both entities show a definite weakness.  Both are supposed to be governing the industry and it's rules.  The flippant manner in which decisions are reviewed and changed show this knee jerk reaction to comments from certain groups or individuals.  If the original decisions were fair there would be no need to change.

It's funny how authorities fold to outside influences yet can be so dogmatic when it comes to listening to those within their own industry who know a fair bit more than given credit for.

Really it's not that hard.  Everyone must work within the rules.  The rules must be applied and administered fairly.  Those in charge must have the knowledge and capability to do the job.  There must be natural justice.

Edited by Special Agent
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just read the penalty decisions.

Now i don't really care what the penalties given to waretini are,maybe they were appropriate,but if they only deserve $400 fines for shoulder barging another trainer and throwing her dogs around,why do harness drivers often get more, simply because their whip action for a couple of flicks wasn't deemed appropriate. Its hard to follow sometimes.

Edited by the galah
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, the galah said:

Now i don't really care what the penalties given to waretini are,maybe they were appropriate,but if they only deserve $400 fines for shoulder barging another trainer and throwing her dogs around,why do harness drivers often get more, simply because their whip action for a couple of flicks wasn't deemed appropriate. Its hard to follow sometimes.

Just now, Overit said:

WTF so $400 for each of these shocking charges seems a bit light! 1 assult,  1 misconduct on an other lps dog and 1 misconduct on one in her care. No bloody wonder people thing the way they do when people whom behave like A Waretini get punished so lightly.  Bloody Joke

• Like 1

I hope she learns from this and that other LP's view the decision as a strong deterrent, which is one of the things a penalty is meant to do.

But at the end of the day, a precedent has now been set.

Hypothetically, I wonder how the RIB would treat a future event now if a burly man shoulder barged a woman into a concrete wall. Surely, they'll have to treat it in the exact same manner as the RIB can't be viewed to be sexist, can it?

I wonder what might happen if an LP picks up one of their own dogs or another trainer's dog, throws it & it results in a broken leg. Does the clinical result change the level of cruelty?

Is "you broke the dog's leg doing that" worse than "you could have easily broken the dog's leg by doing that"?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Yankiwi said:

But at the end of the day, a precedent has now been set.

Hypothetically, I wonder how the RIB would treat a future event now if a burly man shoulder barged a woman into a concrete wall. Surely, they'll have to treat it in the exact same manner as the RIB can't be viewed to be sexist, can it?

In this case Alysha also used the race card.  It seems there are members of this code who would stoop to any depths, including sexism.  Looking from the outside there appear some shambolic goings on.

Consistency across the codes is shocking when you consider the same personnel (the RIB) are policing all three.

Would what has been dished out in the form of penalties in this case deter any future action?  I'm not so sure.  Just like in a harness race when a driver uses the whip one too many times people in racing get a blood rush.  It's just a matter of where the line is drawn at what is considered acceptable.

I see there has been further tinkering with the inept whip rule in galloping (which I must point out was sanctioned by the NZ Jockeys' Assn) with the new version very confusing.  This is another case where you did not need to be very intelligent to realise the ramifications of the rules introduced.

12 hours ago, the galah said:

Each code sets their own penalties which in itself is a source of inconsistency.  HRNZ set the fine schedule for whip abuse.  So you can't make an apples with apples comparison. 

Inconsistency also occurs from the RIB in their adjudication.

The Codes and the RIB have made utterances and promises to address across code inconsistency but it would appear they are too busy spending money in court and hiding in hedges aka INCA.

Waretini was fined 3 x $400 based on limited precedent plus $850 costs.  A total of $2,050.  Given the high quantum of her other fines (over $7k although under appeal) and her disqualification it is unlikely she has any ability to pay.

I note Grimstone has been involved in this case and given his INCA  and other history I wouldn't be surprised if there has been actions bordering on harassment.  At the very least considerable pressure bought to bear.

2 hours ago, Yankiwi said:

But in this case the RIB submitted a 12 month disqualification was appropriate and noted her regular recent offending.

So its the adjudicators,not the RIB who seem to have shown leniency. They are two different entities.

Its somewhat astounding the difference in what each felt was an appropriate penalty.

It does make you question both and illustrates why people lack confidence in the fairness of penalties sometimes.

In this case it seems waretinis submissions may have swayed the adjudicators.

She submitted that they,i assume the RIB were unfair,and said she believed in karma,and words to the effect that she was happy knowing that Karma was coming for them.

Now,given the penalties,you have to give credit to waretini for taking such an anti authority approach that no one else seems to have previously. It clearly worked in her case.

Edited by the galah