Bit Of A Yarn

Who said Mark Walker wouldn't do as good as Jamie Richards?

20 hours ago, SLB2.0 said:

I made this point before he took over. Richards was in a system which allowed him to succeed.

And, as we're seeing, Walker has taken over and the same results have happened.

Jason Bridgeman and Steve Autridge were both in the same 'system'.      Steven is a successful and respected trainer in his own right, both before and after Te Akau, of course..but Jason, thrown in the deep end, struggled to obtain the results wanted.   And, anyone who follows racing knows that most stables have patches of both success, and more moderate results, that's just life and not anyone's fault.  So the 'system' doesn't automatically guarantee results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freda said:

So the 'system' doesn't automatically guarantee results.

Nope but it gives every chance to be successful eliminating or mitigating many variables.  With a system in place it then comes down to individual trainer ability and the talent of your horses.

Walker brings some international experience from a controlled relatively closed system to the stable now.

https://bitofayarn.com/topic/91233-walker-edging-closer-to-record/#comment-213710

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Mark Walker equals Trainers wins for the season record.  160 so far.  He is going to smash it.

These records are a joke now, racing in nz has changed so much it's hardly worth noting them & by changed I mean benefited the biggest player the most.

2 hours ago, Huey said:

These records are a joke now, racing in nz has changed so much it's hardly worth noting them & by changed I mean benefited the biggest player the most.

When did it change?  What were the changes?  I see Murray Baker won the Premiership in 2018/19 so I guess these changes were post then?

Good competition is the crucial for the survival of any sport or business.  I don't think Te Akau has got to a stage where they are monopolising the racing industry yet, they dispose of quite a few horses on Gavelhouse that don't quite meet their standards.  Some of these high priced creatures get another opportunity in a different environment.  There's a multi faceted aspect to this, "lesser" trainers get to work with horse breeds they normally wouldn't, and because a change in scenery and different training approach can work the oracle with some horses the horse can get a revival, the trainer gains confidence and further opportunities, and the racing interest in another area gets a boost.

It must be frustrating to continually be placed to Te Akau or worse still be balloted or eliminated when their horses with more points take preference over your's in the CD.  Unfortunately that is just the way the cookie crumbles, as long as we are all playing on an even playing field.

Records are made to be broken and I can't see how any excitement this creates, especially to mainstream media, is a bad thing for racing.

Racing needs outfits such as Te Akau.  This should never be at the expense of smaller entities.  I'd like to think we are cheering all stables on at every type of venue.  We need everyone already involved, and more, to survive and strive.

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

This Topic isn't one about "knocking Jamie Richards".  When he left for Hong Kong many were quick to say Te Akau's success would drop the implication being that Mark Walker wasn't as good.  That clearly isn't the case.  Would be second rate to imply otherwise.  Shame people can't post their opinions freely on all forums.

2 minutes ago, billy connolly said:

IMO Richards father is/was a better horseman than his son and Stephen Autridge is/was a better horseman than Walker.

The coat maketh the man !

Interesting point.  I didn't realise that Peter Moody started out working for TJ Smith until I heard his comments post I Wish I Win's win at the weekend in the TJ.

Some site managers must find it hard sleeping in their kennels at night with all the moderating they have to do.  Easier to just let people express their opinions.

I just did a quick read of posts relating to Jamie Richards move to Hong Kong and can't find any really that knock his talent.  A few knocking Mark Walker however.  But he has well and truly silenced those critics with his training successes.

Back to Jamie Richards.  He is doing OK in Hong Kong but certainly doesn't warrant the over the top spruiking of his achievements so far.  It is early days in his Hong Kong career with a smaller stable (50) than some of his competitors.  With only one horse rated over 85.  It will take more than one season to see how he rates.

As a few have said the challenge will be doing more managerial and buying work than he did for Te Akau.  Coupled with what really is a horrible environment to train and live in when compared to OZ and NZ.  I for one couldn't live under the Chinese regime in a heavily polluted environment.  Although some people thrive on it. 

For those reasons I can't see Richards staying long when Australia looks a much more attractive option.  Surely for a young trainer Hong Kong is a stepping stone rather than a 5 or 10 year tenure.

6 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Some site managers must find it hard sleeping in their kennels at night with all the moderating they have to do.  Easier to just let people express their opinions.

I just did a quick read of posts relating to Jamie Richards move to Hong Kong and can't find any really that knock his talent.  A few knocking Mark Walker however.  But he has well and truly silenced those critics with his training successes.

Back to Jamie Richards.  He is doing OK in Hong Kong but certainly doesn't warrant the over the top spruiking of his achievements so far.  It is early days in his Hong Kong career with a smaller stable (50) than some of his competitors.  With only one horse rated over 85.  It will take more than one season to see how he rates.

As a few have said the challenge will be doing more managerial and buying work than he did for Te Akau.  Coupled with what really is a horrible environment to train and live in when compared to OZ and NZ.  I for one couldn't live under the Chinese regime in a heavily polluted environment.  Although some people thrive on it. 

For those reasons I can't see Richards staying long when Australia looks a much more attractive option.  Surely for a young trainer Hong Kong is a stepping stone rather than a 5 or 10 year tenure.

I guess the trainers percentage would be better in HongKong.

12 hours ago, nod said:

I guess the trainers percentage would be better in HongKong.

Not sure about the % but what I do know that a low rated maiden can race for $200,000 or more. 

As for all the other experts who assure us they are right I'd be interested to hear their analysis of the statistics that don't lie.  https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/information/English/Trainers/TrainerRanking.aspx

4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Not sure about the % but what I do know that a low rated maiden can race for $200,000 or more. 

As for all the other experts who assure us they are right I'd be interested to hear their analysis of the statistics that don't lie.  https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/information/English/Trainers/TrainerRanking.aspx

10% and no overheads etc paying staff, feed, gear etc.

jamie is going very well for a first season rookie trainer…the good judges of hk racing will tell you that.

compare him to the other rookie PC NG who has had 135 more runners!

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

10% and no overheads etc paying staff, feed, gear etc.

jamie is going very well for a first season rookie trainer…the good judges of hk racing will tell you that.

compare him to the other rookie PC NG who has had 135 more runners!

Perhaps that's the case or is it "early crow"?

Those trainer's percentages and terms that you quote support my opinion that he is using HK as a stepping stone.   Build up a war chest and head to OZ. 

Who would really want to live in China 🇨🇳 run Hong Kong for too long let alone raise a family there?