Bit Of A Yarn

Methven Track A Disgrace

That track today was a total joke. Only a handful made ground from the turn, main reason being the grass being about a foot high??

WTF is happening with the clowns at Methven, used to be a great track but now it is laughed at. 

Maybe talk to those that turn out the Motukarara track in tip top condition each meeting, track is mowed at a good level, not like todays shit.

I stopped betting after race 3, luckily I did as the horses I liked struggled.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

That track today was a total joke. Only a handful made ground from the turn, main reason being the grass being about a foot high??

WTF is happening with the clowns at Methven, used to be a great track but now it is laughed at. 

Maybe talk to those that turn out the Motukarara track in tip top condition each meeting, track is mowed at a good level, not like todays shit.

I stopped betting after race 3, luckily I did as the horses I liked struggled.

Outstanding post Newmarket I look forward to you putting up your real name up and then how about addressing our track committee with your concerns or are you just a poor loser who had a bad day on the punt. Cheers Nigel Armstrong 

• Champ Post 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Outstanding post Newmarket I look forward to you putting up your real name up and then how about addressing our track committee with your concerns or are you just a poor loser who had a bad day on the punt. Cheers Nigel Armstrong 

Haha, I’m only a punter but somebody who has seen plenty of grass racing over the years. 
I was with a few other punters who also stopped or reduced their wagering during the day, I know you are part of the methven club gang, but would have thought you would want feedback. 

Take ya crocs off, try running on ya mowed front lawn, then try running on that jungle type track yesterday!!!

Christ, if you couldn’t see the grass was to long yesterday, you need specsavers.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

42 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Haha, I’m only a punter but somebody who has seen plenty of grass racing over the years. 
I was with a few other punters who also stopped or reduced their wagering during the day, I know you are part of the methven club gang, but would have thought you would want feedback. 

Take ya crocs off, try running on ya mowed front lawn, then try running on that jungle type track yesterday!!!

Christ, if you couldn’t see the grass was to long yesterday, you need specsavers.

It actually rained all week so I'll give you that , ever tried to mow a wet lawn, but as far as betting went you are in the minority, on course was just under 50,000 which comparatively outstanding,  haven't got off course yet but again I'm picking it will be good. I'll up the date you when I find out

3 hours ago, aquaman said:

Fifty grand oncourse is pathetic. Use to do fifty grand oncourse at the dogs at QE11 back in the 80's last century.

Luckily Unhinged was not in charge of lawn control at Qe11 back then, would still be out their now with a torch trying to search for pups trying to  poke  their heads above grass🤭

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Unhinged said:

It actually rained all week so I'll give you that , ever tried to mow a wet lawn, but as far as betting went you are in the minority, on course was just under 50,000 which comparatively outstanding,  haven't got off course yet but again I'm picking it will be good. I'll up the date you when I find out

Yeah ok, wet weather I understand. But that track not been cut for awhile, must know it grows pretty quick in winter. How did oncourse /Tab figures compare between Mot last Monday and yesterdays meeting? 

Just for the record, Methven was I big fav of mine early on. But trying to work out form will make you broke. 
I had 6 horses yesterday that I thought were good bets, none in the money, luckily I stopped betting. 

if they are out Friday I will post on here, then we will see if my form is right!!

20 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Yeah ok, wet weather I understand. But that track not been cut for awhile, must know it grows pretty quick in winter. How did oncourse /Tab figures compare between Mot last Monday and yesterdays meeting? 

Just for the record, Methven was I big fav of mine early on. But trying to work out form will make you broke. 
I had 6 horses yesterday that I thought were good bets, none in the money, luckily I stopped betting. 

if they are out Friday I will post on here, then we will see if my form is right!!

Methven 11 races 1,143,028 although may increase slightly 

Banks Peninsula 10 races 1,077,959

As far as the industry is concerned turnover is important for our percentage the TAB will slice up the pie but on a Harness only measure gbr is equally important and I don't have those comparisons yet.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Unhinged said:

On course turnovers seem to be something that gets little publicity.Don't now where the general public have access to that nowdays.

$50,000 may be pretty good these days as you say. But i can remember the boss in my first job letting me finish work early to go along to the local twilight meetings at the local track 40 years ago,and the on course turnovers always being between $120,000 to $150,000. That in a town with a population of about 30,000. A $ back then would go so much further back then than it does now, which just shows you how things have changed.

I remember having a horse in just an average race 20 years ago where the win pool alone on the tote was $50,000,and there were only 8 starters. That was at the ashburton christmas meeting that used to have huge crowds all the way up the straight with people from all ages attending.They don't even run that meeting now.

How things have changed.

I watch your interviews ,and while i have said it before,i still can't work out why its not part of the HRNZ website. Its unique in that it gives recognition to everyone,from owners,sponsors,drivers,trainers,breeders,the public. Its the current thing thats most likely to sell the harness racing product,because people need to have something they can relate to and it does that.Last time it was raised on here,you said you were hoping to get it on hrnz,but its still not there. Have you made any progress.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, the galah said:

On course turnovers seem to be something that gets little publicity.Don't now where the general public have access to that nowdays.

$50,000 may be pretty good these days as you say. But i can remember the boss in my first job letting me finish work early to go along to the local twilight meetings at the local track 40 years ago,and the on course turnovers always being between $120,000 to $150,000. That in a town with a population of about 30,000. A $ back then would go so much further back then than it does now, which just shows you how things have changed.

I remember having a horse in just an average race 20 years ago where the win pool alone on the tote was $50,000,and there were only 8 starters. That was at the ashburton christmas meeting that used to have huge crowds all the way up the straight with people from all ages attending.They don't even run that meeting now.

How things have changed.

I watch your interviews ,and while i have said it before,i still can't work out why its not part of the HRNZ website. Its unique in that it gives recognition to everyone,from owners,sponsors,drivers,trainers,breeders,the public. Its the current thing thats most likely to sell the harness racing product,because people need to have something they can relate to and it does that.Last time it was raised on here,you said you were hoping to get it on hrnz,but its still not there. Have you made any progress.

Unfortunately no further progress with Hrnz , it's actually worse than that but I won't go into that because I would still like to work with them . I just don't think they understand Harness racing has so much going for it yet they promote nothing.  We have a huge history as illustrated by the three wise men promotion by methven in the weekend some great horse's yip horse's and a very approachable work force who we don't promote,  sorry I could go on but I'd only get more frustrated. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, the galah said:

Don't now where the general public have access to that nowdays.

I am thinking the major dailies no longer publish the total turnover figure on a Monday morning.

Cyril "Darkie" Howard father of Murray was a prolific seller of "tote tickets" back in the day.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rangatira said:

I am thinking the major dailies no longer publish the total turnover figure on a Monday morning.

Cyril "Darkie" Howard father of Murray was a prolific seller of "tote tickets" back in the day.

Meeting figures are available on the hrnz website they are probably a week behind and not as detailed as the individual clubs get but at least they are on their i will see if I can put up how you get to them.

• Like 3

Turnover oncourse has dropped as well as patronage on all courses over the past few years!!

No real point going oncourse nowadays for many punters who like to take things more seriously than others!

When you are restricted by the amount you can win before having to identify yourself, there is absolutely no point going oncourse.

The restrictions on certain punters by the NZ TAB from the amount they allow you to wager and also the blatantly ludicrous $1k limit for the ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING excuse is going to be continually detrimental to turnover and harness racing!

The TAB are getting what they deserve but unfortunately it is harming the racing industry and ultimately there will be a huge loss of jobs at the TAB when it is run by ENTAIN!

Crazy policies always come back to haunt you and have bad consequences!!!

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

14 minutes ago, paleface adios said:

who grooms the track nowadays? Ricky May was brilliant when he was grooming the track with his farming back ground

Kerry O'Reilly is in charge but before we go any further here's a few things to think about,  we have one part time worker all the rest of the property including the farm is done by volunteers , Methven is very close to the alps very different weather patterns to the plains , this meeting is very late in the season we definitely wouldn't want to run a meeting any later in the season , we had alot of rain over the last week. To be racing at all is a credit to the hard working team looking after the track that being said we are always looking for more help  so if you think you know  more about track preparation than Kerry and Ricky feel free to give me  call. Thank you in advance Nigel 027 328 2206

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Unfortunately no further progress with Hrnz , it's actually worse than that but I won't go into that because I would still like to work with them . I just don't think they understand Harness racing has so much going for it yet they promote nothing.  We have a huge history as illustrated by the three wise men promotion by methven in the weekend some great horse's yip horse's and a very approachable work force who we don't promote,  sorry I could go on but I'd only get more frustrated. 

its hard to work out why they haven't tapped into what you produce.

Harness racing people very often can't seem to all agree on a lot,yet everyone who's aware of the unhinged material agree it is something that taps into whats great about the industry. Even the regular promotion of the dunn stable,who you are associated with, is viewed as a positive insight into how the leading stable ticks.Its unique in that it shows an enjoyable work environment for the young people employed by that stable.The beach reports paint a picture of hard working,honest ,differing personalities and horses,from differing stables,who have a job they really enjoy.

If HRNZ want people to think positive about the industry,expose as many people as they can to the positives.Seems a logical approach to have. 

Edited by the galah
  • Champ Post 1

20 minutes ago, the galah said:

its hard to work out why they haven't tapped into what you produce.

Harness racing people very often can't seem to all agree on a lot,yet everyone who's aware of the unhinged material agree it is something that taps into whats great about the industry. Even the regular promotion of the dunn stable,who you are associated with, is viewed as a positive insight into how the leading stable ticks.Its unique in that it shows an enjoyable work environment for the young people employed by that stable.The beach reports paint a picture of hard working,honest ,differing personalities and horses,from differing stables,who have a job they really enjoy.

If HRNZ want people to think positive about the industry,expose as many people as they can to the positives.Seems a logical approach to have. 

I've kept very quiet in the hope something will change but unfortunately we keep going down the same path and think we are traveling alright we clearly aren't.  For some bizarre reason we look at last year's figures and see we are doing the same and think it's alright.  Lookout when I start getting vocal, it's getting very close hopefully not to late.i have built up a large following for a good reason.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Just to add Unhinged, I like your interviews and I know your passionate about the harness game.

But my views don’t change on that track yesterday. Let’s see what Geraldine offers Friday, 

Hopefully for the industry a bumper crowd and big figures, if it's not a holiday down south don't be disappointed my prediction they have been thrown another bad date.

1 hour ago, Unhinged said:

Kerry O'Reilly is in charge but before we go any further here's a few things to think about,  we have one part time worker all the rest of the property including the farm is done by volunteers , Methven is very close to the alps very different weather patterns to the plains , this meeting is very late in the season we definitely wouldn't want to run a meeting any later in the season , we had alot of rain over the last week. To be racing at all is a credit to the hard working team looking after the track that being said we are always looking for more help  so if you think you know  more about track preparation than Kerry and Ricky feel free to give me  call. Thank you in advance Nigel 027 328 2206

you did not read my posts I commented how good Ricky may made of track preparations

On 16/04/2023 at 9:24 PM, Unhinged said:

While Newmarket may have used rather intemperate language, his point is an extremely valid one. Even Stevie Wonder could have seen the grass was far too long, and the comparison with Oamaru a few weeks earlier stood out like balls on a gelding.

As for addressing committees, all-volunteer maintenance etc, these are just deflecting the issue — when you're looking to get people to punt their money, potentially lots of it, they have the right to expect management of a professional quality.

• Like 3

On 17/04/2023 at 2:49 PM, the galah said:

How things have changed.

One thing that's changed is that most people (well, most I know, and certainly the ones that punt a lot) place their bets on their TAB accounts via their phones rather than at the on-course tote windows. So trying to compare current on-course turnovers with historic ones is likely to be misleading and things may not be (quite) as bad as those on-course figures indicate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basil said:

One thing that's changed is that most people (well, most I know, and certainly the ones that punt a lot) place their bets on their TAB accounts via their phones rather than at the on-course tote windows. So trying to compare current on-course turnovers with historic ones is likely to be misleading and things may not be (quite) as bad as those on-course figures indicate.

Comparing todays on course turnovers with those of the past is relevant in many ways,the most obvious is they are a clear indication of the number of people who attended.Given the decline,there should be some reflection on the impact  and contributing factors.

I agree with your comment that more people bet on their accounts via phones.But just stating that doesn't even scratch the surface of the negatives that goes with that.I know things have changed,but i think they have gone too far.

It reminds me of a conversation i once had with a former pokie addict. He told me the worst thing about gambling on the pokies was that it was just you and the pokie machine. He told me,look around next time you observe the players on the pokie machines,there is very little social interaction,little emotion shown,little empathy,etc ,etc....

One of the most important and appealing things that harness racing has, is providing a venue where people with a shared interest can come together and have meaningful social interaction ,enjoying the spectacle of watching talented human and equine athletes display their skills, athleticism and courage.People don't just come to a racecourse to gamble. Punters are drawn by the whole package.  

The deliberate push by the TAB to have punters,whether they be serious or recreational, use electronic devices has helped undermine one of the main attractions of the sport.Not only on course,but also at TAB agencies we see the push to dehumanize it all.The racetrack(or tab)also once was a place where you could go and hone your human interaction skills,read body language ,empathy,moods,etc. That no longer applies.

So the point i make is it has been a deliberate policy of the TAB to prioritise the use of electronic devices,and the negative consequences of such a policy never seem to be given any consideration. 

To me it seems the defintion of the health of the industry has focused too much on the $,and as a consequence factors just as important in its health have been ignored.

Its like the TAB would rather return a profit from a smaller pool of punters,than return a similar type of profit from a much larger pool of punters. I can't follow the logic in some of the decisions of the likes of the TAB.

I also think the HRNZ policy of not incentivising clubs to get larger public numbers on course,and the resulting increased turnovers,is not a good strategy.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 2