Bit Of A Yarn

brent mangos

Seems some drivers get as unhappy as the punters if they don't get a clear run. It looked liked mangos was never really in the clear until after the finish when driving treacherous reign in race 7. Then when he got into the clear after the finish he seemed to lose his compass and ran the horse outside him off the track for no apparent reason. You don't see that very often. Funny in some ways,not so in other ways.I wonder what mr mangos will be  thinking when he watches the video of his drive after the finish.

Edited by the galah
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the galah said:

Funny in some ways,not so in other ways.I wonder what mr mangos will be  thinking when he watches the video

hahaha 😄 yeah Nicki Chilcott laying in on him all the way up the Straight keeping him on the back of the winner. He decided he'd had enough of the sight of her as they were pulling up 😂.

$400 difference between 3rd and 4th prizemoney lol.  Mango was on a Hat-trick (maybe for the first time ever ? lol) after winning races 5 and 6 just prior . so must of been annoyed to not get the three in a row ?.

That winner WHISPERING ARTIST raced by John and Trish Green (who raced The Agent Orange with Hughes) looked real smart coming from last at the quarter to win. Another 'real good one' on their hands by the look of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

hahaha 😄 yeah Nicki Chilcott laying in on him all the way up the Straight keeping him on the back of the winner. He decided he'd had enough of the sight of her as they were pulling up 😂.

$400 difference between 3rd and 4th prizemoney lol.  Mango was on a Hat-trick (maybe for the first time ever ? lol) after winning races 5 and 6 just prior . so must of been annoyed to not get the three in a row ?.

That winner WHISPERING ARTIST raced by John and Trish Green (who raced The Agent Orange with Hughes) looked real smart coming from last at the quarter to win. Another 'real good one' on their hands by the look of it. 

It looked like chilcott just maintaining a straight course,as she was entitled to do.

As you say,he had just driven well to win the previous 2. You would think he would have been very happy.Directing chilcott towards the fence after the finish ,simply because he didn't get a run, was a bit of poor sportsmanship. I think he probably regrets it now.

The hughes are good trainers and their horses always consistent and well prepared. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, the galah said:

It looked like chilcott just maintaining a straight course,as she was entitled to do.

As you say,he had just driven well to win the previous 2. You would think he would have been very happy.Directing chilcott towards the fence after the finish ,simply because he didn't get a run, was a bit of poor sportsmanship. I think he probably regrets it now.

The hughes are good trainers and their horses always consistent and well prepared. 

I noticed that myself Galah.  Wasn’t sure if Mangos horse was just running out by itself or if Mangos was doing it on purpose. If the latter is the case it was very childish behaviour by Mangos.  Chilcott was absolutely entitled to hold her ground.  In fact I feel she was obliged to so as to give her horse the best possible chance of placing. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I see mangos got suspended for 6 days.

Seems they didn't believe his defence that it was caused by gear failure.He also claimed chilcott drove dangerously by not letting him push her out wider. They didn't believe that and found chilcott was allowed to maintain a straight line as she was ahead of mangos as he tried to push her out.

Apparently it was also observed that he had "words"  with n chilcott, who said his comments to her just before they went off the track indicated he was a bit angry about something,a bit abusive and upset".

The adjudicators who heard the case said they would have been given mangos another couple of days suspension but because j cox only got 7 days,they felt cox's was the more serious and therefore only suspended mangos for the 6 days.

I think the surprising thing about that case was that Mangos is still maintaining he did nothing wrong throughout the whole episode. 

Edited by the galah

17 hours ago, the galah said:

I see mangos got suspended for 6 days.

Seems they didn't believe his defence that it was caused by gear failure.He also claimed chilcott drove dangerously by not letting him push her out wider. They didn't believe that and found chilcott was allowed to maintain a straight line as she was ahead of mangos as he tried to push her out.

Apparently it was also observed that he had "words"  with n chilcott, who said his comments to her just before they went off the track indicated he was a bit angry about something,a bit abusive and upset".

The adjudicators who heard the case said they would have been given mangos another couple of days suspension but because j cox only got 7 days,they felt cox's was the more serious and therefore only suspended mangos for the 6 days.

I think the surprising thing about that case was that Mangos is still maintaining he did nothing wrong throughout the whole episode. 

Chilcott isn't the most popular driver amongst the driver ranks.  FFS racing isn't tiddly winks.  

No harm or injury was caused and I'm sure Chilcott's feelings weren't hurt.  

27.  “Improper” Driving will take all manners of different forms.  They may range from very serious, high end, to less egregious.  Penalties accordingly will vary widely depending upon the severity of the behaviour.  This was not at the high end, yet still serious as being a deliberate act of retribution towards another Driver.  The Adjudicative Committee assesses this at least of midrange improper.  It adopted a starting point of 8 days suspension as per the Penalty Guide.  But the Adjudicative Committee does not consider the level of prohibited behaviour reaches the level of RIB v Cox – involving punching another horse.

28.  From the starting point, there are no relevant aggravating factors.  Presenting a defence, which fails, is not an aggravating factor.  It is simply unable to be considered as mitigating, there being no remorse or contrition as none existed.  The Adjudicative Committee takes into account as mitigation, Mr Mangos’ long history (over 14,000 drives and 1500 winners) with a good record (apart from whip related offences).  It affords him a discount of 25% to reflect this.  The Adjudicative Committee is mindful of the fact that what occurred and what he did resulted from a momentary “loss of blood” and good sense when upset.

Has anyone noticed that the Judgements are reading more and more like one delivered from the Supreme Court?  What remuneration is Gendall KC on?  I hope he isn't paid by word or precedent citation!

Actually every charged driver should plead not guilty and appeal.  The RIB will grind to a halt and go bust.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Has anyone noticed that the Judgements are reading more and more like one delivered from the Supreme Court?  What remuneration is Gendall KC on?  I hope he isn't paid by word or precendent citation!

I was wondering what the KC meant until it dawned on me it meant king and was no longer QC.

I suppose he sounds like a high court judge because he was one i think. Also at one point chairman of the parole board and drug free sport nz.

You would think he might be a hard man to win against if appealing one of his decisions. 

Edited by the galah

21 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Actually every charged driver should plead not guilty and appeal.  The RIB will grind to a halt and go bust.

It may also send the drivers broke.  There is a job there for a retired legal person, or a budding lawyer.  Imagine cutting your teeth on all of the appeals in the three codes on a legal aid type arrangement.

15 hours ago, the galah said:

You would think he might be a hard man to win against if appealing one of his decisions. 

Not necessarily but I guess that's why the RIB are paying out big dollars and we get these long winded legal judgements.  I doubt Gendall KC is doing it as a hobby.

Where's @Thomass?  He touted this new setup would cut costs and stop all this BS and we'd have more integrity!!!