Bit Of A Yarn

why don't we focus more on the positives

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember both of them but even more so with Dunhill. Did he have his debut run at Nelson? 

Nelson Trotting Club

Saturday, 29 January 1983
Last updated 02/07/2023 at 13:51 pm
Race 8 - Cable Price Toyota Three-Year-Old Classic, $4700, 3YO PACE, 2200m

Weather:
Fine
Track:
Fast  (Richmond Park (Grass) - Grass)

SHOW STIPES
Participants for Race 8: Cable Price Toyota Three-Year-Old Classic
Place Book Horse Barrier Hcap Stakes Fav Time Margin Driver Trainer
1 1 Lyndon Robert   fr 3,055.00 2/1 2-53.6   R J Dunn Robert Dunn
2 2 Dunhill   fr 940.00 1/2     B J Hill Brian Hill
3 3 Saboli   fr 470.00 4/4     M R DeFilippi Jack Roulston
4 4 Bogart's Song   fr 235.00 10/10       Murray Hamilton
5 5 Lord Kevello   fr 0.00 5/6       Peter Hope
6 6 Lauder Bogart   fr 0.00 8/9       Douglas Hamilton
7 7 Taumutu Lad(1979)   fr 0.00 7/8       Frank Bennett
8 8 Crafty Admiral   fr 0.00 6/5       Brian Hill
9 9 Hapuka Smith   fr 0.00 3/3       Ray Morris
10 10 Valentino(1979)   fr 0.00 9/7       George Noble
Total Stakes: $4,700.00  

Scratchings

Place Book Horse Barrier  
SCR 11 Magpie    
Dividends
$2.75. $1.15. $1.40. $2.40. Quinella $2.55.
Margins
1/2 length, 1/2 length, 1/2 length
Times
Mile Rate: 2-06.9

48 minutes ago, Walt said:

I remember both of them but even more so with Dunhill. Did he have his debut run at Nelson? 

No unfortunately his debut race was a pipe opener penalty bearing race at Waterlea on the Saturday prior to Kaikoura on the Tuesday.  He hit the front and Brian Hill the driver was leaning out of the cart trying not to win.  Won by a head.  Got penalised 30m for Kaikoura last going into the final turn 8 or 9 wide on straightening and broke.

Pipped by Nostradamus in the Orari Challenge Stakes - by no more than the thickness of a credit card.

Won the Timaru Challenge Stakes.  Stayed the night at Ted Lowes in Hinds on the way there and back.  Ted took him for a jog down on his track - ran a furlong in 12 which Ted said was the fastest any horse had gone.

Ran a great race in Might Me's Derby.  Not a good drive as Brian took on Georgie Shand on Borana for the lead.  Georgie didn't hand up for anyone.

Great times in the Hill stable - a team of top 2 and three year old pacers. As well as Macshane.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

As for High Chaparral Dad and Joe Hill had a lot of fun setting him up for the punt.   Big win at Ashburton one day which I remember well.  Again we had stayed at Ted Lowe's and I got to see Wag - once held the NZ mile record.  I was a young lad and cut a lock of hair off Wags tail and tied it to High Chaparrals hopples at the races.  He won well.  After that every now and then old Ted would send an envelope in the post with a lock of Wags tail.

I also remember vividly that day because what I had done was written up in the Ashburton paper.  Not to forget that I was left to walk the horse around in the rain after the race.  Dad and Joe forgot about me while they drank whiskey and counted the cash in the oncourse bar.  I was too scared to put the horse in the stalls on my own because it was really busy and noisy with horses kicking everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Walt said:

Nelson Trotting Club

Saturday, 29 January 1983
Last updated 02/07/2023 at 13:51 pm
Race 8 - Cable Price Toyota Three-Year-Old Classic, $4700, 3YO PACE, 2200m

Weather:
Fine
Track:
Fast  (Richmond Park (Grass) - Grass)

SHOW STIPES
Participants for Race 8: Cable Price Toyota Three-Year-Old Classic
Place Book Horse Barrier Hcap Stakes Fav Time Margin Driver Trainer
1 1 Lyndon Robert   fr 3,055.00 2/1 2-53.6   R J Dunn Robert Dunn
2 2 Dunhill   fr 940.00 1/2     B J Hill Brian Hill
3 3 Saboli   fr 470.00 4/4     M R DeFilippi Jack Roulston
4 4 Bogart's Song   fr 235.00 10/10       Murray Hamilton
5 5 Lord Kevello   fr 0.00 5/6       Peter Hope
6 6 Lauder Bogart   fr 0.00 8/9       Douglas Hamilton
7 7 Taumutu Lad(1979)   fr 0.00 7/8       Frank Bennett
8 8 Crafty Admiral   fr 0.00 6/5       Brian Hill
9 9 Hapuka Smith   fr 0.00 3/3       Ray Morris
10 10 Valentino(1979)   fr 0.00 9/7       George Noble
Total Stakes: $4,700.00  

Scratchings

Place Book Horse Barrier  
SCR 11 Magpie    
Dividends
$2.75. $1.15. $1.40. $2.40. Quinella $2.55.
Margins
1/2 length, 1/2 length, 1/2 length
Times
Mile Rate: 2-06.9

Good stakes back in 1983, 40 years ago!

$4,700, so have doubled in the last 40 years!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief Stipe said:

As for High Chaparral Dad and Joe Hill had a lot of fun setting him up for the punt.   Big win at Ashburton one day which I remember well.  Again we had stayed at Ted Lowe's and I got to see Wag - once held the NZ mile record.  I was a young lad and cut a lock of hair off Wags tail and tied it to High Chaparrals hopples at the races.  He won well.  After that every now and then old Ted would send an envelope in the post with a lock of Wags tail.

I also remember vividly that day because what I had done was written up in the Ashburton paper.  Not to forget that I was left to walk the horse around in the rain after the race.  Dad and Joe forgot about me while they drank whiskey and counted the cash in the oncourse bar.  I was too scared to put the horse in the stalls on my own because it was really busy and noisy with horses kicking everywhere.

Love hearing these stories Chief. Joe and Brian stood head and shoulders over top of the South trainers back in the day.  Noel Berkett a distant second.

I remember Nostradamus well. Peter Jones had him for a while. I always respected the stock of Boyden Hanover. 

We remember the connection between Peter Jones and another ex George Shand horse Borana. Most rivals didn't bother having a dig for the top when George was there. He had the talented but erratic Mighty Gay. Try naming a horse that these days :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walt said:

and of course you could do a hell of a lot more with $4700 in 1983 than you can now. 

At that stage only about 30 horses had cracked the $100,000 in earnings. little chart below from 84' season.

A beauty from the north leading the way with her 47 wins. 

Actually 4 of the top 6 earners were mares . 

there's a Very Nice horse in there at 'number 11' spot (knocking off Robalan and Young Quinn for that place  💰lol  so that's pretty classy lol ..........and 5 of the top 6 beaten in some Big races too 😄🏆🏆🇦🇺  )

images.jpg.e3336a871189e9d961e8b3c8e53e9b0f.jpg

DSC03000.JPG

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

At that stage only about 30 horses had cracked the $100,000 in earnings. little chart below from 84' season.

A beauty from the north leading the way with her 47 wins. 

Actually 4 of the top 6 earners were mares . 

there's a Very Nice horse in there at 'number 11' spot (knocking off Robalan and Young Quinn for that place  💰lol  so that's pretty classy lol ..........and 5 of the top 6 beaten in some Big races too 😄🏆🏆🇦🇺  )

images.jpg.e3336a871189e9d961e8b3c8e53e9b0f.jpg

DSC03000.JPG

What a magnificent list that is Gammalite. Hard to single any horses out as each of them represents top drawer. If my hand was forced I'd probably go Lord Module then Armalight, but soft spots for Hands Down, Our Mana and Robalan. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

14 minutes ago, Walt said:

What a magnificent list that is Gammalite. Hard to single any horses out as each of them represents top drawer. If my hand was forced I'd probably go Lord Module then Armalight, but soft spots for Hands Down, Our Mana and Robalan. 

I think if you were a poker player Walt , your forced hand would be 'Royal Flushed' by my Massive near 200 race winning trio of Dellightful Lady, and the 2 Interdominion Final winners Young Quinn and Gammalite.  

Although my 3 champs had all failed to win the NZ Cup 😪.  so I might be bluffed out of it ?? lol.... 

( 8 of the 24 listed horses did win the Nz Cup in their careers though)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walt said:

and of course you could do a hell of a lot more with $4700 in 1983 than you can now. 

The average house value in New Zealand now costs 28x what it was 40 years ago!

If stakes had increased at the same rate as an average house price increase over the last 40 years, the stake would now be in excess of $130k 😂

Edited by Brodie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Just put up a reel ,1 minute video , not sure if it's the phone or Facebook that let's me do a up to 1 minute highlights reel but can put their pipe music on that, see what you think.

I enjoyed it. Top job.

The video you put together was great.The music does add something.

Just another dimension to a great product.

Trackside occasionally has mainstream music on some of their clips,which is good to watch.Not sure how they access it.I believe some of what you produce is even more suited to music than the ones trackside does. That video you put up today an example.

Theres almost something haunting about what you capture sometimes(not sure whether thats the right word). Thats the type of thing i think the right music can bring out.

Anyway,i have a daily routine of goggling unhinged now,just to see the latest on your website. A bit like i do with bit of a yarn.That and the news.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I think if you were a poker player Walt , your forced hand would be 'Royal Flushed' by my Massive near 200 race winning trio of Dellightful Lady, and the 2 Interdominion Final winners Young Quinn and Gammalite.  

Although my 3 champs had all failed to win the NZ Cup 😪.  so I might be bluffed out of it ?? lol.... 

( 8 of the 24 listed horses did win the Nz Cup in their careers though)  

There is no way I could justify on ability putting most of the horses I mentioned on top of Gammalite, Delightful Lady and Young Quinn. There is an emotional aspect to at least some of my logic. I knew Cecil Devine and his family. I visited his Templeton property every time I was in Christchurch. Lord Module despite being a horse that would bite your hand off was a big fav but knew how frustrated Ces was with his manners on track. I was there when he won his NZ Cup in 1979. It may not go down as an especially strong Cup field but it still makes my hair stand on end when I remember the way he ran his last furlong. I was also there when he won the Matson FFA in 1981 beating Gammalite, Armalight and Hands Down. That race still remains the best and most emotional race I've ever seen 42 years later. It was heart in your mouth prior to the start as usual so when he got away with them  it was game on. His finish was scintillating. I doubt there was a horse on the planet that could have beaten him that night. 

I was there when Armalight won her Cup. We all knew she was very good but I'd never seen a horse do what she did in the same year Lord Module won the Alan Matson. Armalight was sitting parked outside Watbro for pretty much the entire two miles. I assumed she'd put out the white flag in the last half but instead she surged to the top under a grip and then left them standing. She went on to win by a big margin. 

Hands Down (old Bill) was also a big fav. He won three consecutive Easter Cups but his win in the 1980 NZ Cup was epic. He was going up against the mighty Delightful Lady. Hands Down was set to be driven by a young Peter Jones but ran a very ordinary race in the cup trial. DG especially was perplexed. On Cup Day morning he walked the property with his head down deep in thought. When he went back inside he hit his hand on the table and declared old Bill would win the cup later that day. When Peter made his run it looked like he may have gone early especially with Delightful Lady lurking. When they turned for home it looked like the lady may have more left but Hands Down was a warrior and just kept giving. It was a fantastic and very memorable victory. DG was a legend and a truly wonderful man. That victory epitomized his ethos of winning without boasting. 

• Like 4

On 2/07/2023 at 11:43 AM, Gammalite said:

Alistair Lloyd Thomas Lowe  (relative of Ted's is he ? ) 

Not sighted since 2019 .  Driving before that from period 2010 -2019   ,  approxiamitely 200 drives for 2 wins only on a trotter in 2011 season. 

and Training for Alistair Lowe,  in that same time-frame >>>>  200 odd starters for those 2 wins in 2011 and one more win in 2016 when someone drove a trotter to win for him that season.   

One of the nicest people you could ever meet,as is his wife.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Hands Down (old Bill) was also a big fav. He won three consecutive Easter Cups but his win in the 1980 NZ Cup was epic. He was going up against the mighty Delightful Lady. Hands Down was set to be driven by a young Peter Jones but ran a very ordinary race in the cup trial. DG especially was perplexed. On Cup Day morning he walked the property with his head down deep in thought. When he went back inside he hit his hand on the table and declared old Bill would win the cup later that day. When Peter made his run it looked like he may have gone early especially with Delightful Lady lurking. When they turned for home it looked like the lady may have more left but Hands Down was a warrior and just kept giving. It was a fantastic and very memorable victory. DG was a legend and a truly wonderful man. That victory epitomized his ethos of winning without boasting. 

Another treat for you then Walt. Here's a great photo of Hands Down holding out a 'dour' field of stayers in one of the Easter Cup Wins on a heavy track. this one off 25m behind , beating Bonnie's Chance and Trevira both off 10m. 

One of the great Nz Handicap races (Easter Cup)  now consigned to history rather unfortunately.

The great trainer Derek Jones NZMM a humble man and with a great book Win without Boasting , was very pleased to meet him once, think is where got the book from. His grandsons now both in Aus unfortunately for Nz trotting , are both still going >>  Ants and Tim. Here's Derek trying to make off with one of their trophys !! lol......

DSC03001.JPG

DSC03002.JPG

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

1 hour ago, Gammalite said:

Another treat for you then Walt. Here's a great photo of Hands Down holding out a 'dour' field of stayers in one of the Easter Cup Wins on a heavy track. this one off 25m behind , beating Bonnie's Chance and Trevira both off 10m. 

One of the great Nz Handicap races (Easter Cup)  now consigned to history rather unfortunately.

The great trainer Derek Jones NZMM a humble man and with a great book Win without Boasting , was very pleased to meet him once, think is where got the book from. His grandsons now both in Aus unfortunately for Nz trotting , are both still going >>  Ants and Tim. Here's Derek trying to make off with one of their trophys !! lol......

DSC03001.JPG

DSC03002.JPG

Great stuff Gammalite! 

DG's book is a great read. I'm glad you have a copy. Any harness racing enthusiast would enjoy it. The Jones family is harness racing royalty in NZ and for good reason. DG could put people talking nonsense in their place quickly but he was also a very kind and generous man. As you rightly point out, he was also a humble man. His attributes are on show with his wonderful family and extended family. He had much to be proud of.

The Easter Cup being scrapped is not only a sad loss, it's also puzzling that such a time honoured event could not be saved. If you look through the list of winners, you can see just how important a race it was, especially in terms of winners that went on to perform with distinction in NZ's greatest harness race the NZ Cup.

Easter Cup (Group 1)

Generated at 26 May, 2023 at 14:13
1943 - 1951 Easter Handicap, except 1947 - 1948 known as Easter Stakes FFA
Year Month Distance   Horse Hcap Owner Driver Time
Back to Index
2021 Apr 3200m

Self Assured 20m Mrs J L Feiss Mark Purdon 4-00.3

2019 Apr 3200m

Turn It Up 10m J A Gibbs MNZM, L Pilcher, Mark Purdon, Mrs A Gibbs Mark Purdon 3-58.3
2018 Mar 3200m

A G's White Socks Fr G P Hope, P G Laboyrie, P I Baken, Mrs V M Robertson, W R Stewart, Mrs C L Stewart, A R Pullar, Mrs B E Pullar Ricky May 4-02.1
2017 Apr 3200m

Heaven Rocks Fr Mrs G J Kennard, P I Kennard, P J Creighton, Mrs M C Creighton, G R Douglas, K J Riseley Natalie Rasmussen 3-58.7
2016 Mar 3200m

Locharburn Fr K K Chapman, Mrs B G Chapman Dexter Dunn 3-58.9
2015 Apr 3200m

Christen Me 20m C J Roberts, V L Purdon Dexter Dunn 3-57.2
2014 Apr 3200m

Adore Me 10m C J Roberts, P G Kenny, Mrs M L Kenny Blair Orange 3-59.9
2013 Mar 3200m

Terror To Love 10m T McDonald Ricky May 4-02.2
2012 Apr 3200m

Hands Christian Fr D M Dunford, M D Dunford Mark Purdon 4-04.0
2010 Apr 3200m

Sleepy Tripp Fr T D Taylor, Mrs A V Taylor Mark Purdon 4-03.0

2009 Apr 3200m

Monkey King 20m Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 3-58.2
2008 Mar 3200m

Monkey King 10m Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 4-01.8
2007 Apr 3200m

Tuherbs Fr T McDonald, E C Griffin Anthony Butt 4-03.9
2006 Apr 3200m

Baileys Dream Fr Cavalla Bloodstock Limited Ricky May 4-03.6
2005 Apr 3200m

Alta Serena Fr J P Green, Mrs P C Green, Mrs M E Green Brent Mangos 4-01.4
2004 Apr 3200m

Blue Chip Rock Fr W G Hill Ricky May 4-07.0
2002 Mar 3200m   Gracious Knight Fr Happy Valley Syndicate Todd Mitchell 4-06.9
2001 Apr 3200m   Disprove Fr L M Newman, A R Jack David Butcher 4-10.7
2000 Apr 3200m   Facta Non Verba Fr L J Berger, G J Rowe, J G Poppleton Todd Mitchell 4-08.2

1999 Apr 3200m   Homin Hosed Fr Mrs M A Macey, B L Macey Todd Mitchell 4-05.8
1998 Apr 3200m   Anvil Vance 20m Mrs K J Purdon, K J Riseley, G H Beirne Tony Herlihy 4-04.0
1997 Mar 3200m   Bradshaw Fr S C Fisher, B E Rossiter Ken Barron 4-01.9
1996 Apr 3200m   Master Musician 25m R J Dunn, Mrs R M Dunn Robert Dunn 4-01.2
1995 Apr 3200m   Matthew Lee 20m R P Anicich Patrick O'Reilly 4-01.5
1994 Apr 3200m   Desperate Comment Fr G E Pilkington, A R Campbell, J H Mullins Jim Curtin 4-05.3
1993 Apr 3200m   Chokin 15m Pacers Australia Syndications Pty Ltd, M Joyce, J Loughnan, B De Boer Tony Herlihy 4-03.0
1992 Apr 3200m   Insutcha 10m Parnell Syndicate Mark Purdon 4-02.4
1991 Mar 3200m   Blossom Lady 15m Polly Syndicate Anthony Butt 4-03.3
1990 Apr 3200m   Inky Lord 10m G M Saunders Ricky May 4-04.9

1989 Mar 3200m   Microscopic Fr G R Bond, Ms R J McLeish John Hay 4-10.1
1988 Apr 3200m   Luxury Liner 15m R R Reid, Est L F Reid, Mrs J C Reid Tony Herlihy 4-09.6
1987 Apr 3200m   Skipper Dale 10m J A Howard Patrick O'Reilly 4-05.1
1986 Mar 3200m   Skipper Dale Fr J A Howard Patrick O'Reilly 4-10.9
1985 Apr 3200m   Our Mana 10m Mrs J A Barron Colin DeFilippi 4-13.2
1984 Apr 3200m   Norton Fr M W Anderson, L W Anderson Kerry O'Reilly 4-10.4
1983 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 25m W H McAughtrie, Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-09.3
1982 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 25m W H & Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-14.1
1981 Apr 3200m   Hands Down 10m W H & Mrs M F McAughtrie Peter Jones 4-11.2
1980 Apr 3200m   Trevira Fr Mrs M V Hamilton & Mrs J R Marshall Gavan Hamilton 4-06.9

1979 Apr 3200m   Wee Win 10m Mrs J M & M L Thompson Wes Butt 4-09.3
1978 Mar 3200m   Sapling 10m G C Cruickshank & R Given Henry Skinner 4-11.8
  • Champ Post 1

On 7/2/2023 at 2:53 PM, Chief Stipe said:

I was a young lad and cut a lock of hair off Wags tail and tied it to High Chaparrals hopples at the races.  He won well.  After that every now and then old Ted would send an envelope in the post with a lock of Wags tail.

Cool story!!

So many aspects of ground roots racing is not known, ignored and dispensed with by many in charge.  They think the only way to train is locked up like battery hens in major city complexes.  It's the at rural settings where the best yarns are found.

• Like 1

So many parts to this thread are tinged with sadness.  I look at the lists of amazing horses altogether in one spot, in one race, and have to think we will never witness such class competing again.

The list of $100K pacers is a beauty.  So many having won 20, 30 and more is testament to breeding and training.  Seeing Sapling's and Young Quinn's sire named brought back fond memories of Bob Mayne's champ in his older days.  Young Charles was kept in a paddock in Buchanans Road not far from where Coupland's Bakery now stands and I vividly remember he had escaped and was quietly picking on the side of the road one day when I was passing. He was a quiet old boy and I remember taking him by the headcollar and putting him away, no damage done.  I told Mr Mayne later and he made sure the gate was Young Charles proof from that day on.  I read an article where Young Charles lived well into his 30's and Bob Mayne ensured he was buried with an appropriate headstone on his property.  I wouldn't know if it was still that Buchanans Road property.  If so, I hope his grave site didn't suffer the same fate as Colin Jillings' mare Perhaps at Takanini, or Cardigan Bay at Alexandra Park.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Special Agent said:

Young Quinn's sire named brought back fond memories of Bob Mayne's champ in his older days.  Young Charles was kept in a paddock in Buchanans Road not far from where Coupland's Bakery now stands and I vividly remember he had escaped and was quietly picking on the side of the road one day when I was passing. He was a quiet old boy and I remember taking him by the headcollar and putting him away, no damage done

Great effort mate. Nothing like coming across an old Nz Cup runner on the 'wander up the road' lol , to give a pat and lead back home. good on you SA for looking after the old boy 🏆.

Young Charles had a real crack on the track too . as well as siring the champ 'Young Quinn'.

A gallant 3rd to Cecil's 1st Cup winner here , named Van Dieman , (named after Cecil's homeland) and the great Johnny Globe seen in the photo below running 2nd.

Johnny Globe winning the Cup himself a year or 2 later in a WORLD Record 4.07 from 48 yards behind. And 2nd was the Gallant 'Young Charles' and only a Neck margin behind from the champion 'Johnny G' once again......  so close yet so far......

DSC03013.JPG

• Like 1